Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

I used those drawings to build a 3D model of the place and tbh I could've used more!

Also half way through that model I learned item 604 out of 4723 things I learned on this project: the drawings are always a little bit wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Perhaps a little overwhelming but I'm going to :justpost: because we've still got a lot of catching up to do.

It's mid-April now and the same stuff continues, namely interior demo and rear/side-return extension construction.

I was initially concerned that this might be a horrendous mould infestation but no, just bitumen, which is a good thing to put on a hot chimney breast because..?

Not that it matters much, because it's coming out!

In the meantime I'm continuing work on my LED project that I never used (I might use a few bits in the kitchen later):
The most Shenzhen box ever:

24V? 12V? Eh it's all the same.

I waded through hundreds of pages of terrible ISO-standard £500/section protocol documents to make this happen, i.e. proper RGBW/CCT control of a DALI box. Hint: if you're ever working with an international standard and don't want to pay your country's outrageous prices, it's an international standard, buy it from a cheaper county instead. I recommend South Africa.

These mockups should show you what my original idea was:

I then started researching kitchens.

First off, nice, second, I got enough recommendations for induction despite that poll that I'm going to give it a try anyway.

Meanwhile, blocks pared back for stitching.

Door lintel goes on the side extension.

This is where I learned another lesson, by idly measuring the height of it. 2000mm.

Me: "All the external doorways are supposed to be 2100"
Builder: "Nah I took scale off the drawing"
"What, this drawing?"

"Oh, yeah you win that one"

Rear extension continues

Getting access to the rear wall because much like my guns it's about to get jacked up

Shitton of steel arrives

Rear extension skin continues

The rear access is put on hold for a moment while we deal with this wall, which is being removed and a steel put across to pick up the roof above.

Smashy smashy

But wait, what's that hiding off in the other room?

Ugh, mouldy insulation. Either sweating insulation or a flat-roof leak. Put that one on the "deal with later" list.

More smash

Blasted Took!

Wall stitching continues

The set decorators have cleared out the WW1 filming and are gearing up for Mad Max

The front isn't looking much better

but that must mean..

The wall is gone.

I should probably price up all the money spent on the lighting plans. I'll do that next.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Lighting experiment costs:
- Samples of LED strips and control boxes from Shenzhen: £48.61
- DALI control circuits: £34.78

Everything else was bits and kit that I had lying around.

Total spend £105,969.79.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

April 25th.

A couple of asides to begin with. Remember this photo showing the wall ties holding the inner and outer skins of the wall together?

This is what they looked like in 1908:

Also found this, which at first glance is from 1939, but is actually from the 70s:

Speaking of old, crappy things, here's the gas fireplace I removed, with orange marble surround.

So the main work here is to open up the back of the house so it can flow through to the new extension as one room. The process for that is to knock out a few bricks and put in some jacks which hold up the wall while you knock the bottom out.

Unfortunately all the mortar in my house is ancient dogshit and while it's fine and dandy dealing with a distributed compressive force, the moment you start trying to hold up the wall on a couple of points it starts to crack and fall apart.

Big Piece Of Wood to the rescue

Sorry, neighbour's airspace.

With that secured we can fit the steel upstairs to hold the roof

And with that done it's rip out and refit time

Bricks begone!

In goes the new joists, I was away for this so the builder sent selfies

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Things are still happening faster than I can post about them but I will endeavour.

Mid May and the side return extension gets its upper courses.

Garden continues its descent.

In go all the new joists at the back (with treacherous traversal options).

Ceiling joists on the side-return

The master bedroom gets vaulted

The upstairs is getting pretty empty now, at this point I'm living in the sealed room on the left:

but at least a wall is going in:

Wall cap framed out to split the vaulted hallway from the remnant of the attic

Time to reduce the size of the master bedroom to open up the headspace in the hallway.

What's this hiding at the back?

It's the old boiler

Byee

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Some diversions.

These two fellas show up because my drains are full of poo poo, turns out they're very hard to access

The rear extension roof isn't quite weatherproof yet

but it does look nice open

More walls cleared down

Executive toilet stall installed

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

A new trade enters! The sparkies are on site and ripping out all my poo poo.

Time to chuck the rest of that bedroom floor

Hallway head height open

Start ripping out the upper hallway wall

(aaaaaahhh)

If I could keep this open with the same light I would, but it'll be blocked by ceilings

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

The drain people return, it's REALLY hard to get at my interceptor, it seems

And roughing out the kitchen so the sparks know where to put the power

Ghetto power supply (still like that as I sit next to it today)

That's it for now, more later.

Time Trial
Aug 5, 2004

A saucerful of cyanide
How much is fair to expect a contractor to charge for profit and overhead? Have a quote from someone who wants 15 and 15, which seems like a lot. This is for kitchen, baths and flooring. First time working with a renovation contractor, so not sure if that's standard or if I should look elsewhere or try to negotiate.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Time Trial posted:

How much is fair to expect a contractor to charge for profit and overhead? Have a quote from someone who wants 15 and 15, which seems like a lot. This is for kitchen, baths and flooring. First time working with a renovation contractor, so not sure if that's standard or if I should look elsewhere or try to negotiate.

Get two more quotes. At no time mention what others have quoted. Pick your favorite contractor and use the quotes as a guide to negotiate.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Are you saying that there's line items for "profit" and "overhead" on there? If so that's not something I've ever seen either as a client or a contractor myself.

Every contractor I've worked with has either charged an opaque amount for either the whole job or parts of the job and that amount included overhead and margin, or they've charged a day/hour rate in a similar fashion.

For the fitting of my small bathroom this crew charge a standard £3,400 (i.e. he charges that amount for all bathrooms, not that it's necessarily an industry standard). That includes any construction and fitting required, and tiling (inc subfloor and adhesive), but doesn't include the hardware, fixtures, tiles, or grout. I believe he charges similar amounts to fit a kitchen.

I agree with Indolent Bastard's suggestion.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Any civil engineering work I tender at my job comes back with those line items, there are pre agreed maximum percentages and it should allow us to see what exactly we're being charged. Sometimes that means we go with a particular contractor but we supply hardware, because we get a better discount with that manufacture than they do.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

You tear at my dark capitalist heart with your transparency and equitability.

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song before I go / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today

Jaded Burnout posted:

In goes the new joists, I was away for this so the builder sent selfies

This is pretty awesome.

It looks like you were living on site during the whole demo and build? What was that like? How much time did you actually spend on site overseeing the reno?

Time Trial
Aug 5, 2004

A saucerful of cyanide
Yeah he gave me a spreadsheet of all the itemized costs, included profit and overhead line items. I'll go to others to compare. We do have a budget and I've told him the bid exceeds it.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
Loving the work and updates. I like the opened up front entry/staircase a lot.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Leng posted:

It looks like you were living on site during the whole demo and build? What was that like? How much time did you actually spend on site overseeing the reno?

Not only living on site but working there, as I work from home. So I've been on site pretty much 24/7 with the exception of a couple of months where I went to stay elsewhere.

I would not do it again.

Being around made it a lot easier for me to keep an eye on what the builder was doing, not to supervise, I trust them to do things right, but to make sure they're doing the thing that I think they're doing.

Being off-site would involve much more stringent and precise communication than was really workable with this crew, but probably a good idea regardless.

Being on-site saved me, what, 6-10k in rent, but I think it would've given me much much lower stress.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

dreesemonkey posted:

Loving the work and updates. I like the opened up front entry/staircase a lot.

The big gap at the top of the stairs gets half filled back in when the bathroom gets rebuilt, but it does at least clear the entryway itself and removes the header wall over the upper back hallway.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Still in May, we uncover the remaining tilework. Was a shame to rip that out.

This wall was a little.. wobbly.. so we replaced it.

Some temporary "not dying" structures outside my room.

The sparkies get to work.

Clearly it would be too much trouble to specify whether this fuse was 60 or 80 and it's illegal to open it so.. put a call in to UKPN.

More junk

Rear extension gets covered and studwork

Putting in the extra steels and replacing various walls cost £2,640. Total cost so far £114,246.52.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Speaking of some of those walls..

This catnic gotta get raised yo, it was made for a grandma

A craned-neck view of the rafters above the entry hall

Brick up dat window bicth

Side extension gets wrapped and studden

More floors go bye

More power

The oven supply is rated for something like 42A but even that's a push, as the likely range to go in would hit 63A@230V if all of its functions were cranked at once.

Had to move the gas supply

Gas supply work £760.80. Total cost so far £115,007.32.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

This has remained my entire aesthetic for many months now

Uncovered the hearth, and while lifting the floorboards, an old hammer presumably left by the builders.

Downstairs floorboards come up and boy are these joists rotten as heck

And sistered joints propped up on stacks of slate

See ya

Lintel time

Picked out likely choice for internal doors

This spot is probably a good choice for An Art later on

Replacing floor joists £552.00. Total £116,111.32.

Jaded Burnout fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Sep 18, 2017

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

End of May and I spend a weekend or so running some cat 7a. Don't @ me.

Not super fun working up on this

Babby's first toolbelt, I won't work up a ladder again without one

I accidentally burnt out the builder's £300 drill, fortunately the replacement part was £20 delivered.

In the end I wound up getting the builder to finish off the wiring. He used too much so I had to buy another reel. There's like 700m of cable built into this house now.

Network cable £624.85. Drill part £23.98. Total costs so far £116,760.15.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

POSTS!

It's late June and Things are Happening.

The new pad goes under the kitchen, lowering the floor there so we can fit in the new floor height

Up go some stud walls

Underfloor heating on the new downstairs joists

ta-daaa

Decided to add some remote-operated Velux skylights. One in the master bedroom, one above the entryway.

Velux costs: £2,946.10
Total spent: £119,706.24

Jaded Burnout fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Sep 30, 2017

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Going to have to clear out this fireplace at some point.

Network cabling gets finished

Hoofa doofa that bundle.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Time for some more walls to get their second fix boards and plaster.

Still a couple of unfinished areas.

You may have also noticed that the walls with windows on haven't been boarded anywhere. That's because all the windows are being replaced and we didn't want to do the returns until afterwards.

I move back in and settle down to work on the world's worst desk.

Master bedroom starting to look nice. Relatively speaking.

Hallway boarded up.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

With these tools I will make a functioning space.

The spreads are out in force.

Gross

They had built up this extension two-thirds before I'd moved back in, and my only question to them was "why does it not have a damp-proof course?"
I asked this over and over again, explaining that I didn't understand and could they explain why damp would not rise up in that wall.

Despite me accepting their explanations each time, they eventually either gave up or grew a conscience, and knocked it down and rebuilt it with a DPC installed.

Front extension: £2,352.00
Total cost: £122,058.24

Jaded Burnout fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Sep 30, 2017

Applesnots
Oct 22, 2010

MERRY YOBMAS

Can I have that neat old hammer?

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Applesnots posted:

Can I have that neat old hammer?

I might rebury it.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

We're rapidly catching up to current, now 8th September.

Most of the walls have been boarded, the tower's down, and tools are being gathered in the kitchen for removal to make way for the screed.

Entryway (with growing damp patch) still contains the old lovely door and the outside doesn't have a roof, but we can't progress without the new front door

So in the meantime some internals.

Lighting

Rear loft access

Vaulted bedroom ceiling getting a coat

Test fit of power socket

Still many network cables waiting for my attention

Goddamnit guys you got one of the plurals right

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Remember this hallway?

Well because I'm not putting a fire door back there and the stairs are in the front half of the house, there's no longer 30 minute protection from fires breaking out in the kitchen and the front exit could become engulfed in flame. So I need to replace all the windows upstairs with fully opening ones for escape. May as well do the ones downstairs too. And the external doors. This was sort of unexpected in that I didn't find out until we were well underway on the project but I also knew about it months ago.

The window fitters arrive!

New back door

New front door

People then kept showing up at the "front door" which was actually the outer of two doors. If you have to do something 3 times or more, automate it.

8 windows 2 bays and 2 external doors: £8,097.00
Total cost: £130,155.24

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

More walls starting to fill out.

This is the first window in the house to have plastered reveals in 6 months. It makes quite a difference to the appearance.

Tower goes back up and the giant entryway walls get plastered

I get started on some downstairs network backplates.

Having only worked with trunking in the past this was a learning experience, and I wound up circling the room twice in order to fix my first attempts.

An annoying extra cost; I knew the leadwork on top of the bays was tatty but I thought I could put it off longer. Turns out you really need to get it done before rendering the front of the house and I'd just brought that work forward. So in comes a leadworker.

New roofs: £2,640.00
Total cost: £132,795.24

Applesnots
Oct 22, 2010

MERRY YOBMAS

Jaded Burnout posted:

I might rebury it.

Ok, Thats cool.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

POST post POST post POST

22nd September, parts for the downstairs bathroom start to arrive.

Time to remove that old doorway.

Not pictured: the clenching of buttocks as a single screw is removed and this entire set of bricks shifts downwards

The one screw that was holding it all up:

Cursed again by the 100 year old mortar having lost its tensile strength long ago. The only thing holding up the top-front of the house at this point is the dot & dab load-bearing plasterboard.

New lintel time

Phew.

Lintel mats & labour: £100.
Total cost: £132,895.24.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Front extension roof headers go in, laser aligned with the internal ceiling

Job done

Now we've fully uncovered these markings I know the house is from 1909, not 1908.

Front extension gets a little plywood and DPC hat to keep the water out until the flat roof goes in

"Level loads only" uh huh

Jaded Burnout fucked around with this message at 10:01 on Oct 3, 2017

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

24th September and prep starts for laying the screed.

At the same time the rendering is underway outside.

Then I notice this cable running through my soffit between the neighbours' houses

I google the name on the box and it turns out to be a house-to-house relay TV cable company that shut down in the 80s. When I talk to the neighbours about it they tell me they never knew what it was and just left it because the unknown is scary. I'll be ripping that out.

Screed prep continues.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
I'm insanely jealous of what you've done to that house. I live in a semi from 1911 and I recognise so many small things.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Be careful what you wish for, the posts don't convey the soul crushing stress of it all.

28th September and after many delays the pour begins.

The levelling process is an interesting one, a 360º laser is set up and these little spider dudes are placed and adjusted using a rod with a laser detector on it.

The guy rotates the rod to adjust the hight of the spider dudes until the detector beeps

This little spider dude in particular was a worry because it kept on going up and up to worryingly near the threshold of the door. But it was fine.

There was some more worry because one of the spots didn't have a lot of space above the pipes for screed, but the builder was willing to take responsibility if it cracks.

So it begins.

And so began 72 hours of house arrest while I waited for it to set. I ate a lot of sandwiches.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
The lake of concrete is quite unsettling.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

After 48 hours the ground was solid enough to walk on lightly with some boards to spread weight. I can tell you it's super weird to walk on a floor that was milkshake 2 days previous.

Freedom!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

The pipes sticking out of the floor at the manifold are creepy and will I suppose remain so forever

Thresholds for internal rooms look good, there's about the right about of difference for the finished flooring.

So there we go, we're up to date. I'll keep postin' when there's somethin' to post.