Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

lets hang out posted:

where are the super slick tires? I've cleaned out every shop that sells parts

They're in the Weapon Shop in the park, which you need to push the story forward a bit to get access to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
Imagine if they did cater to ladies, maybe that banana bar substory would actually go somewhere

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug

tap my mountain posted:

Imagine if they did cater to ladies, maybe that banana bar substory would actually go somewhere

:eyepop:

Haven't seen this yet. Will post a trip report.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
I love that the url for that article is like "20 players are female" and im like that's fair

(i'm female and i love yuya and date)

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

There's gotta be one more bell to crack
Fun Shoe

tap my mountain posted:

Yeah, that ended rather abruptly.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Well that's depressing. My wife finally started playing the series with Kiwami and she absolutely loves it. She's a big fan of gangster anime though so it's not really surprising.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
I love everything so far except the dumb gravure poo poo.

FutureFriend
Dec 28, 2011

yakuza is cool but to put it as nicely as i can, its viewpoint tend to be really socially conservative and all the baggage that comes with it. its kind of a bummer because beating the poo poo out of japan's rude men is something every one can enjoy

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

tap my mountain posted:

I was extremely disappointed with that. I wanted to see Kiryu be extremely uncomfortable with that job.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Ratoslov posted:

I was extremely disappointed with that. I wanted to see Kiryu be extremely uncomfortable with that job.

I had Kiryu going 'yeah, sure, sounds great' and went for the interview. it's 100% genuine and the guy gives you back the 10k with apologies later when the business doesn't start up

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
Motherfucker. Why do Yakuza games not have autosaves again? My game just crashed and I lost about 2 hours of progress, including a bunch of MesuKing poo poo and the last Majima Everywhere battle. gently caress

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
You know you can Save anywhere in Kiwami though right? I mean, yeah it should have autosaved, but at least now you don't have to do entire chunks of story without ever seeing a goddamn telephone.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

precision posted:

You know you can Save anywhere in Kiwami though right? I mean, yeah it should have autosaved, but at least now you don't have to do entire chunks of story without ever seeing a goddamn telephone.

you can WHAT in Kiwami!?

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

eating only apples posted:

I love that the url for that article is like "20 players are female" and im like that's fair

(i'm female and i love yuya and date)

I'm a straight dude and I'm with you 100% on Yuya. Date is in the awkward middle ground of too old and not enough of a silver fox.

Akiyama is my one true husbando, though.

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

I love everything so far except the dumb gravure poo poo.

Jeez, next you're gonna say being a lady means you don't want to collect 0's pervert cards or watch gravure videos so you can unlock the best healing item in the game!

FutureFriend posted:

yakuza is cool but to put it as nicely as i can, its viewpoint tend to be really socially conservative and all the baggage that comes with it. its kind of a bummer because beating the poo poo out of japan's rude men is something every one can enjoy

I was legit shocked when Tanimura's sidestory in 4 with the immigrant orphans had a conclusion more complex than the 'just work hard and you'll be accepted!' one it really seemed to be going for.

Also when (!!!6 spoilers!!!) perfect daughter Haruka really did have sex and also a child.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

RandallODim posted:

Also when (!!!6 spoilers!!!) perfect daughter Haruka really did have sex and also a child.

Won't be a spoiler too much longer, it's the big hook in the "quick blurb about the game" and I doubt it will be different for the NA release. But yeah, when I read that I was like :monocle:

FutureFriend
Dec 28, 2011

RandallODim posted:

I was legit shocked when Tanimura's sidestory in 4 with the immigrant orphans had a conclusion more complex than the 'just work hard and you'll be accepted!' one it really seemed to be going for.

honestly someone's who's more versed in japanese race relationships can tell me if i'm wrong, but one thing yakuza does seem a little bit more progressive on is the idea of just treating different ethnicities like people. like that's basicly the entire plot of 2 even if its riddled with everyone is a secret korean!

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The series is slightly more progressive than usual about several things, but that's definitely the biggest one.

I miss my bro with God Hands :(

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

precision posted:

Won't be a spoiler too much longer, it's the big hook in the "quick blurb about the game" and I doubt it will be different for the NA release. But yeah, when I read that I was like :monocle:

Is the press blurb that it is 100% Haruka's kid or just there is a kid and we think it might be Haruka's but we don't really know because she disappeared for a year and now is in a coma? Cuz I know the latter was part of the Japanese ads, but I'm pretty sure nothing confirmed the former until the game was released.

FutureFriend posted:

honestly someone's who's more versed in japanese race relationships can tell me if i'm wrong, but one thing yakuza does seem a little bit more progressive on is the idea of just treating different ethnicities like people. like that's basicly the entire plot of 2 even if its riddled with everyone is a secret korean!

precision posted:

The series is slightly more progressive than usual about several things, but that's definitely the biggest one.

The games get better about a number of things with time; the Snake Flower Triads in 1 are pretty out there except for 'they're some Chinese dicks' if I remember correctly, and I don't know if Kiwami does much to change that, but by 0 we've got the plight of half-Chinese Makoto and Tachibana, and Oda's relatively nuanced, too. And, yeah, Lee, who was the realest bro.

hamburgers in pockets
Jun 18, 2005

Yeah, that's blood. It'll get better before the show.

precision posted:

Yeah...I hate to just give all the stupid trans stuff in Yakuza games a pass because "well, that's just Japan," but I really do love how Kiryu's always been a fairly progressive dude for being a super hard-boiled ex/current yakuza. Like the Be My Baby quest in 2, he doesn't really judge the guys at all and just tries to politely excuse himself, then in 0 he's lecturing people for judging perverts and helping out a dominatrix because he's just a cool guy. Even in Kiwami it's refreshing that his interactions with Rina at Shine are really matter of fact about her sexuality, although I'm fully expecting them to pull a Naoto from Persona 4 and have him heal her with the power of his dick once the questline's over, but again, it's Japan. Baby steps and all that.

That being said, I think the biggest reason I'm excited for Kiwami 2 is seeing Be My Baby in full HD. I only played through Yakuza 2 once but holy poo poo did that one sidequest stick with me.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...
Be My Baby Kiwami will be amazing.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Oh god the BADboy side story, I'm in tears

Highest Cactus
Jul 25, 2007

News: Mysterious illegal cookies seized. "Tastes terrible," says police.

32:28 - 64.06%

Couldn't finish the very last pocket circuit race, and I still didn't have enough cards to battle The Professor. I only got like half of the Dragon upgrades, literally couldn't find majima for like 10 hours until I looked up where to find his traffic cone. Yakuza 0's substories were way more fun, but I still played this in 8-9 hour chunks. Fights that pissed me off the most: end of the Funeral because you don't have really any abilities, Bloody Eye gang leaders because that little guy kept stun locking me and eating up all my heat, and the second to last boss fight for similar reasons

Yakuza Kiwami confirmed Good Game

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yeah Dragon of Dojima style and Majima Everywhere isn't a great idea because it means that unless you deliberately grind it out you're never going to unlock any of the good skills before the end of the game and there's nothing to use them on. Even if you do try you'll sometimes find yourself gated by story progress.
Similarly Komaki moves being gated behind spending ages in the colosseum also sucks.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
At which point does Dragon style become good? I'm on C level Majima and it seems sluggish, with very short combos and slow to get Heat with.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

Yeah I am 10~ hours in and it feels very poo poo, especially compared to the utter savagery of brawler, just really slow and stiff. I have been going out of my way to do Majima stuff as well but heat generation super slow and the normal basic attacks don't seem like much.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Fat Samurai posted:

At which point does Dragon style become good? I'm on C level Majima and it seems sluggish, with very short combos and slow to get Heat with.

I'm on 50% completion, 30 hours and Majima rank A and so far never.

Apparently Tiger Drop is broken but that requires me getting another like 10000 points in the colosseum and gently caress that.

Highest Cactus
Jul 25, 2007

News: Mysterious illegal cookies seized. "Tastes terrible," says police.

One of the upgrades is actually a speed upgrade for the style, but thats not even available until rank A majima. It ends up feeling okayish, I was starting to use it more in the street fights, but eventually I'd just always switch back to brawler for crowd control and raw damage output

double edit: never touched any of the coliseum, still have PTSD from trying to unlock the amon fight in 0

Highest Cactus fucked around with this message at 10:34 on Sep 4, 2017

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Sakurazuka posted:

So far never

But I have to not-kill or cripple forever 200 dudes with it! :argh:

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Sakurazuka posted:

I'm on 50% completion, 30 hours and Majima rank A and so far never.

Apparently Tiger Drop is broken but that requires me getting another like 10000 points in the colosseum and gently caress that.

Tiger Drop is indeed hilariously broken. I never even touch any of the other stances anymore because dropping SSS-rank Majima in 4-5 Tiger Drops + a heat move or two is too goddamn funny. I walk all over Charon Martinez and do the last colosseum gp just because it cracks me up that pretty much everyone goes down after two punches.

That said, the Majima Everywhere and Dragon of Dojima stuff is neat in theory, but generally just feels bad. Making the Essence of Extreme Dragon the third to last thing you unlock when you've probably already fought Mad Dog Majima several times felt particularly bad.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Can you fight Majima while he's "on a break" in chapter 5 or does he not wander around again until you're past his story lock?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

If he's stood outside the entrance to West Park he won't do anything until you move the story forwards.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Yeah that's where he is. Thanks

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Can you fight Majima while he's "on a break" in chapter 5 or does he not wander around again until you're past his story lock?

Gotta take those union-mandated breaks, man.

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

:eyepop:

Haven't seen this yet. Will post a trip report.

Reporting: this was underwhelming.

Beelerzebub
May 28, 2016

I came here to laugh at you.

Sakurazuka posted:

Yeah Dragon of Dojima style and Majima Everywhere isn't a great idea because it means that unless you deliberately grind it out you're never going to unlock any of the good skills before the end of the game and there's nothing to use them on. Even if you do try you'll sometimes find yourself gated by story progress.
Similarly Komaki moves being gated behind spending ages in the colosseum also sucks.

They should have kept it at 1 style and progression the same as in the original or replace brawler with Dragon style and made it not poo poo imo. Also, how do you stop bosses from regenerating health?

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

There's gotta be one more bell to crack
Fun Shoe

Poops Mcgoots posted:

That said, the Majima Everywhere and Dragon of Dojima stuff is neat in theory, but generally just feels bad. Making the Essence of Extreme Dragon the third to last thing you unlock when you've probably already fought Mad Dog Majima several times felt particularly bad.

The best way to stop this if you don't have it unlocked is to take out a weapon (assuming you have enough Heat) and just do a heat action with whatever weapon. It does the same thing as the dumb boss heat climax moves.

In my case, I just whack the poo poo out of Mad Dog Majima with a couple of pink fans.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Beelerzebub posted:

They should have kept it at 1 style and progression the same as in the original or replace brawler with Dragon style and made it not poo poo imo. Also, how do you stop bosses from regenerating health?

Unlock the Essence of Extreme {Blank} for each form, then when they go into regen mode, switch to the style that matches the colour of their aura and you'll get a special Heat prompt.

Dragon style also gets fairly useful once you get far enough into Komaki to unlock the 'does more damage to boss enemies' upgrade. Plus the Tiger drop and some of the other Heat actions like the counter for flanking attacks.

Majima at S rank is starting to get the Mr Shakedown problem of not being hard per se, just being a wall of HP.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

They could have probably toned down the amount of times you need to fight Majima in Majima Everywhere but I honestly didn't mind since his fights have been the most fun and challenging to me on Hard (outside story boss battles). On top of that he gives a shitload of exp, so I've been enjoying that aspect.

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

Man, Yakuza 3. I went ahead and started a New Game +, based off my clear save from six years ago, and I'm in this weird spot of not remembering things until they start happening. After 11 hours, I've just now gotten to Kamurucho and the plot is beginning to move. I'm all invested in it now, so...

If Majima Everywhere was all unique, scripted stuff, I'd have done it all, because that stuff was great. But the repeated fights in the same places with the same dialog took all the fun out of it. I'll just stick with Brawler and Beast, thanks.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Majima has been on break for the last like 6 hours and I miss him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Yakuza 3 is the first game I played in the series and I'm never ever gonna forget the moment that game sold me on the entire series.

It's when the big angry bald dude starts slapping all his subordinates in a row to psyche them up CAUSE ITS TIME FOR A GANG WAR BABY.