Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast
I'm a total NL Central homer, but who on earth musters the effort to hate Ian Happ, Lance Lynn or Randal Grichuk? And what's there to hate about Wilson Contreras or Kyle Hendricks?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
Maybe Contreras or Hendricks owned their team really hard one time and they never let it go or something, I don't know.

Here's the list of dudes who received at least one vote of each.

Polarizers posted:

Albert Pujols
Anthony Rizzo
Brandon Crawford
Chris Sale
Clayton Kershaw
James Shields
Jason Heyward
Javier Báez
José Bautista
Josh Donaldson
Kris Bryant
Kyle Hendricks
Kyle Schwarber
Madison Bumgarner
Mike Moustakas
Mike Trout
Willson Contreras
Yadier Molina

I have theories on why some of them ended up in this list (Madison Bumgarner, for example, is a really good pitcher despite his odious personality, and is personally responsible for some of the Giants' most electric post-season wins), but it boggles my mind that two separate people even remembered that James Shields exists.

YeahTubaMike fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Sep 2, 2017

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Billy Butler: Fat Guy by Day, Doubles Machine by Night

YeahTubaMike posted:

Maybe Contreras or Hendricks owned their team really hard one time and they never let it go or something, I don't know.

Here's the list of dudes who received at least one vote of each.

I have theories on why some of them ended up in this list (Madison Bumgarner, for example, is a really good pitcher despite his odious personality, and is personally responsible for some of the Giants' most electric post-season wins), but it boggles my mind that two separate people even remembered that James Shields exists.

You forgot Moose, no?

Also I hosed up by not voting for Adam Jones. No way he deserved only 1 pt on the loved list.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

alpha_destroy posted:

You forgot Moose, no?

Yes I did. Good catch!

quote:

Also I hosed up by not voting for Adam Jones. No way he deserved only 1 pt on the loved list.

I didn't vote for him either. The only thing I really know about him is that Boston fans were racist toward him (no surprise there, honestly) and that ridiculously amazing WBC catch, so I'm comfortable with having left him off my ballot.

JeterianGiftBasket
Jul 9, 2016

#re2pect
My votes:

Love:
  1. Aaron Judge
  2. Mike Trout
  3. Gary Sánchez
  4. Jose Altuve
  5. Bryce Harper
  6. Joey Votto
  7. Didi Gregorius
  8. Clint Frazier
  9. Ichiro Suzuki
  10. Giancarlo Stanton

Hate:
  1. Jose Reyes
  2. Aroldis Chapman
  3. Daniel Murphy
  4. Jeurys Familia
  5. Addison Russell
  6. Logan Morrison
  7. John Jaso
  8. Alex Bregman
  9. Jake Arrieta
  10. Miguel Montero

I put together the hated list in a bit of a rush, really, because looking back at the results, I forgot Braun, I forgot Bumgarner, I forgot Bauer, I forgot Bush... (weird that they all start with Bs)

Jaso would have stayed no matter how many I had to add, though. gently caress that guy and his hairbomination.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=
One person hate-voted Ben Zobrist? He's like the least offensive player there is. I guess it could've been an Indians fan mad about game 7.

Also pretty sad that only one person voted for Paul Goldschmidt on their love list. :smith:

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
more than one person hates chris coghlan

indians fans I guess?

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

It's only an avatar if the Cubs get swept.

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

One person hate-voted Ben Zobrist? He's like the least offensive player there is. I guess it could've been an Indians fan mad about game 7.

Also pretty sad that only one person voted for Paul Goldschmidt on their love list. :smith:

Maybe the person doesn't like his walk up music? I dunno. I'm equally confused as to why someone would hate vote him out of all the Cubs players they could have voted for.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

One person hate-voted Ben Zobrist? He's like the least offensive player there is.

Maybe someone hates all the proselytizing. I know it's my least favorite thing about the Cardinals. They're super Jesus-y and it alienates those of us who don't want religion in their sports.

YeahTubaMike posted:

it boggles my mind that two separate people even remembered that James Shields exists.

All the White Sox fans I know absolutely hate him and wish that they didn't have to remember him every 5th day.

alpha_destroy posted:

Sometimes despite being a Cardinals fan online I have good baseball opinions. For instance, I lobbied for more Matt Bush hatred and now...

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

My only regret is I forgot that Matt Bush existed until he came up in this thread.

JeterianGiftBasket posted:

I forgot Bush...

Poque posted:

I forgot about Matt Buuuush

Petanque
Apr 14, 2008

Ca va bien aller

Pancakes posted:

All the White Sox fans I know absolutely hate him and wish that they didn't have to remember him every 5th day.

It me

Though there is something to be said for watching a guy who can't help but give up mammoth homeruns all the time.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Pancakes posted:

And what's there to hate about...Kyle Hendricks?

Having the Cubs fans treat him like the second coming of Maddux instead of a guy having a ridiculous outlier season was pretty irritating last year. If we'd been going down to 20 I'd probably have found a spot for him.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
Wait, hold on, does that mean someone other than me voted for Clayton Richard?

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy

cebrail posted:

He was the only relevant player on this team. For years.

He was also accused of sexual assault!

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

OzFactor posted:

Wait, hold on, does that mean someone other than me voted for Clayton Richard?

Nope, you're the only one.

Anyway, more stats! Of the players who received at least one most hated vote:

*The NL had more hated players AND more intensely hated players than the AL this year. 46 NL players received 806 hate-points, and 38 AL players received 460.

Average points per NL player: 17.5
Average points per AL player: 12.1

*Like last year, the most intensely hated division, with 395 points, was the NL Central. I would say this will probably be the case for as long as Ryan Braun remains a Brewer, but now we know Jake Arrieta is an rear end in a top hat too.

*The least intensely hated division, with 86 points, was the AL Central. Trevor Bauer alone makes up over half of those points.

*The team with the largest amount of hated players was the Chicago Cubs, with 13 players receiving at least one vote. The #2 spot, with 7 players receiving at least one vote, belongs to the San Francisco Giants.

*SAS spreads the hatred among positions pretty evenly. 34 pitchers received 570 hate-points, 41 fielders (25 infield, 16 outfield) received 618, 6 catchers received 74, and 3 DHs received 4. Pitcher is the most intensely hated position, averaging 16.8 points per player. Aroldis Chapman alone contributes over 5 points to that average.

YeahTubaMike fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Sep 4, 2017

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
They hate us 'cause the ain't us

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Popete posted:

They hate us 'cause the ain't us

Kiss the one ring in the past 109 years :whatup:

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
Oh yeah, people are probably salty about Cubs fan posting in SAS, which makes no sense to me because Cubs fan posting in SAS is awesome and funny. Oh well, let them be salty, I guess.

Of the players who received at least one most loved vote:

*The NL had more loved players than the AL, but the love seems a little more proportionate than in the hatred. 51 NL players received 744 love-points, and 46 AL players received 559.

Average points per NL player: 14.6
Average points per AL player: 12.2

I'm going to edit proportions into my previous post about the most hateds, because they're kind of interesting and I don't want my stats to be lopsided. :eng101:

*The most intensely loved division was -- you guessed it -- the NL Central, with 395 points. Chicago Cubs & Joey Votto stans make up about 64.3% of that total.

*The least intensely loved division, with 102 points, was the AL Central. So the NL Central was most intensely loved & hated, and the AL Central was least intensely loved & hated. Moral of the story: SAS needs more Chicago White Sox fans. :haw:

*Chicago Cubs and Toronto Blue Jays had the largest amount of loved players, with 9 each. The #2 spot, with 7 players, belongs to the Los Angeles Dodgers.

*31 pitchers received 281 love-points, 59 fielders (31 infield, 28 outfield) received 945, 6 catchers received 75, and 1 DH received 4. Again, I got curious about the proportions here, and it turns out that outfielder is the most intensely loved position, averaging about 17.7 points per player.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

YeahTubaMike posted:

Moral of the story: SAS needs more Chicago White Sox fans. :haw:

Give it 3 more years or so and they'll be here.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

YeahTubaMike posted:

*The team with the largest amount of hated players was the Chicago Cubs, with 13 players receiving at least one vote.

Wait, who the gently caress on the Cubs is hateable beyond Lackey, Arrieta, Rondon, Strop and La Stella? I mean, sure, Schwarber and Heyward suck out loud, and Russell has those cheating allegations hovering around him, but otherwise they're a pretty likeable team.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

YeahTubaMike posted:

Oh yeah, people are probably salty about Cubs fan posting in SAS, which makes no sense to me because Cubs fan posting in SAS is awesome and funny. Oh well, let them be salty, I guess.

They can be awesome and funny. They can also be insufferable when they're winning and near-suicidal when they're losing, and switch between those two positions multiple times a game depending on the score, the lineup, who's warming up in the bullpen, etc etc etc.

This makes it sound like I hate Cubs posters, which I don't, it's just that with their numbers and their (understandable) enthusiasm over the last couple of seasons they tend to make up a large proportion of N/V and gameday thread posts, which makes them and their tendencies stand out a lot more to the rest of us (or to me, at any rate). Before the Cubs it was Giants posters during the EYB years who were much the same.

Julio Cruz fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Sep 4, 2017

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Give it 3 more years or so and they'll be here.

My girlfriend's family is already lording them getting Robert over me. I think they maybe should wait until he's actually played a game in the majors, but they've had so little to be happy about the past few years.

Julio Cruz posted:

They can be awesome and funny. They can also be insufferable when they're winning and near-suicidal when they're losing, and switch between those two positions multiple times a game depending on the score, the lineup, who's warming up in the bullpen, etc etc etc.

This makes it sound like I hate Cubs posters, which I don't, it's just that with their numbers and their (understandable) enthusiasm over the last couple of seasons they tend to make up a large proportion of N/V and gameday thread posts, which makes them and their tendencies stand out a lot more to the rest of us (or to me, at any rate). Before the Cubs it was Giants posters during the EYB years who were much the same.

There used to be a lot more Cardinals posters than there are now. :(

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

i remember when sox-yankees posts were so out of control that they had to have their own separate GDTs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

R.D. Mangles posted:

i remember when sox-yankees posts were so out of control that they had to have their own separate GDTs

Twitter killed the GDT.

• Locked thread