Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

GAME OVER!

(we'll keep playing)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Hey, I got pushed down a few rankings. Nice work. :toot:

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

The funny/sad part is that Local Transit is a second company I started, and built just local bus routes in non-desert cities, and a single hovercraft to serve a lake. And no didn't make any cash injections, it's built entirely on regular loans.

Here's the full list in 2055:

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
Oh cool, I was wondering if there was a new goon TTD server and here we are!

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

i'm just making GBS threads up the map now practicing pre-signals

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Wish I could join, but I've only got a phone to play with :( Wouldnt have checked for an Android version were it not for this thread though, so thanks!

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

sincx fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Mar 23, 2021

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Ooooh, I love when these OpenTTD servers pop up. I'll deffo be on way too long.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

this current map is sinful and must be destroyed

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
I recommend, if you haven't already, hiking up terraforming costs a poo poo load too to prevent people from just flattening the earf and stuff.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

So checking all the train types, they really hate freight trains. :(

Gamerofthegame posted:

I recommend, if you haven't already, hiking up terraforming costs a poo poo load too to prevent people from just flattening the earf and stuff.
That makes minor terraforming impossible in the beginning.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

Will there be a new map put up today?

Macarius Wrench
Mar 28, 2017

by Lowtax
Aw man transport tycoon, I used to spend hours recreating maps of Scotland to scale (roughly) but it was so draining I'd rarely get round to playing the actual game.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Hahaha wow 50k population in Trinham.

Also continuing to take advantage of breakdowns being off to keep me running steam trains :v:

Drunk Badger
Aug 27, 2012

Trained Drinking Badger
A Faithful Companion

Grimey Drawer

Poil posted:

So checking all the train types, they really hate freight trains. :(

That makes minor terraforming impossible in the beginning.

But where's the fun in bulldozing all your problem away?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Oh hey look at this...

I managed to get the magical performance rating of 1000! I'm fine with a reset now :discourse:

E: Also here's the big cities and industries:

nielsm fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Sep 4, 2017

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Niiiiiice. :)

Are you not supposed to use freight trains or am I missing something?
Trains: A few slow trains can haul freight
Monorail/Metro: Slow passenger only
Maglev: Fast passenger only
Vacuum Tube: Very fast passenger only

Obviously there is no need to haul 10 wagons of coal at twice the speed of sound, and it would be impossibly expensive and unprofitable in real life, but is there even a single cargo train past the 70s? I assume we can find a mod but I have a sneaking suspicion it's only going to be "this model hauls 500 wagons of ore across a mountain chain at 30km/h in Scandinavia so it's the same here" kind of crap that's neat but actually useless in the game. I like freight trains damnit! :(

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

230 km/h is slow?

Though sincx was complaining that there was an earlier general-purpose locomotive that does 241 km/h but it gets discontinued at some point and there are only EMU passenger trains to replace it.
(The real-world versions of these are never used for freight, since freight cars are never approved for speeds over 160 km/h.)

As for the other modes...

There is a limited-refittable freight car for the vactube.

Apart from that, there are a few aircraft that can be refitted to move goods.

But they aren't as interesting when running with less than 1/1 aircraft speed factor.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Yes, they are too slow to be used in one big rail network together with passenger trains. Also mail, goods and diamonds isn't even half of the stuff you can cargo around. I just want one big railroad which branches off to industries and towns with lots and lots of trains all over it going back and forth.

I had completely forgotten about planes, can you build a large plane only transport empire? Carrying wood, ore, oil and all the stuff?

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

sincx posted:

Anime company leader faces
Very thematic for 1880.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

Only registered members can see post attachments!

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

This one's for Stairmaster:

All signals are path signals. This is how I'd design a terminus station with approaches from two directions, so one direction prefers one set of tracks, and the other direction prefers different tracks, and they have less risk of interfering with each other when trains are entering/leaving from different directions at the same time.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Thank you

also symmetric passengers was mistake

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Poil posted:

Yes, they are too slow to be used in one big rail network together with passenger trains. Also mail, goods and diamonds isn't even half of the stuff you can cargo around. I just want one big railroad which branches off to industries and towns with lots and lots of trains all over it going back and forth.

I had completely forgotten about planes, can you build a large plane only transport empire? Carrying wood, ore, oil and all the stuff?
Notably, in real life most countries keep their passenger and freight networks separate because freight trains are slow.

The only big exception is Britain, because we built our railways before keeping the two separate was an idea and no-one wants to go through the hell required to separate them. Amusingly, I've heard railway designers in training flock to Britain not because our system works well, but because it works at all given all the strain it operates under.

Paul.Power fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Sep 5, 2017

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

Stairmaster posted:

Thank you

also symmetric passengers was mistake

What does symmetric passengers do?

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

Atown
Aug 10, 2011

sincx posted:

I'm having to send all ships in every company to depot and then getting rid of them to free up CPU power.

Sorry, seems like the server can't handle ships on a map this big.

Also increased how much time connecting to the server is allowed to take. Hopefully after all the ships are gone things will settle down.

Too bad. Boats were super profitable especially at the start of the game.

I've been having fun with the Japan map though.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

sincx posted:

It's not the boats. See above. It's Amazon.

So two choices:
1. stick with smaller maps (I'm guessing 2048x1024 or smaller would work), or
2. find another dedicated server and load the last save. thoughts? ideas?

Only being allowed to use 10% of what you rented seems like a pretty silly restriction! I'm not too bothered if you have to go for a smaller map.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

Atown
Aug 10, 2011
I'm good with a smaller map. Can't really complain about a free EC2 instance...

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

I'm in however it works. :shrug: OpenTTD is always fun.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Sultan Tarquin posted:

What does symmetric passengers do?

https://wiki.openttd.org/Passenger_and_cargo_distribution

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Boo :(

Boats might be part of the problem, since their pathfinding is arguably harder than rail or road. They have all the water to move on so have to consider more different routes than a train that can just move on the rail it's on.

The Japan map is great fun but if the server can't handle it I'd rather have a smaller map.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I had 30 ships, sorry. :(

The Japan map was interesting but if it's too much of a problem to run it I have no issues with going back to a more reasonable map size.

sincx posted:

Anime faces make everything better.

Yes (I declined that purchase offer), and it's great that they are so terrible. My first attempt using trams in Tokyo and two nearby cities and connect them by train failed so hard I had to start a new company after just a few years.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

Cool beans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sincx
Jul 13, 2012