Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
derp
Jan 21, 2010

when i get up all i want to do is go to bed again

Lipstick Apathy
i dont know but its loving stupid. stop sitting around calculating reasons why you shouldn't play mafia and loving play mafia its why you signed up right

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flerp
Feb 25, 2014
mafia is just an excuse to shitpost

2 penny bottle imp
Jun 11, 2008

I KNOW WHAT YOU DID LAST SCUMMER
## vote RF Because I think he is scum doing a great impression of The Thinker.

:thunk:

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

##vote Stickup

Flamander
May 4, 2009

derp posted:

i dont know but its loving stupid. stop sitting around calculating reasons why you shouldn't play mafia and loving play mafia its why you signed up right

yeah, I guess. D1 is like shitposting central though from my experience, so basically:

flerp posted:

mafia is just an excuse to shitpost

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
wait, are people talking about day 1 like the first 24 hours, or Day One like, the first mafia day...

because killing someone in the first 24 hours okay that can be dumb, but you drat well better kill someone in the first game day every time or that is a lazy/ disengaged town signing their suicide note

sentimental snail
Nov 22, 2007

DID YOU SEE MY
PEYOTE QUEEN?

Mr. F! posted:

##vote Stickup

omg, us

flerp
Feb 25, 2014

derp posted:

wait, are people talking about day 1 like the first 24 hours, or Day One like, the first mafia day...

because killing someone in the first 24 hours okay that can be dumb, but you drat well better kill someone in the first game day every time or that is a lazy/ disengaged town signing their suicide note

yeah i do agree, there should be a lynch d1, but honestly, i have no clue what's going on w/r/t to this game. all of the cases i have seen feel like joke cases so its felt like we're in a weird limbo state between joke and serious phase.

also there's like 3 or 4 posters who are lurking extremely hard and havent posted once this entire long rear end day which is making me v mad.

Mr. F! posted:

##vote Stickup

why?

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

2 penny bottle imp posted:

RF... is ... doing a great impression

Thank you

Flamander
May 4, 2009

flerp posted:

yeah i do agree, there should be a lynch d1, but honestly, i have no clue what's going on w/r/t to this game. all of the cases i have seen feel like joke cases so its felt like we're in a weird limbo state between joke and serious phase.

also there's like 3 or 4 posters who are lurking extremely hard and havent posted once this entire long rear end day which is making me v mad.

why?

I assume it's in response to stickup's vote for him, but I dunno.

votefinder
Jul 6, 2010

scoop scoop
Votecount for Day 1

Retro Futurist (2): The Ninth Layer, 2 penny bottle imp
this is a stickup (2): Kashuno, yronic heroism, Mr. F!, Mr. F!, Kashuno, Mr. F!
The Ninth Layer (2): Retro Futurist, Kashuno
Mr. F! (1): this is a stickup
DivineCoffeeBinge (1): derp
2 penny bottle imp (0): Flamander, Flamander
derp (0): The Ninth Layer, yronic heroism, yronic heroism, The Ninth Layer
got some chores tonight (0): Mr. F!, Mr. F!
Flamander (0): 2 penny bottle imp, 2 penny bottle imp
Kashuno (0): this is a stickup, this is a stickup, Mr. F!, The Ninth Layer, The Ninth Layer, Mr. F!

Not Voting (5): DivineCoffeeBinge, Flamander, flerp, got some chores tonight, Saith

With 13 alive, it's 7 votes to execute. The current deadline is September 04th, 2017 at 8 p.m. CDT -- that's in about 1 hour, 26 minutes.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Deadlines in less than two hours. I don't think we're going to vote anyone out but maybe people will show up and prove me wrong.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
okay i'll help kill opop i guess #vote rf seems better than the other top contenders atm

flerp
Feb 25, 2014
i dont like voting opop but i also dont like no lynching :(

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

flerp posted:

i dont like voting opop but i also dont like no lynching :(

i'll help kill this guy if anyone else is around to switch over

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

This is atrocious.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
what is 'saith' are then even in this game wtf

flerp
Feb 25, 2014
tbf i think most of those people, like saith and chores and maybe flamander will be freely lynchable tomorrow

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

I'll vote for RF, let's not no lynch. ##vote RF

I hate no lynching

flerp
Feb 25, 2014
ugh okay ##vote rf

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

flerp posted:

tbf i think most of those people, like saith and chores and maybe flamander will be freely lynchable tomorrow

if we can get enough votes to kill them :v

flerp
Feb 25, 2014

derp posted:

if we can get enough votes to kill them :v

:(

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
Honestly - and I can clearly see that this isn't a popular position, clearly, but so be it - I'm not certain that a D1 no-lynch isn't better than grabbing someone on the flimsiest of evidence and just hoping they're actually scum. Because they usually aren't. At least by D2 investigative roles have some data and there's some vague hope that we're going on more than just blind gut instinct. It has been some time since I was in a SA Mafia Game, but I do still remember the fairly ridiculous number of times town ended up lynching their Doctor or something on D1 and everyone going "well that sucked but at least we learned something, right guys?" Yeah, what you learned is that you lost a valuable role and the chances of a scum victory increased significantly because you did their loving job for them. Keep telling yourself it was a net positive that you cost Town a potentially useful player on the basis of thinking their jokes weren't funny; maybe you can convince yourself. There's a reason a bunch of non-SA mafia-type games (I'm thinking specifically at the moment of Town of Salem, which no one should play because it's terrible and full of idiots) just skip D1 entirely; it's because a blind lynch is worse than no lynch at all.

Obviously that is very much not the current meta - I don't know what I was expecting but it wasn't the degree of vehemence with which people have disagreed - but that's where I'm coming from.

Having said all of that, that entire premise only works if there are people on D1 who are disagreeing with me and trying to stir the pot by posting and voting, so gently caress, I don't know. A game in which everyone agreed with what I'm saying would probably have a pretty quiet and boring D1, so maybe I'm not as close to a Universal Theory Of Mafia as I think; doesn't change the fact that on Day One I would rather be thought of as terrible for not voting than actually be terrible by costing Town a player.

sentimental snail
Nov 22, 2007

DID YOU SEE MY
PEYOTE QUEEN?
let's kill one of the people actively pushing for a no lynch that would starve this game starved of information of information

sentimental snail
Nov 22, 2007

DID YOU SEE MY
PEYOTE QUEEN?
will kill opop if that's the thing

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

this is a stickup posted:

let's kill one of the people actively pushing for a no lynch that would starve this game starved of information of information

When the information you gain is "well, that was a townie, and no one can even call the votes scummy because we were all baying for someone's blood because for some reason we love to murder," how exactly is that a benefit?

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

When the information you gain is "well, that was a townie, and no one can even call the votes scummy because we were all baying for someone's blood because for some reason we love to murder," how exactly is that a benefit?

It's a benefit because I don't automatically assume I can't find scum on day 1 for no reason besides defeatism.

Yes town players get voted out on day 1. Yes on day 2 you can analyze who voted for bad or no reasons.

Anything you're saying about day 1 you could apply to a day 2 following a day 1 where nobody did anything.

sentimental snail
Nov 22, 2007

DID YOU SEE MY
PEYOTE QUEEN?
a lackluster D1 does not mean that no useful information can be gleamed from poo poo posts during D1, and especially not post mortem

2 penny bottle imp
Jun 11, 2008

I will vote to lynch a lurker if there's one people can get behind. Otherwise, my vote stays on RF. I just think he's being slightly scummy in the way he was trying to control the conversation.

sentimental snail
Nov 22, 2007

DID YOU SEE MY
PEYOTE QUEEN?

2 penny bottle imp posted:

I will vote to lynch a lurker if there's one people can get behind. Otherwise, my vote stays on RF. I just think he's being slightly scummy in the way he was trying to control the conversation.

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Honestly - and I can clearly see that this isn't a popular position, clearly, but so be it - I'm not certain that a D1 no-lynch isn't better than grabbing someone on the flimsiest of evidence and just hoping they're actually scum. Because they usually aren't. At least by D2 investigative roles have some data and there's some vague hope that we're going on more than just blind gut instinct. It has been some time since I was in a SA Mafia Game, but I do still remember the fairly ridiculous number of times town ended up lynching their Doctor or something on D1 and everyone going "well that sucked but at least we learned something, right guys?" Yeah, what you learned is that you lost a valuable role and the chances of a scum victory increased significantly because you did their loving job for them. Keep telling yourself it was a net positive that you cost Town a potentially useful player on the basis of thinking their jokes weren't funny; maybe you can convince yourself. There's a reason a bunch of non-SA mafia-type games (I'm thinking specifically at the moment of Town of Salem, which no one should play because it's terrible and full of idiots) just skip D1 entirely; it's because a blind lynch is worse than no lynch at all.

Obviously that is very much not the current meta - I don't know what I was expecting but it wasn't the degree of vehemence with which people have disagreed - but that's where I'm coming from.

Having said all of that, that entire premise only works if there are people on D1 who are disagreeing with me and trying to stir the pot by posting and voting, so gently caress, I don't know. A game in which everyone agreed with what I'm saying would probably have a pretty quiet and boring D1, so maybe I'm not as close to a Universal Theory Of Mafia as I think; doesn't change the fact that on Day One I would rather be thought of as terrible for not voting than actually be terrible by costing Town a player.

how do you feel about this post when RF is at 4/7 votes 45 minutes before deadline?

sentimental snail
Nov 22, 2007

DID YOU SEE MY
PEYOTE QUEEN?
##vote retrofuturist

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

I could name two or three other practical reasons for not nonlynching too (like scum having more influence on the execution when an even number of players are alive vs odd numbers).

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

The Ninth Layer posted:

This is atrocious.

Agreed

##vote Saith

sentimental snail
Nov 22, 2007

DID YOU SEE MY
PEYOTE QUEEN?
it's suuuper totally okay if we just let this no lynch happen friendos! did you know some people skip d1 entirely because it's such a crapshoot?

yronic heroism posted:

Agreed

##vote Saith

this person is scum too though, seriously. throwing out random votes with poo poo reasons at all times just to say he participated

sentimental snail
Nov 22, 2007

DID YOU SEE MY
PEYOTE QUEEN?
all of these people are not voting, why would you come in 30m from deadline to call out lurkers and non voters by wasting your vote on one

2 penny bottle imp
Jun 11, 2008

this is a stickup posted:

all of these people are not voting, why would you come in 30m from deadline to call out lurkers and non voters by wasting your vote on one

Agreed.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

We are at -2.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Ok but after you idiots kill me please avenge me by killing TNL tomorrow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007