Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

i think i played 1 hour of bioshock infinite when it was free on ps+ and thought it was awful

that is roughly how long i lasted with bioshock 1 as well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
Borderlands 2 started out being a very good game. It was really pretty and the gunplay/exploration was fun.

It was Borderlands 2's endgame that was absolute poo poo.

First of all, to complete any character build, you had to play the 60-hour campaign at least 3 times. But, it didn't matter because by the time you got there, even with an optimally min-maxed build, literally every enemy you fought was the worst kind of bullet sponge that took at least 3 full clips of ammo to kill no matter what gun you were using. Oh, and you die in 1-3 hits. Not bursts, hits.

Borderlands 2 is the best example of the developers obviously not playtesting an endgame I can think of.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Sep 4, 2017

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Wildtortilla posted:

I don't like the way the interface feels either.

now this? this is, unlike my "hit percentages are mean" complaint about the shadowrun games, a very legitimate complaint. you click far away, you run fast. you click close, you run slow, or even just walk. you can't click on doors that you know exist but are in the fog of war, even in friendly areas. half the time you click on an interactable object, it doesn't go through. and when you click on it but haven't reached it yet, the game recalculates your run speed because you're near to the object :downs:

the main hub reapplies the fog of war every time you leave and come back again.

shadowrun... why...

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

I will admit that only getting to play through the campaign a couple of times with each character before things stop being fun limits me to only a few hundred hours of entertainment. Shameful really.

(I've actually put under a hundred hours into Borderlands 2 but still feel like I got far more than my moneys worth).

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

il_cornuto posted:

I will admit that only getting to play through the campaign a couple of times with each character before things stop being fun limits me to only a few hundred hours of entertainment. Shameful really.

(I've actually put under a hundred hours into Borderlands 2 but still feel like I got far more than my moneys worth).

I was agitated because my favorite thing to do in RPGs is to finish building a character, then going to town using them and having fun with how they play.

IMO, Borderlands 2 takes way too long to develop a character (which is okay by itself but not when you have to grind through identical content half a dozen times), and then by the time you do, you find the game has morphed into an unfun bullet sponge hell.

edit vvv: Yep. I remember when I found the cheat engine script that let you set the cool items to drop more than .000000000000001% of the time, and which allowed you to put your own multipliers on your health/shields and enemy health. It made the game infinitely better. Borderlands 2 was really unfortunate because it had all the ingredients to make it a really excellent game that could have given people decades of fun, like on the same level as the old Quakes and Dooms, but the devs tuned and balanced it so astonishingly poorly that they ruined it.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Sep 4, 2017

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Honestly, Borderlands 2 is the kind of game where cheating actually makes it MORE fun. Running around as Gaige with all fully maxed skills and my favourite loadout of rapid-firing, ammo-regenerating weapons was a blast both literally and figuratively.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

GreatGreen posted:

I was agitated because my favorite thing to do in RPGs is to finish building a character, then going to town using them and having fun with how they play.

IMO, Borderlands 2 takes way too long to develop a character (which is okay by itself but not when you have to grind through identical content half a dozen times), and then by the time you do, you find the game has morphed into an unfun bullet sponge hell.

I really hope the people who are designing BL3 have realized this because this was one of my issues with BL2 as well.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

The White Dragon posted:

now this? this is, unlike my "hit percentages are mean" complaint about the shadowrun games, a very legitimate complaint. you click far away, you run fast. you click close, you run slow, or even just walk. you can't click on doors that you know exist but are in the fog of war, even in friendly areas. half the time you click on an interactable object, it doesn't go through. and when you click on it but haven't reached it yet, the game recalculates your run speed because you're near to the object :downs:

the main hub reapplies the fog of war every time you leave and come back again.

shadowrun... why...

In the end game of Returns I was forced to end a turn instead of killing one of the bugs because the icon for shooting them wouldn't appear, and there was no manual way to target from what I could tell. That engine has always seemed a bit clunky to me.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

GreatGreen posted:

Borderlands 2 started out being a very good game. It was really pretty and the gunplay/exploration was fun.

It was Borderlands 2's endgame that was absolute poo poo.

First of all, to complete any character build, you had to play the 60-hour campaign at least 3 times. But, it didn't matter because by the time you got there, even with an optimally min-maxed build, literally every enemy you fought was the worst kind of bullet sponge that took at least 3 full clips of ammo to kill no matter what gun you were using. Oh, and you die in 1-3 hits. Not bursts, hits.

Borderlands 2 is the best example of the developers obviously not playtesting an endgame I can think of.

For a moment I thought "aha, somebody else who agrees about the endgame" but then you were talking about the additional playthroughs which basically nobody except diehard crazies actually enjoy. I just beat the main game as part of my series replay last night and the final act's side missions are pretty bad and feel rushed.

"Completing" a build is a pretty subjective thing. For a single, casual playthrough you get more than enough points to reach one of the big capstone skills and that's perfectly good enough. If you're insane and need to have every last skill point and get yourself decked out in legendary items farmed from raid bosses, then you will certainly pray for death.

Edit: In fairness, it also depends on what class you're building for. You have to suffer through a lot of bullshit to get melee Zero to a workable point, whereas anarchy Gaige is arguably good to go with just the single point you need to unlock anarchy itself and just gets better from there.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Sep 4, 2017

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

John Murdoch posted:

For a moment I thought "aha, somebody else who agrees about the endgame" but then you were talking about the additional playthroughs which basically nobody except diehard crazies actually enjoy. I just beat the main game as part of my series replay last night and the final act's side missions are pretty bad and feel rushed.

"Completing" a build is a pretty subjective thing. For a single, casual playthrough you get more than enough points to reach one of the big capstone skills and that's perfectly good enough. If you're insane and need to have every last skill point and get yourself decked out in legendary items farmed from raid bosses, then you will certainly pray for death.

I think we actually agree then. I didn't like the additional playthroughs. Personally I wish a full character build, in any game with character progression actually, could be completed in, say, 3/4ths of the way through game so you'd have the last quarter to have fun with your complete build. IF you still need more by that point, knock yourself out with NG+, which ideally would be a flat difficulty all the way through, balanced for end-game builds and weapons.

And ok, "completing" a build is subjective, but I assumed the builds were designed with max level in mind because the game has a max level. But like I said, in a perfect world I'd have been happy hitting "max level" and getting all the best-in-slot guns for my build 3/4ths of the way through the first runthrough of the game.

I hate grinding if I'm doing it because I have to in order to accomplish a goal so I can have fun later. I like "grinding" if by grinding you mean just having fun playing through a game and experiencing the content while melting faces using the completely developed character you've built.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Sep 4, 2017

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
I mean, they literally sell the level cap increases in DLC alongside stuff like the dumb endgame raids that all but require the extra stats. :v:

I've always laughed when, after you beat the final boss, the game has the audacity to tell you that "The real Borderlands starts HERE!" and tells you to go start playthrough 2.

Edit: It sounds like we actually play these sortsa games the exact same way. And now that I've gone back and looked at it, I done hosed up and thought you got your capstone a good six levels sooner than you actually do. Never crossed my mind since this recent playthrough has been with an anarchy build so I haven't even cared about any capstone skills.

Edit2: Oh, I see. I got confused because both BL1 and TPS have you cap off your build at 25 where it feels exactly like you want, having your power and getting to use it for the last fourth of the game. Meanwhile 2 forces you to wait.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Sep 4, 2017

Orv
May 4, 2011
I don't know how you guys got past the shooting to ever have an opinion on any kind of end game.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
The combat in Bioshock games feels bad. Shooting enemies feels like it has no effect. Today is the day I declare which video games feel half passed. Bioshocks and Shadowruns top that list!

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

anilEhilated posted:

The guns were boring but they really nailed the powers. It's probably the best wizard simulator out there (barring Dishonored which aims for something quite different).

Magika and Dark Messiah of Might and Magic are both fantastic wizard simulators.

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS
I'm not sure the BioShock dev had gunplay as one of their specialties. Still love the game for the other stuff. Not the bees!

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry
Speaking of mediocre grind fests, I'm enjoying Agents of Mayhem way more than I probably should.

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS

Fart of Presto posted:

Speaking of mediocre grind fests, I'm enjoying Agents of Mayhem way more than I probably should.

How have the bugs and glitches been to you?

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Bioshock's combat feels about the same as Dishonored's combat (or System Shock 2's, obviously, but I wanted to use a more contemporary example). IE, made for ambush tactics and quick fights but absolutely awful if/when you're forced to stand around and just trade hits with somebody. Thankfully once you start stacking research bonuses, tonics, weapon upgrades, and ammo types you can blow pretty much anything's head off with the revolver or even the wrench. If it isn't already being hounded by security bots and turrets because you obsessively hacked everything on the map.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Sep 4, 2017

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

I don't get how people say Infinite nailed the powers you can use because there's actually less variety and interaction with them than there was in the original Bioshock or even Bioshock 2. Too many of them bled over and covered similar roles and utilities in combat with each other even if they were visually distinct and there was much less opportunity within the environment to use those powers on compared to the original, where you could set up clever ambushes and traps if you plan ahead. Like the only moment I can think of in Infinite where you could set up an ambush is early on when you start fighting the Klansmen, compare that to every Big Daddy fight where through clever manipulation you could use him to clear the area of nearby enemies whilst also weakening him down. I also think the two weapon limit is the dumbest, most crippling gameplay decision in the game because it means you usually don't have the ammo to use the weapons you want to use and have been upgrading the entire game so you ditch it for the lovely weapons just because there's an abundance of ammo for it. Then make the gunfeel a step down from Bioshock 2 and it becomes frustrating.

The System Shocks, Prey and Bioshock 1 and 2 to a certain extent, had emergent experiences where even though the plot remains the same and the outcome is predetermined, your own gameplay experiences will differ from others depending on how you tackle each encounter and how much you explore. Infinite on the other hand wants to be a linear rollercoaster that's a fun thrill, but not very memorable if it weren't for the plot twists which were divisive, to put it nicely because the combat encounters blur together too much unless the game throws a really awful section at you, like Lady Comstock's ghost.

To be honest, my opinion of Infinite is only so low because of the DLCs. Standalone, Infinite is fine but not really what I wanted out of a Bioshock game. With the DLCs it just becomes a glaring example of a creator becoming out of touch with what fans liked about his games, because forcing a goddamn lobotomy scene, retconning one of the most contentious events in Infinite except the new explanation now makes it even worse than before, retconning the entirety of Bioshock 2 and completely screwing up Bioshock 1 in the process.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

John Murdoch posted:

Bioshock's combat feels about the same as Dishonored's combat (or System Shock 2's, obviously, but I wanted to use a more contemporary example). IE, made for ambush tactics and quick fights but absolutely awful if/when you're forced to stand around and just trade hits with somebody. Thankfully once you start stacking research bonuses, tonics, weapon upgrades, and ammo types you can blow pretty much anything's head off with the revolver or even the wrench. If it isn't already being hounded by security bots and turrets because you obsessively hacked everything on the map.

I was playing prey last night and that's a p deece shotgun, there's a bit where you have a big fight in a bar while sassy electropop plays and it was great to quit with the skulking and the hiding and just boomstick fools.

e:

quote:

To be honest, my opinion of Infinite is only so low because of the DLCs. Standalone, Infinite is fine but not really what I wanted out of a Bioshock game. With the DLCs it just becomes a glaring example of a creator becoming out of touch with what fans liked about his games, because forcing a goddamn lobotomy scene, retconning one of the most contentious events in Infinite except the new explanation now makes it even worse than before, retconning the entirety of Bioshock 2 and completely screwing up Bioshock 1 in the process.

I haven't played the DLCs, tempted to get them just to see if I agree.

sebmojo fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Sep 4, 2017

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Justin_Brett posted:

In the end game of Returns I was forced to end a turn instead of killing one of the bugs because the icon for shooting them wouldn't appear, and there was no manual way to target from what I could tell. That engine has always seemed a bit clunky to me.

I had a situation where the AI would not take his turn, leaving me stranded forever.

Luckily this is also the same time I decided to look up console commands just incase, and yeah, I had to kill the guy with a cheat command to keep the game going properly

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Jamfrost posted:

I'm not sure the BioShock dev had gunplay as one of their specialties. Still love the game for the other stuff. Not the bees!

They made SWAT 4, a game defined entirely by its gunplay.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Justin_Brett posted:

it's also next to impossible to take cover in a tile north-adjacent to any other unit. the space you need to hover and click is not only pixel perfect, but also context-perfect.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:coolspot:
Seashells by the
Seashorpheus
I thought Bioshock 2's gunplay was quite fun, and not even with the "dur hur wrench drill everything" method. The most basic gun, the rivet gun, was a joy to pop headshots on splicers with, along with their sub attacks. That and the shotgun, and duel-wielding powers, and mini-turrets. Bioshock Infinite was a fun run in the one and only time I played through its campaign, but I've played through Bioshock 2's campaign at least 3 times now and I've enjoyed it fully each time.

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry

Jamfrost posted:

How have the bugs and glitches been to you?
As long as I'm just farting around in the city, leveling up my agents, there are no issues, but some of the missions crash as it seems like the world isn't loading and then I get stuck.
A restart usually fixes it.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Does anything about the plot / dialog of Borderlands change when you replay, or is it literally just the stats?

I thought the weapons and magic abilities in Bioshock 1 (didn't have the chance to play 2 / infinite yet) were pretty good. The enemies sucked though. No variety, not really aggressive, just... not much of a threat, even on hard.

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

The plot and dialog don't change, although all the non-boss enemies get renamed. One of the biggest improvements Borderlands 3 could make would be making story stuff much faster to skip through and probably cutting out any intro stuff entirely for repeat playthroughs.

I hated the way the guns felt in the original Bioshock, they had no punch at all.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

Does the non-remastered version of Bulletstorm still work ok, even with GFWL? (Does it still have GFWL?) I got it and played for a couple hours like....years ago, and it's been sitting on my harddrive ever since. I'm actually making a push through the backlog, starting with installed games in alphabetical order, and Bulletstorm is next on the list. Just trying to see if I need to prepare myself for something.

Also as an aside, gently caress Gearbox for releasing this remaster and charging full price and not giving a discount for people that own it already.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Tippis posted:

It is our right, nay, duty as Steam thread posters to not touch our backlog unless the game can be construed to be bad in a way that lets us complain about it — and be lambasted for it — in the thread. It's the circle of posting.

well there was a guy in the Prey thread complaining about the game not having like a rocket launcher or an assault rifle so there's certainly something there to complain about, no matter how insane

sebmojo posted:

Infinite is very solid imo, and I liked the ending. Pillars is good but a bit worthy.

Infinite's ending was dog poo poo. It felt like it was written by someone who thought they had a grasp of what "infinity" means but really, really didn't.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Humerus posted:

Does the non-remastered version of Bulletstorm still work ok, even with GFWL? (Does it still have GFWL?) I got it and played for a couple hours like....years ago, and it's been sitting on my harddrive ever since. I'm actually making a push through the backlog, starting with installed games in alphabetical order, and Bulletstorm is next on the list. Just trying to see if I need to prepare myself for something.

Also as an aside, gently caress Gearbox for releasing this remaster and charging full price and not giving a discount for people that own it already.

You might need a no-GFWL patch but it should otherwise be fine.

They may have removed it but I genuinely can't remember.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
All my GFWL games on Steam got patched automatically. I can dark souls in peace now.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

QuarkJets posted:

well there was a guy in the Prey thread complaining about the game not having like a rocket launcher or an assault rifle so there's certainly something there to complain about, no matter how insane

Worse than that, they were complaining that there were no "conventional weapons" in the game when the most powerful thing in the game is a bog standard shotgun

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
so, prey. can you actually read the hint about the safe combination on the whiteboard at the beginning of the game or are the erased edges on the numbers shown incorrect and just there to gently caress with you

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
Yes and the way you find out makes you feel pretty clever (or "duh why didn't I think of that")

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

In Prey are station-wide broadcasts about how you shouldn't store your password on a sticky note, even a well-hidden one, and then like every 3rd or 4th computer you encounter there's a well-hidden sticky note nearby with the password written on it.

Also you can use a sweet nerf gun to open several locked areas

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

QuarkJets posted:

Also you can use a sweet nerf gun to open several locked areas

w

what

are you kidding me

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

buglord posted:

w

what

are you kidding me

No, there are several door switches that are otherwise inaccessible unless you use a Nerf crossbow to hit the switch from a window.

Said crossbow is also the subject of exhaustive email correspondence, in which its engineers plot ways to optimize range and durability and argue over the coolest name.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

buglord posted:

w

what

are you kidding me

It's great, a nerf crossbow with a capacitative tip so it can trigger touchscreens and buttons. Also useful for distracting enemies and setting off proximity mines.

Good Game

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:coolspot:
Seashells by the
Seashorpheus
Nerf gunfights in space

The future is looking bright :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
I enjoyed Borderlands 1 more than 2. Since the difficulty ramped up way too much in 2 toward the end. Where in 1 I was slaughtering my through NG+ pretty easily.