Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

An ever-honest pacifist with no mind for tricks.

Podima posted:

This gave me a big goofy grin from the start and never stopped. Incredible effort and attention to detail, as well as creativity! (I LOVE the bottles being stored in the hat.) It sounds like you had a ton of fun with this assignment, which is absolutely what I was hoping for. Furthermore, BLENDO SMOOTHIE is quite advanced magic indeed. WELL DONE!

I highly encourage other professors to choose their favorites (and have made recommendations for which ones I feel are worthy of recognition), but from my end Evergreen has truly impressed me. Many others put in quite a commendable amount of effort, but her joyful effort made me happy in a way that is difficult to explain.

##award Slytherin

Thank so you much Professor Podima!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnAnonymousIdiot
Sep 14, 2013

I've looked at the recipes, and on principle I want Grandicap to spend some time thinking about the... toxicant he made.

##DetentionGrandicap

I wanted to reward Kashandra, but that matter demands my attention.

AnAnonymousIdiot fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Sep 4, 2017

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Grandicap posted:

But as far as a Harry Potter Fanfic that I have actually read, there is Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality. This follows the Harry Potter saga if his Aunt Petunia had married a scientist, and Harry had been raised with the the scientific method as a backbone of his upbringing. It is an interesting take.

Haven't gotten through all of these still, but I really dig this and am awarding it from last month.

##award Gryffindor

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

AnAnonymousIdiot posted:

I've looked at the recipes, and on principle I want Grandicap to spend some time thinking about the... toxicant he made.

##DetentionGrandicap

I wanted to reward Kashandra, but that matter demands my attention.

I'm afraid I have to personally disagree with this decision as I appreciate the warning his entry is for us all.

##veto Professor Mudd

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Not sure if this post will work but here's the photographic demonstration of the Thunder Punch recipe. Apologies for the poor production values, I didn't have too much time for this having had other obligations this weekend.

First the Mt. Dew ™ Baja Blast ®. Notice the incredibly vivid shade of aqua this starts at.

Pink Tropicana lemonade next. Still a little bluish here but you can already see the significant change in color canceling.

After adjusting the ratio, I filled the rest with good old Sierra Mist.

The finished product, a hearty if non-alcoholic brew of Thunder Punch.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
##veto Prof. Mudd I don't hold with punishment for legitimate effort put in, even if it ended up as more of a cautionary tale.

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

King Burgundy posted:

Haven't gotten through all of these still, but I really dig this and am awarding it from last month.

##award Gryffindor

I'm super sad I posted it because it meant I read it again. Too much time spent on reading a fanfic. And sonic wasn't even in it.

Radio!
Mar 15, 2008

Look at that post.

Grandicap posted:

I'm super sad I posted it because it meant I read it again. Too much time spent on reading a fanfic. And sonic wasn't even in it.

There's actually a read-along Methods of Rationality thread in the Book Barn, if you're interested. Fair notice: it's a hate-read.
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3702281

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie
:siren: Results for Month4

Gryffindor has been awarded +20 Points
Slytherin has been awarded +20 Points

Event1 - Chugglepots
The spirit of cooperation was high within Hogwarts this month. With competing houses forced to work together for ~friendship~ it was obvious that for some, friendliness may be a cost too high to bear for the sake of success.
As Professor Novis looked over the class, Slytherin and Ravenclaw approached the Professor with their potion in hand. Professor Novis looked at it and said "Hmmm i can tell you've put in some effort in this, and if i'm not mistaken i can see much of Hal's hand in this potion... But clearly the bulk of the work has been shouldered by the Slitherins here. Now lets compare it to the other potion, Gryffindors and Hufflepuffs?" A sweaty Gryffindor approached the bench, and handed it over. Professor Novis tutted over it, and quickly discarded it before shaking her head sadly.
"15 points to Slytherin, 5 points to Ravenclaw!" she exclaimed.

Event 2 - Chraining Changelingfish
As Professor Burgundy prepared his classroom for his extracurricula tutorship, he buzzed about. there would be dozens of children wanted to try their luck at the Changelingfish! And he would surely teach them a thing or two they would talk about for years! Slowly children started filing in.. Hufflepuff... Hufflepuff... and (mostly) more hufflepuffs! Professor Burgundy looked sadly at the bunch, his lips quivering slightly, before halfheartedly waving at the children to begin. After some amusing miscast spells, the Professor couldn't deal with it anymore, and shuffled quickly outside while mumbling
"...20 points to hufflepuff..." and tearfully wiping his eyes.

Quidditch Round 4 Slytherin v Ravenclaw
[i]With points being shared around, the Quidditch game between Slytherin and Ravenclaw was shaping up to be a good one. Ravenclaw took the field, anxiously examining their opponents and couldn't shake the feeling that they looked quite confident.
And with a bang, the game began! But it seemed the hype was unmatched by the performance on the field. Ravenclaw put up a decent start keeping Slytherin in touch at 40-70... but that's where the game effectively ended. Slyherin's beaters were brutal, thwarting Ravenclaw in the midfield time and time again and refusing them meaningful possession, while their Seeker confidently glided over the arena. The points kept piling up, and it was a small mercy when she slotted the snitch in her hand, and led Slytherin to a glorious 400-70 point game

Slytherin have won +40 points!

Current standings:
Gryffindor: 220
Slytherin: 195
Hufflepuff: 100
Ravenclaw: 65

busb fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Sep 4, 2017

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Panic! on the Quidditch pitch

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie

(1d10=5)Month 5 Event 1 - Dazzling with the Stars -
(1d10=5) Astronomy DOUBLE EVENT
Professor Mudd, concerned about the lack of application into Astronomy shown by the cohort petitioned the Headmaster to have a special Tournament, to determine who really is the best at looking at things through really small things in order to make them bigger. Also to note their effect on magic, but mainly to look at things. "Students, today you will stare through this thing a lot. I mean for a REALLY long time. The student who looks through the the MOST and the BEST will be rewarded handsomely!

This event tests (Effort*Astronomy) + (Cunning*Astronomy) +Charms +4 Studious, +4 Bullying, +4 Pureblooded.
The House with the highest combined total will win +30 points for their house
The Individual with the highest amount by themselves will win +10 Points for their house.
Each Professor may privately message the headmaster ##exalt Student in private to the headmaster as a free action once to guess which individual scores highest. If the professor is correct in their guess, they will obtain a prized item from the Headmaster!

Also I am handing out the example half-yearly examination papers for future use!
Each class will be marked as follows:
(Knowledge * Class) + (Effort*Class) + Mainstat +4 if Studious)

I hope everyone has been studying hard! Remember that Exams are held at the end of Month 6

Quidditch remains as per the schedule.
Students cannot visit Hogsmeade

busb fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Sep 5, 2017

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
The Slytherin ascension shall continue as planned.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

I'm going to enjoy watching Slytherin lose on a tie breaker because they screwed us over for no good reason.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
It is not very nice to spread lies, Nintholomew. We 'eld to our end of the bargain precisely!

Were you per'aps pranked by somebody?

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Nothing happened on our end, besides assuming we could deal in good faith with a Slytherin.

MinutePirateBug
Mar 4, 2013
This seems like a completely unnecessary betrayal of trust as neither Hufflepuff nor Gryffindor allocated any/significant effort to this event. Slytherin could have easily scored 20 points instead of 15 and devoted additional effort to their studies. Ravenclaw is not currently in a position to challenge Slytherin so robbing them of these points seems unnecessarily mean-spirited.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

An ever-honest pacifist with no mind for tricks.

The Ninth Layer posted:

Nothing happened on our end, besides assuming we could deal in good faith with a Slytherin.

We didn't do anything to go against you! We're as confused as you are regarding how we ended up contributing more to the potion.

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie
Guys, thinking of a deadline in 28 hours from now. If that's not good then I'll extend it out another 24 but with less plates spinning this month it might be doable

Radio!
Mar 15, 2008

Look at that post.

Murmur Twin posted:

We didn't do anything to go against you! We're as confused as you are regarding how we ended up contributing more to the potion.

Yes I'm sure you're very confused after the amount of effort it took just to get you to commit to a specific number to begin with. Cool teamwork.

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie
Just to clarify exams. Exams are not optional, you will take every class exam.
However you may wish to use effort to bolster some key examinations.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

The Lord of Hats posted:

It is not very nice to spread lies, Nintholomew. We 'eld to our end of the bargain precisely!

Were you per'aps pranked by somebody?

We spoke with the 'eadmaster, and it appears I owe you an apology, Nintholomew. We 'ad an error in our math that we failed to catch on a second look. If there is some way we can make it up to you, I 'ope that this 'onest mistake does not make you think too much more poorly of us. I understand that this is going to be 'ard for your 'ouse to believe, but it really wasn't our intention to 'urt you, especially when doing so meant 'urting ourselves and our reputation.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

I'm sorry, who's having private conversations where? Sounds like a detentionable action to me!

Radio!
Mar 15, 2008

Look at that post.

There are legal wizard ways to accomplish such things. Everything is above board!

DuckHuntDog
May 13, 2004

I will openly admit I made a simple arithmetic mistake and misread the formula (I'm only a math teacher). I can't even go in for tutorials because they don't teach maths at this school.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

We had what three days of asking you what numbers you could hit and on our end we were flexible matching what you could send. You guys left us hanging on that.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Kcht, why are you even surprised a snake lied to you? Stick with the Griffin if you want to live.

DuckHuntDog
May 13, 2004

Yeah, we did leave you guys hanging because of our mistake, but we also lost a bit on it as well. I would be mad too, but we didn't gain anything by it and nobody is going to trust us in the future because of it.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

It seems unlikely that Slytherin would try to pull a fast one. Slytherin has more to gain by getting more points alongside Ravenclaw than by getting fewer points alone.

MinutePirateBug
Mar 4, 2013

CCKeane posted:

It seems unlikely that Slytherin would try to pull a fast one. Slytherin has more to gain by getting more points alongside Ravenclaw than by getting fewer points alone.

This.

Radio!
Mar 15, 2008

Look at that post.

Regardless we still got hosed.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

Radio! posted:

Regardless we still got hosed.

This is also true.

I think a simple way to broker some peace here would be for Slytherin to give a few galleons to Ravenclaw, since even Slytherin acknowledges that they made a mistake that harmed Ravenclaw.

MinutePirateBug
Mar 4, 2013

CCKeane posted:

This is also true.

I think a simple way to broker some peace here would be for Slytherin to give a few galleons to Ravenclaw, since even Slytherin acknowledges that they made a mistake that harmed Ravenclaw.

If Gryffindor students are interested in brokering peace it would nice if they would release some of the Bamstick Alpha 8s they acquired in the interest of healthy competition and friendship.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

MinutePirateBug posted:

If Gryffindor students are interested in brokering peace it would nice if they would release some of the Bamstick Alpha 8s they acquired in the interest of healthy competition and friendship.

Now THIS is interesting, because we received an owl that read "Slytherin have all the beaters"

MinutePirateBug
Mar 4, 2013

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

I don't deny this, this happened, yes.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

That does not change my statement, of course. These are not incompatible.

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

Wasn't the first one before the shops even opened in hogsmeade? And I can confirm that I bought nothing to do with quidditch, our team's natural talent is more than enough, even if we were riding swiffers.

MinutePirateBug
Mar 4, 2013

CCKeane posted:

Now THIS is interesting, because we received an owl that read "Slytherin have all the beaters"

CCKeane posted:

That does not change my statement, of course. These are not incompatible.

Then you should have the message.

Radio!
Mar 15, 2008

Look at that post.

So you deny Gryffindor has any Bamsticks?

Interestingly, during our negotiations Slytherin did claim to know exactly how many Bamsticks Hufflepuff was in possession of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

I am pretty sure we have no bamsticks. Our purchases have been team discussions and publicly submitted so, we'd know if someone was lying. How would we even afford that many of one item.

Maybe instead of colluding with other houses you should let your natural talents carry you to victory. That's what we've been doing and we have been grand.

• Locked thread