Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Guy Mann posted:

They made SWAT 4, a game defined entirely by its gunplay.

Is this supposed to be some kind of bad joke?

Also because I'm currently experiencing this, I can say one of the the worst things about Borderlands and how it scales poo poo is that they never pulled their heads out of their asses and made the DLC scale properly, even though I'm pretty sure they totally could.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

OhFunny posted:

I enjoyed Borderlands 1 more than 2. Since the difficulty ramped up way too much in 2 toward the end. Where in 1 I was slaughtering my through NG+ pretty easily.

that's because borderlands 1 used linear scaling. a lv20 gun's power is (base rarity power * 20) times lower than a lv40 gun. maybe you find a good gun at lv15 and it's still pretty good at lv25. hell, maybe you're loath to part with it at 30.

borderlands 2 used curved exponential scaling. a lv20 gun's power is (base rarity power^20 yes that's to the twentieth power) lower than a lv40 gun. borderlands 2's math is trash.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
Here's the BL2 graph

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

It would actually work if it didn't scale player health, weapon damage, and enemy health at different rates. It meant that every level made you proportionally more fragile and enemies more spongey than the last, and the rate at which this happened only got worse with each level, until by the end of TVHM you would get shredded pretty quickly and would need a good build to kill enemies as fast as you could at low levels. It barely worked at level 50 and would have been acceptable as long as they didn't go past that, except then they did, and they also made every enemy have 4x health in UVHM because apparently they wanted to destroy their pretty fun game. It was astronomically stupid and I still don't know how the everloving gently caress that got approved.

Owl Inspector fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Sep 5, 2017

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Also you know something has gone wrong when they outright give you a free weapon swap speed bonus as well as a bunch of tweaks to slag on higher difficulties because they want you to be slagging every single enemy forever.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Sep 5, 2017

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

The White Dragon posted:

so, prey. can you actually read the hint about the safe combination on the whiteboard at the beginning of the game or are the erased edges on the numbers shown incorrect and just there to gently caress with you

You can't decipher it from the board afaik, but spoiler there is a video recording of that room at some point, with the number intact
I think that is quite a bit later though and backtracking through fresh spawns is a pain, just google it it's no biggie anyway.

That gimmick is used at least twice though :)

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

sauer kraut posted:

You can't decipher it from the board afaik, but spoiler there is a video recording of that room at some point, with the number intact
I think that is quite a bit later though and backtracking through fresh spawns is a pain, just google it it's no biggie anyway.

That gimmick is used at least twice though :)

I had a serious problem that that password is not 0451 or a variant of it. It certainly added to the feeling that the universe is an uncaring place filled with things that hate you.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

ZearothK posted:

I had a serious problem that that password is not 0451 or a variant of it. It certainly added to the feeling that the universe is an uncaring place filled with things that hate you.

It was already in use.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

ZearothK posted:

It's not the first code you get in the game though.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

buglord posted:

w

what

are you kidding me

It's true; after 3 playthroughs I've found that every locked room has a minimum of 2 ways to open it, and in many cases the nerf gun is 1 of those solutions. So if you happen to not have a skill that unlocks a room it's worth checking to see whether there's a button or a computer screen inside the room that you can manipulate with your nerf gun

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
Man X-Morph gets loving tough as balls. I just barely beat the Russian level with the flying mega fuckoff flying bird-battleship shooting missiles and poo poo everywhere. I'm dreading going onto the next level now :ohdear:

At first I kind of felt bad about loving up earth, now I'm just like god drat you all, dieee

Also rewards are fixed right in terms that it doesn't matter if you Bronze or Silver a level?

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."

Xaris posted:

Man X-Morph gets loving tough as balls. I just barely beat the Russian level with the flying mega fuckoff flying bird-battleship shooting missiles and poo poo everywhere. I'm dreading going onto the next level now :ohdear:

At first I kind of felt bad about loving up earth, now I'm just like god drat you all, dieee

Also rewards are fixed right in terms that it doesn't matter if you Bronze or Silver a level?

It doesn't. By the end you should have everything.

sunken fleet
Apr 25, 2010

dreams of an unchanging future,
a today like yesterday,
a tomorrow like today.
Fallen Rib
Lot of people have said No Man's Sky is good now, is it worth the 60 bux though? I need a new game to play while I listen to podcasts.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
Yeah I figured, not that many things to upgrade anyways.

Also maybe I'm doing it wrong, but feels like Laser on the ship kind of sucks even after focusing for awhile. Seems like the best attack is to use the shield and try to charge plasma till stage 2(sometimes 3) and rinse-repeat, except switch to missiles against some air units. The ground-bombs are ok at some chokes or when I dont have a flame setup (which clears out he little guys pretty effectively), but otherwise taking out the beefier tanks/healers line seems better dealt with using charged plasma.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
I feel like my opinion of BL2 is skewed because I lucked out on a Hydra shotgun early on as Krieg and it was some of the most fun I've ever had in an FPS. I maxed out the Bloodlust tree so the shotgun could shoot way more times than it was supposed to and reloaded instantly and also everything I killed exploded. It was so good I kept using it even through the 3rd playthrough when I stopped playing. The Sorcerer's Apprentice quest was more or less 3 minutes of explosions completely covering the screen, it was amazing.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
Did you use cheatengine to level up the weapon every so often or what, because there no numerical way I can think of that you got a weapon early on and used it through NG++.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

sunken fleet posted:

Lot of people have said No Man's Sky is good now, is it worth the 60 bux though? I need a new game to play while I listen to podcasts.

Wait for a sale. It's really good, but sixty's still a steep price.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

sunken fleet posted:

I'm enjoying NMS but not for $60. Wait for a sale.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Guy Mann posted:

It's great, a nerf crossbow with a capacitative tip so it can trigger touchscreens and buttons. Also useful for distracting enemies and setting off proximity mines.

Good Game

It's a hard counter for the most annoying enemy in the game and I felt so smart when I discovered it.

sunken fleet
Apr 25, 2010

dreams of an unchanging future,
a today like yesterday,
a tomorrow like today.
Fallen Rib

StrixNebulosa posted:

Wait for a sale. It's really good, but sixty's still a steep price.
Yea that's what I was thinking, 60 is high for a year old game. I'll just wait for the Christmas sale I guess.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."

Xaris posted:

Yeah I figured, not that many things to upgrade anyways.

Also maybe I'm doing it wrong, but feels like Laser on the ship kind of sucks even after focusing for awhile. Seems like the best attack is to use the shield and try to charge plasma till stage 2(sometimes 3) and rinse-repeat, except switch to missiles against some air units. The ground-bombs are ok at some chokes or when I dont have a flame setup (which clears out he little guys pretty effectively), but otherwise taking out the beefier tanks/healers line seems better dealt with using charged plasma.

Laser is great if you're firing at a single enemy, or at a few enemies in a single line if they are far apart enough from each other. The laser maintains its charge after blowing things up as long as you don't switch targets too much.

However, Bomb is better if you have at least 3 enemies grouped up. Anti-Matter Bomb is like a win button in many situations, especially if you fire it right when enemy paths converge.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

For anyone who might care: Bundle Stars has Mad Max for $4, for the next 6 hours only.

https://www.bundlestars.com/en/game/mad-max

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Guy Mann posted:

They made SWAT 4, a game defined entirely by its gunplay.

All I can say is the shouting is pretty good.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Wow I missed that post, that's a hell of a bad opinion.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
I tried NMS on sale and then gave it up before long. Maybe I was just feeling impatient--and at least it wasn't crashing on me or unstable--but boy howdy did I not feel like putting up with its most basic Air + Survival Suit + Fuel loop every 2-5 minutes =|

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I'm really enjoying how XCOM 2: War of the Chosen has fleshed out the strategic layer. It feels like there's so much more things to do.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

exquisite tea posted:

Original Sin 2 is out in 10 days and I am hype!!
now there's a good game. im gonna cum

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

SirSamVimes posted:

I'm really enjoying how XCOM 2: War of the Chosen has fleshed out the strategic layer. It feels like there's so much more things to do.

Any highlights? I've seen the trailers but I burned out on vanilla about 20 hours in. Am thinking of dipping back in and maybe starting a new run with the DLC if it's differ rent enough, commander.

EDIT: Kickass forum name btw, best character

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

QuarkJets posted:

Infinite's ending was dog poo poo. It felt like it was written by someone who thought they had a grasp of what "infinity" means but really, really didn't.

It was amazing just how poorly the devs and writers understood the concepts they were exploring.

quote:

now there's a good game. im gonna cum

The original was so good but I don't know where I'm going to find the time to play OS2.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Sep 5, 2017

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Re: Templar Battleforce. I enjoyed it well enough my first time through, but I found the mechanics slightly opaque and some of the classes unbalanced. I'd recommend it though, I played it a year+ ago and it's still getting updates.

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

Captain Foo posted:

Re: Templar Battleforce. I enjoyed it well enough my first time through, but I found the mechanics slightly opaque and some of the classes unbalanced. I'd recommend it though, I played it a year+ ago and it's still getting updates.

Turns out I've got less money than expected this month so I won't be buying it yet anyway, but I'll keep it on my wishlist and hopefully not forget why it's on there next time.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Artelier posted:

Any highlights? I've seen the trailers but I burned out on vanilla about 20 hours in. Am thinking of dipping back in and maybe starting a new run with the DLC if it's differ rent enough, commander.

EDIT: Kickass forum name btw, best character

Well the Chosen (minibosses who show up and are fuckers sometimes) are the big part, but you also have to manage faction loyalty and squad mate cohesion. However, those last two are all-upside so it's finally just a good thing

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

One of the games on the front page, Home Behind, says the reviews are "Very Positive" but then I look down and see a slew of red thumbs-down:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/467960

Very weird.

Anyways, it sort of looks interesting but can see it being sort of tedious and/or one-dimensional. Even some of the thumbs-up reviews are negative.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I know the AI in Age of Empires II doesn't cheat, but sometimes it certainly feels like it. Playing through the Saladin campaign on Moderate a few days ago, the Jerusalem map, I completely wrecked the Hospitallers' and Knight Templars' economies, yet they kept rebuilding and pumping out units. How is it possible. I really would like to see their resource flow.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Phlegmish posted:

I know the AI in Age of Empires II doesn't cheat, but sometimes it certainly feels like it. Playing through the Saladin campaign on Moderate a few days ago, the Jerusalem map, I completely wrecked the Hospitallers' and Knight Templars' economies, yet they kept rebuilding and pumping out units. How is it possible. I really would like to see their resource flow.

Campaign and skirmish AI's in RTS games are usually very different.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Seventh Arrow posted:

One of the games on the front page, Home Behind, says the reviews are "Very Positive" but then I look down and see a slew of red thumbs-down:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/467960

Very weird.

Anyways, it sort of looks interesting but can see it being sort of tedious and/or one-dimensional. Even some of the thumbs-up reviews are negative.

Huh, this is interesting.

I tried flipping through the languages in the full review index and the vast majority of the reviews are in Chinese, and the vast majority of those are positive. Pretty much every review in any other language is negative. Spot-checking the Chinese reviews, I don't think they're paid off or bots because length and content vary greatly and a lot of the accounts are well-established. Maybe this one got real big in China and either translated poorly or is tuned specifically for that market.

The publisher has a few other games on Steam with huge Chinese majorities in reviews but not necessarily negative ones in other languages. They're the folks behind Detention which I've heard is a legit good horror adventure.

owl_pellet
Nov 20, 2005

show your enemy
what you look like

Can anyone who played the Original Sin 2 EA thing comment on the QoL improvements (if any) made over OS1? I'm playing through the first right now and it is a good game but it is hard to enjoy sometimes. I'm talking about things like knowing when a key/quest item has served its purpose and is now useless, improving the usability of bags, adding a junk tab in the inventory, MAKING THE CHARACTERS RUN FASTER, being able to click on the map and move the camera to that position, etc.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Dr. Angela Ziegler posted:

Well the Chosen (minibosses who show up and are fuckers sometimes) are the big part, but you also have to manage faction loyalty and squad mate cohesion. However, those last two are all-upside so it's finally just a good thing

Regarding squad bonds, if a bondmate dies or gets abducted the survivor gets a permanent hit to stats.

But yeah war of the chosen adds a ton of poo poo. Way more missing types, less with timers. More enemies that aren't alien hunters bullshit and nemesis system style bosses that harass you.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gug_0mNhg4k
:wtc: :catdrugs:

This... kind of looks amazing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Too Shy Guy posted:

Huh, this is interesting.

I tried flipping through the languages in the full review index and the vast majority of the reviews are in Chinese, and the vast majority of those are positive. Pretty much every review in any other language is negative. Spot-checking the Chinese reviews, I don't think they're paid off or bots because length and content vary greatly and a lot of the accounts are well-established. Maybe this one got real big in China and either translated poorly or is tuned specifically for that market.

The publisher has a few other games on Steam with huge Chinese majorities in reviews but not necessarily negative ones in other languages. They're the folks behind Detention which I've heard is a legit good horror adventure.

That is interesting, good catch. Also, I took a look at Detention and it's a much more intriguing concept...I might just wishlist it.