Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Tighclops posted:

I was 9 years old and it was the last time I can remember genuinely enjoying a movie in a theater. gently caress's sakes.

I was already married when FC came out.
:corsair:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

Tighclops posted:

He's a lovely director and all his space movies suck

The JJ stands for Jar Jar!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
New inside look (in annoying VR):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vOD0AB_xXkM

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Star Trek blows.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Aphrodite posted:

Star Trek blows.

Star Wars is garbage.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Rhyno posted:

Star Wars is garbage.

It should be hauled away as garbage!

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

I hope there's lots of musical bits because those are actually great. :c00lbert:

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Tighclops posted:

He's a lovely director and all his space movies suck

I liked the first JJTrek okay, but the other two were trash. The third act in each of them was almost identical!

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
JJ Abrams didn't direct or write Star Trek Beyond :ssh:

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Well, I guess that explains why it was a rehash of Darkness. That still makes him 1 for 2.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

What, it wasn't a rehash of darkness at all.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Yeah, I would really like to hear the explanation for that one. :confused:

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016

VictorianQueerLit posted:

As long as there isn't a big band frank sinatra-esque extravaganza musical piece where he gets to be a crooner in space I'll be fine.

If in the first episode his character gets a space virus/space injury and hallucinates a huge musical number that's it for me.

Don't be absurd

They'll do the musical number on the holodeck

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

turn left hillary!! noo posted:

Yeah, I would really like to hear the explanation for that one. :confused:

The third act mostly which consisted of bad guy crashing ship into federation city, which apparently has no defenses and was taken completely by surprise, then bad guy walks away from ship wreck unharmed and it's up to Kirk to chase him down and defeat him with the power of the Beastie Boys before he can achieve his master plan of blowing up the city because blah blah who cares.

raditts fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Sep 2, 2017

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

livingfruitvirus posted:

It's interesting because David A. Goodman is showrunning this series, and he wrote for Star Trek: Enterprise.

Well, he was also an Executive Producer on Allen Gregory. So it could go either way.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
I dreamed last night that I was a recurring but unimportant crew member on the Orville, like O'Brien on the first three seasons of TNG, and Seth MacFarlane was trying to defeat some aliens that were able to steal a few seconds of time from you, so they would ambush you while you were walking and from an outside perspective you would stay in the same spot but be in a different part of your walk cycle and trip over something. I remember as I was sitting around the conference table, even though I was the lowest rank there and a lot of people were involved, I felt like I was such an important part of history.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

So they tripped you?

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Arglebargle III posted:

So they tripped you?

It didn't happen to me personally but we watched a video of it happening to another member of the crew.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Jeb! Repetition posted:

It didn't happen to me personally but we watched a video of it happening to another member of the crew.

Would you say that they were tripping?

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Arglebargle III posted:

Would you say that they were tripping?

What are you getting at Arglebargle.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Jeb! Repetition posted:

I dreamed last night that I was a recurring but unimportant crew member on the Orville, like O'Brien on the first three seasons of TNG, and Seth MacFarlane was trying to defeat some aliens that were able to steal a few seconds of time from you, so they would ambush you while you were walking and from an outside perspective you would stay in the same spot but be in a different part of your walk cycle and trip over something. I remember as I was sitting around the conference table, even though I was the lowest rank there and a lot of people were involved, I felt like I was such an important part of history.

When you were at the conference table, did it remind you of a time when something else happened, that involved a pop culture reference?

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Jeb! Repetition posted:

The video in question:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWOfK3LDQu4

God I loving hate that show.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.
Now I'll admit the tendency to drag on and on like that is definitely unfunny and annoying, and it's done way too often, but I'm hard-pressed to think of much else it's guilty of a lot that really bugs me. I dunno maybe I'll try watching a few really new ones and see if I think it sucks now. (When I do watch it I tend to go for earlier seasons, as I haven't really seen a hell of a lot of it, so I try to find the oldest one that I know I haven't seen yet.)

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The racism, homophobia and sexism don't do it for you?

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

I haven't watched Family Guy in probably ten years.

I'm not about to start again because I don't want to sour my expectations for The Orville.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Isn't the head writer for Family Guy an Indian woman or something?

That show, for better or worse, had a lot of writers and the general rule send to be Seen lets them experiment and do whatever they want.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

I'm not actually as excited for the show as that dream would imply though.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Jeb! Repetition posted:

I think you might have somehow dreamt the Actual Plot of the TNG episode Schisms, right down to the unimportant crew member being invited to the conference table despite this never normally happening

I look forward to you having déjà vu when you get around to watching it

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

raditts posted:

The third act mostly which consisted of bad guy crashing ship into federation city, which apparently has no defenses and was taken completely by surprise, then bad guy walks away from ship wreck unharmed and it's up to Kirk to chase him down and defeat him with the power of the Beastie Boys before he can achieve his master plan of blowing up the city because blah blah who cares.

Repetitive plots is actually a genius homage to TOS

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

You tried to destroy it once before, Commodore.
The result was a wrecked ship and a dead crew.
Fun Shoe

Gabe Koerner, legendary Trek nerd, is working on The Orville, not the new Star Trek show.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

I can't wait for 20 years from now, after Fox gonna Fox, when we get The Orville TNG.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

turn left hillary!! noo posted:

I can't wait for 20 years from now, after Fox gonna Fox, when we get The Orville TNG.

Can't wait for the Greatest Generation equivalent podcast in 50 years.

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up
That trailer fills me with equal parts dread and hope

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe
Looking at the people running it behind the scenes it's really hard for me not to get a little hyped. I mean I'm not expecting TNG part 2 but it should at least be decent.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
I'm optimistic about this. From that interview a couple pages ago:

quote:

“I kind of miss the forward-thinking, aspirational space that Star Trek used to occupy. It can’t all be The Hunger Games. It can’t all be the nightmare scenario,” he says. “I’m tired of everything being grim and dystopian. I miss the hopeful side of science fiction.”

The utopianism made Star Trek special. The stories were regular sci-fi ranging from action/adventure to 'today's problems in tomorrow's contexts,' but it additionally framed everything around this really hopeful utopianism. That was the kicker.

If this has the same, that'd be good.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
The utopianism also made it near impossible for early TNG writers to generate drama that didn't come from a viewscreen. Hopefully McFarlane isn't planning on going full Gene.

Big Mean Jerk fucked around with this message at 10:15 on Sep 5, 2017

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Big Mean Jerk posted:

The utopianism also made it near impossible for early TNG writers to generate drama that didn't come from a viewscreen. Hopefully McFarlane isn't planning on going full Gene.

It was harder but not necessarily impossible. They managed it in the slightly less strict Berman era and there were episodes that did it well even in the first couple seasons.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

From what we've seen it looks like his take is "Macro-scale Utopia" (no hunger, no want of any sort except for personal actualization) but "people are still small and petty (but only in small and petty ways) and there are dragons out past the edge of the map" which, if he sticks the landing, will be great.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Early TNG was bad because of Gene Roddenberry going senile (and having always been a pretty crazy bastard), not because of optimism in general. Ultimately I prefer DS9's slightly grittier take, but you have to have some optimism to bounce that off of in the first place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Early TNG has the problem of using a lot of barely recycled scripts from the attempted 70s Star Trek reboot in season one for budget reasons, while Season 2 has the same problem for the reason of the writers strike.