Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Rarity posted:

They've got zero excuse for being gassed. According to Wikipedia up to that point Savage had wrestled for 15 mins 18 secs and DiBiase had wrestled for just 10 mins 38 secs. By no means have they been putting on marathons and they've had massive rest periods as well. That's loving shameful.

Well, you have to account for the truly insane amounts of cocaine backstage during that era.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Francis is my name, and breeding is my game. All bow before the fertile smut-god!

Jerusalem posted:

Looks like this is the end of Hulk Hogan, if you ask me.

Up goes the arm... and down it drops!

Up goes the arm... and down it drops!

Up goes the arm... and dow-

:aaa:

This crowd is going bananas! They are literally, Jesse, hanging off the rafters!

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Platypus Farm posted:

This crowd is going bananas! They are literally, Jesse, hanging off the rafters!

Would you say it is something of a happening?

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Rarity, for making it through Wrestlemania IV, I think you deserve a reward. Here is an amazing music video that came out sometime before WM4.

"LOOK IN MY EYES!!"

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Where the big boys RAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGH FUCK YOU
I don't think you can fault DiBiase given the circumstances:

- This is a small (sub-20k) garbage crowd from moment 1 that is exhausted and wiped out after a 4 hour show that was mostly bad
- The booking leading up to the show (and during the show itself, including the finals) is more focused on Hogan/Andre than anything else
- It's the 80s, so no topline heel not named Andre is allowed to look strong. Sheik held the title for under a month, Andre for a few minutes, and with it now being 1988 there's not much time left in the decade for a long heel run
- The DiBiase character works better trying to buy titles versus earning them

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Francis is my name, and breeding is my game. All bow before the fertile smut-god!

Gaz-L posted:

Would you say it is something of a happening?

This is such a happening that the happening is so thick you can cut it with a knife!

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

CubsWoo posted:

I don't think you can fault DiBiase given the circumstances:

- This is a small (sub-20k) garbage crowd from moment 1 that is exhausted and wiped out after a 4 hour show that was mostly bad

Odd that the crowd is that small, given this was a hot period. What was the reason for that?

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Maxwell Lord posted:

Odd that the crowd is that small, given this was a hot period. What was the reason for that?

Part of it is just the availability of indoor east coast stadiums large enough in the mid/late 80's. You can't really run an outdoor east coast football stadium in spring due to weather (which WWE found out when they ran Metlife a couple decades later), baseball stadiums aren't available due to the MLB season starting and domed stadiums were in the southeast and midwest, which weren't really WWE territory at the time.

It also wasn't until 23 that they decided Wrestlemania was going to be stadiums only and you've got a proliferation in the southeast/midwest/west coast that you can run, though they've been mostly southeast in the past decade. Before then they ran 6 indoor stadiums in 20 years, one of which (Safeco) they'll never run again and one (Skydome/Rogers) that's iffy at best due to being in Toronto. The rest (Silverdome/Astrodome/Hoosier Dome) have all been replaced but with comparable options (Ford/NRG/Lucas Oil).

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Summerslam 1988: The Biggest Party of the Summer (Glastonbury Not Included)

What I Think I Know:

• Oh geez, I don't have a clue. Randy Savage might still be WWF champion, I guess. Hogan will probably be kicking around somewhere. Perhaps the Mega Powers team up for the main event. As long as there's not multiple One Man Gang matches I'll be happy.

It's summer 1988, little Rarity is going on her first ever holiday and across the Atlantic the WWF are gearing up for a big summer celebration with Summerslam 1988! We are live from the one and only Madison Square Garden in New York City, NY and we are starting strong right out of the gates with this one because the intro sequence is the most hilarious, tacky, lovely-CGI filled mess. We see the likes of Hogan, Savage and DiBiase laughing or grinning or glaring at the camera as they whirl about in a world of neon lights and bright sparkles. Sorry guys, I thought this was Summerslam but turns out it's Saved By The Bell: The Wrestling Years.

When I wake up in the morning, the alarm gives out a warning

And I don't think I ever make it on time

By the time I grab my books and I give myself a look

I'm at the corner just in time to see the bus fly by

It's all right cause I'm saved by the bell

It's all right cause I'm saved by the, saved by the

SAVED BY THE BELL!

We're not wasting any time tonight because we are straight through to commentary with our old friends Gorilla Monsoon and... Superstar Billy Graham?! What madness is this? Well it turns out that Jesse is going to be important for tonight's main event so he's had to pass up his commentary duties for the night. But it's all right though, the WWF have ensured that this transition is as easy as possible for those of us who fear change. I'm pretty sure that Vince just looked around the backstage area, found the most ridiculously dressed guy he could and sent him out there. So that means it's time for a very special edition of:

Oh dear, I have no idea how I'm meant to describe this atrocity that Graham has managed to dig up. At its simplest it is a sweater of... I want to say Bob Marley but I know for sure that it's not actually Bob Marley. It's a sweater of a dude who sorta looks like Bob Marley except all the hair is made out of gold tinsel and the eyes are a piercing blue and the background is a horrendous tie-dye mix of yellows, oranges and pinks. What the gently caress is that?

It looks like a packet of Skittles threw up on him

The Fabulous Rougeau Brothers vs. The British Bulldogs

Ok, this is a matchup I can get behind. I love the Bulldogs and the Rougeaus have shown a bit of a spark in their appearances so far despite never having a chance to shine. I think this could be a bit special if given the chance. Let's crack on with it!

The Rougeaus come out waving the teeniest-tiniest American flags you could ever find which strikes just the right chord between goofy and dumb to give me a giggle. They're announced as being from Quebec “but soon to relocate to the United States”. Hehe! This is a really bad attempt to pander to American audiences and it doesn't seem to be working because the crowd is well pissed at them. I've got to admit it took a little while for me to click that this is meant to be bad pandering that turns the crowd against them. There's an impressive level of subtlety here, you just don't find this kind of heel in modern wrestling.

The Bulldogs come out and all of a sudden the logic in this match breaks down. The Rougeaus are using cheap foreign heat to encourage the crowd to cheer for a team from... the United Kingdom. There's something not quite right here. Oh well, it's not like it's going to detract from the match. They kick things off with Davey getting in a couple of shots on Jacques so he goes back to get a hug from Raymond. I guess if you're going for the cheap foreign heat you might well double down with some gay panic action as well.

Here's the thing though. While all of this is really loving cheap I love what they've done to the Rougeaus. The tag division has been struggling for years with being nothing but a bunch of generic lookalike teams. It was especially evident at Survivor Series '87 where we had the likes of the Young Stallions, the Killer Bees, Strike Force, the Rougeaus and more and they're all basically the same. The Rougeaus now have characters. They're smug, clueless dorks and I love it.

They've got such an early Kurt Angle vibe

The action in the ring is fast and exciting. Davey cartwheels out of a monkey flip and soon after reverses a sunset flip into a really nice bridge for a two count. Graham's starting off a bit frantic on commentary but he's all right. The Bulldogs start off with some offence but the Rougeaus soon take control and Jacques locks on a spinning toe hold on Davey. The Rougeaus really focus in on Davey's leg and Graham does a great job of selling the impact.

The Rougeaus keep things going this way for a fair while until Davey gets a big hot tag to Dynamite. He hits a snap suplex and a falling headbutt to Raymond but it's only good enough for two. Davey gets back in and nails Raymond with the Running Powerslam but Jacques saves the day. And then – Jesus Christ! - Dynamite eats a back suplex right on the back of his head. He just lies there in the ring with his legs twitching like he's having a fit. It looks so loving awful. And then Jacques just runs in there and starts beating him up! The Rougeaus with a double team gut buster and oh my god, I am legit scared for Dynamite's health. Just end the match already, put him out of his misery.

Jacques locks in an abdominal stretch on Dynamite which I guess is a small improvement. Davey saves it but Raymond just slaps on another one. Jacques then hits a big splash for a two count and the Rougeaus start a series of rest holds. Seriously, lay off. The man might have a broken neck. From out of nowhere Dynamite pulls out a small package but the ref is off with Davey and misses the three count! They keep on building to the second hot tag of the match and they're doing a really great job and...

There it is! Davey is back in the ring and he... He whiffs a dropkick and falls on his face. Welp. That just killed the crowd. Davey gets back on his feet and crotches Jacques on the top rope. He follows up by lifting Dynamite up in the air and flinging him into the Flying Headbutt. He goes down for the pin but the bell's already ringing!

…It's a time limit draw. For gently caress sake.

How I felt when the bell rang

The result of this match is total bullshit. At no point was it mentioned that this match had a time limit, not by the ring announcer and not by commentary. It just comes out of nowhere and shits all over everything. The crowd is so mad at this and I'm right there with them. The Bulldogs are mad, the Rougeaus are celebrating and then they sucker punch the Bulldogs before running away. And here's our first award of the evening:

MOST HOMOEROTIC MOMENT

Billy Graham: “Finish it in the showers if you have to!”

Ending aside, this was really really good. Everything flowed together really well, Dynamite's selling was just fantastic and I was so caught up in it, that's why the ending was such a downer. Really disappointing finish that ruins what would otherwise be one of the best matches in the timeline to date. I will say that it's great to see the Rougeaus getting a bit of a push because they've got some talent in them. I'm hoping to see more of these guys going against each other somewhere down the line.

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Maxwell Lord posted:

Mania 4 and 5 were at Boardwalk Hall and sponsored by Trump Plaza. The general belief is that Vince got a sweetheart deal because Trump and the Atlantic City government wanted to build Mania week as a week-long vacation event much like it is now with Axxess. If you watch the PPVs you get a glimpse of some of the ancillary events surrounding Mania like the meet and greets and a WWF-sponsored 5/10k road race.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

The Bulldogs and the Rougeaus genuinely hated each other (like of the 'Backstage one of them punched the other in the face with a roll of nickels' hate), so there was that too

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

DeathChicken posted:

The Bulldogs and the Rougeaus genuinely hated each other (like of the 'Backstage one of them punched the other in the face with a roll of nickels' hate), so there was that too

Yeah, Jacques, I believe, suckered Dynamite after months of bullying. Dynamite wasn't liked by many people, so pretty much nothing happened to Jacques.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

DeathChicken posted:

I listened to OSWReview after finishing my writeup and the story about the Bulldog/Rougeau backstage feud was amazing

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Gavok posted:

I think we all need to take a second and appreciate how One Man Gang had the least intimidating skull and crossbones logo.

lmao jesus christ, i can't stop staring at that now

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Rarity posted:

The Rougeaus come out waving the teeniest-tiniest American flags you could ever find which strikes just the right chord between goofy and dumb to give me a giggle. They're announced as being from Quebec “but soon to relocate to the United States”. Hehe! This is a really bad attempt to pander to American audiences and it doesn't seem to be working because the crowd is well pissed at them. I've got to admit it took a little while for me to click that this is meant to be bad pandering that turns the crowd against them. There's an impressive level of subtlety here, you just don't find this kind of heel in modern wrestling.

Their theme song "All-American Boys" is one of the most brilliant wrestling themes ever written. It's upbeat and starts off sounding like a great babyface theme, but they mention at the end of the first verse that they think long hair is dumb and the preppie look is where it's at. Then in the second verse, they say how much they hate rock 'n' roll, talk up Barry Manilow and spend the second half of it badmouthing Americans in French.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.

Rarity posted:

Oh dear, I have no idea how I'm meant to describe this atrocity that Graham has managed to dig up. At its simplest it is a sweater of... I want to say Bob Marley but I know for sure that it's not actually Bob Marley. It's a sweater of a dude who sorta looks like Bob Marley except all the hair is made out of gold tinsel and the eyes are a piercing blue and the background is a horrendous tie-dye mix of yellows, oranges and pinks. What the gently caress is that?

It looks like a packet of Skittles threw up on him

I think it's Rick James? Hard to tell from that picture.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Jesse was amazing.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Gavok posted:

Their theme song "All-American Boys" is one of the most brilliant wrestling themes ever written. It's upbeat and starts off sounding like a great babyface theme, but they mention at the end of the first verse that they think long hair is dumb and the preppie look is where it's at. Then in the second verse, they say how much they hate rock 'n' roll, talk up Barry Manilow and spend the second half of it badmouthing Americans in French.
Yeah, it's great glorious fabulous!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9UUe1dA3DmA

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

I seriously love Raymond Rougeau's shoot interview because he is the chillest, politest guy probably ever to be a professional wrestler.

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Jason Sextro posted:

I seriously love Raymond Rougeau's shoot interview because he is the chillest, politest guy probably ever to be a professional wrestler.

Except for George "The Animal" Steele who I will never forgive rarity for being mean to :(

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

The storyline being after the Hart Foundation dumped Jimmy Hart, The Rougeaus decided to move from Canada to the US to become "All American Boys", and they took Jimmy to be their manager to help with this. The best thing was in their feud with the Hart Foundation, Jimmy Hart revealed that while Jim and Bret had dump him, he still had a valid contract with them, so Jimmy was giving his percentage of Jim and Bret's winnings to The Fabulous Rougeaus.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Platypus Farm posted:

Except for George "The Animal" Steele who I will never forgive rarity for being mean to :(

Steele's shoot was great.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Ahahaha oh my god this is amazing.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
There's an even better entrance theme for Jacques in a few years.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Vince, for some reason, has never understood how to do time limit stuff. It's weird because you have stuff like Sting/Flair going broadway and turning the former into a star over in the NWA, and then stuff like this where the crowd has no way of knowing that the finish is coming and helping no-one.

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Rarity posted:

Ahahaha oh my god this is amazing.

The third verse in French translates to:

We do not care for them
They are the world's worst
We love to annoy them when we say
We love the USA

Pinstripe Hourglass
Nov 27, 2008

=RIVER PEOPLE=
Ay yi yi! We look
like... cartoons!

Pinstripe Hourglass posted:

Honestly, if you want to see Savage at his best, Rarity, you should watch all the SNMEs going forward from WM4 on. You get to see all his singles angles and there's even a couple shows that are 100% The Randy Savage Show, no Hogan at all!

e: I also think from this point in his career until his WCW run Hogan started to put a lot more effort into his network TV matches than his PPV ones, Wrestlemania excepted. The Hulkster was looking to the next phase of his career and he knew where the eyes were, brother.

I accidentally posted this in the questions thread for some reason. Anyway, regardless of what you do I'm looking forward to you recapping the Mega Powers storyline, Rarity! It's my favorite wrestling angle of all time for how powerful and well told it is, as well as its kind of primordial qualities. Savage's story over the next year is like a Shakespearian tragedy, and I'm only half kidding.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Gaz-L posted:

Vince, for some reason, has never understood how to do time limit stuff. It's weird because you have stuff like Sting/Flair going broadway and turning the former into a star over in the NWA, and then stuff like this where the crowd has no way of knowing that the finish is coming and helping no-one.

The one thing people forget about the Flair/Sting match is that it had three judges at ringside to decide a winner in case it went to a draw. The first called it for Sting, the second for Flair, and the third called it a draw.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
So it turns out tonight we were meant to see a rematch between Brutus Beefcake and the Honky Tonk Man for the Intercontinental title. However, due to unforeseen circumstances Brutus will be unavailable for tonight's show. We then get to see these unforeseen circumstances which involve Brutus being loving destroyed by Ron Bass on a TV show. It's disgusting. Bass ambushes Brutus and strangles him with his bullwhip to knock him out. Then he grabs one of his spurs and starts gouging at Brutus's eye. There's a huge giant censor sign over the screen for this but even so I can see that Brutus is messed up. Someone should have called the cops cause this is basically attempted murder. The midcard run out and save Brutus but it's already way, way, way too late. With Brutus out of action someone else will be facing Honky for the belt later on. But who could it be? :iiam:

drat you, Steven Richards!

Bad News Brown vs. Ken Patera

Is Brown the first heel to come wrestle without a manager? I guess the Rougeaus were sans manager as well but Brown would be the first singles heel to go without. I'm quite ok with that, I think. There's some really great managers in this era but having them in every single match is so excessive.

The match gets started with Brown attacking Patera as soon as he enters the ring. Brown is one of those guys who is deceptively chubby. You look at him and at first you think he's in decent shape but then you look again and realise what you thought was muscle is actually flab. And I thought there was a fair bit of muscle. Gino explains that Patera has legit won medals in major competitions so my guess that he was an 80s version of Kurt Angle was right. Although the research I did just know says that he was a weightlifter so I guess he's more of an 80s copy of Mark Henry. That does sound like a much fairer comparison.

THERE AIN'T NO COPIES OF ME! THERE ONLY ME!

Yes sir, sorry Mark sir.

This ends up being better than I expected which was a nice surprise. I mean, I did expect it to be completely dire and it ended up your standard brawl but with a little bit of pace in there which did make a difference. That said, Patera's clotheslines are the absolute worst. They've got zero weight and zero momentum to them, it looks so dumb when Brown bumps for them.

Patera locks in a bear hug that lasts just a bit too long. He then whips Brown towards the corner and somehow Brown manages to botch hitting the turnbuckle. He runs into the ropes instead and has to twist himself into the turnbuckle! It all looks very silly. Brown gets out of the corner and ends up winning with his finisher, the Ghetto Blaster. It's a neat move, a lot like an enziguri to the back of the neck. That's not something you see these days. Probably because it's really dangerous.

gently caress me, why would you do that?

It turns out the practice of interrupting the PPV for an advert is not a recent one because there's a brief pause in the action to shill Donald Lalonde vs. Sugar Ray Leonard for some kind of boxing title. Was the crossover between wrestling and boxing fans really that big? Cause I've always felt like they cater to two completely different audiences. Leonard would go on to win that confrontation so hurray for him I guess?

Do you remember the kid at Survivor Series pulling Hulk poses? Because he's about to face some competition for Coolest Kid Ever.

OH YEAH, it's the Macho Fan!

It's been sad days recently for the zombified corpse of Mean Gene Okerlund. Due to an incident backstage where he tried to feast on Sam Houston's skull he's been exiled to an underground bunker in the deepest parts of the Nebraska heartlands. In order to disguise this fact when he is interviewing wrestlers tonight the WWF have been forced to use terrible greenscreen CGI to block out his location. This is the only possible explanation that makes sense to me. It's not like they would choose to use something that looks cheap and lovely on purpose after all. They've only done that with King Kong Bundy.

Zombie Mean Gene's first guests for the night are the Mega Powers with Elizabeth alongside. It's a weak promo by both men's standards. Hulk says that the Mega Powers have the strongest union of the teams and Savage adds that their team has a secret weapon in Elizabeth. She's going to deliver the kiss of death to the Mega Bucks. I do like how now that Savage is a face they're really starting to put over how important Elizabeth is rather than treating her like a damsel in distress.

Rick Rude w/ Bobby Heenan vs. The Junkyard Dog

Rude is out first for this one and I think his robes are getting more and more fabulous with every appearance. This one's got a sequin set of Rolling Stones-style lips on the back. Rude winds up for his big striptease routine but first calls the crowd “fat, ugly, inner-city sweathogs” which is one of the best insults I've ever heard. Then the music starts and the robe comes off and this time on his butt he's only gone and got THE JUNKYARD DOG!

Rick Rude is an absolute treasure

Right out the gates JYD gets a HUGE back body drop on Rude that sends him flying over all the way on to his JYD-clad butt. That looks so drat painful. JYD follows up with some crawling headbutts but Rude gets back into it. Rude's offence is looking better than it has in the best, it's got a bit more snap to it. He's still a fan of the long rest holds though which is something I'm hoping he'll get out of his system soon. While Rude's got JYD in a headlock Heenan distracts the ref so Rude breaks the headlock to start choking him, only to have the headlock back on by the time ref turns around. It's a really small moment but it highlights why I'm so high on Rude. He just understands the psychology of playing the heel down to the smallest detail. He didn't need to do that spot to have heel heat but he's going all in to get maximum hate.

Which is why it's all the more beautiful when he tries to crotch JYD's arm and just gets hit in the balls. And oh my god, the sell for this dickshot is up there with the best of all time.

It's like I can feel the pain through the screen

Rude gets back into the match and takes JYD out with a Russian legsweep then he goes up to the top rope. However, before he flies off he pulls down his pants to reveal ANOTHER face on his butt. A lady face! He comes off the top with a fist drop to JYD but then from out of nowhere it's Jake “The Snake” Roberts! The crowd goes MENTAL as he attacks Rude and sends him running out of the ring to the back. Welp, I guess that's the end of the match.

Rude wins by DQ and it's only during the replay that I understand what the gently caress really just happened. It turns out that the lady face on Rude's butt was actually Jake's wife, hence his interruption. Luckily, not picking up on that at first didn't really make a difference because I just assumed Jake and Rude were feuding.

Even with the cheap finish this was a pretty fun little match that really locked me in to being a big Rick Rude fan. It's cool because with guys like Savage and Steamboat I was expecting to be into them but Rude's been a really nice surprise so far and I have no idea what's coming for him in the timeline so I get to be a proper fan for him. It almost feels like he came into wrestling a couple of decades early because if he was doing this today the crowd would be totally embracing him.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Titan Sports (aka WWF) briefly tried promoting boxing on PPV. It went as well as you can image.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Rarity I want you to know I'm going through a rough time and this thread never fails to make me smile so thank you so much for that. :)

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Rarity I want you to know I'm going through a rough time and this thread never fails to make me smile so thank you so much for that. :)

Thanks! I'm really glad that people are enjoying this thread and I really like seeing the discussions that you're all having :D

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Rarity I love ya but anybody who thinks there isn't a crossover between pro wrestling fans and actual fighting is very silly.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

rare Magic card l00k posted:

Rarity I love ya but anybody who thinks there isn't a crossover between pro wrestling fans and actual fighting is very silly.

I mean, pro wrestling is soap opera crossed with gymnastics. And I don't say that to denigrate pro wrestling because that's a loving great combination. The point is fans watch pro wrestling for the characters and the storylines and the flashy moves. No one watches wrestling to debate the merits of Roman Reigns's left hook.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Rarity posted:

I mean, pro wrestling is soap opera crossed with gymnastics. And I don't say that to denigrate pro wrestling because that's a loving great combination. The point is fans watch pro wrestling for the characters and the storylines and the flashy moves. No one watches wrestling to debate the merits of Roman Reigns's left hook.

Fans watch pro wrestling to see the best do what they are the best at, and to see their side beat the side they dislike. Sports works the same way.

Alternately I bet there are more posts in the average Raw GDT whining about the strikes of members of the Shield than there are comments about how much they like the storylines.

Shiki Dan
Oct 27, 2010

If ya can move ya toes ya back's fine
Boxing/Wresting crossovers have nonetheless been one of those ideas that work much better on paper than in practice.

Yes, there is a crossover, but for the most part boxing fans turn down their noses at "fake stuff", and wrestling fans find actual fighting to be "boring".

The only times in Wrestling that boxing has managed to crossover over successfully are like...Ali/Inoki (still scripted, and only happened b/c both men were friends and Ali desperately needed the $$$), Tyson/Austin (again, scripted, and focused more on Tyson as a character rather than a boxer), and Big Show/Mayweather (also a work, but better than it had any right to be, although WWE couldn't foresee Mayweather as a heel during the buildup).

Shiki Dan fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Sep 7, 2017

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Shiki Dan posted:

Boxing/Wresting crossovers have nonetheless been one of those ideas that work much better on paper than in practice.

Yes, there is a crossover, but for the most part boxing fans turn down their noses at "fake stuff", and wrestling fans find actual fighting to be "boring".

The only times in Wrestling that boxing has managed to crossover over successfully are like...Ali/Inoki (still scripted, and only happened b/c both men were friends and Ali desperately needed the $$$), Tyson/Austin (again, scripted, and focused more on Tyson as a character rather than a boxer), and Big Show/Mayweather (also a work, but better than it had any right to be, although WWE couldn't foresee Mayweather as a heel during the buildup).

That WWE tried to make Mayweather the babyface shows that the reason real sports/wrestling crossovers tend to not work out in wrestling is because people who promote wrestling are morons.

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Shiki Dan posted:

I mean there's basically no evidence at all to back up your claim.

Anyway, since I like both boxing and pro wrestling but don't like UFC much I'll say that is "the most part" because it's my point of view.

Also I think we are overlooking Rowdy Roddy Piper v. Mr. T's boxing match which was an incredible crossover event!

edit: and also gorilla v ali was actually pretty entertaining for what it was.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

i forgot all about the JYD rear end pants and my god that is incredible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Ron Bass taking the spurs to Brutus Beefcake was one of the most horrifying things I saw in wrestling as a kid.