Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Backyarr
Jun 6, 2006
There's a pirate in your backyard!

Fallen Rib

FRINGE posted:

Do they really look at their plummeting userbase, read posts like this, and then say "everythings fine, we are smart and good at designing things!"?

I really don't know what else to conclude after seeing Mozilla's behaviour over the last couple of years. Extension devs are even more pissed, first they had to rewrite their addons for e10s, and now Mozilla's forcing yet another API change on them.

See this post from the DownThemAll developer: https://mail.mozilla.org/pipermail/dev-addons/2016-December/002367.html
He's pissed and it shows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
The main thing keeping me on Firefox is Live Bookmarks. I've given up that Chrome will ever have anything that Just Works as well.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

FRINGE posted:

Do they really look at their plummeting userbase, read posts like this, and then say "everythings fine, we are smart and good at designing things!"?

Eh, their userbase was mostly gone way before any of these recent changes. If anything I'd say it's too little too late.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

I'm actually a happy non-complaining camper at the moment. On 55.0.3, Ublock and Flashstopper making the internet a nice place, bookmarks and tabs syncing ok to mobile*, multiprocess disabled due to addons but I don't notice any performance drop, running a fairly new laptop. Maybe it will all come crashing down in a few months, but I can change then.

* tab sync is often slow to update and needs to be forced. It doesn't matter that much as I don't want to drag my entire session over, just keep reading an article while changing device or something like that.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
I'm using Firefox nightly 57 at the moment and I have to say there's a dramatic difference in UI speed and responsiveness. Don’t think I've come across jank at all yet, though the page rendering speed isn't quite up to Blink speeds.

Also, the startup speed is night and day compared with even a few releases ago.

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

FRINGE posted:

I doubt they actually are listening to user feedback, just like every other big software company these days.

I ended up switching to Chrome for my work machine, and it's lightyears ahead in terms of jank-free experience. I also realized while looking for alternatives that not only could I still do everything I used Firefox to do with similar enough extensions to not be a pain, but about a quarter of the extensions I had installed in Firefox were solely there to unbreak stupid design decisions over the years :v:

So, yeah, in less than a day I was acclimated to Chrome. Haven't touched my home Firefox install because I'm lazy and hate doing this kind of poo poo unless I have to, but if it goes and updates itself to 55 one day out of the blue then that's it for me. Oh well!

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Buff Skeleton posted:

I doubt they actually are listening to user feedback, just like every other big software company these days.

They have a vision!

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!

Buff Skeleton posted:

about a quarter of the extensions I had installed in Firefox were solely there to unbreak stupid design decisions over the years :v:
What stupid design decisions are these that aren't also in Chrome? I thought that was the common complaint with Firefox's design, that it was copying chrome.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Lakitu7 posted:

I'm in up-to-date 55. Windows 10 mouse settings says the wheel scrolls "multiple lines at a time". In Logtech's settings app, it's set to 3 lines at a time. Checking now, I apparently still somehow have both extensions (TabMixPlus and FireGestures) set to provide the "switch tabs with scroll wheel over tab bar" options. Mine changes only one tab.

Probably that's not helpful but all I can say is that it *should* work? Maybe it would help to install drivers for your mouse from Logitech or whoever else might have made it?

Hey, thanks for the reply. I went and tried updating Setpoint to the newest version and messed with its options: no dice. I also went and tried completely removing Firefox and starting with a new install and a new profile: also no dice.

I guess I'm hosed.

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

The Merkinman posted:

What stupid design decisions are these that aren't also in Chrome? I thought that was the common complaint with Firefox's design, that it was copying chrome.

Indeed, and it's not that Chrome doesn't have its own problems like lack of UI flexibility. It's that if Firefox is going to take away its key feature -- flexibility -- then what's the point of using it anymore when a more stable, better-supported, and faster browser can do the same things?

ringu0
Feb 24, 2013

Warning: a new uBlock 1.14.x kills existing settings.

gorhill posted:

If your settings were lost with the upgrade to 1.14.0, you can restore them manually, as follow:

- Install uBO version 1.13.8: https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/downloads/file/685614/ublock_origin-1.13.8-an+fx+sm+tb.xpi.

- Backup all your settings: go to the "Settings" pane in the dashboard, then click on the "Backup to file" button at the bottom.

- Re-install the most recent version of uBO from AMO.

- Restore your settings: go to the "Settings" pane in the dashboard, then click on the "Restore from file..." button at the bottom.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

ringu0 posted:

Warning: a new uBlock 1.14.x kills existing settings.

Jeez, I'm getting really lucky with these installs it seems.. The only addons I have are ublock origin, noscript, and Better Twitch TV / FrankerfaceZ, maybe its some problem with other add ons causing this? or maybe firefox just sucks

astral
Apr 26, 2004

spit on my clit posted:

Jeez, I'm getting really lucky with these installs it seems.. The only addons I have are ublock origin, noscript, and Better Twitch TV / FrankerfaceZ, maybe its some problem with other add ons causing this? or maybe firefox just sucks

You are because I lost my uBlock settings again when ESR updated it to 1.14.4

After squaring that away, I ran into a weird problem (still on ESR) where the 1.14.4 from a.m.o did not process my custom cosmetic filtering rules but the 1.14.4 from his github does

I am just tired at this point

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

spit on my clit posted:

Everything worked fine for me too.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Your perception of Firefox's stability is not really helped by reading a thread largely devoted to complaining about Firefox and getting troubleshooting help with bugs.

For most users it works fine, which is the case with probably all the major browsers.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

astral posted:

Exactly where I am, too.

For some weird reason, the latest update killed my ability to use Ebay. No other sites, just Ebay - despite not having a single extension or script which ran on it. Literally none of the links or search boxes work.

Wasn't even mad.

:sigh:

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

I assume you've cleared your cache and tried in safe mode and all? Those are usually enough for site-specific problems for me (although sometimes it's not on my end and I just have to wait it out).

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
I've got it narrowed down to four extensions. But, it's not one extension on its own, which made things fun.

There's some sort of weird anti-synergy going on where any extension on its own is fine, but two at a time in any combination will kill the site.

I don't use Ebay very much, so I'm happy* to just open Chrome.

* for a given value of happy.

EpicCodeMonkey
Feb 19, 2011

astral posted:

You are because I lost my uBlock settings again when ESR updated it to 1.14.4

After squaring that away, I ran into a weird problem (still on ESR) where the 1.14.4 from a.m.o did not process my custom cosmetic filtering rules but the 1.14.4 from his github does

Same boat. I've already had to give up on a lot of extensions that made Firefox stand out, and even with a modern substitutes and a very pared down list, uBlock and uMatrix isn't working right currently on the latest stable build.

I briefly tried futzing around with Nightly to bypass the extension signing required to restore uMatrix, but at this point while I appreciate it will fix things in the future, I'm giving up after using Firefox for the last decade.

On the plus side, this finally pushed me to get Chrome set up to parity, and happily its mature uBlock/uMatrix combo works great. I've added a few other minor extensions but ultimately while I don't like the Chrome UI as much, the core UX is very stable so once I'm over it I won't have to constantly re-adjust. It's missing a ton of customisation options I've grown to love...but then again, so's Firefox now.

I think Firefox will be in a much better place in a year's time once all the transitions to Web Extensions are complete, but whether anyone will be interested in using it at that point after all the hassle is anyone's guess.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Nalin posted:

The main thing keeping me on Firefox is Live Bookmarks. I've given up that Chrome will ever have anything that Just Works as well.

Not as elegant as Live Bookmarks, but this is the closest I could find on Chrome:

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/rss-feed-reader/pnjaodmkngahhkoihejjehlcdlnohgmp?hl=en

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Gorilla Salad posted:

Oh most definitely.

I can't stand YT's default options for player size.

I have a huge monitor, why would I only want the video to cover the top half of the screen and leave the rest a glaring white? YT has a shockingly bad interface all around.

youtube.com/new

new youtube has a dark mode and the theatre mode actually makes the video cover the width of the window. i can't believe it took them this long to implement this but that's 90% of the reason i hosed about with all these extensions

is there a webextension equivalent to videodownloadhelper yet? nice to see ublock has got updated; any eta on umatrix? oh there's a dev version on github

Generic Monk fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Sep 3, 2017

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
That dark mode is very nice. Thanks.

That means I can turn off the Stylish script I had running for the site.

Now just for every other video site to do the same.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Generic Monk posted:

is there a webextension equivalent to videodownloadhelper yet?

Not yet, but videodownloadhelper's developer is working on updating it to being a webextension. It should be ready by the time 57 comes out.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

I'm on the verge of coming back to Firefox 57 as my main browser after nearly a year of using Vivaldi. Most of my extensions have got reasonably good replacements as WebExtensions now. I understand that LastPass will have one ready for the mainstream release of 57, but can anyone recommend an alternative that's safe to use in the meantime?

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

WattsvilleBlues posted:

I'm on the verge of coming back to Firefox 57 as my main browser after nearly a year of using Vivaldi. Most of my extensions have got reasonably good replacements as WebExtensions now. I understand that LastPass will have one ready for the mainstream release of 57, but can anyone recommend an alternative that's safe to use in the meantime?

LastPass is hilariously bad and way less secure than a post-it note to begin with.

Use KeepAss and abandon browser extensions for copy-paste. Literally the best method now. Yes it sucks.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
Oh great the L word has been said twice now, one more and that guy gets summoned here. gently caress.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Im_Special posted:

Oh great the L word has been said twice now, one more and that guy gets summoned here. gently caress.

Tavis Ormandy?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

So are any cloud password managers actually recommended?

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

Im_Special posted:

Who?

Well lets see.

LastPass

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

WattsvilleBlues posted:

So are any cloud password managers actually recommended?

Keepass + random cloud storage = "cloud password manager"

or pay for 1password if that sounds too difficult

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
:siren:This is not the loving password manager thread:siren:

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Alereon posted:

:siren:This is not the loving password manager thread:siren:

Sorry sir. Is there an actual thread on this?

Yuwe
Apr 6, 2009

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Sorry sir. Is there an actual thread on this?

I believe you're looking for this one. Not strictly for password managers but it covers that subject.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

What's the recommended addon people use to get a download button on youtube? The one I had broke with the latest update

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

I just use youtube-dl from the command line.

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

Gorilla Salad posted:

For some weird reason, the latest update killed my ability to use Ebay. No other sites, just Ebay - despite not having a single extension or script which ran on it. Literally none of the links or search boxes work.

Yeah, J-- told me he was having this issue. The fix was to disable the Amazon Smile button and some other Amazon extension. No, I don't understand it either. (Either the extensions or the trouble with eBay.)

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

LethalGeek posted:

What's the recommended addon people use to get a download button on youtube? The one I had broke with the latest update

YouTube Video and Audio Downloader (Dev Edt.) is really good, and it can even do audio extraction and post-processing.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Avenging Dentist posted:

1000x times this.

it's more effort up front but believe me it's better to spend an hour or two to learn youtube-dl and then have it work forever then to look for the new "easy" solution every time youtube updates it's backend and fucks the browser extension you're using. Plus youtube-dl has way better options for what format you get.

and now they have a static compile so you don't need to install python or anything, just put youtube-dl.exe and ffmpeg in the same directory and go.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

LethalGeek posted:

Last night, YT gave me the option to get rid of their latest update and go back to how it was before.

So not only does YT Centre work again, so do my download extensions :dance:

atholbrose posted:

Yeah, J-- told me he was having this issue. The fix was to disable the Amazon Smile button and some other Amazon extension. No, I don't understand it either. (Either the extensions or the trouble with eBay.)

Firefox doing some weird poo poo that makes no sense? Must be Tuesday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Avenging Dentist posted:

Seconding this. It's a little less convenient to use than a couple of mouse clicks, but it gives top quality results in terms of audio and/or video quality.