Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Although the funny thing is that Tom Cruise hurt himself doing a stunt so they had to take a six week break on filming MI. So he totally could have just shaved it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Also, putting on a CGI mustache is probably way easier and cheaper than using CGI to take a mustache out. Paramount are just being assholes.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Or, you know, just a regular fake mustache.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

muscles like this! posted:

"But my immersion!!" :qq:

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

I read about this story and thought about the cg moustache suggestion back when it first came out and Jesus Christ this is the first time I thought, hey, what about a regular fake mustache make up can whip up in an hour under 20 bucks

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Can leap heaps of logic in a single bound.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
They totally can and should release Superman With A Mustache Cut as a DVD extra.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Every actor who shared a scene with him is definitely a pro because I don't think I could hold a dialogue with moustache superman without at least giggling the entire way through

bean_shadow
Sep 27, 2005

If men had uteruses they'd be called duderuses.
The show Murphy Brown hasn't aged well. Who could have predicted that Dan Quayle jokes wouldn't hold up twenty-five years later?

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
Any show where women having a big butt was bad.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

bean_shadow posted:

The show Murphy Brown hasn't aged well. Who could have predicted that Dan Quayle jokes wouldn't hold up twenty-five years later?

That was about five seasons into Murphy Brown out of 10, wasn't it? There's lots of programmes like that which had very long broadcast runs that just didn't leave a massive cultural footprint. I remember looking up how a lot of those Steven R. Bochco / David E. Kelley police and lawyer shows went from being number-one shows that monopolised the Emmys in the pre-West Wing / Sopranos era to never getting a complete DVD release in America.

Dennis Franz won more Emmys for best drama actor than James Gandolfini did for The Sopranos and as many as Bryan Cranston did for Breaking Bad. NYPD Blue lasted for 12 years; its last season coincided with the first of Lost. See also: Candice Bergen winning best comedy actress five years in a row for Murphy Brown, then Helen Hunt winning four times in a row for Mad About You.

See also: shows like thirtysomething and Picket Fences (and to an extent L.A. Law) which either were nominated or won the best drama award every year they were on and today just aren't remembered.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Picket Fences remains amazing to this day and I will never forget it

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

TV wasn't prestigious at all pre Sopranos so Denis Franz winning a bunch of Emmys means nothing. ER was way better than NYPD Blue anyway, which also didn't look anything like new york.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

purple death ray posted:

Picket Fences remains amazing to this day and I will never forget it

:same:

It was an actually good show that successfully mixed quirky characters and interesting drama of small town life. Plus it had that weird episode where the son was going through the nocturnal emission phase of puberty, and one of his wet dreams was of Lauren Holly in lingerie with a game boy and chocolate cake.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Choco1980 posted:

:same:

It was an actually good show that successfully mixed quirky characters and interesting drama of small town life. Plus it had that weird episode where the son was going through the nocturnal emission phase of puberty, and one of his wet dreams was of Lauren Holly in lingerie with a game boy and chocolate cake.

They did not shy away from basically anything on that show. I started watching it for the funny lawyer man and the cranky judge but I was hooked on the way they would tackle topics like teenage sex, puberty, school shootings, death, and anything else that happens to real people, and poo poo that didn't, like when the youngest kid got loving stigmata

It was simultaneously super grounded and relatable and completely bonkers weird.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

purple death ray posted:

It was simultaneously super grounded and relatable and completely bonkers weird.

Was it the Riverdale of the early 90s?

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
I also remember a weird moment where for some reason that made sense at the time, a cow's udder literally exploded on Tom Skerritt's face.

Man, what a weird show in retrospect.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Choco1980 posted:

I also remember a weird moment where for some reason that made sense at the time, a cow's udder literally exploded on Tom Skerritt's face.

Man, what a weird show in retrospect.

Haha what? what??

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Aesop Poprock posted:

Haha what? what??

It was meant to be an X-Files crossover episode. Plans were scrapped and both shows removed the references to each other. In X-Files season 2 there is an episode where they go to a place that looks a lot like Rome, Wisconsin to solve some murders.

Dragonstoned
Jan 15, 2006

MR. DOG WITH BEES IN HIS MOUTH AND WHEN HE BARKS HE SHOOTS BEES AT YOU
by Roger Hargreaves

I was just reading about that episode and even though I've never seen Picket Fences, it would have made for a pretty awesome idea for a crossover.

wikipedia posted:

as the story goes, David E. Kelley and Chris Carter (creator of The X-Files) were talking in a parking lot on the Fox lot one day and thought it might be interesting to have Mulder and Scully visit Rome, Wisconsin for an X-Files episode. Originally, the two shows would be shot with different viewpoints– one from the X-Files perspective and the other from Picket Fences'.
The official approval was never given by Fox and CBS, so the only remnants remaining of this effort are the X-Files episode "Red Museum" and the Picket Fences episode "Away in the Manger" having similar plotlines involving cows. While every reference to Picket Fences has been purged from the X-Files episode, there still are some small winks left in the Picket Fences episode referring to the happenings at the X-Files and some minor characters there.

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002

Besesoth posted:

I can't think of a TV series that did this, but "Jessie's Song" aired about two years after Greg Louganis, an HIV-positive diver, hit his head on the board at the 1988 Olympics and his blood got into the pool; there was a lot of furor because he hadn't disclosed his HIV status.

Interestingly, in 1997, Mario Lopez - who played Slater on Saved By The Bell - played Louganis in a TV movie about the incident.

I didn't watch it, but I heard some guys talking about it at school the next day, and one of them said that he got raped in a shower before-hand as well.

I never looked into it, but that seemed like something that both would have happened in a late 90's TV movie while also being really weird looking back on it now.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Gaunab posted:

Any show or movie from the 90s that had a badass character with a mullet.

MacGyver, noooooo

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Not a TV show but boy is AVGN calling himself the angriest gamer you ever heard quaint now. :v:

Benny Harvey
Nov 24, 2012

There was an episode of Frasier where his boss talks about ordering something off of the "Ukrainian internet".

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

RareAcumen posted:

Not a TV show but boy is AVGN calling himself the angriest gamer you ever heard quaint now. :v:

A lot of his older stuff is hard to watch too, but I am pretty sure it's mostly the Friends thing where it's been copied so much it's cliche but it wasn't then. The entire concept for what a youtube video is was so different back then too.

bean_shadow
Sep 27, 2005

If men had uteruses they'd be called duderuses.

Benny Harvey posted:

There was an episode of Frasier where his boss talks about ordering something off of the "Ukrainian internet".

The parts where Bulldog flat-out sexually harasses Roz and the way it's played for laughs hasn't aged well.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

bean_shadow posted:

The parts where Bulldog flat-out sexually harasses Roz and the way it's played for laughs hasn't aged well.

What about the time he forcefully kisses her as she smacks him in the side of the head to stop him before realizing she wants to gently caress him again? I think we can all agree that's just normal everyday human courting. Nothing predatory or creepy about it.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

bean_shadow posted:

Everybody slut shaming Roz. Niles creeping on Daphne for like a decade.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

What is the 00's equivalent of Ally McBeal,? In that it was big at the time, but when it ended it evaporated from memory as if it was never there?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Alias? I don't think anyone talks about that show anymore.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

There's a bunch of shows like that now. Did you know USA produced 100 episodes of Suits, 75 episodes of Covert Affairs, and 81 episodes of White Collar?

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Inspector Gesicht posted:

What is the 00's equivalent of Ally McBeal,? In that it was big at the time, but when it ended it evaporated from memory as if it was never there?

I nominate "The Big Bang Theory" but that's more a 2010's thing.

I do not get the appeal and popularity of that show at all.

"Two and a Half Men" is another one.

Stupid garbage.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

BiggerBoat posted:

BiggerBoat posted:

Stupid garbage.

Asked and answered. It's turned on by people who sit through it playing with their phones.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

BiggerBoat posted:

I nominate "The Big Bang Theory" but that's more a 2010's thing.

"Two and a Half Men" is another one.

Stupid garbage.

The Big Bang Theory is still ongoing though, it's still big and fresh in people's minds. So much so that it's getting a spin-off show (that's probably going to flop).

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Dexie posted:

The Big Bang Theory is still ongoing though, it's still big and fresh in people's minds. So much so that it's getting a spin-off show (that's probably going to flop).

Don't get it at all. I'd say "Two and Half Men" and "The Big Theory" haven't aged well but, like you said, they're ongoing but always sucked from the beginning to me so probably don't count. I wonder if they'll live on in syndication like Cheers, Taxi, All in the Family or MASH. Who likes this dumb poo poo? I've TRIED to watch it

I just posted those two shows in reference to the "Ally McBeal" question, re: forgettable crap that was popular for some reason at one time.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Alias? I don't think anyone talks about that show anymore.

That's because the final season poo poo the bed worse than season 7 of Gilmore Girls.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
Sex and the City, maybe? What about JAG? Both of those seemed super popular for whatever reason, but I don't think many people talk about them now.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Leavemywife posted:

Sex and the City, maybe? What about JAG? Both of those seemed super popular for whatever reason, but I don't think many people talk about them now.

I always mentally expand "JAG" to "Jet-Assisted General". It's a much more fun show that way.

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun

Gaunab posted:

Any show where women having a big butt was bad.

When Al Bundy kept complaining about those 200lb monsters. Surely nobody could get that fat? :aaaaa:

Leavemywife posted:

I keep seeing rumours about a Sex and the City 3 movie. So people still care about the show. By contrast I don't think anyone has pushed for an Ally McBeal Netflix revival or movie. It's horribly dated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Probably stuff like One Tree Hill and The OC.

The peak "Is that thing still on?" show for me is Grey's Anatomy (it was that and Bones, but I'm pretty sure Bones is done now). I'm not sure if it'll get that "huge forgotten show" status. We'll see.