Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

kirtar posted:

There was that AMD presentation a while back that suggested vSOC 1.1V and the RAM voltage 1.4-1.5V. I'm running dual rank B-die (G.Skill F4-3200C14D-32GTZKY) at the same timings and frequency without any voltage increase, so I'm surprised that there is a problem on single rank B-die. Video below in case you feel like watching.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZgpHTaQ10k

Chiming in to add that I did set the RAM voltage to 1.4, which is what the sticker on the box told me it wanted and it seems fine though I've only tested with memtest so far because I haven't quite pulled the trigger on the storage and don't feel like installing anything temporarily. We'll see soon if that falls apart under 'real' load, I guess :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord
This is a good a time as any to ask the embarrassing question: what is 'pass thru' wrt virtualization?

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Instead of virtualizing a resource through an abstraction layer, you dedicate its resources and hardware addresses exclusively to a single VM. In most cases, you have a second GPU and you dedicate that directly to a single VM so it doesn't have to use a virtualized GPU driver. This started out back in the day with being able to passthrough something like a dedicated NIC or SCSI card to a single VM on your hypervisor. I did it for a while to virtualize an old backup server with a direct attach SAS tape library.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord
Ah, got it. Thank you!

eames
May 9, 2009

Mindfactory (very large german retailer) displays their sale stats on the product pages and people figured out that AMD overtook Intel this month in both CPUs sold and CPU revenue :toot:

http://imgur.com/a/O2O5C

WanderingKid
Feb 27, 2005

lives here...
Wow 7600K got wrecked.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
I really, really want to replace my 3770k with a 1700 or 1700x, but I can't stand how expensive 3200mhz DDR4 is, or how picky Ryzen is about running RAM at rated speeds.

For those deeper in this than me, the RAM-not-running-at-rated-speeds issue has been slowly getting better over time, right? I know that each motherboard manufacturer publishes compatibility lists, but sorting through those lists and trying to find the best, cheapest RAM to buy is time-consuming.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Ryzen's memory controller ages like fine wine

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
I've been wanting to get a 1700 also and overclock it, but it's hard with Coffee Lake so close and wanting to see how the two compare...

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

SourKraut posted:

I've been wanting to get a 1700 also and overclock it, but it's hard with Coffee Lake so close and wanting to see how the two compare...

I'm waiting to see what Coffeelake does to Ryzen prices.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Sep 2, 2017

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

Yeah, that's part of it too. I don't know how much more AMD could cut prices though? The 1700 already goes down to $270 - would we see it drop even lower, if the i5-8600K comes in at the rumored $250-$280 range? Or would AMD maybe just lower it permanently to $270 or whatever and say "16 threads to 6, single threaded performance good enough!"?

Khorne
May 1, 2002

I'm waiting for zen+. Then maybe waiting another year or two after that but probably not because my nephews need a pc and it would be a sweet rear end gift to give them this one.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

A SWEATY FATBEARD posted:

I'm a proud new owner of a 1700X on an ASUS Prime X370-PRO board. The processor is modestly overclocked to 3700 MHz and under full load the temperature doesn't go over 65C. The downside is that the machine is ridiculously picky about RAM, I got me a pair of 3200MHz sticks which max out at 2133MHz, and then I swapped them out for a pair of Ryzen-certified 3200MHz sticks which top out at 2400 MHz instead. I'm not too happy about that, updated the BIOS to no avail.

Oh well, glad I got the old FX rig out the door. Youtube videos stuttered on FX and this used to drive me up the walls - a stark contrast to Ryzen which smoothly schedules threads, and doesn't stutter even when the processor is maxed out with number crunching. Anyway, Ryzen is good but suffers from teething troubles. :)

youtube stuttering is less of an indictment of the fx cpu and more an indictment of goog's boneheaded insistence on encoding everything in vp9 when a majority of computers in use don't have a hardware path for it. get h264ify.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

There's some chatter over on the AnandTech forums about primitives binning tuned for Raven Ridge and not Vega.

I'm so curious about these APUs. I can't wait to get weird with them.

A SWEATY FATBEARD
Oct 6, 2012

:buddy: GAY 4 ORGANS :buddy:

Generic Monk posted:

youtube stuttering is less of an indictment of the fx cpu and more an indictment of goog's boneheaded insistence on encoding everything in vp9 when a majority of computers in use don't have a hardware path for it. get h264ify.

It wasn't just Youtube, attempting to view any HD video while system was busy number crunching in the background lead to stuttering. I blame dire cache mispredictions causing the system to pull data out of system RAM instead from L2 cache.

Also, I RMA-d the misbehaving DDR4 memory sticks and the guys at the service center told me that apparently the whole series of these memories are duds - they already had three RMAs of these sticks the past week alone and they agreed to replace them, no questions asked. So it looks like it isn't the processor's fault, G.Skill RAM just aint up to the task it would seem. We'll see how new sticks will perform - and if they too refuse to work as advertised, the guys told me that they'll give me my money back.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

A SWEATY FATBEARD posted:

It wasn't just Youtube, attempting to view any HD video while system was busy number crunching in the background lead to stuttering. I blame dire cache mispredictions causing the system to pull data out of system RAM instead from L2 cache.

Also, I RMA-d the misbehaving DDR4 memory sticks and the guys at the service center told me that apparently the whole series of these memories are duds - they already had three RMAs of these sticks the past week alone and they agreed to replace them, no questions asked. So it looks like it isn't the processor's fault, G.Skill RAM just aint up to the task it would seem. We'll see how new sticks will perform - and if they too refuse to work as advertised, the guys told me that they'll give me my money back.

That RAM has worked for tons of other people, it sounds like they got a bad batch, also the actual memory is made by Samsung, not G.Skill.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
I really want to put together a new system with a mini-ITX Ryzen mobo, but right now the reviews on the motherboards that I've been looking at are really really mixed.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

Three-Phase posted:

reviews on the motherboards that I've been looking at are really really mixed.

That sounds about right for Ryzen, heh.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
Decided to go with a ryzen 7 1700x for my upgrade, now it's time to settle on a motherboard. Do people here have any experience or strong opinions about any of the following:

MSI ATX DDR4 AM4 AMD X370 Chipset SATA III
ASUS Prime X370-Pro AMD Ryzen AM4
GIGABYTE AORUS GA-AX370-Gaming K7 (rev. 1.0) AM4 AMD
ASUS ROG Crosshair VI Hero AM4 AMD X370 SATA

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

Wirth1000 posted:

That sounds about right for Ryzen, heh.

Yeah there was a Gigabyte mobo that would work with R7 but require a firmware update to run R5.

It's kinda hard to do a firmware update without a functioning CPU... and I don't think the BIOS is on replaceable DIP socketed chips anymore.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Three-Phase posted:

and I don't think the BIOS is on replaceable DIP socketed chips anymore.

That sucks. I was in that situation with phenom 2 and used an eBay bios chip to fix it.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

That sucks. I was in that situation with phenom 2 and used an eBay bios chip to fix it.

Lots of motherboards still have replaceable bios chips. They are typically 8 pin chips.

gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

Three-Phase posted:

Yeah there was a Gigabyte mobo that would work with R7 but require a firmware update to run R5.

It's kinda hard to do a firmware update without a functioning CPU... and I don't think the BIOS is on replaceable DIP socketed chips anymore.

The one good thing about my current X299 Asus board (with all its USB issues) is that it has a feature where you can update the BIOS with a USB stick even if there's no CPU in the system, given it needed an update for the Intel Core i7 6800k I bought it with.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
WCCFT article, salt now so you're not salty later: http://wccftech.com/amd-talks-ryzen-zen-2-ipc-clock-speed/

quote:

Don Woligroski, Desktop CPU Marketing Manager at AMD

I’ve said this before and I think it holds true. Zen, Ryzen, was the worst case scenario. It was a brand new architecture on a brand new node. So the worst case scenario we could’ve possibly had, and it’s pretty good. You can get to over 4.GHz.

We’re definitely working on improving, our engineers [are] really smart guys and things are looking better as we go along. I can’t talk to specifics on IPC but that’s an area of focus. We’ve got clock speed headroom to take advantage of and we’ve got tweaks to make sure performance for each clock is better. I’m really looking forward to it…

…I’m personally very encouraged by what’s happening in the next little while. We threw down in 2017. We’ve seen our competitor starting to wake up and respond and we’re not just going to roll over. We have more stuff to come, we’ve got really good stuff coming. We’re not a one hit wonder, we’re keeping the pressure on for sometime. It’ll be a great 2018,. It was a great 2017 and we’ll see how things turn out.

Scarecow
May 20, 2008

3200mhz RAM is literally the Devil. Literally.
Lipstick Apathy
Hhrrrrfgh i can only be this erect for so long

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Clock and IPC bump? Please to be giving soon!

Scarecow
May 20, 2008

3200mhz RAM is literally the Devil. Literally.
Lipstick Apathy
Even if it was just a clock bump that would shake things up so hard

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!
AMD isn't that far behind Intel even now, both an IPC and clock bump would put them within margin of error for Coffeelake. If they have anything at all, a leak right now to discourage Coffeelake sales would be a really good marketing move.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
Man, if they get anywhere near the Bulldozer -> Piledriver improvements that happened as their last uArch matured, they'll be in amazing shape.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
We've got the best 2018, don't we folks?

I'm excited for Zen 2 or Plus

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Zen2 has always had the potential for greatness. Zen1 is already not half bad, if they can bump the IPC and clocks up a bit, fix the memory controller's touchiness, and get some of the errata fixed then Zen2 could easily be going toe-to-toe with Coffee Lake.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Running the internal clocks async from the memory controller clock is about the only thing keeping me away. I don't want to sit there and screw around with optimizing the hell out of my memory timings for a bunch of memory bandwidth I can't actually use just to get the inter-core transport running faster.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Just a reminder that if you go off AnandTech's reporting on the process nodes, Zen 2 won't show up until late 2018/early 2019, which means it will potentially be going against Intel's 10nm Ice Lake and not Coffee Lake. Rumor is that Zen will get a mild refresh in 2018 to go against Coffee Lake, but no process or architectural changes. So maybe a few hundred mhz, but no IPC change.

Late '18-early '19 will be when things really get interesting for both companies.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

And judging by the mask count Intel is undergoing one of the biggest rolling shitshows in 10nm and pushing any improvements down the stack to 7nm

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Cygni posted:

Just a reminder that if you go off AnandTech's reporting on the process nodes, Zen 2 won't show up until late 2018/early 2019, which means it will potentially be going against Intel's 10nm Ice Lake and not Coffee Lake. Rumor is that Zen will get a mild refresh in 2018 to go against Coffee Lake, but no process or architectural changes. So maybe a few hundred mhz, but no IPC change.

Late '18-early '19 will be when things really get interesting for both companies.

Is Zen2 the same as Zen+ and are we still talking about AM4 or is this AM4+?

The 2 vs + is making me :psyduck: here

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Munkeymon posted:

Is Zen2 the same as Zen+ and are we still talking about AM4 or is this AM4+?

The 2 vs + is making me :psyduck: here

Originally the successor to Zen was called Zen+ in AMDs roadmaps. They later changed it to Zen2 but some people use that and Zen+ interchangeably. But now there is also a Zen refresh coming which is sometimes referred to as Zen+ :v:

Both should be compatable with with AM4.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

I made a chart! It might be wrong! Hell yeah!

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Motion to just use Zen, Zen Refresh, and Zen2?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

new leak from wccftech

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

repiv posted:

new leak from wccftech

Big if true