Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
RE5's inventory works because the game's engagements are much smaller than RE4's. On a whole there's much less to actually do in the grand scheme thanks to a great variety of melee and certain weapons are useful all the time (MP5, practically infinite ammo, piercing, and stable aiming ensuring melee at all opportunities) (PSG-1/Dragunov, semi-automatic, headshotting the guys with guns is the least painful way of dealing with their poo poo) and the game drops herbs when anybody gets into the red. The inventory is perfectly designed around The Mercenaries and the DLC at any rate.

I don't see how RE6's inventory is difficult.

Lunethex fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Sep 4, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Ilpalazzo
Sep 4, 2012
I think 6's might be nicer if there were a way to store weapons or something. (I am glad there's no way to store excess ammo though, that solved one of RE5's more annoying balance issues.)

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

rabidsquid posted:

i know people want RE4 to be a survival horror game because "it's the greatest RE!" and RE5 and 6 are not survival horror and bad, ergo RE4 must be survival horror and good, but honestly it's really not.

although yes depending on the version the game will just not give you much ammo, or will not give you much treasure, but frankly my favorite thing that sometimes happens is when you play efficiently enough that the game thinks you're doing a knife only run and stops giving you ammo.

5 is still survival horror to me though, just with tacked on co-op and much less in terms of puzzles. RE6 went full on action game but did a bad job of communicating that to the player in a fun way, especially by having Leon's chapter first appear first. Wish 7 had gone back to the attache case system though, its inventory was not interesting at all.

Sir Ilpalazzo posted:

RE5's inventory system does most of what you ascribe to RE4's here - limits your inventory space even more harshly than RE4's smaller cases and forces you to arrange your inventory smartly (keeping ammo types next to their appropriate weapons so you can quick-reload more easily in the heat of battle, keeping your non-d-pad items in places you know you'll be able to switch to intuitively and easily when the time comes).

What you say about RE4's system is only really true for the smallest attache case. As soon as you start buying the more expensive ones, you have more than enough room to carry everything you need at all times (unless you decide to roll with a handgun, shotgun, rifle, and TMP, I guess). It's definitely the most forgiving inventory system in any of the mainline Resident Evils.

But RE5 gives the same value to each item. I never quick reloaded via the inventory because frankly that's unnecessary for standard play, and items are all of the same size and not only does that not make much sense, it can feel really annoying with small inventory stacks. I want to grab this herb but I can't fit it with my one gun and 8 stacks of ammo, and my co-op partner similarly cannot fit it with their 8 guns and one stack of ammo. In RE4, even with bigger attache cases, you're forced to make hard decisions that feel right about whether or not you toss out the excess grenades you have in exchange for this green herb because maybe you'll find a red or yellow herb later, or if you want to sell the shotgun so you can have a scope and stocks for your other weapons, etc. What upgrades to the attache case do is make you feel the progress you're making through the tangible size of your inventory.

RE5 in my eyes made no improvement to any mechanic seen in RE4, the inventory system is a step down and co-op felt horribly tacked on to me. It never felt organic or even really interesting at any point. 6 made an attempt at totally reworking how combat worked, and while it is infinitely more satisfying if you play it right, it does a piss poor job of teaching the player how to do that and the guns feel anemic as poo poo compared to how even starter pistols feel in 4 and 5. It isn't until Jake's chapter that you realise just how much more fun punching things is when you're stuck to a character whose whole gimmick is punching things.

Take note that I'm not someone who plays Mercenaries at all or tries to do daft challenge runs. I just play the game once on normal and call it quits. Exploits like quick reloading are about as much a plus to me as sticking a bucket on a guy's head in Skyrim so you can steal from them without being caught.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Hold your fire! I'm a HUUUman!

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

lmao the gun store owner at the beginning of RE2 is an idiot fucker, "by the time I noticed something was wrong, the entire city was infested with zombies", like what the gently caress did you do white boy, did you nap all loving day and miss all the chaotic madness of mindless zombies massing more and more and devouring people in a hellish landscape as the very pillars of society crumble around you, did you sleep through that you dumb gently caress lol, "man everyone sure is acting weird, oh man what happened to my gun shop, better go inside and grab the last of the ammo and a shotgun/crossbow depending on who walks in my door, good thing i have those glass windows to protect me, dont u worry girlie"

rip in peace fat goony gun store owner

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

*perfectly normal person capable of speech with no injuries or rotting skin or bite marks walks in*

WHEW! SORRY ABOUT THAT, I THOUGHT YOU WERE ONE OF THEM!!!!!!!!!

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Good soup! posted:

*perfectly normal person capable of speech with no injuries or rotting skin or bite marks walks in*

hey

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9oqnz07Y7K4&t=79s

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

"don't worry Martin I will rescue the survivors in the other rooms but I won't feel bad about you dyin, you're a cop so just lock the door and I'll be sure to shoot you dead permanently on my way out haha"

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

What the loving gently caress is the puzzel with the two statues gazing at the other statue and it drops the red jewel, can you imagine working in a police station and walking past that everyday, I wonder what the talk was like around the water cooler

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Good soup! posted:

lmao the gun store owner at the beginning of RE2 is an idiot fucker, "by the time I noticed something was wrong, the entire city was infested with zombies", like what the gently caress did you do white boy, did you nap all loving day and miss all the chaotic madness of mindless zombies massing more and more and devouring people in a hellish landscape as the very pillars of society crumble around you, did you sleep through that you dumb gently caress lol, "man everyone sure is acting weird, oh man what happened to my gun shop, better go inside and grab the last of the ammo and a shotgun/crossbow depending on who walks in my door, good thing i have those glass windows to protect me, dont u worry girlie"

Remember that Jill didn't think about leaving the city until her apartment building was entirely on fire. Raccoon City is full of idiots.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Momomo posted:

Remember that Jill didn't think about leaving the city until her apartment building was entirely on fire. Raccoon City is full of idiots.

*zombies are running around killing everyone*

MAN, WHATS GOING ON IN THIS TOWN????

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Patrol report

I was out and found a strange individual lurking outside of an important facility and recovered explosives, a remote detonator, and handgun rounds along with an infrared scope.

No further investigation necessary. All quiet.

End of report.

-an actual document the raccoon city police wrote

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Momomo posted:

The beginning of RE3 is weird. There's rendered art that isn't in the game that indicates you're meant to think the outbreak happened while she was out and about, so she ran home to get her gun and then had to shoot her way out of her burning apartment building. It's in keeping with the general idea in RE2 that things were degenerating behind the scenes, but there was a night where everything went to hell all at once.

Then Outbreak comes along and retroactively adds a good six days to the outbreak timeline, which is fine as far as it goes but which makes Jill look extravagantly dumb, most notably because she thought a sleeveless top and miniskirt was zombie outbreak chic.

I really do think RE3 needs an update more than RE2 does.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Doesn't the novelization also suggest that Jill waited until the last minute to escape?

Sir Ilpalazzo
Sep 4, 2012

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

But RE5 gives the same value to each item. I never quick reloaded via the inventory because frankly that's unnecessary for standard play, and items are all of the same size and not only does that not make much sense, it can feel really annoying with small inventory stacks. I want to grab this herb but I can't fit it with my one gun and 8 stacks of ammo, and my co-op partner similarly cannot fit it with their 8 guns and one stack of ammo. In RE4, even with bigger attache cases, you're forced to make hard decisions that feel right about whether or not you toss out the excess grenades you have in exchange for this green herb because maybe you'll find a red or yellow herb later, or if you want to sell the shotgun so you can have a scope and stocks for your other weapons, etc. What upgrades to the attache case do is make you feel the progress you're making through the tangible size of your inventory.

RE5 in my eyes made no improvement to any mechanic seen in RE4, the inventory system is a step down and co-op felt horribly tacked on to me. It never felt organic or even really interesting at any point. 6 made an attempt at totally reworking how combat worked, and while it is infinitely more satisfying if you play it right, it does a piss poor job of teaching the player how to do that and the guns feel anemic as poo poo compared to how even starter pistols feel in 4 and 5. It isn't until Jake's chapter that you realise just how much more fun punching things is when you're stuck to a character whose whole gimmick is punching things.

Take note that I'm not someone who plays Mercenaries at all or tries to do daft challenge runs. I just play the game once on normal and call it quits. Exploits like quick reloading are about as much a plus to me as sticking a bucket on a guy's head in Skyrim so you can steal from them without being caught.

Well, as you say, RE5 doesn't need to make weapons take up more space like RE4 does but it doesn't need to given how limited your inventory space is - which you even address by saying you end up in situations where you can't just take every item you want because you're out of room! That's my point; RE4's attache case system is neat to toy around with but the restrictions it places on you are significantly less meaningful than RE5 simply giving you less space, which means 1) you have to make harder choices about what to take and what to leave than in 4 (your post reads like an endorsement of 5's system more than anything) and 2) you have to work with your partner and divvy up items between the two of you, an intricacy that didn't exist at all in 4.

RE5 makes lots of improvements to 4 on a basic mechanical level - the immediate positive changes are the new extra melee attacks, which speed up the pace of combat (the strategy of knifing fallen enemies in 4 is not particularly interesting, 5 speeds up the process of attacking downed enemies and even adds in a little bit of required precision with letting your grounded-melee attacks instakill enemies if they connect with their heads) and give you more options to attack stunned enemies with, impacting how you control crowds. The melee combos you can do on certain enemies are fun too - minor but they are a good way to integrate smart co-op play / teamwork into the melee system. Most enemies are more aggressive than RE4's (none of the RE4 ganados are as tricky as the tribal majini or as offensively or defensively powerful as the soldier majini), reapers are an excellent new enemy (they aren't anywhere near as cool as regenerators aesthetically, but they are more interesting otherwise with their moving weak spots and instant-kill grab), the giant clamshell plagas are a flat improvement on the head-biting ones from 4, and so on.

And as far as the implementation of co-op goes, I think the game does a good enough job of creating combat scenarios meant to be tackled by multiple players (lots of areas where you're attacked on multiple fronts, making it advantageous to split up enemies while the players continue to take care of themselves ammo- and health-wise), not to mention all the times you are either forcibly split up or are pressured to split up to resolve combat situations more efficiently. The game doesn't feel absolutely designed around co-op on a mechanical level (minus the inventory thing I've harped on enough - although it's hard to stress just how important that is to the identity of RE5, I can't think of any other co-op games that work in quite the same way) since the game's core is lifted from RE4, but the scenarios are designed in such a way that the co-op is still pretty integral to the game, it doesn't feel tacked on at all.

I guess I can see where you are coming from if you really haven't played any of the difficulties past Normal mode. The standard difficulty in RE5 is definitely a bit too forgiving (although Professional is a bit of a gimmick mode - Veteran is where it's at), but I don't think games like these can ever really be best appreciated on their lower difficulties, where your ability to interface with the game mechanics are often not tested. If you try Professional mode or play a fair bit of Mercenaries, you'd understand how important menu-reloading is (I hesitate to even call it an exploit, it seems pretty clearly intended given how long some of the melee animations are)

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Policenaut posted:

Doesn't the novelization also suggest that Jill waited until the last minute to escape?

Rereading the sample chapter on Amazon, the novelization has the RPD set up roadblocks outside town on the 25th to keep people in the city. The outbreak goes hot on the 28th.

It's a lot like the second live-action movie. Jill's trying to convince people what's really going on, but has no idea how bad it's about to get.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Good soup! posted:

"Don't you worry girlie! I'm keeping a close eye on things!" -proceeds to gaze at Claire as she steals all his 9mm ammo, while standing with his back next to giant single-glazed window-

loving moron didn't even put the shutters down over his windows. He soon locked that flimsy door though!

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

It's time for Resident Evil 7: Gold Edition.

Complete game, both Banned Volumes, new "End of Zoe" DLC, also Not a Hero is coming to Japan on December 14th.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I dont know why it stuck with me so much but RE6 blatantly introducing then brutally killing knockoff versions of the RE2 cast is so what the hell.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
For me it was mostly that Leon didn't seem to give even an iota of a poo poo about them. The same thing happened in the church. For a guy that dedicates his life to stopping zombies, he really doesn't seem to care about people.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
The church is the loving worst. Some people have done the sensible thing and holed up in a big stone building and kept the high speed fleshless zombies out somehow, and Leon and Helena show up and release a loving MASSIVE one into their sanctuary, all because Helena is a garbage person.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Good soup! posted:

Ultimate goon suffers from ultimate face blindness.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Fil5000 posted:

The church is the loving worst. Some people have done the sensible thing and holed up in a big stone building and kept the high speed fleshless zombies out somehow, and Leon and Helena show up and release a loving MASSIVE one into their sanctuary, all because Helena is a garbage person.

Then they all get nuked anyway.

Leons campaign is just a string of what the fuckery.

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

I kinda liked the whole political intrigue regarding the Raccoon City/Tall Oaks bombings in Leon's campaign. Shame that the focus pivoted more towards a single horny man with a mutagen by the end.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Barudak posted:

Then they all get nuked anyway.

Leons campaign is just a string of what the fuckery.
Wasn't the church solidly outside the town itself? I think realistically they might have come out of that pretty unscathed, assuming the nuke was dropped on the city itself - and a lack of cleanup death squads taking care of survivors.

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008
Leon's campaign is actually a lot of fun and I would say easily the best in the game, until he hits the church. Then it starts getting worse until the catacombs, where it just full on sucks. The city and university are a lot of fun though.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ic9qavgXDmY

Not a Hero in the West on December 12th.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
I want to meet the Japanese dude who's entire life for two years was dedicated to meticulously placing every cup, balloon, party favor and confetti piece in the opening banquet hall room of Leon's chapter.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Very surprised that re7 is getting its final paid dlc and the free one.

Zero confidence in its quality.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Fil5000 posted:

she's second only to the old lady in dead rising one who lets all of the zombies into the mall because her poodle is locked in with them

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I still cant believe the catacomb boss and sister to Helena just stays dead in Re6. Like that was the single most surprising plot development.

rabidsquid posted:

she's second only to the old lady in dead rising one who lets all of the zombies into the mall because her poodle is locked in with them

I felt like it worked in Dead Rising because it was a deeply stupid game with a veneer of grimness so of course thats how Zombies get in the mall.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

rabidsquid posted:

Its just a homage to the idiot in the Dawn of the Dead remake who lets all the zombies in the mall because she is worried about her dog.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yeah DR is almost completely black comedy, RE at least likes to keep its veneer of seriousness.

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

I liked Helena, her poor decision making regarding her sister/national security felt believable. :shobon:

Bloodcider
Jun 19, 2009

Barudak posted:

I still cant believe the catacomb boss and sister to Helena just stays dead in Re6. Like that was the single most surprising plot development.

I felt like it worked in Dead Rising because it was a deeply stupid game with a veneer of grimness so of course thats how Zombies get in the mall.

To be fair, they were already in the rest of the mall, the lady only let them break the barricade into that part of the plaza.

Dead Rising is really goofy but it's definitely not dumb like Resident Evil.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
helena betrayed the secret service, leading to the assassination of the president. she'll get hers.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

the hydra shotgun is cool and fun to use so helena is all right by me. its a shame the leon campaign sucks because it has the hydra and the wing shooters and all of the fun counters where you pull an axe out of a zombies head and kill it with it

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
though really, helena was right to never tell leon anything. if he had known she was leading him to those godawful catacombs and an excessively moist boss fight he probably would have noped right on out of there.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
Helena's guns are indeed cool, but her interactions with Leon and general idiocy are annoying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
I can't stand the triple barrel shotgun, Helena has a rad moveset with it but as a gun it feels underpowered and awkward.