Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

quote:

Server's back up!
Sure that IP is right? Says offline for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

Only registered members can see post attachments!

sincx fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Mar 23, 2021

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Yeah but I got a random connection lost issue for 30 seconds and now it happened again and disconnect me.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Ah ok. I missed that.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Yep still no access.

vvv yeah that was dumb

nielsm fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Sep 5, 2017

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

aww yeah that's the stuff

Bluecobra
Sep 11, 2001

The Future's So Bright I Gotta Wear Shades
Are there any improvements to cargodist/time tables? The last time I played, I spent hours loving around with timetables for a bus or tram system just to have it turn into a dumpster fire of bunching. I always end up going back to "cheating" by just extending a train station's radius. I really would like to make a realistic network of one major train station per city then passengers have to use bus/tram to get to their final destination.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Since we switched to symmetric distribution recently it's been pretty bad.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

So far I've seen three companies go bankrupt, and only one of them was mine. :)

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

sincx posted:

Aww I can't believe my trains are this cute went bankrupt. That was my favorite company name.

I bought it when offered, the tracks and stations alone were easily worth the 25k.

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.
I decided to run a company on dumb gimmicks, let's see how long it lasts.

"Let's connect these two remote cities on the worst terrain why not":

20 years later it's somehow working:

"Let's connect a bunch of completely isolated islands why not":

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Bluecobra posted:

Are there any improvements to cargodist/time tables? The last time I played, I spent hours loving around with timetables for a bus or tram system just to have it turn into a dumpster fire of bunching. I always end up going back to "cheating" by just extending a train station's radius. I really would like to make a realistic network of one major train station per city then passengers have to use bus/tram to get to their final destination.

This is exactly what I do and symmetric distribution does exactly this. I don't use timetables though because I'm not THAT big a sperg. My entire MO is to connect 3-4 cities by bus lines and ferry them all into a large train station that serves as a regional transfer hub. Passengers come in, change busses or hop a train from the regional transfer, and go from there. I further stimulate city growth by keeping like 3-4 stations in each city, with 1-2 busses serving as local transit only.

It all takes a fair bit of time to set up and it can be quite frustrating when cities don't use optimal road networks, but whatever it's fine. Symmetric passengers makes this network incredibly fun to watch and track.

The real reason people are failing in this new game is the map of Japan has zero industry set up at the start of the game so people can't do the dead simple coal/iron/whatever imperishable route to get reliable cash starting out. Symmetric distribution has nothing to do with it, it has everything to do with that passengers have high value rot and low individual value so early on they're hard. One company failed entirely because someone left a full load order on and it absolutely slaughtered the value of most of his passengers.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I replaced the wagons on 19 trains, and when I log in tomorrow I'm going to have to replace all track and all engines and probably all the wagons again. gently caress narrow gauge and gently caress whoever decided subpar tracks was a good idea.

Making 60k a trip on the coal trains I got after buying a coal plant and a coal mine. Got extremely lucky with where the mine randomly spawned too. :toot:

Coolguye posted:

One company failed entirely because someone left a full load order on and it absolutely slaughtered the value of most of his passengers.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Coolguye posted:

The real reason people are failing in this new game is the map of Japan has zero industry set up at the start of the game so people can't do the dead simple coal/iron/whatever imperishable route to get reliable cash starting out. Symmetric distribution has nothing to do with it, it has everything to do with that passengers have high value rot and low individual value so early on they're hard. One company failed entirely because someone left a full load order on and it absolutely slaughtered the value of most of his passengers.

Yep that was I can't believe my trains are this cute. When I saw the newspaper about the company being in trouble I looked at what routes etc. it had and saw the rail network seemed fine, but the train routing was set so it could never make money (because of full load orders), so I took the offer to buy it and instantly went to fix the orders. Now they're making a profit with no other changes. (Okay I did replace and extend the bus networks in two of the cities connected.)

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

You say there are no industries in Japan, but Stairmaster is single handedly running the coffin industry, stair's a job creator

Atown
Aug 10, 2011

Poil posted:

So far I've seen three companies go bankrupt, and only one of them was mine. :)

I have a bad feeling that my company is hemorrhaging money after the boats got deleted.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

sincx should go run for office in australia

he did, in fact, stop the boats

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

I can't wait for actual skyscrapers to be built

Atown
Aug 10, 2011
Someone (or multiple people) keep trying to connect to the server and the game keeps pausing. It's super annoying, idk it there's anything that can be done about it...

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

How do you get rid of unpowered trains that are blocking the tracks? I can't move them in any way, I can't crash other trains into them, I can't replace the pieces of track under them to power them again. :negative:

edit

I just had to build some shinkansen train and smash them into the old ones.

Poil fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Sep 6, 2017

Bluecobra
Sep 11, 2001

The Future's So Bright I Gotta Wear Shades

Coolguye posted:

This is exactly what I do and symmetric distribution does exactly this. I don't use timetables though because I'm not THAT big a sperg. My entire MO is to connect 3-4 cities by bus lines and ferry them all into a large train station that serves as a regional transfer hub. Passengers come in, change busses or hop a train from the regional transfer, and go from there. I further stimulate city growth by keeping like 3-4 stations in each city, with 1-2 busses serving as local transit only.

It all takes a fair bit of time to set up and it can be quite frustrating when cities don't use optimal road networks, but whatever it's fine. Symmetric passengers makes this network incredibly fun to watch and track.

What year/vehicle set are you using? The problem I had in the past is that if there aren't enough vehicles coming and going or if there are too many passengers waiting, the station rating goes super low. I tend to start a game in 1950 with the default set and link two cities by rail (1k-2k population). Each city has 4-5 bus stations. I even go as far as to have one clockwise bus line and one counter-clockwise line but it eventually turns into a clusterfuck of too many vehicles.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I have thousands of people waiting at every goddamn station and bus stop and it doesn't matter how many trains or buses I throw at it. It never goes down. Each train can carry 1000 people but that doesn't seem to matter at all. Also I want to have faster trains already, but it's such a pain to upgrade tracks. Life is hard. All I wanted was a ton of trains and a money bin big enough to let me swim in my massive wealth.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Upgrading track is hard when high-speed rail doesn't allow level crossings, have to reconstruct large amounts of road network when passing through a city.
Maglev is also quickly looking like a better deal than conventional high-speed rail (Shinkansen).

E: I have 9000 passengers wanting to go from the airport to the city, and my feeder line can't load/unload fast enough to serve them.

Yes, it's over nine thousand.

nielsm fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Sep 6, 2017

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

upgrading track as a whole is an absolutely soul-rending experience because you need to re-create every train from scratch. when i'm playing locally i always use the universal track newGRF because i seriously cannot be bothered to do that crap.

Atown
Aug 10, 2011
I can't figure out the local transportation. When I start running more than 1 or 2 vehicles on a streetcar line, then they end up losing lots of money. Even though most stops have people waiting (sometimes hundreds or thousands).

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

you can do the same thing with road vehicles and drive-through stations. i prefer drive-through stations for exactly this reason, you can functionally extend them as long as you please and use them similarly to train stations. the same RoRo thought process functions. you can do the same thing with trams, but most vehicle sets i've seen don't make trams faster or bigger than segmented busses/trucks enough to make the extra infrastructure and trouble worthwhile.

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.
No more boats to connect an oil route? No clear path for a train? No problem:

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Toyland I will sit the gently caress out. That map hurts my head. Beyond that I don't much care what the next one is though, I wanted to play more on this one but I never had the time to sit down and do stuff.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Sep 7, 2017

Atown
Aug 10, 2011

sincx posted:

edit: let me know when you guys are ready for a reset. I'm thinking of letting it run until 2050 and then resetting fairly soon after that. What do you guys want for the next map? (Mars? Toyland [lol]?)

Nice job on the trains. Japan was fun.

I got kinda burned out on my bad rails in the current game. I'm looking forward to trying again in the next game. Haven't played mars or toyland, so whatever you're up for.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Please no toyland, it hurts the eyes and brain.

sincx posted:

Ladies and gentlemen, I present to you, the Tokaido Shinkansen. It follows the general route of the real one and stops at many of the same cities!

That's pretty cool. Amazing how you could navigate past all other companies and cranky cities.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

I still just want a regular temperate map please. 1024x2048 or so.

I only made this tiny little high-speed route (marked with white):

While the map is cool I still think it's too big, and it had become really laggy to play last night.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja
I have no other strong opinions about the map, but I'd like there to be industries around this time. The industry supply chains give maps these natural objectives I find enjoyable to fulfill.