Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
Yes, we are aware that 'ufflepuff 'as no Bamsticks, because they are presently all in our possession. We did win that last game on the strength of our Beaters, after all.

CCKeane posted:

Now THIS is interesting, because we received an owl that read "Slytherin have all the beaters"

Now this is interesting. Who would 'ave told you that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

The Lord of Hats posted:

Yes, we are aware that 'ufflepuff 'as no Bamsticks, because they are presently all in our possession. We did win that last game on the strength of our Beaters, after all.

That I don't know.

It seems obvious from where I am sitting that somebody is looking to stir up trouble.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

It would also make sense that Slytherin would go for anything to get them better at Quidditch as we have been trouncing them. If it quacks like a duck...

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Too bad Gryffindor isn't able to stand tall to their "proud" legacy and are instead a bunch of weasels.

MinutePirateBug
Mar 4, 2013

Quidthulhu posted:

It would also make sense that Slytherin would go for anything to get them better at Quidditch as we have been trouncing them. If it quacks like a duck...

Reasonable. I would still like to see that owl message that Gryffindor received. The implication of this I take it is that Ravenclaw decided to inform Gryffindor of Slytherin's beater purchases for some reason...

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

MinutePirateBug posted:

Reasonable. I would still like to see that owl message that Gryffindor received. The implication of this I take it is that Ravenclaw decided to inform Gryffindor of Slytherin's beater purchases for some reason...

Headmaster, what is your ruling here?

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

MinutePirateBug posted:

Why would any of us bother spending gold on that?

Chances are it was Gryffindor's professor.

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

The Ninth Layer posted:

Why would any of us bother spending gold on that?

Chances are it was Gryffindor's professor.

How would our professor know? I've seen no professors on the people list in our house room. Only the headmaster.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

They can go to hogsmeade as a free action. They can talk to other professors. That's just two ways I can think of how they would know, it's not too hard for me to imagine more.

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie

CCKeane posted:

Headmaster, what is your ruling here?

You cannot quote private communications or paste images thereof. Stuff that is in public channels is fine.

MinutePirateBug
Mar 4, 2013

The Ninth Layer posted:

They can go to hogsmeade as a free action. They can talk to other professors. That's just two ways I can think of how they would know, it's not too hard for me to imagine more.

Why would their Professor send them an owl in secret and not simply announce it to them in public?

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

The Ninth Layer posted:

Neither going to hogsmeade nor talking to other professors let you know which house bought a thing or how many. If you are supposing they have other powers we don't know about I would call that plausible but unlikely.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

MinutePirateBug posted:

Why would their Professor send them an owl in secret and not simply announce it to them in public?

Why would your professor want to give you information about other houses in secret...? To help you win duh.

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie
I'm going to extend the deadline by a day.
So new deadline is in 47hrs from now

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Grandicap posted:

Neither going to hogsmeade nor talking to other professors let you know which house bought a thing or how many. If you are supposing they have other powers we don't know about I would call that plausible but unlikely.

Either way none of us sent any messages yesterday.

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

It could have been an unhappy Slytherin? I don't know, all I do know is that Keane claimed to receive an owl with a message that has turned out to be true.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

Grandicap posted:

It could have been an unhappy Slytherin? I don't know, all I do know is that Keane claimed to receive an owl with a message that has turned out to be true.

I don't believe the message was confirmed to be true?

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

The Lord of Hats posted:

Ah, I see.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Mordiceius posted:

Too bad Gryffindor isn't able to stand tall to their "proud" legacy and are instead a bunch of weasels.

Mord, that's a bit unwarranted, don't you think? Our 'ouse 'as a reputation that we're specifically trying not to live up to. 'Istory 'as shown us that 'aving a deep angry rivalry between Slytherin and Gryffindor didn't work out too well, after all. We should be friendly!

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

The Lord of Hats posted:

Mord, that's a bit unwarranted, don't you think? Our 'ouse 'as a reputation that we're specifically trying not to live up to. 'Istory 'as shown us that 'aving a deep angry rivalry between Slytherin and Gryffindor didn't work out too well, after all. We should be friendly!

The majority of my interactions with members of the Slytherin house have ranged from friendly to congenial, I wouldn't worry about this.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

An ever-honest pacifist with no mind for tricks.

CCKeane posted:

The majority of my interactions with members of the Slytherin house have ranged from friendly to congenial, I wouldn't worry about this.

For what it's worth I feel largely the same about Gryffindor!

Quidthulhu posted:

It would also make sense that Slytherin would go for anything to get them better at Quidditch as we have been trouncing them.

I'm genuinely happy and relieved that you understand where we are coming from :)

peramene
Oct 13, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
does anyone wanna cheat on exams

VivaNova
Sep 12, 2009

The most epic adventure ever undertaken

peramene posted:

does anyone wanna cheat on exams
My detention hand twitches.

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

peramene posted:

does anyone

Yes

peramene posted:

wanna cheat on exams

Oh, hm. Interesting.

VivaNova posted:

My detention hand twitches.

Hmmmmmmmm

peramene
Oct 13, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
shhhh

does anyone wanna pants a professor without getting detention??

sshhhhhh

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

peramene posted:

shhhh

sshhhhhh

I believe in this context it would be called disrobing.

VivaNova
Sep 12, 2009

peramene posted:

shhhh

sshhhhhh
Professor Novis looked up from her desk distractedly and glaced about the room. "Eh? Did someone say something? Speak up if you have a question about your assignment" The students remained silent, so she went back to reading the thick tome before her. It was a magical transcription of this thread:

Radio! posted:

There's actually a read-along Methods of Rationality thread in the Book Barn, if you're interested. Fair notice: it's a hate-read.
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3702281
Professor Novis could feel her sanity slowly wither away.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

DuckHuntDog posted:

Yeah, we did leave you guys hanging because of our mistake, but we also lost a bit on it as well. I would be mad too, but we didn't gain anything by it and nobody is going to trust us in the future because of it.

I'm just frustrated because we wanted to work together with you guys already, had been planning on doing it before you reached out, and then during the negotiations we felt you guys weren't really that interested in committing to a number our two houses could match.

Look, if you guys made a mistake, then things like that happen. Maybe you can make it up to us later.

AnAnonymousIdiot
Sep 14, 2013

Well, since we have a little more time, I think a quick extra credit assignment would be appropriate.

Your extra credit assignment will be to identify the script at the bottom of the post. The first person to correctly identify it will receive points for their house.

Radio!
Mar 15, 2008

Look at that post.

Oh! Oh! Pick me! It's the Voynich manuscript!

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

AnAnonymousIdiot posted:

Well, since we have a little more time, I think a quick extra credit assignment would be appropriate.

Your extra credit assignment will be to identify the script at the bottom of the post. The first person to correctly identify it will receive points for their house.

Tengwar in the Sindarin mode but everything is transposed?

AnAnonymousIdiot
Sep 14, 2013

Radio! posted:

Well... I was honestly expecting this to take longer, but yes! That is correct.

##AwardRavenclaw

VivaNova
Sep 12, 2009

Radio! posted:

Well done, Radio! Your cryptographic prowess is really shining through.

##Approve Mudd

VivaNova fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Sep 5, 2017

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

##Approve Mudd

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
##approve Mudd

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie
20 points has been awarded to Ravenclaw!

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

AnAnonymousIdiot posted:

Somebody else got it already, (great get, Radio!) but I thought the class might also enjoy some shots from another arcane manuscript that I found in a dusty bookstore some years ago, as folks who enjoy one tend to enjoy the other:

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

Books are dumb!

VivaNova
Sep 12, 2009

A Potion for Potter

Quiet reigned in most of Hogwarts, but down in the potions dungeon, Professor Novis created quite the racket as she magically flung cabinets open in search of dusty bottles and allowed the ones she was uninterested in to smash on the floor. This created a situation where some of the First Year's shoes became stuck to the floor with a bubbling, purple ooze, but Novis seemed not to notice. Finally she chose five bottles and excitedly began to lecture.

"Consider yourselves fortunate you attended my class today. For our subject is one of the simplest, yet most useful potions to master. It combines not only a knowledge of potion making, but a bit of herbology and one other subject. You'll recall from One Thousand Magical Herbs and Fungi that all herbs have certain properties and even the most common of them may yield a fantastic potion if combined in just the right amounts."

The professor waved her hand to indicate the five large, dark bottles on her desk. Their aged and scribbled labels could just be perceived: Allimus, Carei, Hyssopi, Pastinacae and Hordei.

"Take these five ingredients. Nothing fancy here, even my dear muggle Grandfather, the famous Nicholas Culpeper, would have known of their properties. Yet these five mundane substances will produce a potion that will revitalize and enhance any person's natural abilities. Just one simple fact about the individual we are brewing the potion for will provide the key to revealing the exact amounts of each! Now, students, select a person to use as an example".

Keane blurted out the first person he could think of, "Harry Potter!"

"Potter, Potter.... the guy who defeated some dark lord a few years back? Or wait, is he the guy from Coldplay? Blast, I can't quite recall at the moment, but no matter, he will serve perfectly fine for this experiment. Now, get busy and the student who first supplies me with the correct potion will be rewarded!"

Professor Novis exited the dungeon with an expert cape flare.

"Uhh..did she finish giving us instructions?" Barius asked. Darta shrugged and continued fixing her eyeliner. Mulberry was already scribbling down ideas for her potion. No one was exactly sure if Novis had simply forgotten to finish her lesson or if she had high expectations of the students.

~~~
The first person to tell me how much of each ingredient (in cups) to use in the Potter potion will receive 20 points. Points will remain on the table until the puzzle is solved. Only the first submission from each student will be considered.

~This assignment might prove difficult, so I'm offering hints. Send me the standard 2G fee and an owl with an unambiguous yes or no question about the assignment and I'll answer you in the thread.~

VivaNova fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Sep 6, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnAnonymousIdiot
Sep 14, 2013

I may as well throw my hat in the exams.

quote:

A private guess was here. Pay no attention.

AnAnonymousIdiot fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Sep 6, 2017

• Locked thread