Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

so we never found out what bad cop did?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

Doesn't it seem like everyone who encounters Judy "loses their head"? From the two kids in new york, to maybe even Briggs being decapitated? And the Woodsman, which seem to be agents of Judy maybe, pop their victims heads.

Then again it is known that Lynch likes head trauma as a go-to.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

Krinkle posted:

so we never found out what bad cop did?

Wasn't he working with the drug dealers, giving them tips about what the police knew? It was the magic man's guys he was talking to IIRC.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
The thing that bugs me about the idea of Judy yanking Laura away from Cooper is that we also get the scene of Judy (in the form of Sarah) trying to "destroy Laura" by mauling her picture and failing.

It seems weird to reconcile that, which seems to suggest Cooper is doing something right, with how the show then ends.

Modrasone
Jul 27, 2008

HE WANTS THIS AND SO SHOULD YOU!

Art Alexakis posted:

As I've thought about it and refined my own thoughts about the ending, what I think is nice is that it reaffirms Laura's role in her story. Personally, I'm okay with Twin Peaks being done, but how humbling would it be to see a story where Laura saves Coop in some sense.

I kind of wanted that out of this season. Ouroboros stuff. Instead I got a snake eating my balls in those last few moments and then chewing, really deeply chewing. Gulping occasionally. Masticating. Strangely, in the entire time this snake has been enjoying my balls I've not once thought about my balls or what I'm going to do with them in the future. Is it future or is it past? As far as my balls are concerned that's not even a question as holy poo poo that snake owns them now with that scream and that line and the power going out and all of that poo poo. My balls are in the Black Lodge and I'm guess I just have to accept that and move on.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Modrasone posted:

I kind of wanted that out of this season. Ouroboros stuff. Instead I got a snake eating my balls in those last few moments and then chewing, really deeply chewing. Gulping occasionally. Masticating. Strangely, in the entire time this snake has been enjoying my balls I've not once thought about my balls or what I'm going to do with them in the future. Is it future or is it past? As far as my balls are concerned that's not even a question as holy poo poo that snake owns them now with that scream and that line and the power going out and all of that poo poo. My balls are in the Black Lodge and I'm guess I just have to accept that and move on.

i hope one punch man punches your balls to hell

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I think that, truly, my biggest issue with the season was them not using Ray Wise as the new actor for BOB.

I wonder if we would have gotten that dumbass bowling ball fight it Silva was still alive/someone else was playing BOB.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The BOB orb (borb) is definitely a result of Silva being dead- Frank Silva was BOB, and casting someone else as him would feel pretty wrong no matter who it was imo. So the only alternative is vaguely goofy/vaguely frightening otherworldly bullshit, and David Lynch is always happy to oblige on that front.

Modrasone
Jul 27, 2008

HE WANTS THIS AND SO SHOULD YOU!
I had the idea after after the first two episodes that we'd see "the Evolution of BOB" at some point and that'd be a big scary moment for later on in the series.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
has anyone seen any ending theories that account for how cooper ends up in the red room at the beginning of 18, why he's wearing the pin there (and wasn't in the woods with Laura right before), and the repeated but different dialogue?

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

wizard on a water slide posted:

The thing that bugs me about the idea of Judy yanking Laura away from Cooper is that we also get the scene of Judy (in the form of Sarah) trying to "destroy Laura" by mauling her picture and failing.

It seems weird to reconcile that, which seems to suggest Cooper is doing something right, with how the show then ends.

Judy lives in Sarah Palmer, arguably the character in the film who has been through the most unrelenting hell and misery, and all connected to her daughter. Leland/BOB's abuse to Laura and drugging of Sarah (which she was aware of) and having both of them die in the end. One has to imagine that within Sarah Palmer is an ocean of pain and sorrow, which is likely what sustains Judy and (judging by season 3) allows her to ultimately overtake Sarah Palmer's own sense of ego.

When Dale interferes and saves Laura, he really does achieve a victory over Judy. That's why we see Sarah Palmer/Judy flipping the gently caress out and trying to kill the image of Laura as a teenager. That's why Judy yanks Laura from Dale and puts her somewhere else - which pointedly happens right after the terrifying scene with Sarah Palmer/Judy.

So I think Cooper *is* doing something right by trying to save Laura, but I'm unsure if he completely understands the ramifications of what he did - the full consequences of changing such a hugely significant moment.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
https://i.imgur.com/jdeNDRh.gifv

moist turtleneck fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Sep 6, 2017

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

The Walrus posted:

has anyone seen any ending theories that account for how cooper ends up in the red room at the beginning of 18, why he's wearing the pin there (and wasn't in the woods with Laura right before), and the repeated but different dialogue?

I don't know, but I can tell you he has NO pin on when he is talking to The Fireman at the beginning of Episode 1, which was also filmed in B&W like the scenes from the past.

edit: lolll

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Holy smokes

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

holy poo poo

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Also, why would Cooper ever take Diane with him on such an important and dangerous mission? Seems out of character. Unless he had a reason to do so. I haven't seen a theory that actually addresses *all* the weirdness at the ending. I think a lot of people are making the mistake that it's a direct narrative continuation from laura being rescued/disappearing/the red room/dale emerging in glastonbury grove and meeting Diane, which lures the viewer into thinking it's a simple trope of 'changed the past, created a new future'

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

The Walrus posted:

Also, why would Cooper ever take Diane with him on such an important and dangerous mission? Seems out of character. Unless he had a reason to do so. I haven't seen a theory that actually addresses *all* the weirdness at the ending. I think a lot of people are making the mistake that it's a direct narrative continuation from laura being rescued/disappearing/the red room/dale emerging in glastonbury grove and meeting Diane

I've been feeling the same way. There were multiple things going on there, and as far as I can the Cooper staring at the camera vanishes as he and Diane (still in the pink bathrobe) and Gordon approach the door.

I'm starting to wonder about the reality and veracity of EVERYTHING that happens after Cooper goes through that door.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Okay, this owns hahahahaha :allears:

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I wonder what the real FBI thinks of the meme that the FBI is staffed with wizards who investigate transdimensional murder sprees and parallel universes

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

You loving rule.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

I'm wondering if the Richard and Linda we knew about previously were something other than a red herring. The best I can come up with is that the Richard at the end is real Cooper's son, but this makes no sense at all.

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
The only bad thing about The Return is not enough Ray Wise, but that goes for any movie/tv show ever made

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

laffo and a half-o

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Art.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
I hosed up and left a bad frame in there but I fixed it in my post

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
just take the praise, moist turtleneck. you did good, kid.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

lmao

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Why is everyone laughing at that gif, isn't it just the exact clip from the show?

loving incredible

cjg
Sep 5, 2003

I love moist turtleneck gifs.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

eSporks posted:

I'm wondering if the Richard and Linda we knew about previously were something other than a red herring. The best I can come up with is that the Richard at the end is real Cooper's son, but this makes no sense at all.

I assume it's intended to be a similar case to MIKE and BOB and the Twin Peaks residents Mike and Bobby. Just without the handwave from the characters that makes you go "oh" as with those guys in episode 4-ish of the original show.

Trabandiumium
Feb 20, 2010

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I liked really competent Coop, the guy we really got again in episode 16. Then he was sort of there in episode 17, and by 18 he's replaced again by scared and confused Coop. Sigh.

I don't know what to think about this finale. It makes me feel depressed.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.

kaworu posted:

I'm starting to wonder about the reality and veracity of EVERYTHING that happens after Cooper goes through that door.

Why draw the line at the door? The entire scene at the sheriff's station was very unreal, and Cooper's eyes superimposed over it only underscored that fact. Also, if the last scene at the Roadhouse pretty clearly implies that everything at the Roadhouse was all in Audrey's head...except the stuff that definitely wasn't, like the fight James and Freddie got into. Even within the wide and fuzzy boundaries of what "really happened" in a Twin Peaks story, S3 really blew open the idea of anything having objectively happened at any point in the story. Episode 18 was a giant [citation needed] after the whole enchilada.

I have some mixed feeling about it, but I love that I have mixed feelings (if that makes sense). Before it aired and before I knew anything about it I said "I hope this pisses me off and then I love it, just like FWWM" and that seems to be exactly what's happening.

crowoutofcontext
Nov 12, 2006

Everything seems off about Cooper's mannerisms after he drives through the desert highway into the night road world. He commands startlingly and unemotionally for Diane to turn off the lights and take off her clothes and his expressions are obviously off-kilter for that scene. He doesn't ask for Coffee and barely acknowledges the waitress at Judy's. He's uninterested in Carrie Pages life situation. I think any reading of the ending has to take the fact that Cooper's trademark empathy and willingness to listen, exchange genuine pleasantries and ask questions is obviously missing in bizzaro world.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Hey what if the reason Coop walks out of a different hotel is because they were showing that he's been GroundhogDaying it up and keeps loving up universes and that's why he's acting differently because he's had enough of this poo poo

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Data Graham posted:

I wonder what the real FBI thinks of the meme that the FBI is staffed with wizards who investigate transdimensional murder sprees and parallel universes

They probably think it's funny because those divisions use acronyms, not cool code names.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Just an interesting observation...

The whole sequence with Cooper and Carrie up until the end is an awful lot like Hitchcock's Vertigo.

In Vertigo, a detective (Scotty Ferguson - played by James Stewart) fails to protect a woman (Madeline Elster) from suicide after believing she's posessed by the spirit of a long-dead woman (Carlotta Valdes). Some time later, the detective sees a woman that looks somewhat like Madeline, but it's someone else. It's revealed early on that she WAS Madeline, but only posing as her to assist with a murder plot. Scotty becomes obsessed with bringing Madeline back from the dead. When he does - at least visually through makeup, hair, and clothing, he realizes that they're the same woman because of a necklace. He forces her to retrace their steps of the night "Madeline" died. By mistake, the woman falls to her very real death after a piercing scream.

Oh, the real name of the woman is Judy.

Egbert Souse fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Sep 6, 2017

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

A thought: If Odessa is the home to the world's largest jackrabbit, doesn't that then technically make Odessa Jackrabbit's Palace? AKA the White Lodge? So the reality Coop slipped Laura into when she turned into Carrie was supposed to be heaven but something went wrong.

Aergo
Feb 1, 2009

Egbert Souse posted:

Just an interesting observation...

The whole sequence with Cooper and Carrie up until the end is an awful lot like Hitchcock's Vertigo.

In Vertigo, a detective (Scotty Ferguson - played by James Stewart) fails to protect a woman (Madeline Elster) from suicide after believing she's posessed by the spirit of a long-dead woman (Carlotta Valdes). Some time later, the detective sees a woman that looks somewhat like Madeline, but it's someone else. It's revealed early on that she WAS Madeline, but only posing as her to assist with a murder plot. Scotty becomes obsessed with bringing Madeline back from the dead. When he does - at least visually through makeup, hair, and clothing, he realizes that they're the same woman because of a necklace. He forces her to retrace their steps of the night "Madeline" died. By mistake, the woman falls to her very real death after a piercing scream.

Oh, the real name of the woman is Judy.

Well, that has to be where the name Madeline Ferguson comes from! I didn't know that reference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trousers!
Sep 28, 2001
"Ummm, I don't think sushi is Japanese. It was invented in California." - Villainy, in the 'Why are so many anime fans so goddamn fucking retarded.' thread.
This show seems obsessed with duality.

Dougie-Coop walks around completely oblivious and has good things happen to him and others. Surrounds himself with good people. Brings out the hearts of gold in wicked men.
Booper surrounds himself with evil men, brings out the worst in people. No matter how over-confident he is or how imposing and self assure, every plan he has fails in cartoonish ways. Assassination attempts, Ray and Lucy both get the drop on him and shoot him while he misses his shots.

Dougie-Coop has the Mitchum Brothers. Booper has the Dumbassassins.
Dougie-Coop has the 3 Vegas girls. Booper has the 3 trash hobos.