Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

juliuspringle
Jul 7, 2007

I just learned I have access to a copy of Gat Out Of Hell on Steam. Anything specific to it I should know? I assume most of the advice from Saints Row 4 still applies. Particular things of interest would be how to listen music and how to make a poo poo ton of money because in 4 I can just use telekinesis to grab people and steal money which I'm not thinking is in GOH since that was dlc for 4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

juliuspringle posted:

I just learned I have access to a copy of Gat Out Of Hell on Steam. Anything specific to it I should know? I assume most of the advice from Saints Row 4 still applies. Particular things of interest would be how to listen music and how to make a poo poo ton of money because in 4 I can just use telekinesis to grab people and steal money which I'm not thinking is in GOH since that was dlc for 4.

It's basically the same powers and map dressed up differently. The storyline is fairly short so most of your time is spent doing side stuff as usual. You shouldn't have any problems with anything if you're just doing the next piece of content near you all the time.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

A few questions about Xenonauts - is this a meatgrinder xcom or a "if high-xp soldiers die you've already lost" xcom?

How useful are the first car & armor? I've researched laser, but manufacturing is a bit cramped since I'm building new planes for the second base. Are laser weapons a game-changer?

How do I prepare for the first terror mission in terms of equip load?

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

double nine posted:

A few questions about Xenonauts - is this a meatgrinder xcom or a "if high-xp soldiers die you've already lost" xcom?

How useful are the first car & armor? I've researched laser, but manufacturing is a bit cramped since I'm building new planes for the second base. Are laser weapons a game-changer?

Meat grinder, car is great, armour is better than original xcom but not as good as new xcom, laser is great, terror mission will gently caress you up

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Meat grinder, car is great, armour is better than original xcom but not as good as new xcom, laser is great, terror mission will gently caress you up

thanks, question on loadouts, are shotguns a trap? It feels to me that I'd be far better off dumping them and have everyone wield assault rifles.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

double nine posted:

thanks, question on loadouts, are shotguns a trap? It feels to me that I'd be far better off dumping them and have everyone wield assault rifles.

Give shotguns to your high reflex guys. Early game it makes breaching UFOs easier and obviously at close range you'll do serious damage.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

double nine posted:

Shotguns are good to have on one or maybe two guys on a mission, because the nature of most missions means that you'll eventually have to get up close and personal.

Also one thing to keep in mind about shotguns and later "carbines" (which are functionally just shotguns) is that the displayed hit chance is misleading. The percentage shown is the chance for an individual pellet to hit, and shotguns/carbines fire multiple pellets with each shot, so the chance that you'll do damage is way higher than it looks.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Looking at the entry in the Wiki for Rimworld, it repeatedly lists turrets as a good defense in a kill box. This is a bit of a misconception, as while they are good defenses, the quality of enemy that you face depends on the "wealth" of your base, and turrets are ridiculously expensive. So by building them you get some bonus defense but you also get people with rocket launchers and other horrifying weapons way earlier than you can reasonably handle.

It's far better to stick to making a perforated square that your colonists can hide behind with sandbags in the gaps, which will not spike your wealth and will allow you to stay at basic enemies for longer.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

I didn't see anything in the wiki, but is there anything for Massive Chalice?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Anything for Death Road to Canada? The ioS version if it matters.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

RatHat posted:

never recruit ???, or if you're forced to, get him swarmed and eaten on a run immediately, because he's a horror movie hitchhiker and kills your other party members as on-the-road events

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Aw, c'mon, that's a spoiler that everybody deserves the experience of happening once. Like Governor Emperor or Octodad.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Sep 4, 2017

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone

RatHat posted:

- Set your team's AI to "Fightin'" mode so they actually contribute in a fight. Otherwise they'll only attack if a zombie happens to wander into their path.

- Create a lot of custom characters with your own choice of traits and perks as they will go on to populate the recruit pool. Some game modes will even only draw from this pool.

- If a location takes place around night time, carry a flashlight on the character you're controlling. You don't have to have it equipped, just having in your inventory gives you some light source. If you give the flashlight to an AI controlled character, they tend to do stupid stuff like equipping it as their weapon and inevitably breaking it. You can also find or buy a better, unbreakable flashlight that can be used as a weapon.

- The game is not being facetious when they say throwing furniture is a valid strategy because it will let you knock down a row of zombies, often killing a few outright with multiple hits.

- Strength is pretty key as it affects attack rate and damage of melee, which will be your bread and butter attack mode for most of the game. An amount of Fitness is also important but I tend to prioritize Strength upgrades when I can.

- Shooting is a good alternative for characters with low Strength and Fitness or during Sieges, when you need to keep attacking even if fatigued.

- Maxed out Medical will let you heal even if you run out of medical supplies.

- Maxed out Mechanical will let you infinitely repair your car.

- A very good custom character that I always use for my buddy slot is one with Civilized and Surgeon. He'll be one upgrade away from maxing out Medical, will do a decent job at Mechanical, and will excel at social events. He can even use charm with traders to get free stat and skill upgrades. You basically get a lot of utility at the trade-off of combat effectiveness.

Afriscipio
Jun 3, 2013

double nine posted:

For the early game, you should think more SWAT than X-com. Your primary challenge is breaching UFOs. Shotguns give you better reaction shots when opening doors, which is the big danger in UFO assaults.

The car will definitely help early on, until the xenos get heavier weapons it can be quite tanky. The laser for the armored car is more like a rocket launcher and can carry you through some difficult spots.

Terror missions are really hard. Try to shoot down the terror UFOs before they land, or be prepared for pain.

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.
Can anyone give me a basic explanation for how Quickenings work in FFXII: Zodiac -- in particular what R2 is supposed to do? I get that if three party members have their bars full all three can cast quickenings to form a combo, but I don't see what "shuffling" with R2 does. Is there some way to press buttons so that I can do more than 3 hits?

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

A character that has spent their bars may get the option to do a "Mist Charge", which refills their bar (not sure if one or several). This enables you to cast their quickening again to keep the chain going. R2 simply reshuffles the options and may bring up a Mist Charge. Note that doing a Mist Charge also performs a reshuffle, possibly giving you another Mist Charge.

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.

My Lovely Horse posted:

A character that has spent their bars may get the option to do a "Mist Charge", which refills their bar (not sure if one or several). This enables you to cast their quickening again to keep the chain going. R2 simply reshuffles the options and may bring up a Mist Charge. Note that doing a Mist Charge also performs a reshuffle, possibly giving you another Mist Charge.

Thanks. If I ever knew that for original FFXII, I've long since forgotten it.

So do i just keep hammering R2, and what I'm looking for is a button icon to show up by a character name?

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

It'll say “Mist Charge“ in place of the quickening's name. Hit the button to charge, hit it again for the quickening. And you want to be careful pulling R2 cause you can lose a charge opportunity to the reshuffle.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
I just got Xcom 2 on PS4. I don't have any expansions yet. I have played through it a little but always end up doing bad once the higher level units show up. Any tips?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

I just got Xcom 2 on PS4. I don't have any expansions yet. I have played through it a little but always end up doing bad once the higher level units show up. Any tips?

The new Sectoids are going to be your bane early on, and what you need to focus on judiciously murdering first in most situations. They can zombify dead units (though they'll die when the Sectoid controlling them does), panic your guys, and have a nasty little wrist-mounted plasma gun.

Don't waste dead grunts on making nanoarmor vests. The regular grunt is surprisingly rare in the long-term, and the actual second-tier armor is a far better investment.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

The wiki page is pretty detailed, but could you specify what area of the game you are having issues with?

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back

DreamShipWrecked posted:

The wiki page is pretty detailed, but could you specify what area of the game you are having issues with?

I'll look at it. Really the biggest issue I have is the snake guys. They tear my guys up. I never played part 1.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

I'll look at it. Really the biggest issue I have is the snake guys. They tear my guys up. I never played part 1.

Flashbangs are huge for early alien enemies with special abilities, because they hit in a massive area, drastically reduce their aim, and disable their special abilities for one turn. So if you flash them as soon as you see them then you can safely kill them off without worrying about getting wrapped.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Speaking of XCOM, any tips for War of the Chosen?

I've beaten XCOM2 in the past but it's been a while -- I'm mostly looking for tips about base layout, since it looks like there's some new buildings and I don't want to gently caress myself with placement but if there's any other new poo poo to watch for, let me know

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.
Seems like the resistance comms building is largely useless now since you can gain contacts through both scanning sites and covert actions. But the Resistance Ring is absolutely essential, since they unlock aforementioned covert ops which lets you send soldiers can passive missions that do anything from recruiting the new classes to reducing avatar progress.

The AWC which used to be a priority build is now split into two buildings, the Training Center which lets your guys get additional abilities and is also used for the new Fire Emblem esque soldier bond system and should be built early, as well as the infirmary which heals soldiers faster but is also used to remove the negative traits soldiers gain from grave wounds Darkest Dungeon style.

Nomadic Scholar
Feb 6, 2013

What would be a good spoiler free primer for Prey 2017?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Nomadic Scholar posted:

Dump your upgrade kits into the Shotgun early on, it'll be your workhorse for most of the game.

The Gloo Gun can be used to make platforms up along walls. Get creative.

Dump upgrade kits into the Disruptor as well, it's useful for stunning just about everything you encounter.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Nomadic Scholar posted:

Don't bother with the body scavenging perk.

Shotgun is bae.

There are very few places the gloo gun can't get you. Be creative.

Afriscipio
Jun 3, 2013

Nomadic Scholar posted:

Just because you don't have a code doesn't mean you can't get into a room/safe. There's usually a way in. Think laterally, or vertically, or like a banana.

Enemies start out intimidating, but soon you can go toe-to-toe with them. It isn't always the best idea though.

Gloo is your friend. You can use it to get to places you didn't think possible, but the developers have accounted for this, so you won't break anything.

Stun works on almost every enemy, if it doesn't another weapon/power will.

GhostBoy
Aug 7, 2010

Ainsley McTree posted:

Speaking of XCOM, any tips for War of the Chosen?

I've beaten XCOM2 in the past but it's been a while -- I'm mostly looking for tips about base layout, since it looks like there's some new buildings and I don't want to gently caress myself with placement but if there's any other new poo poo to watch for, let me know

It seems they tweaked the AI, specifically the Sectoid AI, for the DLC. Before WotC, you could practically rely on sectoids wasting a turn raising a zombie, if there was a dead corpse anywhere close. They can still do that, but they are now more than happy to just shoot you in the face instead if you let them.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

GhostBoy posted:

It seems they tweaked the AI, specifically the Sectoid AI, for the DLC. Before WotC, you could practically rely on sectoids wasting a turn raising a zombie, if there was a dead corpse anywhere close. They can still do that, but they are now more than happy to just shoot you in the face instead if you let them.

Thank gently caress for that, because XCOM2 Sectoids were utter bastards to deal with in the early-game stretch along with Vipers.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Dump your upgrade kits into the Shotgun early on, it'll be your workhorse for most of the game.

The Gloo Gun can be used to make platforms up along walls. Get creative.

Dump upgrade kits into the Disruptor as well, it's useful for stunning just about everything you encounter.

I feel like I didn't find the shotgun until past what I'd call early on in the game, I'm still not sure where this early shotgun is so I'd recommend putting at least one upgrade into pistol firepower to help that along.

Okay, I looked it up, I know of the exact location mentioned for the earliest shotgun and I'm beginning to think I either somehow blew it up or it glitched and was never there, wtf. I didn't find one until near the end of the Psychotronics Division.

im cute
Sep 21, 2009

Nomadic Scholar posted:

In addition to what they said, abuse lean to take potshots with the silenced pistol early on. Not only does it do extra damage if you're undetected, but enemies will give up trying to find you surprisingly quickly.

If you come back to an area and the turrets you had set up are busted up, then there are new enemies around.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Brightman posted:

I feel like I didn't find the shotgun until past what I'd call early on in the game, I'm still not sure where this early shotgun is so I'd recommend putting at least one upgrade into pistol firepower to help that along.

Okay, I looked it up, I know of the exact location mentioned for the earliest shotgun and I'm beginning to think I either somehow blew it up or it glitched and was never there, wtf. I didn't find one until near the end of the Psychotronics Division.

It's right in the Lobby, where you'd expect firearms to be stored; in the Security Chief's office, right on her desk. I actually got it before the pistol.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It's right in the Lobby, where you'd expect firearms to be stored; in the Security Chief's office, right on her desk. I actually got it before the pistol.

I didn't find the key card for that room until recently, it's actually supposedly available sooner next to a corpse the one right when you enter the lobby in fact.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
whoa i spent like ten minutes looking for that. is this a fallout-style problem where it might spawn under the ground or something, or am i just a blind jackass?

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Brightman posted:

I didn't find the key card for that room until recently, it's actually supposedly available sooner next to a corpse the one right when you enter the lobby in fact.

There is an airduct you can climb through that gets you into the security office. Stop thinking about keycard. Assume there isn't one.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Brightman posted:

you can airvent your way into that office, or crossbow your way in.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

There is an airduct you can climb through that gets you into the security office. Stop thinking about keycard. Assume there isn't one.

gently caress.

double nine posted:

you can airvent your way into that office, or crossbow your way in.

Double gently caress, but the crossbow is a bit later, granted not as late as when I found the shotgun so yeah, gently caress.

Also I think this whole thing serves as a good example of how open ended a lot of the game can be and a great tip is to think outside of the box more.

The White Dragon posted:

whoa i spent like ten minutes looking for that. is this a fallout-style problem where it might spawn under the ground or something, or am i just a blind jackass?

I'm not sure now, looking again I'm finding sources saying you can find it where I mentioned but also ones saying the first available one is in the Security Office...ah poo poo, it was only there in the demo, okay, my bad...and also like IGN's bad for not updating that and some random wikia.

Brightman fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Sep 7, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.
I just picked up Game Dev Story with some survey funbucks. I don't want to go to the wiki and get massive spoilars - I do want to figure out, for instance, the most effective game designs on my own - but I'll take more general advice on, for instance, when it's useful to use the higher-tier recruiting methods or whether it's better to hire generalists or specialists or if there's some massive dead-end that I'd otherwise only discover by falling into it.