Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Last part for tonight. Part 4: The Inventory

This was always meant to be the Big Story part of this whole ordeal when I planned it all out in my head. So by this time, it was mostly arranging furniture and utilities while waiting for the "inventory" to arrive. A few months in, everybody kept talking about the liquor shipment. I asked when it was going to arrive and offered to bring it in. I was told it was going to be a pick-up order.

So remember how I said the Financier And Nothing Else Don't You Dare Get Any Other Ideas had opened up a night club in a rural town after his original one got shut down? While his first club was always really busy until it got busted for underages (officially) and drug dealing (unofficially). So after not being allowed to open an establishment in a semi-rural Pennsylvania college town, he decided to set up a dance club in a Days Inn just outside of Williamsport. A dumb idea on its own, the club got shut down its first night by the Fire Marshal on its first night for inadequate fire prevention. Two years prior. It still had its opening night alcohol inventory sitting there.

Yes, that is precisely where I'm going with this.

So we got three cars, some blankets, and some milk crates. GM and chef took their own vehicles while I rode with the Cheerleader, who had to take her car to Tyrone (lovely Pennsylvania mountain town) to pick up another car before we could drive to Williamsport (bigger lovely PA mountain town). The Days Inn was way out of town and the nightclub's stock room was on the top floor. The hotel wouldn't let us use the elevator so the day consisted of sticking four gorilla racks stacked full of cheap liquor into milk crates then walking them down three flights of stairs, unloading the crates into the cars, then walking back up.

I didn't think of the legality of the situation until we left in a Ford Taurus whose trunk and back seat had easily a hundred bottles of booze packed into it. Don't worry though, got a blanket over the mountain of Porfidio in the back seat despite the stack being so high that there were bottles pressed against the rear windows. We almost ran out of gas at one point and were dreading the AAA call we would have had to make.

When we got back home, we had to bring all of the booze back up the steps to the night club, though this time we had help. The bar crew finally showed up for the first time and they were having a work session that was more like a party. A bunch of beefcake dudes ended up doing most of the lifting at that point. I was dehydrated, in a ton of muscle pain, and ready to eat the eyeballs out of the sockets of the next person to give me a pep speech that day. Bob was there and after giving him a few minor details about the day, offered me a joint and some beer if I told him the rest. I ended up meeting a bunch of nice people who would become co-workers at my next job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

odinson
Mar 17, 2009
Lets talk otc stimulants.

Any thoughts or experiences using caffeine pills vs energy drinks? Currently spending at least $50 a month on Monsters while supplementing with coffee. Amazon currently has a 24 pack for $30 which is $1.25/can where I normally pay $2/. That is a great deal, but more money could be saved.

I've read that the effects of the non-caffeine additives in various energy drinks are pretty minuscule, so I'm assuming just the pills would be way cheaper since I only drink the sugar free ones or the 10 cal Rehab teas. Before I go too far down the rabbit hole and start researching different home made concoctions of sports/energy drinks or ECA stacks I figured I'd ask here first.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

odinson posted:

Any thoughts or experiences using caffeine pills vs energy drinks? Currently spending at least $50 a month on Monsters while supplementing with coffee. Amazon currently has a 24 pack for $30 which is $1.25/can where I normally pay $2/. That is a great deal, but more money could be saved.

I've read that the effects of the non-caffeine additives in various energy drinks are pretty minuscule, so I'm assuming just the pills would be way cheaper since I only drink the sugar free ones or the 10 cal Rehab teas. Before I go too far down the rabbit hole and start researching different home made concoctions of sports/energy drinks or ECA stacks I figured I'd ask here first.

And we have a winner for dumbest post in the thread.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
Steal coffee from your job.

Other topic: I don't have a no fraternization policy because it's unenforceable, loving waitresses/hostesses who would never speak to you in real life is a boh perk, and it weakens your position as a manager to constantly tell people not to do something they will do anyways but I have a strict no drugs/drinking at work policy, and have backed it up by firing people on the spot and working their shift the rest of the night. Get hosed up on your own time and shoot heroin in your loving eyeballs if you want but Im not paying you to be stoned and useless.
one of my waitresses saw me on my day off the other night and went "OMG are you high? You look so stoned! I've never seen you like this before!" And I said "yeah I smoke weed daily but you've only ever seen me at work"

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Skwirl posted:

And we have a winner for dumbest post in the thread.

Seriously. Why isn't he doing coke like everyone else?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

pile of brown posted:

Steal coffee from your job.

Other topic: I don't have a no fraternization policy because it's unenforceable and weakens your position as a manager to constantly tell people not to do something they will do anyways but I have a strict no drugs/drinking at work policy, and have backed it up by firing people on the spot and working their shift the rest of the night. Get hosed up on your own time and shoot heroin in your loving eyeballs if you want but Im not paying you to be stoned and useless.
one of my waitresses saw me on my day off the other night and went "OMG are you high? You look so stoned! I've never seen you like this before!" And I said "yeah I smoke weed daily but you've only ever seen me at work"

Visine and trident thank you for their increased sales.

It's like my dad used to say, "The day I can't do my job drunk is the day I hand in my badge and gun." He wasn't a cop

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

By my hand, I will take you from this godforsaken internet

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Seriously. Why isn't he doing coke like everyone else?

seriously, anything weaker than Adderall is for filthy call center plebs

odinson
Mar 17, 2009
Thanks for all the replies. I've never heard of those prescription drugs, illegal drugs, and apparently this new thing called...caw-fee??

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

odinson posted:

Thanks for all the replies. I've never heard of those prescription drugs, illegal drugs, and apparently this new thing called...caw-fee??
It was a dumb as hell post. If you like Monster go ahead and drink Monster and by all means find the cheapest way to drink it, but don't come here looking for advise on the best cheap legal drugs because none of them are as cheap as free coffee and none of them are as good as the illegal poo poo.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

odinson posted:

I can speak to this, I was at the NIDA conference in...I think it was 2009. There's no good research on the effects of botanicals that metabolize into caffeine, such as guarana. Some of them can have individual difference metabolic effects-hit harder, faster, worse side effects, whatever. I recommend sticking to stuff that just uses and refers to caffeine, and using the big names. The more obscure the company, the greater the risk the energy drink/pill/whatever is contaminated in some way. Monster is fine, they're big. Pills, and especially gums and powders(which are hard to keep pure) are riskier for being hard to manage dosage. A caffeine OD does exist, but it's not fatal, just incredibly unpleasant barring pre-existing cardio conditions.

As others say, coffee is almost always a fine choice. Try to not mix caffeine with other substances, it can genuinely gently caress you that way. There's a reason FDA came down on caffeinated alcoholic drinks.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Sep 5, 2017

CHUCK WAS TAKEN
Aug 1, 2004
this kid has heart

Skwirl posted:

What're the hours of your restaurant and how much prep and shut down do you have to do? because I'm curious how a restaurant could have 17 hours straight of work for a person to do.

HAHAHAHA I mean I don't even know where to start, but if there were 72 hours in each day, that would still not be enough!

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Shooting Blanks posted:

I've never worked in a place that didn't have these rules, however they are incredibly difficult to enforce effectively. Getting high is a bigger problem in my mind - that just ups the chances of someone getting injured. Fraternization, if two employees can keep it to themselves then nobody will be the wiser. If they can't and it's a problem, just fire them both (especially if a manager is involved).

I always stuck with 'if you're high enough or drunk enough that I notice, you're fired'. It led to me working shifts for people I had to fire a couple times, but it was worth it for not having useless people in the kitchen. I know at least two of my other cooks were stoners, but they could handle their poo poo and so long as they never gave me a reason to notice, they were fine.

odinson posted:

That poo poo will give you kidney stones in long term quantity, so good loving luck with that. As someone who's been on nights for fifteen years now, drink more coffee and sleep.

odinson
Mar 17, 2009
I should've worded my original post better Skwirl. I now work in a smaller restaurant that doesn't get a lot of coffee orders and the other staff don't drink much of it at all. This is different compared to my old job where coffee was always available. After my initial "caffeine drinks vs. pills" search I started to delve deeper into homemade gatorade, nootropics, hippie juice blends, pre-workout drinks, etc. I figured I could eventually ask similar questions in a coffee, nootropics, or YLLS threads, but didn't know where to start and would try here first. Maybe a giant thermos of a (possibly cold brewed) batch of coffee will be fine for me. I've never really needed more than caffeine to really get through a workday and I've known plenty of coworkers who are the same.

odinson
Mar 17, 2009

Liquid Communism posted:

That poo poo will give you kidney stones in long term quantity, so good loving luck with that. As someone who's been on nights for fifteen years now, drink more coffee and sleep.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/535798-can-drinking-too-much-caffeine-affect-your-kidneys/

I try and keep it under 350mg/day. I unfortunately don't have a consistent schedule at my new job. Hopefully it'll even out and I can adjust with the basics.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Discendo Vox posted:

I can speak to this, I was at the NIDA conference in...I think it was 2009. There's no good research on the effects of botanicals that metabolize into caffeine, such as guarana. Some of them can have individual difference metabolic effects-hit harder, faster, worse side effects, whatever. I recommend sticking to stuff that just uses and refers to caffeine, and using the big names. The more obscure the company, the greater the risk the energy drink/pill/whatever is contaminated in some way. Monster is fine, they're big. Pills, and especially gums and powders(which are hard to keep pure) are riskier for being hard to manage dosage. A caffeine OD does exist, but it's not fatal, just incredibly unpleasant barring pre-existing cardio conditions.

As others say, coffee is almost always a fine choice. Try to not mix caffeine with other substances, it can genuinely gently caress you that way. There's a reason FDA came down on caffeinated alcoholic drinks.

As I understand it, the main reason they came down on caffeinated alcoholic drinks is because the caffeine can you keep you awake past the point where you'd normally pass out, which increases your risk of alcohol poisoning and death. Interactions with other substances aren't nearly as well documented.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Shooting Blanks posted:

As I understand it, the main reason they came down on caffeinated alcoholic drinks is because the caffeine can you keep you awake past the point where you'd normally pass out, which increases your risk of alcohol poisoning and death. Interactions with other substances aren't nearly as well documented.

I used to get thoroughly hosed up on vodka red bull in 2002. Like pints and pints of it every night. It was great.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
Plus the fact that one is a stimulant and the other a depressant. Not good on your system.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
when i said no fraternization i specifically meant managers. two hourly employees might be able to gently caress without it being a real problem, but as soon as anyone finds out someone is loving a manager it will become a problem even if there isn't any special treatment

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

when i said no fraternization i specifically meant managers. two hourly employees might be able to gently caress without it being a real problem, but as soon as anyone finds out someone is loving a manager it will become a problem even if there isn't any special treatment

What if I threesomed a manager and a hostess while a server filmed it and a cook acted as my stunt cock?

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Errant Gin Monks posted:

What if I threesomed a manager and a hostess while a server filmed it and a cook acted as my stunt cock?

Then, you know, YOU didn't threesome them, the stunt cock did, and you are in the clear. Said stunt cock, OTOH...

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Shooting Blanks posted:

The Maestro posted:

Plus the fact that one is a stimulant and the other a depressant. Not good on your system.

Yes, that's exactly right. Sorry, I should've distinguished more clearly between the caffeine/alcohol and other interactions. Some of them were also being marketed as "functional beverages" (not a legally recognized category), like a previous formulation of Rabbit Habbit, which was/is basically marketed as a date rape drug.

odinson posted:

I should've worded my original post better Skwirl. I now work in a smaller restaurant that doesn't get a lot of coffee orders and the other staff don't drink much of it at all. This is different compared to my old job where coffee was always available. After my initial "caffeine drinks vs. pills" search I started to delve deeper into homemade gatorade, nootropics, hippie juice blends, pre-workout drinks, etc. I figured I could eventually ask similar questions in a coffee, nootropics, or YLLS threads, but didn't know where to start and would try here first. Maybe a giant thermos of a (possibly cold brewed) batch of coffee will be fine for me. I've never really needed more than caffeine to really get through a workday and I've known plenty of coworkers who are the same.

Nootropics, at least as discussed by marketing and users, are generally a set containing several different categories of bullshit that can be hard to distinguish without a deep dive. A given nootropic product will a) do nothing, b) maybe do something but not what it says, c) gently caress up your internal organs due to sample contamination, d) contain something that has a similar effect to meth, but will be marketed to convince the user it's not, e) be meth marketed as meth, or f) some combination of the above. They're dietary supplements at best, but most of the time they're just plain 'ol illegal drugs, except sold with marketing that makes silicon valley types feel smart about taking them.

Coffee's fine. Energy drinks from any major company are fine. Caffiene pills from any major company are usually fine. The further afield you go, the more detailed technical knowledge you need to tell what does what, and the more you have to trust people operating in the fringes/outside of the law about the product. There's no need to over complicate this if you're looking to stay awake, and no need to look for caffeine if you want to get high.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
Just go to a doctor and get some ADHD meds. Better living through modern chemistry I always say!

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
I live in a university city, so when school is back we get noticeably busier.

The kitchen staff we hired over the summer was not ready for this weekend, and is probably not ready for the next 3 months. It was crash central.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

CHUCK WAS TAKEN posted:

HAHAHAHA I mean I don't even know where to start, but if there were 72 hours in each day, that would still not be enough!

I know there's always more stuff to do, but the restaurant has to be closed for a certain number of hours a day, doesn't it? I guess BOH there's always more prep.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
lol nothing like walking in to work 15 minutes early for your shift only to be told "hey we hosed up on seating so you're not gonna get your first table for an hour or so"

Dope.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
Holy poo poo the hits just keep on coming tonight. It's half price appy night and the day shift portioned all the pounds of wings at 12 ounces. What is happening.

Edit: update: they were portioned while frozen so they were portioned as 12 ounces frozen instead of 16 ounce thawed.

Mezzanon fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Sep 6, 2017

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Mezzanon posted:

lol nothing like walking in to work 15 minutes early for your shift only to be told "hey we hosed up on seating so you're not gonna get your first table for an hour or so"

Dope.

Mezzanon posted:

Holy poo poo the hits just keep on coming tonight. It's half price appy night and the day shift portioned all the pounds of wings at 12 ounces. What is happening.

Edit: update: they were portioned while frozen so they were portioned as 12 ounces frozen instead of 16 ounce thawed.

Will we need to do a safety check later on?

TheSnowySoviet
May 12, 2004

It never got weird enough for me.

Mezzanon posted:

12 ounces frozen instead of 16 ounce thawed.

What is this magic?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

TheSnowySoviet posted:

What is this magic?

I don't really understand how cooking chicken works, but if does throwing something into a deep fryer add weight? when in doubt use 4 ounces hot sauce?

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Mandatory meeting tomorrow at 9 o clock. The same meeting we have every year. Going over the same poo poo management says every meeting. Ugh.

gently caress. Tomorrow is gonna be a long day.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

TheSnowySoviet posted:

What is this magic?

water weighs 25 % more when it is frozen :hurr:

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Skwirl posted:

I don't really understand how cooking chicken works, but if does throwing something into a deep fryer add weight? when in doubt use 4 ounces hot sauce?

Our wings aren't fried or breaded. They're naked and baked, hence why this is such a problem.

mindphlux posted:

water weighs 25 % more when it is frozen :hurr:

When the prep guy grabs 5 wings that are frozen together you had better believe that the ice holding those wings together has an effect on the weight.

Mezzanon fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Sep 6, 2017

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Mezzanon posted:

Our wings aren't fried or breaded. They're naked and baked, hence why this is such a problem.

Half a cup of hot sauce then. Call it chicken wing soup.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Mezzanon posted:

When the prep guy grabs 5 wings that are frozen together you had better believe that the ice holding those wings together has an effect on the weight.

This should be your MOD's problem, not yours

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Shooting Blanks posted:

This should be your MOD's problem, not yours

It was, but I was the first person who noticed that "pounds" made up of 6 wings were going to tables and taking 28 minutes to get there as an appetizer.

Kitchen Manager on Duty: "gently caress" *starts re-weighing wings*

I mean I mostly just comped the not-actually-a-pound-wings since they took 30 minutes and then sent a quick note to the GM.

Mezzanon fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Sep 6, 2017

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Mezzanon posted:

It was, but I was the first person who noticed that "pounds" made up of 6 wings were going to tables and taking 28 minutes to get there as an appetizer.

Kitchen Manager on Duty: "gently caress" *starts re-weighing wings*

I mean I mostly just comped the not-actually-a-pound-wings since they took 30 minutes and then sent a quick note to the GM.

At least it was taken care of in the best way possible.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

A Man and his dog posted:

Mandatory meeting tomorrow at 9 o clock. The same meeting we have every year. Going over the same poo poo management says every meeting. Ugh.

gently caress. Tomorrow is gonna be a long day.

you're getting paid to sit down and zone out instead of running around. it's basically a bonus

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

you're getting paid to sit down and zone out instead of running around. it's basically a bonus

a bonus he clings on to, working at the same mediocre greasejoint year after year

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

"Here is how much your time is worth"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

"I'd pay you less, but legally I'm not allowed to."