Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010

Calaveron posted:

I mean I remember back when they announced Xenoblade Chronicles for Europe and I was excited just off the setting and premise alone but then
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S4eJ9uBdrSU
And I was like HOLY gently caress I GOTTA GET THIS GAME
Looking back this trailer is super loaded with spoilers and frontloads the tedious gem crafting aspect and presents Rikki in a very negative light but then he turns out to be the best heropon of them all
Hopefully the launch trailer for 2 is as insanely good as this and then the game itself is as insanely good as Xenoblade 1

Geez there's poo poo in that trailer that I didn't even see in the game and I put a few dozen hours in before burning out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

xenoblade chronicles fuckin kicks rear end

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Infinitum posted:

Where the gently caress do you live that you could buy a second brand new Switch launch week?

Like even in Australia you'd have been hard pressed to find one the first week.

Florida, in the path of imminent death.

I got the second one a week after launch when TRU announced a limited number the second weekend and I went to the store three hours before they opened. Then I went literally next door to the best buy I got my preorder switch from and returned it.

Nintendo didn't even recognize the error codes it was throwing. Four codes and not one of them even had the right number of loving digits to appear in their drat documentation. hosed.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
The switch pro controller feels really good to hold, I'm impressed.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Have they confirmed whether or not xenoblade 2 has British voices

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

they have accents though people don't like the VA as much in spite of that.

e: I wasn't that into xenoblade's plot or gameplay but I still got a decent number of hours out of it so I'm still interested in 2 to see how they move forward with world design and combat and stuff from the first game and X. I trust them with the former at this point but I'm not sure how the combat changes will work out. Conceptually some stuff is cool, but the way cooldowns and autoattacks are being handled looks like it could be clunky.

Motto fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Sep 6, 2017

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Zelder posted:

Have they confirmed whether or not xenoblade 2 has British voices

I think they did, and it does, and explicitly because the Xenoblade 1 dub was so well received while XBX was just eh

Motto posted:

I mean Shulk is pretty mediocre until he wails that I'LL KILL YOUUUU and then he's top notch
Everyone in XB1 was so good, I can't think of a single bad voice, not even Rikki because he sold the cute little critter that is intentionally hamming it up to look cuter aspect so well

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

That reyn line that occasionally procs asy the end of a random battle, the "good thing I'm here, right? Huh? No?" Is the best example of voice acting in any videogame ever

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
Xenoblade Chronicles was so good it created an unspoken social contract about the seventh party member and literally everyone referred to said party member as Seven to the point I actually thought that was their name until I got to that part

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

what a bunch of jokers

let's not lose our heads though

now it's reyn time

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Zelder posted:

That reyn line that occasionally procs asy the end of a random battle, the "good thing I'm here, right? Huh? No?" Is the best example of voice acting in any videogame ever

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uee7H7od4Kg

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Hell I'm gonna say it: reyn is the best "childhood best friend" rpg archetype of all time solely on the back of his VA work

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Zelder posted:

Hell I'm gonna say it: reyn is the best "childhood best friend" rpg archetype of all time solely on the back of his VA work

Also the fact that he starts the game being the archetype of oh man I will protect my weak nerd friend but halfway through he realizes holy poo poo my weak nerd friend is actually physically and emotionally superstrong and wields a sword capable of overwriting reality gently caress that I'm still going to protect him

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I wish that I liked the combat in these Xenoblades.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Calaveron posted:

I mean I remember back when they announced Xenoblade Chronicles for Europe and I was excited just off the setting and premise alone but then
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S4eJ9uBdrSU
And I was like HOLY gently caress I GOTTA GET THIS GAME
Looking back this trailer is super loaded with spoilers and frontloads the tedious gem crafting aspect and presents Rikki in a very negative light but then he turns out to be the best heropon of them all
Hopefully the launch trailer for 2 is as insanely good as this and then the game itself is as insanely good as Xenoblade 1

Didn't notice until now but the game shows the 7th party member, including their combat portrait about 2 minutes in.

XC was definitely better than it probably had any right to be, and XCX sadly did not live up to the expectations XC set. Hopefully XC2 does.

Zelder posted:

It's Reyn time.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Suda51 says that Travis Strikes Again isn't No More Heroes 3, but if it does well he''ll make No More Heroes 3.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

drat, you guys are really making me want to get to Xenoblade after I'm done with Rabbids and Samus Returns. I only have access to it on a 3DS at the moment. Should I just wait and play it on Wii U? I see that the digital version on there lets me use the gamepad so that's a plus.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

SeANMcBAY posted:

drat, you guys are really making me want to get to Xenoblade after I'm done with Rabbids and Samus Returns. I only have access to it on a 3DS at the moment. Should I just wait and play it on Wii U? I see that the digital version on there lets me use the gamepad so that's a plus.

Yes play it on wiiu with nunchuk controls.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
stardew

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Stupid
Bread Liar
Xenoblade is one of the best games ever made and if you have the opportunity to play it in any form right now and never have, do it immediately.

XB2 is gonna own.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

SeANMcBAY posted:

xenoblade is already a kind of ugly game (like it's nice for a wii game but it's still a wii game) and the 3ds doesn't do it many favors

pick it up on wii u. gamepad support is nice if you like that (i do)

just note:
1) the game is LONG
2) if you don't feel like doing side quests DONT DO ANY oh my god there are so many

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

SeANMcBAY posted:

The physical releases are pretty nice. I got BOI and Cave Story and they both came with really nice manuals.

Boi stickers too!!

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Guy Goodbody posted:

Suda51 says that Travis Strikes Again isn't No More Heroes 3, but if it does well he''ll make No More Heroes 3.

he's already said that this is a continuity correction and is pretending NMH2 doesn't exist in this new game. Frankly I don't blame him since NMH2 did a lot of things different with the narrative i.e. replaced larger than life bosses with normal people with normal names to hammer home "every death means something because these are human beings"

also kind of loving overlooked the end of NMH1 wherein the entire assassin game you play is a huge sham set up by two vengeful women

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

SeANMcBAY posted:

I played some XCOM 2 today and I don't like it as much as Rabbids.

I haven't played XCOM but from what I've heard, it apparently doesn't have anywhere close to the level of movement that Rabbids does? I can't imagine going away from that, vaulting around the map is so fun. Also visually XCOM is just dull in comparison. Make every game bright cartoony graphics.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Macaluso posted:

I haven't played XCOM but from what I've heard, it apparently doesn't have anywhere close to the level of movement that Rabbids does? I can't imagine going away from that, vaulting around the map is so fun. Also visually XCOM is just dull in comparison.

XCOM puts a lot more emphasis on strategy, and making sure your dudes are positioned correctly, load-outs are correct, etc, etc. Plus you can do fancy poo poo like sprinting and doubling your movement but dropping your attack action, putting your dudes on overwatch/steely stare every round, etc.

I really really like XCOM, but FauXCOM Mario Rabbids is a hell of a lot of fun

quote:

Make every game bright cartoony graphics.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

XCOM 2 ported to Switch would be loving amazing

I would play that poo poo forever

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

This is what I was referring to when I compared classic Sonic to what we've seen in Forces, and a couple goons didn't get what "tone" is.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

golf story

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I would buy both Xenoblade HD and XCOM 2 on my Nintendo Switch.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Motto posted:

e: I wasn't that into xenoblade's plot or gameplay but I still got a decent number of hours out of it so I'm still interested in 2 to see how they move forward with world design and combat and stuff from the first game and X. I trust them with the former at this point but I'm not sure how the combat changes will work out. Conceptually some stuff is cool, but the way cooldowns and autoattacks are being handled looks like it could be clunky.

Those "people with accents" voicing the original Xenoblade Chronicles are actually some pretty big names in British television and theater, because Nintendo US said "gently caress no" to localizing it (along with The Last Story and Pandora's Tower), so Nintendo EU did all three themselves just because they could. Hence none of the usual US VA's.

One you might recognise is Melia's VA; Jenna Coleman.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
So is RBI Baseball really that bad on the Switch? I want a casual baseball game where I can take control of Posey and bean the poo poo out of Dodgers pitchers with line drives.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Speaking of sportsball, I hope FIFA ends up being halfway decent.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Tayter Swift posted:

So is RBI Baseball really that bad on the Switch? I want a casual baseball game where I can take control of Posey and bean the poo poo out of Dodgers pitchers with line drives.

It's perfectly playable. The crowd is about 3 different cardboard cutouts copy/pasted 10,000 times, and the players might not have the right hair or skin tone, but it plays fine, has all the stadiums, and up to date rosters.

I like it for what it is.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
I got Xenoblade for the 3DS thinking I was going to play the gently caress out of it and then never actually sat down to get into it, this is tempting me to though

still need to finish bravely second first though

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

RZA Encryption posted:

It's perfectly playable. The crowd is about 3 different cardboard cutouts copy/pasted 10,000 times, and the players might not have the right hair or skin tone, but it plays fine, has all the stadiums, and up to date rosters.

I like it for what it is.

Good enough for me, thanks

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
How is Mario not a plumber now

Xenoblade talk: Chronicles is the last JRPG I genuinely enjoyed playing, mainly because the setting is so unique. Its really loving cool to spend the entire game scaling a giant.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Sep 6, 2017

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Internet Kraken posted:

How is Mario not a plumber now

Because he's a kart-racer.
A hand-to-hand arena fighter.
A doctor (disbarred for malpractice after stuffing random pills into bottles).
A world traveler with an on-again-off-again girlfriend and entourage.
A small-squad insurgent soldier with urban combat training and cover tactics.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

When has Mario ever done any plumbing in a video game?

Literally the only time I can think of is in the live action movie, where he actually was a plumber.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I mean what happened that is making everyone talk about Mario not being a plumber now

Infinitum posted:

When has Mario ever done any plumbing in a video game?

I thought the entire reason you use pipes for travel was because of plumbing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Luigi, on the other hand,

• Locked thread