Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe
I would 100% drive that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Powershift posted:

They haven't gone up, but they have held onto their value pretty well.

in checking what they're worth i found this, so uhhh.....

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/708321049/overview/

e:

I look at this and wonder why I don't think it's as bad as a stock painted one. Why???

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I think my 20 years as hurricane chaser might be a little relevant ive been through more hurricanws than moat shiitty newscasters
I feel like you could pull it off if you looked like this.

http://i.imgur.com/IDH0NVe.jpg

Thats marvin zindler but imagine he was an art dealer or something i bet he would rock it.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I want to buy it and crash it full speed into Randy Land

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Got back from the Labor Day weekend auction in my neck of the woods.

Was interesting to see where values were. Granted I and my BIL were looking at a thousand cars so memory will be hazy, but the interesting ones were what they sold at compared to their value so you could compare. Then you start to develop trends in your minds...you know how it works.

There was one car that from a percentage perspective that far exceeded it's estimated value. (If you never done this before, they have a sheet on the windshield on its estimated value. Sold ones get a sold sticker on it stating what it sold for.)

My back of the mind/napkin math was a RX-7 FD. Estimated to be around 25K and sold for 30K. It was dang immaculate. There were no Supras that I spotted.

The unsold lot was filled. Lots of interesting things.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Thoughts on this as a DD with the stock tail lights for $5k? Would raise it up some. Also, those wheels are somehow $2000 a set new so I'd sell them off and find cheap stockers.
https://phoenix.craigslist.org/cph/cto/6222626102.html

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Sep 3, 2017

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

BlackMK4 posted:

Thoughts on this as a DD with the stock tail lights for $5k? Would raise it up some. Also, those wheels are somehow $2000 a set new so I'd sell them off and find cheap stockers.

Rolled fenders :negative: goddamnit.
However a IS300 Sportcross is always awesome. On it's second timing belt which is good and it isn't like the 2jZ isn't reliable as all hell. I'd probably go for it and I think these are going to start creeping slowly back up if not just stay where they are as far as value goes. Not many of them and even less that are close to stock so if you bring it back as much as you can I think you'll easily get whatever you put into it back out if and when you decide to sell it.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I'll be going to see it on Tuesday :)
He said he was firm but I told him $5k sight-unseen and no more negotiation, which he agreed to. I'll buy it if it's as clean as it looks in the pictures.

I can't come up with a more reliable DD that isn't a complete econobox for ~$5k

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Sep 3, 2017

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
wanna fly up and buy my 330i? i could let it go for 6k

https://seattle.craigslist.org/sno/cto/d/2003-bmw-330i/6286304740.html

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
That's sorted and I really want to see Seattle (since moving there is in my 5 year plan) but I think I've owned enough E46es. :)

Someone should buy that, that's a really good price for a sorted E46, especially with those miles.

blk
Dec 19, 2009

What are you replacing your cars with?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

blk posted:

What are you replacing your cars with?

i bought a new gti in july

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Did you just pull a Dagen M?

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
/\ Nice!

Hmmm...

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
$23K loan remaining on an 11 year old truck with 235K miles.

Incredible

Rhyno fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Sep 5, 2017

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

I want to see the unicorn who sees that or a comparable ad and actually takes it up. There must be one, or people wouldn't list them for sale in the first place.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Rhyno posted:

Incredible

I know exactly the type of dude in the driver's seat and what he's like.

Slack3r
Feb 20, 2004

THIS is what a toothache looks like..

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I HATE EVERYTHING THAT YOU LIKE* AND I NEED TO BE SURE YOU ALL KNOW THAT EVERY TIME I POST

*unless it's a DSM in which case we cool ^_^

Rhyno posted:

Incredible

The American dream

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
Oh man I think I want this.

https://chicago.craigslist.org/nch/cto/d/1994-bmw-e34-530i-to-540i/6293700520.html

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

What a deal. Only $3K for a car that has had at least $5K worth of repairs just this year!

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Do it.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
The mismatched seats, red rocker covers and rust would be a pass from me. It certainly looks cool though.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

rdb posted:

The mismatched seats, red rocker covers and rust would be a pass from me. It certainly looks cool though.

Here in the midwest, rust is a given on a car that old.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

CornHolio posted:

Here in the midwest, rust is a given on a car that old.

On a car half that age too

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Seems like it would be an interesting beater if nothing else.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Carth Dookie posted:

I want to see the unicorn who sees that or a comparable ad and actually takes it up. There must be one, or people wouldn't list them for sale in the first place.

Nah, there doesn't have to exist a buyer for this for the seller to think it's possible.

That said, there are buyers like this: they go to dealerships, shop based on payment, pay extra for third party warranties, and wind up in that guy's position years later. They are people who are easily taken advantage of by skilled car salespeople, not people who shop for cars on craigslist.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
I don't understand the significance of the warranty?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

5 year 100k warranty on a car with 235k. So it's not an original manufacturer's warranty. Third-party used car warranties are almost universally scams/garbage; either charging vastly too much, or being filled with weasel language that gets them out of fixing anything, or both.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Oddly, there's a bunch of 2006 F250s on cargurus for about 20k. The highest is actually $27,888 The truck isn't that far overpriced. The offroad package adds a lot of value, apparently.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Deteriorata posted:

Oddly, there's a bunch of 2006 F250s on cargurus for about 20k. The highest is actually $27,888 The truck isn't that far overpriced. The offroad package adds a lot of value, apparently.

I built a 2017 F250 XLT with diesel and FX4 package on Ford's website for $54k MSRP. $20k for an 11 year old one is cray cray. Also the 6.0l was the Bad Engine.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Deteriorata posted:

That is odd because it's typically the only diesel truck you can get in Denver for $10k all day. Just about any Dodge with a Cummins from that time period is listed for $18k+

The Sicilian
Sep 3, 2006

by Smythe

StormDrain posted:

That is odd because it's typically the only diesel truck you can get in Denver for $10k all day. Just about any Dodge with a Cummins from that time period is listed for $18k+

What's the deal with price disparity? Is the Dodge that much better?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

BlackMK4 posted:

So, small world. Roll up to this dude's house a few hours ago and I see a white E30 out front. Is that... my loving car? It was my old E30. The guy that owns the IS300 was the guy that bought my E30.
I offered to buy it back for the second time and was refused. :( :( :(

The IS300 looked nice but had a couple of undisclosed issues so I opted not to make an offer. I might do some research and throw out a lowball, we shall see.

DICTATOR OF FUNK
Nov 6, 2007

aaaaaw yeeeeeah

The Sicilian posted:

Is the Dodge that much better
said nobody in the last 20 years

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

BlackMK4 posted:

So, small world. Roll up to this dude's house a few hours ago and I see a white E30 out front. Is that... my loving car? It was my old E30. The guy that owns the IS300 was the guy that bought my E30.
I offered to buy it back for the second time and was refused. :( :( :(

The IS300 looked nice but had a couple of undisclosed issues so I opted not to make an offer. I might do some research and throw out a lowball, we shall see.

What were the issues?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

KakerMix posted:

What were the issues?

I'm currently deciding if I want to total up the parts cost and see if he will discount it off the $5k I initially offered before seeing the car but:
1. The rear brake pads are almost gone, but not metal-on-metal yet
2. The car goes into ABS about halfway into the pedal travel
3. Some weird suspension noise over bumps (which is probably the coilovers)
4. Lightly needs an alignment

The car isn't immaculate, but it's what I would consider to be pretty clean for the mileage -- about on par with my 04 ZHP. I've owned a bunch of E46es, but never an IS300. It seems like a bit smaller of a car than the E46, which was a nice surprise.

If the second issue had not existed I would have bought it. I'm thinking it is the ABS sensors, but I am not positive. BRAKE light was on.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Sep 6, 2017

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

The Sicilian posted:

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

The Sicilian posted:

The dodge/ram isn't but the cummins engine is the best you can buy in a pickup. Lots of them running around with 1 million or more miles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Didn't this have the nikasil issues?