Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
2 penny bottle imp
Jun 11, 2008

I KNOW WHAT YOU DID LAST SCUMMER

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Tobbs Gnawed is a replacement, but it's not like he's gonna say anything that would contradict Saith's posts since Saith never posted, so it's hard to say yea or nay one way or another just yet. I'd like to check, though - I'm assuming that the claim of 'VT' means Veteran and not, like, Vermont or something? Because I don't know what Vermont would do in a Mafia game but I assume it involves maple trees.

VT = vanilla town.

quote:

got some chores tonight posted some song lyrics, was virtually silent throughout all of D1 except when he popped in to drop the hammer with less than a minute left, that's... sure, that's a thing. It's not a thing I'm particularly keen on, in all honesty.

Ya that looked pretty bad - either disinterested town or just straight scum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

derp
Jan 21, 2010

when i get up all i want to do is go to bed again

Lipstick Apathy
everyone should unvote though I think we need more discussion time, probably the next 2 or 3 lynches should be skipped until we have enough information to truly know whats going on

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
but seriously, there is some strange things going on in this game, i don't know what to believe. i was certain that there was someone with a gun but no one is shooting so i might have to rethink some things. also tnl is confirmed town, and philanderer is confirmed scum. if certain things are to be believed

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
Why is TNL confirmed Town?

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
DCB tbh I lost my read on the game entirely and had to read it all again

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
i got a message in the night that said pretty much that. and everyone knows messages recieved in the night are the Word of Mod 100% true

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
##vote flamander dcb is actually probably idiot town but everything he says puts me in a rage god drat

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

2 penny bottle imp posted:

VT = vanilla town.

Ya that looked pretty bad - either disinterested town or just straight scum.

why is hammering with less than a minute left particularly bad? someone had to do it, he's a hero compared to everyone else sitting around waiting for a no lynch

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

i am shocked SHOCKED at who was sitting around waiting for a nolynch, then calling out the hero who prevented it

what a loving twat you are dcb

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
also i just noticed that i formatted my drat vote wrong so i wasnt even helping, sorry about that

flerp
Feb 25, 2014

derp posted:

why is hammering with less than a minute left particularly bad? someone had to do it, he's a hero compared to everyone else sitting around waiting for a no lynch

because he posted 0 times outside of that vote

Flamander
May 4, 2009

The Ninth Layer posted:

Flamander's last post of day 1. The votecount at the time was pretty much everyone at 2, Flamander isn't voting anybody and ends the day without a vote. Could be scum who didn't want to make the vote that "put anyone over." No visible interest in who might get voted or who might be scum.

##vote Flamander

I try to have a good reason behind my votes, and I didn't like any of the big pushes going on at the time. Does that make me scummy, or is it just me not playing mafia particularly well? :colbert:

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

2 penny bottle imp posted:

VT = vanilla town.

Ah, that makes sense, thank you.

Kashuno posted:

DCB tbh I lost my read on the game entirely and had to read it all again

Fair enough. I wish I saw what you saw, but c'est la vie.

derp posted:

everyone should unvote though I think we need more discussion time, probably the next 2 or 3 lynches should be skipped until we have enough information to truly know whats going on

Perhaps we could lynch more townies on flimsy and unconvincing evidence, would that cheer you up big guy

Real talk - how in the hell does saying "maybe D1 no-lynches aren't inherently awful" infuriate you? I mean, we're going to end up lynching townies - it's inevitable, and besides which victory is unachievable without it barring the World's Greatest Investigative Role - but townies are a limited resource, and there will be a mostly-regular drain on our supply of them; all I'm saying is that maybe we shouldn't be eager to spend them even faster on a case that, virtually by definition, will be based on hazy gut feelings and barely educated guesses. If there's a case to make, make it, but "well I hate no-lynches" isn't a good one, not on the first drat day. How is that enough to make you rage, honestly?

...poo poo, is it that I'm not using random punctuation?!?

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

derp posted:

i am shocked SHOCKED at who was sitting around waiting for a nolynch, then calling out the hero who prevented it

what a loving twat you are dcb

dial it back a notch, we're here to Have Fun.

2 penny bottle imp
Jun 11, 2008

derp posted:

but seriously, there is some strange things going on in this game, i don't know what to believe. i was certain that there was someone with a gun but no one is shooting so i might have to rethink some things. also tnl is confirmed town, and philanderer is confirmed scum. if certain things are to be believed

If you got a message about a gun, perhaps it was RF, our friendly neighborhood Jack of All Trades?

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
it infuriates me because inactive people infuriate me. there is a deadline to take action after which action will be taken against us. you're 'strategy' is to do nothing. doing nothing is always a terrible strategy when you are in a battle. if you think day one sucks, maybe work harder at getting people to post and getting people to say their thoughts on things instead of just calling for more time.

also im not irl mad and sorry for calling you names, saul goodman

flerp
Feb 25, 2014
still sad there hasnt been a dayvig got my hopes up for nothing

flerp
Feb 25, 2014
hoesntly i dont like chores. shows up last minute to hammer rf for his only post during d1, then his few posts at the beginning of d2 is mostly worthless with fifth post post implies that once again chores is going to post anymore because he hit the required number of posts

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

flerp posted:

still sad there hasnt been a dayvig got my hopes up for nothing

same

2 penny bottle imp
Jun 11, 2008

flerp posted:

hoesntly i dont like chores. shows up last minute to hammer rf for his only post during d1, then his few posts at the beginning of d2 is mostly worthless with fifth post post implies that once again chores is going to post anymore because he hit the required number of posts

Ya that's worse than 100% lurking tbh.

Flamander
May 4, 2009

flerp posted:

I was thinking the same thing. He's posted in bursts early D1, and so far he's done the same early D2. As you said, it looks like he's trying to get the needed amount of posts for the game out. It's not voteworthy, because for all I know chores could post more later on in D2, but it looks suspicious.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Flamander posted:

I was thinking the same thing. He's posted in bursts early D1, and so far he's done the same early D2. As you said, it looks like he's trying to get the needed amount of posts for the game out. It's not voteworthy, because for all I know chores could post more later on in D2, but it looks suspicious.

scumpost. "hmm, he could be scum, but maybe not. its suspicious, but im not going to put even a finger let alone my neck on the line by doing something so drastic as voting"

also the whole lets kill the guy who hammered a town is such a lazy scum tactic, try to find something other than the fact that he hammered and i'll listen, except not to posts from this guy cause he's scum

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Flamander posted:

Your day 1 wasn't much better.

flerp
Feb 25, 2014

derp posted:

scumpost. "hmm, he could be scum, but maybe not. its suspicious, but im not going to put even a finger let alone my neck on the line by doing something so drastic as voting"

also the whole lets kill the guy who hammered a town is such a lazy scum tactic, try to find something other than the fact that he hammered and i'll listen, except not to posts from this guy cause he's scum

he didnt post all of day 1 except for the hammering. its not because he hammered a townie, its because he's actively been not playing the game.

flerp
Feb 25, 2014
chores is nearly as bad as saith except chores posted literally ONE TIME on D1 and look at these high content D2 posts

got some chores tonight posted:

its so obviously scummy it must be town

flamander next his post history is short and also bad and triple also scummy

man i hope my boy tobbs is in the game now

very helpful, great poster

##vote chores

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

derp posted:

it infuriates me because inactive people infuriate me. there is a deadline to take action after which action will be taken against us. you're 'strategy' is to do nothing. doing nothing is always a terrible strategy when you are in a battle. if you think day one sucks, maybe work harder at getting people to post and getting people to say their thoughts on things instead of just calling for more time.

If you can't see the difference between "let's actually post and discuss poo poo but if D1 comes out a no-lynch that's not such a bad thing, since 'well I guess we have to kill someone' helps scum more than town" and "let's just not do anything at all" then I don't know what to tell you, champ. There's being willing to kill a townie if it gets town a benefit, and then there's being eager to kill a townie in the hopes that maybe, just maybe, it might be useful. Insisting that we just have to kill someone D1, we just have to, is roughly the equivalent of blowing your paychecks on scratch tickets because you're just certain that you'll get the jackpot one of these days.

poo poo, it even muddies the waters on any info you get from peoples' votes - the one useful D1 info source - because the response to "hey that vote seems scummy to me" is immediately "well you wouldn't want a day one no-lynch now would you" instead of making people take a fuckin' stand and actually say what they're thinking. Anyway, it's a moot point now, since it's no longer D1, so I'll drop it.

As I said earlier, I'm not at all a fan of chores' D1 last-second hammer after a day of silence. The hammer isn't the thing that gets me, last-second though it was; it's the utter silence punctuated only by the occasional shitpost that reads to me like a dude desperately trying not to attract any attention.

##vote chores

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Ironically the guy who argued we should spend day 1 doing nothing is now voting someone for doing nothing on day 1.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

The Ninth Layer posted:

the guy who argued we should spend day 1 doing nothing

I know I addressed my last post to derp but you can read it too, it's okay

don't be afraid of the words, they can't hurt you

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Three paragraphs doesn't change that you are voting for a lurker lynch. Game-wise you have about as much day 1 content as he does.

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy
##unvote because of people saying they are 100% on TNL's alignment.

##vote stickup

Not satisfied with his explanations. Looks like being hopeful for a quick/easy hammer on a player he knows is town.

The Ninth Layer posted:

Actually ##unvote could he get a replacement instead? Having only a "confirmed PM" post is as good as any for a replacement candidate.

Also this. If TNL was scum he'd know I was town and never would have pushed for a replacement over free lunch. Dunno why he read as scummy to me, but pretty sure I was wrong.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

I don't have a scum read on stickup at all, he's been active and participating in most discussions and seems interested in finding scum.

I'm also not convinced that missing Tobbs replacing in for Saith is a mistake only scum could make in that situation, it looks like he legitimately missed that Saith got replaced and he then corrected his mistake pretty quickly. That could happen to anybody. And as for rushing in to make a quick free vote happen that's true of almost everybody including me who was around for the flip, the only thing separating stickup's vote from say Kashuno's is the timing of the vote.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

I think chores hammering last minute yesterday was a Good Move and I'm grateful he did it, even if I'm suspicious of the last-minute timing that suggests he was around and reading for some time prior but not posting for whatever reason. For the most part I think he's just a lurker vote.

A post like this on the other hand is very scummy, chores is openly flaunting that he's posting the bare minimum to avoid the free vote. It is also currently his last post of the day. I would call this Anti Town play as chores is not only making himself indistinguishable from a scum lurker evading the anti-lurking mechanics, but is also declaring that now that he's hit the threshold he intends to continue lurking. Essentially he is daring the town to take him to account for doing this.

I have trouble believing that scum would play so conspicuously, as there are less noticeable ways of hitting the anti-lurking threshold, but that's a WIFOM consideration and in any case I can see the practical benefit for scum to play like this. On the other hand if chores is town doing this to make a point, either in mocking response to people accusing him of doing this on day 1 or as a statement about the effectiveness of anti-lurking measures, it's really lovely for the rest of the town who has to decide whether to tolerate his anti-town skirting of those measures or to waste a day flipping him.

I'm not eager to vote chores as I think he's a good town player with solid instincts, but his play this game so far has been indefensible and if this is still his last post of the game 24 hours from now I'll have no issue voting him today.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Mr. F! posted:

Did anyone happen to watch me last night?

This is role fishing.

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

honk honk whats for lunch...

The Ninth Layer posted:

I think chores hammering last minute yesterday was a Good Move and I'm grateful he did it, even if I'm suspicious of the last-minute timing that suggests he was around and reading for some time prior but not posting for whatever reason. For the most part I think he's just a lurker vote.

A post like this on the other hand is very scummy, chores is openly flaunting that he's posting the bare minimum to avoid the free vote. It is also currently his last post of the day. I would call this Anti Town play as chores is not only making himself indistinguishable from a scum lurker evading the anti-lurking mechanics, but is also declaring that now that he's hit the threshold he intends to continue lurking. Essentially he is daring the town to take him to account for doing this.

I have trouble believing that scum would play so conspicuously, as there are less noticeable ways of hitting the anti-lurking threshold, but that's a WIFOM consideration and in any case I can see the practical benefit for scum to play like this. On the other hand if chores is town doing this to make a point, either in mocking response to people accusing him of doing this on day 1 or as a statement about the effectiveness of anti-lurking measures, it's really lovely for the rest of the town who has to decide whether to tolerate his anti-town skirting of those measures or to waste a day flipping him.

I'm not eager to vote chores as I think he's a good town player with solid instincts, but his play this game so far has been indefensible and if this is still his last post of the game 24 hours from now I'll have no issue voting him today.

sorry for being shtity

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Don't apologize just step it up dude.

You're giving me flashbacks to Podima's Mary Celeste game that had a similar mechanic, a good two or three of my scumbuddies in that game could barely reach 4 of a required 10 posts naturally so they ended a few days just by spamming a series of posts. It was scummy as gently caress and they largely got away with it because they were lurker lynches otherwise, what you're doing is only slightly better since at least it's at the start of the day and you're up front about doing it.

Flamander
May 4, 2009

this is a stickup posted:

hmm, I have some thoughts on these matters

last time I called opop out for not voting, I was the serial killer. perhaps tnl is a serial killer! I went back through some old games to see if I had caught opop, and saw that him not voting isn't a consistent scum tell. but I was right, opop was scum!

what I'm saying is, we should kill both

this is a stickup posted:

let's kill one of the people actively pushing for a no lynch that would starve this game starved of information of information

stickup was constantly suggesting people to get pushed D1. IMO, that sort of attitude is sort of hard to guess at - either it's scum trying to delay the votes till D1 ends or he's trying to get as many people to show their opinion as possible, which is alignment-neutral, I'd say. Depends on the intention. Anyways, given RF's flip, I'm gonna vote him.

##vote stickup

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

honk honk whats for lunch...
iven ever been more sure someone is scum than i right now because i am 9000% sure flamander is scum

Flamander
May 4, 2009

iven ever been more sure someone is scum than i right now because i am 9000% sure flamander is scum

yeah, that's usually how my games go.

2 penny bottle imp
Jun 11, 2008

Reasons?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

This is a really quiet game. Where's Magnus?

• Locked thread