Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

GreenNight posted:

Do not play the 3DS ver of Xenoblade. It's the loving worst. It's so bad. You can't see a drat thing that is going on. It's beyond terrible. If you purchased it, go emulate the Wii ver on Dolphin.

Yeah it blows. Technically it's impressive they did it in the first place, but the result is a muddy lovely mess. They didn't even bother to do the UI elements properly so they're stretched and blurred.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Al Borland Corp. posted:

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/905423354823192576

Mario rescues a princesses, and lands several punches with impacts emphasized through screen shaking.
Jesus, spoiler that sh*t dude.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Mario rescues a princesses, and lands several punches with impacts emphasized through screen shaking.

Excited for that lunch-themed level

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug

Al Borland Corp. posted:

*punchpunchpunchpunchpunch*

Bowser: "Bwah, puny plumber (ex) can't hurt King Koopa!"

Mario: "You are already dead..."

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Is 88 Heroes good?

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

The thing I need to get used to in Mario XCom is being able to fire before you move. I've already had several instances where I painstakingly planned out a turn that wasn't quite right and then realized I could have fixed everything by firing, then moving.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Guy Goodbody posted:

Is 88 Heroes good?

Someone tell me how you feel about it in 14 words or less.

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT

8-bit Miniboss posted:

So if anyone is looking for controller options for playing Street Fighter II on their SNES Classic, Hori is putting this out in Japan:

https://twitter.com/HORI__OFFICIAL/status/905355215104335872

They're releasing a SNES controller they made in the past for the SNES Classic (not exactly 1:1 since they're still adding ZL and ZR as shoulder buttons). It's wireless, so I'm not 100% sure if it'd work on a Wii/U despite the Wii accessory connector.

Edit: Oh jeez, right down to the package too:

This is kind of unrelated but made me think of how many SNES fighting sticks in the 90s would have LXR across the top row of buttons and YBA on the bottom. What the gently caress was that all about

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
lego worlds is everything i wanted mince craft to be, its fun and good and relaxing and lego is also fun and good. Switch has finally received a good game, and naturally? it's perfecto for the Switch

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Internet Kraken posted:

I thought the entire reason you use pipes for travel was because of plumbing.

An interesting question. By which I mean I'm going to :spergin: now.

I assumed, surely, that the origin of Mario's plumbing career would be Mario Bros.
Mario Bros NES manual "Mario and Luigi" "This underground adventure"
Mario Bros Atari Manual "Mario, the carpenter, and his brother, Luigi" "The water pipes in their house"
Mario Bros Cab Control Panel "Pests come pouring out of the waterpipes, Mario cleans up the place!"

Super Mario Bros. NES manual "Mario, the hero of our story (maybe)"

It appears that there is no direct manual reference to Mario's job here, although plumbing is clearly implied.
Let's check Super Mario Bros 3 just to be sure.

Super Mario Bros. 3 NES manual "A MESSAGE FROM MARIO" "so Luigi and I are going on another adventure"
Nope. Nothing.

Wait hold on, what's this on the same page?
"Bowser is back!"
Bowser: "Ha Ha Ha! These are my 7 children who are going to help me take over the Mushroom World!"

Al! :argh:

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

IIRC before Mario had a name and they just called him "Jumpman" his profession was "brave carpenter"

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

That Jumpman art looks likes it's from a movie poster from the 1910s

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Al Borland Corp. posted:

That was a kind of genre defining 3D adventure game for dos in like 1994.

That was Cyberia. With a C. And it came out on the 3DO, too!

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Ok thanks. I kept thinking I was going insane with everyone saying the game was from 2003 and I didn't realize it was a different game.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Img-god of war 3 Poseidon death.gif

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

whaley posted:

This is kind of unrelated but made me think of how many SNES fighting sticks in the 90s would have LXR across the top row of buttons and YBA on the bottom. What the gently caress was that all about

Sounds like you're talking about the SNES Score Master. I can't find out when it was originally made, but I presume it's like the SNES advantage which was basically made right as SF2 was being released overseas, which means it could've been just lack of proper awareness of where buttons should've been for the new type of game hitting it big.

My best guess though is that they wanted to place the buttons in a way that mimic'd the actual SNES pad. The layout of YBXA lines up pretty well if you move the X button up and center the remaining buttons on the buttom. Would maybe make it easier to use for people who wouldn't understand a normal stick layout (YXL, BAR), but of course in the process doesn't really make sense for a fighting game.

Funny thing is that SNES versions of SF2 were already pretty good about remapping controls, so in the end it probably wouldn't matter too much if the button layout for the sticks were weird.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Two Beans posted:

*punchpunchpunchpunchpunch*

Bowser: "Bwah, puny plumber (ex) can't hurt King Koopa!"

Mario: "You are already dead..."

Heard this in my head:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sk1Yj3LrVd4&t=240s

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

whaley posted:

I'm guessing the idea was basically taking the YXBA diamond layout and shoving it up into an inverted-T, then tacking LR into the open spaces left. In theory it might be more playable if you tried using it for non arcade games maybe cause it'd semi resemble the original layout. Or something. e;fb :v:

On a side note, MS had a funky layout for original Xbox (and maybe 360) sticks too. It laid out the face buttons on bottom left and upper left three buttons, so you could play them kinda like a Neo-Geo layout (worked ok cause the Japanese curved layout, rather than the straight six grid on old American sticks), then shoulder buttons for the opposite remaining four.

Ventana posted:

Sounds like you're talking about the SNES Score Master. I can't find out when it was originally made, but I presume it's like the SNES advantage which was basically made right as SF2 was being released overseas, which means it could've been just lack of proper awareness of where buttons should've been for the new type of game hitting it big.

My best guess though is that they wanted to place the buttons in a way that mimic'd the actual SNES pad. The layout of YBXA lines up pretty well if you move the X button up and center the remaining buttons on the buttom. Would maybe make it easier to use for people who wouldn't understand a normal stick layout (YXL, BAR), but of course in the process doesn't really make sense for a fighting game.

Funny thing is that SNES versions of SF2 were already pretty good about remapping controls, so in the end it probably wouldn't matter too much if the button layout for the sticks were weird.
I had the big rear end Capcom stick and I think it had the same layout, maybe it was like the MS situation and it was the official layout? I vaguely remember for SF2 (and other iterations) it had a preset for the funky layout, but I'm not 100% on that.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

raditts posted:

IIRC before Mario had a name and they just called him "Jumpman" his profession was "brave carpenter"

Mario is Jesus confirmed.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

well why not posted:

He also fucks married women on the regular

Mario's a plumber because he lays pipe, not because he fixes any. I wouldn't mind a Mario themed Plumbing simulator thoug.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

That Jumpman art looks likes it's from a movie poster from the 1910s

Anyone else have an inexplicable urge to play Little Nemo again?

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

raditts posted:

Yeah, carpenter is established in game documentation much clearer than plumber, even though plumber was his occupation for about ten times as long.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Lodin posted:

Syberia and The Longest Journey are some of those point and clicks that came out once the genre was "dead". It's really good if you like the old school stuff from before Telltale made everything into interactive movies.

The Longest Journey is one of my absolute favourite games, and it's well worth picking up on GoG.com when it drops to $3-$4AUD during a sale. Dreamfall and Dreamfall Chapters... yeah, they're not so great.

Syberia's drat lovely, taking you through all these old places in Europe that are just well past their prime and slowly dying. In a clockwork train. The sequel's not so great, because a good portion of it is just through rugged forest instead of fascinating steampunk-y locations, but it does give the story a decent conclusion. I haven't played Syberia 3 though, so I can't say anything as to its quality. Benoit Sokal has also ported Syberia to just about every goddamn platform you can think of ever since it first came out. Even the DS, apparently. And while you could buy it for $60 on the Switch, you could also drop a single dollar on it at GoG.com as both Syberia 1&2 are on sale right now for 90% off.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

I'm going to stick with the fact that he jumps in and out of pipes clearing out messes of monsters and who knows what else.

Exactly what I would expect a cartoon plumber to do. Do you really expect a cartoon plummer to snake poo poo out of toilets?

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
The Super Mario Brothers Super Show was pretty clear on Mario's profession

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

japtor posted:

I had the big rear end Capcom stick and I think it had the same layout, maybe it was like the MS situation and it was the official layout? I vaguely remember for SF2 (and other iterations) it had a preset for the funky layout, but I'm not 100% on that.

I didn't know about the MS situation, but that sounds plausible yeah. Honestly, I couldn't even find much detailed information on the Score Master in the first place and so I couldn't even tell it was first party or not. As for the Capcom stick you said, I saw one picture of a capcom stick but it didn't have the buttons labeled so I couldn't tell if it was a weird layout or not, but if it did match the Score Master then that gives support for the idea of an "official layout".

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

ASK ME ABOUT BEING A GROWNUP WHO FUCKS A REAL DOLL
A lot of my erotic fan fiction relies on Mario being a plumber.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

GoldfishStew posted:

A lot of my erotic fan fiction relies on Mario being a plumber.

You gotta diversify. I'd say only 5% of mine relies on that. Heck, Mario is only in about 60% in the first place

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

Internet Kraken posted:

Xenoblade talk: Chronicles is the last JRPG I genuinely enjoyed playing, mainly because the setting is so unique. Its really loving cool to spend the entire game scaling a giant.

I thought I didn't like JRPG's anymore until I played Xenoblade Chronicles. It's also probably my favorite soundtrack of any game and the only one I purchased that didn't already come with a game. So hyped XC2 has the people from Xenoblade Chronicles doing the soundtrack, I'm buying the game on that fact alone.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

My favorite soundtracks are The World Ends With You, Persona 3, and Nier.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Nopon village has my favorite city track of any rpg ever. Well that or colony 6

Kamikaze Raider
Sep 28, 2001

GreenNight posted:

My favorite soundtracks are The World Ends With You, Persona 3, and Nier.

This may get some ridicule, but one of my all time favorite atmospheric soundtracks is from WoW: Wrath of the Lich King. The theme from Storm Peaks in particular was probably my favorite.

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

Switch plus travel update:

Status = Switch good

I've travelled on a 6 hour flight and had my switch the entire time. It was awesome as hell. Zelda was the star of the flight, the only part that sucked was doing a shrine that required motion controls but you can just disconnect the right joy con and it works okay.

Mario + Rabbids is so amazingly perfect for long flights, it kept me occupied for hours.

Sonic Mania is really fun. Flights do not make blue balls any easier to do. :(

I have another 6 hour flight today and am planning on more Rabbids and also probably some shovel knight.

My hotel room tv had a HDMI connection so bringing my dock was a great idea. Played splatoon2 on hotel Wi-Fi and finally got to profreshional in salmon run. :dance:

I unfortunately didn't attend any rooftop bbqs so my review of those will have to wait.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Oxygen Deficiency posted:

Sonic Mania is really fun. Flights do not make blue balls any easier to do. :(

Someone didn't join the mile high club.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

About to road trip tomorrow myself, looking forward to some Rabbids. I guess I should put the screen protector on finally.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Zelder posted:

Nopon village has my favorite city track of any rpg ever. Well that or colony 6

my man. I'd stay in nopon village way longer than needed to talk to all the nopons partially because the treehouse city and the music track were beautiful.

I really missed all the charming nopons from XCX. You could only interact with that one piece of poo poo Tatsu and the rest you couldn't even talk with.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Tatsu was only bad because constantly the only people protecting him said "Hey guess what you're food and I'm going to loving eat you first chance I get!" So he was already stressed out.

He doesn't look like any food I ever saw!

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Tatsu and Lin were bad.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I thought the Switch only had about a 3 hour battery life. Is that not the case?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
I wasn't feeling the Lin - Tatsu dynamic at first but when I realized they were forcing me to repeat the same joke through a menu like, what, six times, I realized it was hilarious and amazing

Macaluso posted:

I thought the Switch only had about a 3 hour battery life. Is that not the case?

Depends on the game, as they stress it to varying amounts. I think Zelda is still the worst, at something like 2.5 hours. Lighter stuff will get twice that

• Locked thread