Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Globofglob
Jan 14, 2008
Spoilers for Twig 20.10 There goes the Infante, the Duke, and possibly Helen. I enjoyed the whole fight, though I'm sad to see the Duke go. He became one of my favorite characters in the few scenes he had. Still not sure how to feel about the whole "TITS" debacle at the end. I'm also wondering what happens to the lambs now; They're all still traitors, stuck in the middle of an enemy army, and just because the Infante died doesn't mean they won't turn on the lambs now. Captured and brought to the Pits of London, maybe?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Katreus
May 31, 2011

You and I both know this is silly, but this is the biggest women's sporting event in the world. Let's try to make the most of it, shall we?
That prac guide update.

The Callow knights!! I loved seeing the interlude perspectives on the battle from the other generals. The Winter army (?!) flank to the Callow knights - Ranker's reaction was gold.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
The chapter heading talks about "Battle of Four Armies and One" - so my question is what's the fourth army? I guess there already could be all there depending on you do the partitioning.

lurksion fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Aug 30, 2017

q_k
Dec 31, 2007

lurksion posted:

The chapter heading talks about "Battle of Four Armies and One" - so my question is what's the fourth army? I guess there already could be all there depending on you do the partitioning.

I'm pretty sure it's the Legions of Terror, The Watch, Winter, and Summer as the armies, and Ranger is the one. Or the original allied host, Winter, Summer, and the Knights are the armies. Unless someone else like the Diabolist is going to drop in.

Silynt
Sep 21, 2009

q_k posted:

I'm pretty sure it's the Legions of Terror, The Watch, Winter, and Summer as the armies, and Ranger is the one. Or the original allied host, Winter, Summer, and the Knights are the armies. Unless someone else like the Diabolist is going to drop in.

I think that the Four Armies must be the original Legion/Watch Army, Summer, Winter, and the Knights. With the Watch acting as a cohesive part of Cat's group at the moment, it's hard to think of them as a separate entity for this battle at least, whereas the Knights coming in as a surprise attack sets them apart. At least it seems that way to me. Or maybe a surprise appearance by Diabolist's army of devils. Ranger is obviously the One, because who else could be called the One in a battle with four armies?

I read through the comments section on the update and like half the posts are from people who can't put together that it is Ranger in the hooded cloak in the hills sharpening a sword - 'Maybe it's Scribe! Maybe it's the Bard!'. How can you even enjoy a story if you're that oblivious to foreshadowing? It boggles the mind

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Silynt posted:

I think that the Four Armies must be the original Legion/Watch Army, Summer, Winter, and the Knights. With the Watch acting as a cohesive part of Cat's group at the moment, it's hard to think of them as a separate entity for this battle at least, whereas the Knights coming in as a surprise attack sets them apart. At least it seems that way to me. Or maybe a surprise appearance by Diabolist's army of devils. Ranger is obviously the One, because who else could be called the One in a battle with four armies?

I read through the comments section on the update and like half the posts are from people who can't put together that it is Ranger in the hooded cloak in the hills sharpening a sword - 'Maybe it's Scribe! Maybe it's the Bard!'. How can you even enjoy a story if you're that oblivious to foreshadowing? It boggles the mind

legion (pipe cleaner + ranker), callow (15th + knights), summer, winter

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I started practical guide today as a break from marathoning twig and it owns really hard that's my story about practical guide

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
Saturday's Twig was great. :allears:

For certain Wildbowy values of great.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Is Worm 2 ever coming out?

Katreus
May 31, 2011

You and I both know this is silly, but this is the biggest women's sporting event in the world. Let's try to make the most of it, shall we?
Prac guide update with the bonus interlude for the start of the month. Interesting - I really like the classic interview before death that the villains do. Malicia is quite the competent long-term planner - a very different type of evil to Black's type. The casual revelation of her hooks into the Legion was pretty interesting as well.

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

TOOT BOOT posted:

Is Worm 2 ever coming out?

Yes.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
Meanwhile, in Twig...

Helen is alive, but will remain incapacitated for months. That makes 5 active Lambs and 2 incapacitated ones. We still don't know what Hayle and Fray are up to.

I'm thinking they may actually end up being taken to the Crown Capital, since it would allow the Lord King to get directly involved in the story instead of being saved for a hypothetical sequel. It also sets up a possible resolution: Sy reveals the truth about the Nobles to the general British population and it sends the Crown's European territories into chaos. The problem is the possibility that the Crown just wipes out Europe too and relocates to South America or India.

I'm also interested in finding out what ridiculous titles the Nobles above the Infante have. His full title is given at one point as the Infante of Crown Hispana, and here's what Sy remembered about him when he first met him:

10.17 posted:

Infante. That put this man around the ninth, tenth, or eleventh place from the throne, though it was always hard to tell, with new births and deaths that weren’t spoken of. My memory of these things was bad to begin with, but I thought of two possibilities for who he might be. Either the Lord King’s second grandchild or husband to the youngest child of the king.

Jamie, who has a rather better memory to say the least, has this to say about First Augustus:

14.15 posted:

Augustus is close to the Infante, and is in the Infante’s neighborhood when it comes to the line of succession. The way things unfold, he probably won’t ever wear the crown, barring incident. Children are born, they’ll fill up the space between Augustus and the Crown, but… it’s not entirely out of the question?

Of course, we now know that the family trees are all faked anyway, but the Infante's being around tenth place should still hold. I guess the people above him would have titles like Dauphin of Crown Gaul? I'm assuming the Archduke (the Duke of Francis's uncle) was the title associated with Austria (which doesn't mean he actually hung out there), while FIrst Augustus is the title associated with part of Southern Europe (and I guess there would be a Second Augustus associated with another part of Southern Europe). The #2 noble would probably be the Prince of Wales.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

poo poo, I accidentally caused the creation of a new thread.

Well... cool! Thanks a lot, fellows.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Please don't post twig without spoiler tags ding dongs

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Does Ryoka in Wandering Inn ever become less obnoxious (or have her behavior portrayed as a negative thing, at least)? I think I trust the author to deal with her well, but it can be hard to tell sometimes with characters like this.

I find that it's often difficult to interpret antisocial characters in media written by/for nerdy people, since behavior that is really rude in reality is interpreted by many nerdy people (who are often antisocial themselves and unwilling to view that as a negative trait) as just being a personal quirk, if not an outright positive trait.

(Just to be clear, I'm not referring to the shyness itself so much as the "everyone else is terrible and obnoxious" sorta misanthropy.)

edit: By the way, is Ryoka supposed to be half-Japanese or is it just a coincidence that her name could be a Japanese one?

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 10:30 on Sep 6, 2017

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
Japanese names are just kind of the Thing To Do in a lot of nerdy circles.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Ytlaya posted:

Does Ryoka in Wandering Inn ever become less obnoxious (or have her behavior portrayed as a negative thing, at least)? I think I trust the author to deal with her well, but it can be hard to tell sometimes with characters like this.

I find that it's often difficult to interpret antisocial characters in media written by/for nerdy people, since behavior that is really rude in reality is interpreted by many nerdy people (who are often antisocial themselves and unwilling to view that as a negative trait) as just being a personal quirk, if not an outright positive trait.

(Just to be clear, I'm not referring to the shyness itself so much as the "everyone else is terrible and obnoxious" sorta misanthropy.)

edit: By the way, is Ryoka supposed to be half-Japanese or is it just a coincidence that her name could be a Japanese one?

Characterization in TWI is p. clumsy at times (I try to be forgiving about these more difficult aspects being a bit rough in web novels, what with them technically being serialised first drafts) but the author defibitely intends it as a big character flaw. You can see by the end of Book 1. And yeah, I believe she's a, to put it in proper fantasy terms, demi-Asian.

Absum
May 28, 2013

I think Ryoka's parents were both Japanese immigrants but I don't recall for sure.

Anyway I do think I need to say I dropped the series in part because of her. Yeah it's treated as a character flaw, but imo she'd barely changed when I dropped it and at that point I'd gotten quite sick of the way her chapters are narrated. I think that catching up and having to read serially played a part in making her more annoying to me and on her own she wouldn't have caused me to drop the series but her chapters are still what pushed me over the edge.

I might pick it back up again in the future when there are lots of chapters to read but right now I'd rather do nothing at all than read a Ryoka chapter.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Ryoka is either half or full Japanese, I think half. Also she improves a lot and the writing style has fewer of those starred aside.

Vateke
Jun 29, 2010
I feel like I don't have the knowledge to explain this well, but does anyone else think that The Gods are Bastards lately has had a lot of exposition-y dialogue? Especially the Tellwyrn parts of this arc.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
RE: Wandering Inn
Not sure how far you are in, but I thought Ryoka was fairly clearly written to be unhealthily broken, and her behavior has perfectly consequential negative effects late-ish in Book 1. And yes, she does get better as a consequence, though its still an issue that seems like it will cause problems in the future.

Ytlaya posted:

This becomes a very minor footnote-y plot point too.

Also looking at the table of contents holy hell does the numbering make zero sense.

lurksion fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Sep 6, 2017

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me
Ryoka learns humility and the true meaning of friendship the hard way.

lurksion posted:

Also looking at the table of contents holy hell does the numbering make zero sense.

He writes sponsored side stories and just jams them in wherever.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
She. Like, duh, have you read it? :)

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Avulsion posted:

Ryoka learns humility and the true meaning of friendship the hard way.
She wasn’t great at first, but grew on me. Her current adventures in friendship are great.

I still hope Toren is OK though. :ohdear:

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Okay, that's all I really need to know. I figured it would be dealt with reasonably well since this Garia person is portrayed as obviously nice/good, in contrast to Ryoka's description of her as annoying. I've read JP web novels with characters like Ryoka who are portrayed as correct, and the author's own misanthropy sort of bleeds into the work in those cases, with the character portrayed as the only sane person in a world of morons.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

90s Cringe Rock posted:

I still hope Toren is OK though. :ohdear:

That character is winning the Patreon poll for next side story update.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Lone Goat posted:

That character is winning the Patreon poll for next side story update.

That's good because he owns pretty hard.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Ryoka's misanthropy is a constant source of loving her over in small ways, and is equal parts "this is really tedious" and "these are the best fuckin one-liners goddamn"

I get why she gets a lot of criticism as a character, especially for one specific part of late book two where she asspulls a major plot element out of kinda nowhere, but she's also got a lot of interesting poo poo goin on around her especially once Winter starts.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Unsong is so goddamn dense with religion/Kabbalah/programming jokes early on, it's great. I just started it recently but it's pretty refreshing after me mostly having gone through all the gloom of wildbow's stuff.

quote:

A spark appeared on Uriel’s finger, and in lines of fire he traced a diagram into the sky in front of him.

“THERE ARE TWENTY-TWO DIFFERENT PATHS BETWEEN THESE JEWELS. EACH CORRESPONDS TO A PARTICULAR HEBREW LETTER.”

Sohu looked at the glowing diagram. “Okay,” she said. “But what does all this mean?”

“THIS WAS GOD’S MACHINE FOR CREATING THE WORLD,” said Uriel. “IT HAD MANY PROBLEMS. SO I HACKED INTO IT AND MADE IT EMULATE A DIFFERENT MACHINE WHICH RUNS THE WORLD MY WAY. IT INVOLVES MANY FEWER SURPRISES. IT IS IMPORTANT TO KNOW THE STRUCTURE OF THE ORIGINAL MACHINE BOTH IN ORDER TO CONTROL THE EMULATION, AND BECAUSE THE EMULATION IS NO LONGER COMPLETE.”

“So the whole universe runs on this system of sapphires connected by paths?”

“MOST OF IT RUNS ON SAPPHIRES ON PATHS, BUT I USE RUBY ON RAILS FOR THE DATABASES.”

i'm dead

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

UNSONG's humor tends to be a bit out there, but goddamn when it hits it hits.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

bewilderment posted:

Unsong is so goddamn dense with religion/Kabbalah/programming jokes early on, it's great.

The YOSPOS web serial.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

bewilderment posted:

Unsong is so goddamn dense with religion/Kabbalah/programming jokes early on, it's great. I just started it recently but it's pretty refreshing after me mostly having gone through all the gloom of wildbow's stuff.

i'm dead

Wait till Uriel figures out knock knock jokes.

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous
Bit of a long shot but is there an iPhone app that lets me read all/any of these?

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007

sharktamer posted:

Bit of a long shot but is there an iPhone app that lets me read all/any of these?

I've been reading web serials with just Safari in reader mode, it makes it very readable (and usually fixes dumb color schemes). It's not as nice as having an ebook, but it's workable.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

sharktamer posted:

Convert them to epub, read them with whatever.

https://www.reddit.com/r/LightNovels/comments/3fgjsz/convert_web_novels_to_epubpdf/

Unsong is already available as epub.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Oh God where was this when I was copying Work and Pact and Twig by hand, kill me

Also I'm reading more Practical Guide

suicide goats

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
Online converter FYI, bit finicky with some sites.
http://www.bloxp.com/

Also standard RSS for updates on uncompleted ones.

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008
Just a note - if you convert it for Worm, please do _not_ distribute the output files.

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007

Thanks a lot for this, I'll by real ebooks from the authors the second they come out but until then this is a good tide over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Twig 9.somethinf

I had it spoiled for me accidentally that Sy loses an eye but holy poo poo that was not how I was expecting it to go down

8 and 9 are basically just one long stream of poo poo pouring down on the lambs. Also can't wait for find out more about the Twins, the Duke interlude was fantastic

BENGHAZI 2 fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Sep 11, 2017