Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

Also, when they say new game plus, it ain't your familiar concept of new game plus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.
More switching perspective than starting over- is there a good term for that in games or even other media?

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Just Offscreen posted:

More switching perspective than starting over- is there a good term for that in games or even other media?

Yeah
Literally all of Taro Yokos games.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Got to the part of the second playthrough of Automata where you can fast-travel now, so sidequest time, including those annoying ones. I really liked the refight with The opera singer where every time you hack into her you get more of her backstory. That was pretty cool. I didn't even notice the tiny Stubby at her core until that sequence when I finally saw her real eyes peering out from her "neck". That's cool design.

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.

BioEnchanted posted:

Got to the part of the second playthrough of Automata where you can fast-travel now, so sidequest time, including those annoying ones. I really liked the refight with The opera singer where every time you hack into her you get more of her backstory. That was pretty cool. I didn't even notice the tiny Stubby at her core until that sequence when I finally saw her real eyes peering out from her "neck". That's cool design.

I never noticed that until you just pointed it out- that's fantastic.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Also, again about Automata's antagonists, although this one may be spurious: Adam and Eve are almost exaggerated mirrors of 2B and 9S's relationship - Eve and 9S being fairly chipper and friendly towards their companion, while their companion (Adam and 2B) are more mission focused and less likely to break away from their current objectives. Also, 2B almost has the same reaction to losing 9S as Eve does to losing Adam, in a kind of reversal of the dymanics - genocidal madness borne from grief. The only thing stopping 2B from losing herself is the fact that 9S is able to tell her that he's OK.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Nier Automata is really good and something you should go into blind.

Rather pointless for a video game. (Seriouspost: I have Nier and I still haven't even played that. I have a brain condition called "stupidity" that prevents me from skipping games in a series if I own them.)

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Videogames are one of the thing that totally matter if your going blind or not, a lot of the time the gameplay tells some of the story. But I have that same thing where I'm like "I'll play Yakuza 0, but I want to play the first ones first to get the ~story~ in the way it was intended to be told.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

BioEnchanted posted:

Videogames are one of the thing that totally matter if your going blind or not, a lot of the time the gameplay tells some of the story. But I have that same thing where I'm like "I'll play Yakuza 0, but I want to play the first ones first to get the ~story~ in the way it was intended to be told.

Yakuza Kiwami has added elements that refer back to Yakuza 0, and Kiwami 2 is looking like it'll call back to 0 even more, so it's looking like the "intended" way now is to start with 0, for what it's worth.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

BioEnchanted posted:

No I mean if you're blind, video games don't have much to give you.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Misread your post. Now I feel silly. :shobon:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

BioEnchanted posted:

Misread your post. Now I feel silly. :shobon:

Yeah but you still had a valid point.

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER
loving mash the skip cutscene button as rapidly as possible, genre non-specific. If you want a real story read a book.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Olaf The Stout posted:

loving mash the skip cutscene button as rapidly as possible, genre non-specific. If you want a real story read a book.

:lol: what is this, 120?

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Olaf The Stout posted:

Pfft, I play games for the stories, even if some aren't as well written as others. I'll be on my PS25 at 75 years old hushing my Great-Nephews saying "Sssh. I'm trying to play mah stories. :reject:"

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

BioEnchanted posted:

Something that just hit me about the villains of Nier Automata, Adam and Eve: -

They think they are something beyond the machines, and appear to be until you ask yourself one simple question - "Adam, why are you wearing glasses? You're artificial, and your vision is designed to be perfect."

Adam and Eve are cargo culting harder than the machines are - the machines at least recognise what human ideas were for, even if purely cosmetic, their structures are functional and do what they are supposed to do, they can take shelter in their houses in case of weather, that kind of thing. Adam's copied city is just that - he blindly copied the City Ruins, but missed major aspects of what made it a city - the fact that the buildings are still usable if not as stable as they should be, the streets are all interlinked for easy navigation, it is built to be a city. Adam has missed this entirely, building blank facades with nothing of substance, it can't even hold itself up without him. The machines are better at cities than Adam is.

Adam mentions humans being interesting because of having concepts of life and death, religion and race, things that make them complex beyond machines - completely missing that the machines that are cut off from his network are prejudiced (The forest machines), have found not only religion, but a suicide cult showing they have knowledge of life and death (The factory machines). He's whining that he'll never be able to understand these concepts while the machines have mastered them. The machines are better at abstract thought than Adam is.

Adam and Eve have gone so cargo-cult that they have even got a dining table to sit at, despite not needing to eat and being unlikely to entertain guests. They are idiots with a lesser understanding of humanity than literally everyone else but with delusions of grandeur. All they ever were were servers created by the desert robots to centralize and protect their mainframe/network and they couldn't even do that right.

Also interesting final boss progression that just dawned on me:Ball Machine, Serpentine Machine, Corrupted Eve ->Ball Machine was the Apple of Good and Evil, Serpent Machine was the Snake, both together lead to corrupted Eve?

This is just about the read I had on things when I was where you are in the plot. I feel safe in telling you that you are wrong enough that it matters, but right enough that the next few puzzle pieces will slot nicely into place. Game's a bit of a gently caress about letting you think you have the info.

Also that's an excellent symbolic read, hadn't thought of it like that before.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Can we all at least agree that we want to **** 2B?

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Poops Mcgoots posted:

Can we all at least agree that we want to **** 2B?

Don't make it weird. They are a race of GI Joes anyway, as proven by Adam and Eve. Also, something made clearer by the second playthrough, I like that with each character's appearance, they are more and more clothed. First of all born totally nude, then wearing a pair of underpanta each, then wearing a pair of trousers during the Alien Bunker fight, then finally Adam appears dressing like an anime scientist.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Poops Mcgoots posted:

Yakuza Kiwami has added elements that refer back to Yakuza 0, and Kiwami 2 is looking like it'll call back to 0 even more, so it's looking like the "intended" way now is to start with 0, for what it's worth.

0 also does an important job of fleshing out the antagonist of Kiwami.

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

Olaf The Stout posted:

Nah.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Reading a book for the story is like eating a spoon because you like stupid arguments.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
What kind of dumb rear end in a top hat gets their stories from printed text. Listen to Homer tell it or GTFO.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

John Murdoch posted:

What kind of dumb rear end in a top hat gets their stories from printed text. Listen to Homer tell it or GTFO.

I'm not sure if you mean Homer Simpson or Homeros.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

The dark secret behind Beowulf is the passages that were too badly damaged to read from the stone weren't just worn away - they were deliberately omitted to be sold later. They were the original Paid Day 1 DLC.

Seedge
Jun 15, 2009
Hey, buddy. :glomp:

My favourite thing this gen is how satisfying it is to shoot flamethrower bad guys in the backpack.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
Battlefield 1 just came out with its Russian themed DLC. One of the things it gives the Cavalry is a lance which allows you to stab enemies and carry them along with you for a bit. It's very satisfying to pull off and absolutely terrifying to round a corner and see it coming towards you.

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

I've been playing some saint's row 4 and when you finish any minigame the boss does like a dance while its giving you your score. They probably did that in 3 but I can't remember. Overall I preferred when you were a sociopathic monster in saint's row 2 but your character looks like they're having so much fun its really endearing.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
More fun, less mercy killings. :buddy:

Also, I'm impressed at the sheer amount of enemies Destiny 2 throws at you, especially combined with the fantastic console performance. Similar to DOOM they're not, technically, huge crowds of monsters but the enemy being so agile and the spawns being so fluid (kill one guy and his replacement is already barrelling towards you) makes them feel much more numerous than they actually are.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Just done 33% of the sidequests in Automata, and I've got 42% of the weapons so far. I'm just at the point in the second playthrough where I've told the commander about the dead aliens.

Sidequest chat: Wow the H series is hosed up (the subject of the Amnesia sidequest), I feel bad for her. I also love the recluse chain where by the end the kid's shyness has become just an excuse to make harder and harder puzzle locks for 9S to break through, that's cute :3:. Also I did not see the ending of the Wandering Couple quest coming. The Genuis Inventor's quest was worth the ~200000 money I poured into it though, another rather funny ending.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

BioEnchanted posted:

Don't make it weird.

He's paraphrasing a line from the game.

BioEnchanted posted:

Sidequest chat: Wow the H series is hosed up (the subject of the Amnesia sidequest), I feel bad for her. I also love the recluse chain where by the end the kid's shyness has become just an excuse to make harder and harder puzzle locks for 9S to break through, that's cute :3:. Also I did not see the ending of the Wandering Couple quest coming. The Genuis Inventor's quest was worth the ~200000 money I poured into it though, another rather funny ending.
I think you mean the E series if you're referring to the android in that quest whose purpose is to execute rogue androids.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Was watching a friend play Prey, after I had already beaten it. At one point, for a quest, you need to get into a room to grab a keycard off a corpse. There's no way to get a keycard for the room, and the only ways in were through a tiny window that you couldn't fit through and a cleaning droid that came by every half hour (in real time, I think). The only thing I could think of, short of waiting, was turning into a mug and squeezing in. My friend took one look at the room from the window, said "oh yeah I can use the dart gun", fired through the window and hit a button to open the door. I couldn't believe I had completely forgotten what is essentially a useless gag weapon otherwise.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Abhorrence posted:

That's a surprisingly subtle biblical reference from a japanese writer.

There's a subset of Japan that loves Judeo-Christianity just as much as a subset of the west loves ninjas.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Morpheus posted:

Was watching a friend play Prey, after I had already beaten it. At one point, for a quest, you need to get into a room to grab a keycard off a corpse. There's no way to get a keycard for the room, and the only ways in were through a tiny window that you couldn't fit through and a cleaning droid that came by every half hour (in real time, I think). The only thing I could think of, short of waiting, was turning into a mug and squeezing in. My friend took one look at the room from the window, said "oh yeah I can use the dart gun", fired through the window and hit a button to open the door. I couldn't believe I had completely forgotten what is essentially a useless gag weapon otherwise.

The description for the weapon actually states that the bolts are capacitive and will trigger buttons. I just love the reason the Crossbow exists is because of course someone's going to create a Nerf gun with a Fabricator that can make literally anything with raw materials. The reason you find several of them throughout the station is because drat-near everyone has shared the blueprint for it.

Neddy Seagoon has a new favorite as of 17:00 on Sep 7, 2017

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

I get the feeling I didn't use the dart gun even one quarter what I could have- just a few buttons here and there and relying on morph to get though all those lovely broken doors.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Just Offscreen posted:

I get the feeling I didn't use the dart gun even one quarter what I could have- just a few buttons here and there and relying on morph to get though all those lovely broken doors.
There's a buncha places you can only get in using it if you're doing a human only run

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy
You can also use a Typhon ability that lets you interact with keypads, buttons, and other objects from afar. That's what I usually do in cases like that, but damnit I've been carrying around this useless Huntress Boltcaster for nearly the entire game and I haven't found a use for it once. Wish I would have thought of that trick! :mad:

Something I realized yesterday in Prey, an on topic little thing (mid-game sidequest spoilers) I came across the cook in the Crew Quarters raving on about killing mind-controlled humans "PUPPETS!" and as I got closer he eventually told me his name, Will Mitchell. At the time I was too low level and short on ammo to take on the Telepath in my way so I moved on. A few hours later I'm in Cold Storage and looking through the security monitor for survivors, and I notice that Will Mitchell is listed as deceased. Hmm, that's weird. Then, about 30 minutes later, I reach the point in the story where Danielle Sho asks you to avenge her partner's death at the hands of a man in the kitchen posing as the head cook. I had to put the game down for the night right around that point, but now I'm really looking forward to doubling back and handling that little situation.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Just Offscreen posted:

It's great at killing the cystoid nests, since the dart impacting the nest will trigger its self-destruct, and then the cystoids that come out will chase the dart and try to suicide bomb it. When I figured that out it saved me so much ammo.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Since the dart makes a squeaky noise on impact it's also good for a quick distraction.

TontoCorazon has a new favorite as of 18:45 on Sep 7, 2017

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

timp posted:

You can also use a Typhon ability that lets you interact with keypads, buttons, and other objects from afar. That's what I usually do in cases like that, but damnit I've been carrying around this useless Huntress Boltcaster for nearly the entire game and I haven't found a use for it once. Wish I would have thought of that trick! :mad:

Something I realized yesterday in Prey, an on topic little thing (mid-game sidequest spoilers) I came across the cook in the Crew Quarters raving on about killing mind-controlled humans "PUPPETS!" and as I got closer he eventually told me his name, Will Mitchell. At the time I was too low level and short on ammo to take on the Telepath in my way so I moved on. A few hours later I'm in Cold Storage and looking through the security monitor for survivors, and I notice that Will Mitchell is listed as deceased. Hmm, that's weird. Then, about 30 minutes later, I reach the point in the story where Danielle Sho asks you to avenge her partner's death at the hands of a man in the kitchen posing as the head cook. I had to put the game down for the night right around that point, but now I'm really looking forward to doubling back and handling that little situation.

I wonder if he will still be in the kitchen, actually. I was able to kill the Telepath right there and then so things might go a bit differently for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

timp posted:

Spoilers on that quest:
You can find an audio log from Will Mitchell in his room in the Crew Quarters, and he neither sounds nor looks anything like the man claiming to be him. That's what tipped me off.