Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Here's this week's drop.

Switch
ACA NeoGeo Blue's Journey | NA | PAL | $7.99 / £6.29 / €6.99 (eShop Only)
Double Dragon IV | NA | PAL | $6.99 / £8.59 / €9.49 (eShop Only)
Lego Worlds | NA | PAL | $39.99 / £24.99 / €29.99 (eShop / Retail) (September 5 NA / September 8 PAL)
Lichtspeer: Double Speer Edition | NA | PAL | $9.99 / £8.99 / €9.99 (eShop Only)
NeuroVoider | NA | PAL | $13.99 / £12.99 / €13.99 (eShop Only)
Physical Contact 2048 | NA | PAL | $4.99 / £4.49 / €5.00 (eShop Only)
Rayman Legends: Definitive Edition | NA | PAL | $39.99 / £ ? / € ? (eShop / Retail) (September 12)
The Binding of Isaac: Afterbirth+ | PAL | £35.99 / €39.99 (eShop / Retail) (September 7 PAL)
The Bridge | NA | PAL | $9.99 / £8.99 / €9.99 (eShop Only)

I've no idea why Double Dragon IV is so expensive in PAL region.

Rayman Legends is dropping on Tuesday next week, while PAL are finally getting Binding of Isaac: Afterbirth+ (although we've been able to download it from the eShop using an NA account anyway).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turnways
Jun 22, 2004

SeANMcBAY posted:

https://twitter.com/nintendoamerica/status/905541376867258368
What's up with this tweet? Is Nintendo Power coming back or something?

This reminds me of those old Super Power Club cards you'd get with each issue of Nintendo Power back in the day.

turnways fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Sep 6, 2017

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Since Splatoon 2 and Mario XCOM weren't REALLY 2 player I got RBI Baseball.

I think it owns. I like arcade baseball and was never a fan of 2K/The Show because they were too hard to casually play.

And next week is Rayman Legends and the next week is Pokken.

We went from no games to ALL THE GAMES pretty drat quick.

Love that Switch.

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT
Sucks that Double Dragon 4 looks like a dud. I was hoping with Arc System Works doing it they'd fix it up like they did with Contra

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy
There hasn't been a single Double Dragon game in recorded history that wasn't mediocre/bad. I don't know why you'd expect the modern reboot to be anything but terrible.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Al Borland Corp. posted:

It's a repeat of stages you already played

But with a character who's more fun to use - faster, more versatile, and more demanding.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Bill Barber posted:

There hasn't been a single Double Dragon game in recorded history that wasn't mediocre/bad. I don't know why you'd expect the modern reboot to be anything but terrible.

double dragon neon, you loving SWINE

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Plague Knight is the most fun I've had with a platformer in ages. His movement options are weird but super fun when you get the hang of them, and the bomb mixing is a neat mechanic. And then when you get the pandemonium cloak you get to go crazy with all sorts of dumb mixes. I found him way more interesting to play as than Shovel or Spectre Knight.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

DoctorWhat posted:

But with a character who's more fun to use - faster, more versatile, and more demanding.

Fixed

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Bill Barber posted:

Double Dragon neon is awesome

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Plague Knight's controls did not click for me, and I kept falling down bottomless pits in the Lich Yard, so I gave up. I really liked Specter Knight though.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

More fun is subjective for sure, but there's no argument that Plague Knight is more versatile. Just because someone is bad at the movement doesn't change the options available.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Bongo Bill posted:

Plague Knight's controls did not click for me, and I kept falling down bottomless pits in the Lich Yard, so I gave up. I really liked Specter Knight though.

Yeah, this is me, too. I might try it again once I stop being obsessed with MXCOM.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Internet Kraken posted:

Plague Knight is the most fun I've had with a platformer in ages. His movement options are weird but super fun when you get the hang of them, and the bomb mixing is a neat mechanic. And then when you get the pandemonium cloak you get to go crazy with all sorts of dumb mixes. I found him way more interesting to play as than Shovel or Spectre Knight.

Spectre Knight is cool but man, his wall cling makes the PS1 Spider-Man game look polished. I know you can hold Down to disable it but they should have mapped cling (or not-cling) to a shoulder button to improve the experience.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Infinitum posted:

Starlink might scratch your No Man's Sky itch?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZpTlQG6c3lE

I'm just hoping you don't need to buy all that extra accessory bullshit

This game looks very cool but gently caress you if you think I'm buying all those tchotchkes Ubisoft. The game had better be playable without them or I am pirating their NFC poo poo like Dr Tim Whatley pirates amiibos.

I agree a switch port for no man's sky would be sweet. The latest update makes it a good game finally, and I'd take reduced visuals to ply it on the go.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Mario XCOM is so loving good you guys, it's ridiculous. Like if you said to me last year a Rabbids X Mario game was going to be good, I would have laughed in your face.

If you like XCOM at all you should def buy it.

Just unlocked Rabbid Mario and he's a beast with a shotgun :allears:

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Any word on whether Sonic Mania is good?

I honestly can't get into Mario v Rabbids enough to play it for long stretches (although I like it fine as a one-level-at-a-time type thing) and am looking into similar travel time-wasters

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

loquacius posted:

I honestly can't get into Mario v Rabbids enough to play it for long stretches (although I like it fine as a one-level-at-a-time type thing) and am looking into similar travel time-wasters

Yes, it's very good and equal to Sonic 3 & Knuckles in goodness imo.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

loquacius posted:

Do you like the genesis era Sonic games y/n

If yes, Mania is for you. If not, then no.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I do indeed, tyvm :tipshat:

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Sonic Mania is good enough that I, someone who never owned a Sonic game and found them impossible and terrible for so many years, am actually enjoying it and getting through the levels/worlds.

I mean, I still think the characters control like they're drunk, but I appreciate it more than I ever imagined it and am happy with the money spent.

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?
I just picked it up since I have a bunch of Amazon funbux sitting around and I'm going to try it in a little bit here.

I'm putting my skepticism aside, seeing as how some of the Sonic Generations 2D levels were actually fun and I liked the original Sonic games well enough when I was little enough not to know good games from poo poo. I'm ready for an okay Sonic game.

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Oxygen Deficiency posted:

Switch plus travel update:

Status = Switch good

I've travelled on a 6 hour flight and had my switch the entire time. It was awesome as hell. Zelda was the star of the flight, the only part that sucked was doing a shrine that required motion controls but you can just disconnect the right joy con and it works okay.

Mario + Rabbids is so amazingly perfect for long flights, it kept me occupied for hours.

Sonic Mania is really fun. Flights do not make blue balls any easier to do. :(

I have another 6 hour flight today and am planning on more Rabbids and also probably some shovel knight.

My hotel room tv had a HDMI connection so bringing my dock was a great idea. Played splatoon2 on hotel Wi-Fi and finally got to profreshional in salmon run. :dance:

I unfortunately didn't attend any rooftop bbqs so my review of those will have to wait.

It's a very powerful tool in passing the time at airports/on a plane.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

iajanus posted:

I mean, I still think the characters control like they're drunk, but I appreciate it more than I ever imagined it and am happy with the money spent.

Imagine the characters as bowling balls. Heavy and hard to get moving initially, and strong momentum once it gets going. The moment-to-moment challenges in levels usually are a task in the player operating around building this momentum or navigating around with it. It's very much a game about controls and pushing you to operate in different ways with them.

That and the occasional :krad: speed section where you whiz by everything and it looks cool

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

SeANMcBAY posted:

https://twitter.com/nintendoamerica/status/905541376867258368
What's up with this tweet? Is Nintendo Power coming back or something?

Never forget the most memorable Chrom moment.

How he got punched so hard by Captain Falcon he was disqualified from competing in Smash Bros. for all time.

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

has anyone sent in their pro controller and gotten a it fixed?

or should i just sell it and get something better

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Ventana posted:

Imagine the characters as bowling balls. Heavy and hard to get moving initially, and strong momentum once it gets going. The moment-to-moment challenges in levels usually are a task in the player operating around building this momentum or navigating around with it. It's very much a game about controls and pushing you to operate in different ways with them.

That and the occasional :krad: speed section where you whiz by everything and it looks cool

Oh definitely; it's trying any of the bits where speed isn't an option and finesse is required that make me want to throw a joycon through the wall. Also some of the enemies are just a pain to interact with. Speed sections are indeed :krad:

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

so is RBI Baseball really that awful, or just bad compared to other baseball games that don't exist on a handheld?

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

baram. posted:

has anyone sent in their pro controller and gotten a it fixed?

or should i just sell it and get something better

What, the D-pad thing? That's a design flaw, there's no fixing it (through Nintendo anyway.) Maybe the internet has come up with something by now?

I tried adding varying thicknesses of electrical tape to partially block the contacts near the cross section and it basically wasn't worth it -- one layer hardly did anything, while two layers made the D-pad feel extremely good but also rendered it extremely hard to activate.

Options are train your thumb to press gently, deal with wrong inputs, or ditch it.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Those "people with accents" voicing the original Xenoblade Chronicles are actually some pretty big names in British television and theater, because Nintendo US said "gently caress no" to localizing it (along with The Last Story and Pandora's Tower), so Nintendo EU did all three themselves just because they could. Hence none of the usual US VA's.

One you might recognise is Melia's VA; Jenna Coleman.

Those people are also doing the voice work for FFXIV. Alphinaud's VA is Shulk. Sadly, none of the lalafells (or roegadeyns) have Riki's voice. Riki sneaky

The game was just so drat good. Gaur Plain and Zanza are probably my favorite tracks.

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

I got Xenoblade for the 3DS thinking I was going to play the gently caress out of it and then never actually sat down to get into it, this is tempting me to though

still need to finish bravely second first though

Hell I need to finish Brave Default. I unlocked Vampire, setup my chemist JP(?) grind squad and hammered out half a dozen class masteries for people... and then got distracted by other games. I barely ever started EO4 as well. I might've hit level 10 in that before I realized I was about to spend 50+ hours on another EO game and put it down.

Golden Goat posted:

Tatsu and Lin were bad.

Very few characters in XCX weren't bad, but their :shepface: faces didn't help either.

Bill Barber posted:

Super Double Dragon was fine.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Double Dragon II was cool at the time because of coop. I was never a huge fan though since I didn't get into beat em ups until Streets of Rage 1 and 2 which are much much better.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Tales of Woe posted:

so is RBI Baseball really that awful, or just bad compared to other baseball games that don't exist on a handheld?

It's MLB exercising their right to make a first party baseball title, because otherwise only the PS4 will have a yearly licensed baseball game.

Unless you buy RBI, 'The Show™ 2017' is the only game in town.

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
How the gently caress am I supposed to kill 14 rabbids in 3 turns for this world 1 challenge? Nobody told me this game would be hard.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Honestly I don't think most of the XCX cast was bad, just mediocre. Most of them probably could of been fine characters if the game fleshed them out more. But you know, its hard to do that when you have over 20 loving characters and the game is forcing you to use 2 of them in every story mission. Also in the worst decision you could possibly make for an RPG with a huge cast of party members, inactive members do not gain exp. So the result is you'll use Lin and Elma along with a handful of other members while ignoring everyone else. Unless you're willing to grind a ton there's no way to keep everyone up to speed.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
New F-Zero Concept Art revealed in interview unearths shocking secret.

Captain Falcon smoked fukkin' stogies.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Fun Times! posted:

How the gently caress am I supposed to kill 14 rabbids in 3 turns for this world 1 challenge? Nobody told me this game would be hard.

Respec your dudes so that they have the most dashes and (with Mario) the jumps. Use Rabbid Luigi too. Maybe even Rabbid Mario since he can suck everyone in and you can do a big burst shot at once. I don't remember the layout of that. But that mix, especially the double dashes and the stare attacks you can defeat them pretty easily. That being said, I also didn't come back and do the challenges until after I started world 3, so most things died in 1 hit, especially to dash attacks

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

This stuff better get translated. I miss this kinda thing. Iwata Asks owned.:(

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

gently caress, Nintendo still does developer interviews even though Iwata is no longer with us? How many have I missed? Why aren't they translating them?

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vrlMxtLPiCI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Man I can't field for poo poo in RBI Baseball. Every single becomes a triple because either I can't see where my guy is running during a popup or I'm not controlling the person I think I will when it's hit and the other guy just fuckin' stands there staring. What a frustrating experience.

Also why the hell doesn't it remember team selections, screw the Cubs and tribe I wanna play SF/Dodgers forever

• Locked thread