Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
It's either her rear end or her friend's rear end she revealed in an article i read last week. Can't remember which one they went with.

rear end snipe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
I dig the hell out of "Los Ageless," though.

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

I like both of her new songs, but drat she tries hard to be weird. Just keep making good music and not force some odd persona through.

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY

Slandible posted:

I like both of her new songs, but drat she tries hard to be weird. Just keep making good music and not force some odd persona through.

She is lifting from Bowie who she is obsessed with by doing the whole "reinvent yourself every album and display a certain aesthetic" thing... that's all. I find it fun.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Mutemath finally dropped the single I've been hoping they would:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Od1MT-g6w8E

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

New song I like from a Vancouver indie band

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-05Q0pITIj8

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

ASK ME ABOUT BEING A GROWNUP WHO FUCKS A REAL DOLL
I don't understand the appeal of mac demarco. Am I too old?

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY

GoldfishStew posted:

Bright guitar tones with good riffs, a smooth distinct voice, good love song lyrics, goofy vibe. Probably too old.

Also, is Protomartyr good live anyone? Debating going to see them.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

T Bowl posted:

Bright guitar tones with good riffs, a smooth distinct voice, good love song lyrics, goofy vibe. Probably too old.

Also, is Protomartyr good live anyone? Debating going to see them.

They're what you'd expect them to be. The vocalist is immobile. They sound tight.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

GoldfishStew posted:

my mum loves him and she's 60

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches

GoldfishStew posted:

I think his music is fine. I can't get over the way he looks. Come at me.

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

ASK ME ABOUT BEING A GROWNUP WHO FUCKS A REAL DOLL
Mac to me just sounds like poo poo from the 70s that would have been completely ignored but because he moved to Brooklyn and has a gap in his teeth he's neat.

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY

GoldfishStew posted:

Mac to me just sounds like poo poo from the 70s that would have been completely ignored but because he moved to Brooklyn and has a gap in his teeth he's neat.

If this were true literally hundreds and hundreds of losers in Brooklyn would be famous.

Also, can you give some examples of these 70s acts you speak of?

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

I dont like Mac Demarco as a musician but Salad Days might be one of my favourite albums. People tell me that Demarco is "jangle pop" but I have no idea what that means and that genre name is stupid. I put on Salad Days and I have a good time. There's something about that album that's discretely sinister while at the same time being poppy and accessible. It's like listening to great music when you got a fever. This doesn't seem derivative to the music of the 1970's, its fresh.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Is this the thread where I talk about how loving awesome the new Death From Above 1979 album is?

because holy poo poo are these guys just getting better with every release.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Laserface posted:

Is this the thread where I talk about how loving awesome the new Death From Above 1979 album is?

because holy poo poo are these guys just getting better with every release.
Yeeeeeeeeeeah. I listened to the new National album and the new DFA back to back. New National’s okay, but the new DFA? Fuuuuuuuck, that’s one of my favorite records of the year after only one listen, no question.

They consistently do that dirty sound better than anyone. On this one in particular, it feels like Jesse perfectly replicated Kurt Cobain’s signature gnarly guitar tone but on bass. It’s just so impressive to hear.

I need to listen to this loving thing again.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

The new Queens of the Stone Age album was such a loving letdown for me and this DFA album is more like what I wish it had been. Oh well, at least I'm getting that kind of sound from somewhere this year.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Yeeeeeeeeeeah. I listened to the new National album and the new DFA back to back. New National’s okay, but the new DFA? Fuuuuuuuck, that’s one of my favorite records of the year after only one listen, no question.

They consistently do that dirty sound better than anyone. On this one in particular, it feels like Jesse perfectly replicated Kurt Cobain’s signature gnarly guitar tone but on bass. It’s just so impressive to hear.

I need to listen to this loving thing again.

They really loving smash it out of the park. Its such an amazing fusion of funk, metal, rock, disco and pop.

one listen on the new album and its a loving hoot. much stronger than the last album, which was already great.

angrygodofjebus
Aug 25, 2005

Drink it up and hunker down

The new Queens of the Stone Age album was such a loving letdown for me and this DFA album is more like what I wish it had been. Oh well, at least I'm getting that kind of sound from somewhere this year.

New QOTSA was definitely a let down. A couple of great tracks, but at least so far, definitely my least favorite album they've put out.

Absolutely love the new LCD album. Gonna be listening to how do you sleep? forever.

New Mutemath is good, and now I will have to listen to this new DFA album.

e: new DFA bangs, really good.

angrygodofjebus fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Sep 8, 2017

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"
Didn't like new The National album on the first listen, but it has since grown on me.

New Alvvays is good. LCD is amazing. QoTSA is okay. Grizzly Bear is still awesome.

Have the new DFA queued up, along with new Zola Jesus, which is apparently real good too.

So much great music this year, it is nuts!

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Regarding DFA

Never Swim Alone is easily one of the top 5 tracks the bands has ever done.

https://youtu.be/-ZGqA14oQCQ

Perfect song for gym.

stoops
Jun 11, 2001

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Regarding DFA

Perfect song for gym.

That's the track I hated the most. It's like weezer joined DFA. The record is solid, I think my favorites are moonlight and Never Forever

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

stoops posted:

That's the track I hated the most. It's like weezer joined DFA. The record is solid, I think my favorites are moonlight and Never Forever
How do you figure? If Weezer in 2017 sounded anything close to DFA, I’d be all over them instead of moving past them because they already reached their creative peak long ago.

Captain_Person
Apr 7, 2013

WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR, IF NOT FOR THE CARE OF THE REAPER MAN?
Laneway Festival, my bottom-of-the-world indie music festival, has just announced its first lineup for 2018:

quote:

Aldous Harding, Amy Shark, Anderson .Paak & The Free Nationals, BADBADNOTGOOD, BAYNK, Billie Eilish, Bonobo, Connan Mockasin,D.D Dumbo, Die! Die! Die!, Father John Misty, Loyle Carner, Mac DeMarco, Melodownz, Moses Sumney, Polyester, POND, Rolling Blackouts Coastal Fever, (Sandy) Alex G, Slowdive, Sylvan Esso, The Internet, The War on Drugs, TOKiMONSTA, Unitone HiFi, Wolf Alice

It's always been a fun source of new music for me so hopefully there's some new gems this time too. If you haven't listened to Aldous Harding yet to check her out ASAP.

Captain_Person fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Sep 11, 2017

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

That's a hell of a lineup :worship:

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

stoops posted:

Outrage is now (the song) or Statues are both skippable IMO.

I listened to it all day yesterday while working on my car and then twice again on the commute to work. Those were the only two songs I found myself not enjoying as much as the others.

Favorite is either Nomad or Caught Up.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Uhh, so I just got out of seeing Modest Mouse for the second time and I was definitely not aware of what a wide variety of stuff they’ve been playing lately.

Get a load of this setlist:

• Cowboy Dan
• 3rd Planet
• Invisible
• Float On
• The Ground Walks With Time In A Box
• Grey Ice Water
• This Devil’s Workday
• Satin In A Coffin
• Dashboard
• poo poo In Your Cut
• Sugar Boats
• Paper Thin Walls
• Talking poo poo About A Pretty Sunset
• Lampshades On Fire
• Fly Trapped In A Jar

Encore:
• Night On The Sun
• The Best Room
• The World At Large
• A Different City

I LOST MY poo poo MULTIPLE TIMES. Especially for Talking poo poo About A Pretty Sunset. Like WHAT?! That was the last song I expected them to play :psyboom:

I’ve only been wanting to see that song performed live for like 13 years now. Night On The Sun too. And Grey Ice Water. Like Jesus, they actually did what you hope most bands do but they really don’t which is play stuff from their whole career as opposed to just new stuff. They played way more classic stuff than they did new stuff!

sout
Apr 24, 2014

Uhh, so I just got out of seeing Modest Mouse for the second time and I was definitely not aware of what a wide variety of stuff they’ve been playing lately.

Get a load of this setlist:

• Cowboy Dan
• 3rd Planet
• Invisible
• Float On
• The Ground Walks With Time In A Box
• Grey Ice Water
• This Devil’s Workday
• Satin In A Coffin
• Dashboard
• poo poo In Your Cut
• Sugar Boats
• Paper Thin Walls
• Talking poo poo About A Pretty Sunset
• Lampshades On Fire
• Fly Trapped In A Jar

Encore:
• Night On The Sun
• The Best Room
• The World At Large
• A Different City

I LOST MY poo poo MULTIPLE TIMES. Especially for Talking poo poo About A Pretty Sunset. Like WHAT?! That was the last song I expected them to play :psyboom:

I’ve only been wanting to see that song performed live for like 13 years now. Night On The Sun too. And Grey Ice Water. Like Jesus, they actually did what you hope most bands do but they really don’t which is play stuff from their whole career as opposed to just new stuff. They played way more classic stuff than they did new stuff!

I love Modest Mouse but I've only ever really heard bad things about their live performances so I'm glad you enjoyed it.
Kinda wanna see them some day but they don't seem to have any international shows coming up.
They do play a lot of songs but there's still a couple cool tracks from the s/t album they've apparently only ever played once or twice, at least as far as setlist.fm says.

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

You'll stumble in my footsteps
I'm not much of a National guy, I like them more than love them. But I've had the new album on repeat since it dropped, love it.

They're playing Manchester in two weeks and I'm gutted I didn't get tickets. My club night is doing a post-gig NYC night near the venue, hopefully we get some passing trade afterwards

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

sout posted:

I love Modest Mouse but I've only ever really heard bad things about their live performances so I'm glad you enjoyed it.

When I saw them the singer was such an rear end in a top hat that it kinda ruined their music for me. They were one of my favorite bands before that.

angrygodofjebus
Aug 25, 2005

When I saw them last year they didn't even play Float On.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Regarding DFA

Perfect song for gym.

This whole album is on fiyaaahhhhh

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

angrygodofjebus posted:

That’s one of their weaker songs, so you didn’t miss much. I bet half the crowd last night was there just to hear Float On. It’s like going to see Radiohead and only caring if they play Creep or going to see Nine Inch Nails just to see them play Closer. Yeah those songs were popular, but the majority of their songs are more interesting than those.

angrygodofjebus
Aug 25, 2005

I agree, it's just not common for a band not to play their most popular song by a wide margin. They closed with The World at Large and you can tell most of the crowd was like "wait that's the end?! Where's Float On???"

Team_q
Jul 30, 2007

GoldfishStew posted:

I don't like listening to Mac DeMarko, but I love this video of him walking around in France, encountering drunks and other local flavour, and noodling on a guitar.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5RSQaF0I2o

I'm going to see AJJ this weekend, and I'm super jazzed.

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!

angrygodofjebus posted:

So it was a great show.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

They do a great live version of Dance Hall, they did it both times I saw them and it was a ton of fun.

I think they got a reputation for doing bad shows back when Isaac Brock was completely wasted every time they played, but the shows I went to were fantastic - 2010 and 2011 I think.

CRINDY
Sep 23, 2010

forget about ur worries and ur strife
The new Ted Leo album seems to be going under the radar, which is a goddamn shame. It's loose and dark and harder than he normally goes and great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ieNMITLhtVE

Here's a deep dive from Stereogum in July that tells what's happened since The Brutalist Bricks. Short answer: debt after failed tour, wife's miscarriage and health issues, dropped from Matador, almost quit music entirely until Aimee Mann got him to do The Both, had to Kickstart the new record. I'm buying The Hanged Man when I get a chance.

https://www.stereogum.com/featured/ted-leo-is-like-you/

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Frank Turner puts on such an amazing live show, if he ever plays your city go see him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
New Destroyer track: "Tinseltown Swimming in Blood"

Also announced a handful of tour dates — full band this time; Dan did a solo tour last fall