Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

"Was there poop?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

GobiasIndustries posted:

Is the whole season gonna be about the election? Because the first episode was beyond cringe-worthy IMO and I sincerely don't want to watch a full season if it's gonna be full of election and Trump references.

I think it's been pretty well hinted at that it'd only be so big with it in the first episode to establish how the moment set off both Sarah Paulson and Evan Peters in completely different directions

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest

The Berzerker posted:

oh great she has trypophobia too

e: In the first five minutes, Trump wins the election and Evan Peters humps his TV while shouting USA USA USA and then puts a bag of Cheetos in a blender and wipes the orange mess all over his face. lol

this was so he had an orange face like trump

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Best episode of the show in quite some time.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Yeah, I liked it a lot.

So should we start taking bets on how many episodes before it drops in quality?

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

esperterra posted:

Yeah, I liked it a lot.

So should we start taking bets on how many episodes before it drops in quality?

2-3 more

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Depends on how many episodes until they reveal Allison Pill and the psychiatrist are part of Sarah Paulson's gaslighting.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I kind of wish her therapist was Zachary Quinto as a fun Aslyum ref. Then he could murder her for mommy's milk.

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

It was entertaining, but not at all scary. Hopefully it gets more Cult-y soon. The band of killer clowns looks promising.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Has AHS ever really been scary, though?

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.

esperterra posted:

Has AHS ever really been scary, though?

There have definitely been "scary" scenes throughout the show but scary isn't the best word to describe many of the horror elements of the show. I found a good bit of season one scary on first watch because was something new for television and I didn't know what to expect; along with season two, it's the most unsettling season. The scariest scenes are the ones that are the most real; the school shooting scene is probably the scariest in the whole show. Violet finding her own body is more sad than scary but will stick with you.

For all its many, many flaws and lack of focus, season three has some great stuff peppered throughout. The cold open is my all-time favorite scary scene; it's unnerving and, again, based on real events. Kathy Bates is terrifying. Imagine how much better season three would have been if they had just stayed in old New Orleans.

Of course scary is subjective. To some this is scary.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m2qEhGeLb6A

clown shoes fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Sep 6, 2017

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.
I've always thought that AHS isn't scary, but horrifying.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

stephen king has a good breakdown on what constitutes "scary:"

quote:

"The 3 types of terror: The Gross-out: the sight of a severed head tumbling down a flight of stairs, it's when the lights go out and something green and slimy splatters against your arm. The Horror: the unnatural, spiders the size of bears, the dead waking up and walking around, it's when the lights go out and something with claws grabs you by the arm. And the last and worse one: Terror, when you come home and notice everything you own had been taken away and replaced by an exact substitute. It's when the lights go out and you feel something behind you, you hear it, you feel its breath against your ear, but when you turn around, there's nothing there...

i'd argue that american horror story does well at the first two types. it takes a shotgun approach to horror and gross-out, including as many clowns, vampires, and ghosts as possible in hopes that something touches a cord with the audience. imo, ryan murphy and the rest of the show writers really don't have the patience for terror. it requires a lot of build-up and subtlety when the show seems more interested in rapid-fire pay-offs.

off the top of my head, i can't recall a single time that ahs has been terrifying. maybe one of the later scenes with sister eunice in asylum? the mother being terrorized by the vindictive mistress ghost in murder house?

QuoProQuid fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Sep 7, 2017

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Yes! it started!

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

QuoProQuid posted:

stephen king has a good breakdown on what constitutes "scary:"

i'd argue that american horror story does well at the first two types. it takes a shotgun approach to horror and gross-out, including as many clowns, vampires, and ghosts as possible in hopes that something touches a cord with the audience. imo, ryan murphy and the rest of the show writers really don't have the patience for terror. it requires a lot of build-up and subtlety when the show seems more interested in rapid-fire pay-offs.

off the top of my head, i can't recall a single time that ahs has been terrifying. maybe one of the later scenes with sister eunice in asylum? the mother being terrorized by the vindictive mistress ghost in murder house?

Honestly, terror just isn't the show's vibe, and that's fine. It's an over-the-top, fun "scary" show, not a legitimately scary one. This just becomes a problem when they gently caress even that up.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

This is the stupidest season I've ever seen and I love it.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
AHS is shocking if anything, not scary. Random clowns jerking off? Cmon fam

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.
Well, a lot of it is "scary" in the sense that the news is scary. Which I suppose is closest to Terror, in a King's vernacular.

For instance, the scene of the babysitter giving the little kid a "brain vaccine". It didn't make me feel scared, but it was pretty disturbing because it was one of the least over the top scenes. Unlike clown murder freak shows and Cheeto Trump gaslighting, things like that do indeed happen on a day to day basis. And it doesn't make people stronger. It's just traumatizing.

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

Got around to watching the episode, seems more Evil Dead 2 than exorcist because everything is kind of funny or is supposed to be funny but a ridiculous caricature. Like they're just twitter personalities.

I thought the name game song was kind of creepy because what you're looking at is someone's brain breaking. Like its fun and sister jude or whatever was a poo poo prior to fall but I wouldn't wish total psychological disintegration on anyone and that's whats going on. One of the things that struck me or maybe earlier is you know as a human you have a sympathy for people suffering even if its a nazi concentration camp doctor. That was interesting. I dunno if sympathy is possible for pure caricature.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
From now on gas lighting means lighting farts on fire because goons overuse it

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.
If you can't get enough Ryan Murphy and Sarah Paulson, man have I got news for you.
http://deadline.com/2017/09/ryan-mu...est-1202162878/

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

clown shoes posted:

If you can't get enough Ryan Murphy and Sarah Paulson, man have I got news for you.
http://deadline.com/2017/09/ryan-mu...est-1202162878/

I like Ryan Murphy's ideas so much but everything just turns out to be such a chore to get through.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I just watched the first episode of this, and christ on a loving bike when is Ryan Murphy going to stop getting work?

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

If we're lucky, never.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Like there's a lot of stuff I like about this, but holy poo poo it's loving misogynistic. I realize Ryan Murphy having issues with women is one of those obvious things like the sky being blue or fire being hot, but this season is approaching loving :mrapig: levels.

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

Grem posted:

I like Ryan Murphy's ideas so much but everything just turns out to be such a chore to get through.

feud was really good and dope but he only produced (? i think?) on that one

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Like there's a lot of stuff I like about this, but holy poo poo it's loving misogynistic. I realize Ryan Murphy having issues with women is one of those obvious things like the sky being blue or fire being hot, but this season is approaching loving :mrapig: levels.

It just started, tho. And what issues are you talking about? As a woman I haven't seen any worth writing home about, but I also wasn't looking.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

stone cold posted:

feud was really good and dope but he only produced (? i think?) on that one

I think he directed like with People vs OJ, but I don't think he was on the writing staff, or if he was he didn't do much.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Not too bad of a first episode. I think maybe the clowns and kai might not be related. Could be unrelated. I'm guessing the kid is adopted and is a young bloody face because he doesn't have his father.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

esperterra posted:

It just started, tho. And what issues are you talking about? As a woman I haven't seen any worth writing home about, but I also wasn't looking.

On a broader scale, this article sums it up pretty decently.

Speaking to Cult specifically, so far: two of the three female characters of any importance so far are passive, weak-willed Jill Stein voters. The third exists as a mouthpiece for Murphy to vent his rage about women voting for Jill Stein from. It really comes off like he's pretty much blaming women for the situation we're in, and that's an incredibly hosed up (and completely moronic) position to take on the issue. The fact that Valerie Solanas is showing up later in the season is causing me active dread, and not the kind they probably want me to feel from it.

e: like, if nothing's really sticking out to you that's perfectly fine, it's okay to enjoy things and I'm not here to try and stop you. I just went :shittypop: at this stuff because the internet has broken me, pretty much.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
There's exactly one Jill Stein voter on the show. :confused:

And Evan Peters literally humped a tv, covered his face in cheetoh dust and pissed in a condom and you think the depiction of stein voters is wonky

Edit: props on upholding the goon tradition though

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

idk, it seemed to me he was making fun of all sides in the premiere. I was expecting it to be preachy, but I don't think it was at all tbh.

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

Come to me .... and live forever.
Man, I've heard a lot of criticism about Ryan Murphy, most of it totally justified, but the idea that he dislikes women or makes them look stupid, that's a new one. He definitely plays into stereotypes to an annoying degree, but I've never felt it was overtly offensive. No more offensive than a guy rubbing Cheeto dust on his face, mimicking Trump's hands, and later being called a 4chan basement dweller by a city councilman. Frankly, that article reeks of the idea that it's misogynistic to show any flaws on a female character at all. And women have always survived as the heroes on every season of AHS.

Ally's crazy and irrational because she's crazy and irrational, not because she's a woman. Many liberals did blame each other in the wake of the election, including those who "wasted" their vote on Stein or didn't vote at all. Winter wanting a trigger warning before the results, now that's a classic over the top line that's obviously over the top (but then again, you see what some people say on twitter these days, maybe not so over the top.)

That being said, I don't have a lot of hope for this season at present. The pacing seems off. 70% of the episode was Ally screaming at things she didn't see ... or did she?! I'm not a big fan of that kind of storytelling. Winter's already showing the kid murder on the Darkweb, Ivy's already questioning her commitment to Ally, the clowns are already shown to be an actual gang of vicious murderers with over the top highly custom masks (which look great but aren't exactly indicative of the whole "random clowns in the woods" phenomenon.)

Kai is clearly the most interesting figure here, simply because we need to know what he's all about, and he definitely has the charisma so far. I have a weird feeling he and the clowns are separate entities, and I don't know that that would sit well. The enemy of my enemy is my friend sort of stuff.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

If there's one thing I know for sure about Ryan Murphy it's that he loving loves women, and he consistently gives actresses of all ages, shapes and sizes good roles and work, even when the shows themselves can be a little iffy.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

Ryan Murphy has the worst takes on social issues of any gay man I know. He made the gay character in Glee an insufferable twat because he wouldn't just be a normal character and had to be oppressed gay man why won't you make out with me non-gay man?!?!

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

True, but at least it's funny.

Also fwiw as a gay teen that was 100% me. Why won't you feel bad for me??? Why won't you love me, straight girl???

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I suspect he likes divas more than he likes women, but of course he likes women.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

That episode was loving garbage. It was like a South Park script found in a dumpster, full of the most lukewarm hot takes on nearly a year ago's current events, and then a few ok minutes of the same modern clown-masked psychopaths bullshit we've seen in The Strangers and Purge sequels. I have a high level of tolerance for nonsense but I finally found my limit with this show.

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn

Papa John Misty posted:

That episode was loving garbage. It was like a South Park script found in a dumpster, full of the most lukewarm hot takes on nearly a year ago's current events, and then a few ok minutes of the same modern clown-masked psychopaths bullshit we've seen in The Strangers and Purge sequels. I have a high level of tolerance for nonsense but I finally found my limit with this show.

😆

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Listen, I fully agree that I just watched one of the dumbest episodes of TV I have ever seen. But I'm committed to seeing every episode as it premieres because I want to see how deep the rabbit hole of Ryan Murphy's insanity goes.

• Locked thread