Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

you're getting paid to sit down and zone out instead of running around. it's basically a bonus
gently caress that, who works in a restaurant because they want to sit down and do nothing? Plenty of better paying jobs where you can do that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

how hard am i going to have to hit people to keep them from putting empty CO2 tanks where full ones go? second time we've had to call in an emergency CO2 delivery this summer.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Trebuchet King posted:

how hard am i going to have to hit people to keep them from putting empty CO2 tanks where full ones go? second time we've had to call in an emergency CO2 delivery this summer.

hit them with the empty tanks

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe

Mezzanon posted:

hit them with the empty tanks

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Trebuchet King posted:

Make them hit the Co2

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Meeting wasn't bad. It was basically the owners saying don't go to us if there is a problem go to the GM.

Problem is all the women will still run to Kori if something doesn't go there way. It's a never ending cycle.

I just sat there and laughed in my head knowing I've went full circle.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Full circle as in female servers you sexually harassed made complaints to the owners, then the GM, and now they're going back to the owners?

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
lol buddy that is not what happened at all. In fact I don't even know what you are talking about.

Everyone in the shop has just been gossiping and running off to the owners and the GM is like what the gently caress come to me.

It's stupid work politics. They do this every year after Labor Day.

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

yeah in fairness i don't think amahd is talking like a one on one meeting but like a full blown all-hands staff meeting

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Trebuchet King posted:

yeah in fairness i don't think amahd is talking like a one on one meeting but like a full blown all-hands staff meeting

Right but it's much more amusing to go with the other interpretation. Alternative facts bitch.

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe
So the owners do not get down, but the GM wants to get down? Get in.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007
The closest I got to real food service was drive through bitch/one reliable worker at a Taco Bell franchisee chain.

I lived a couple doors down from the district manager. He was from New York and relocated with his wife to western ky. He was also pretty stereotypical late 30s New York Italian, so I like to think he was ex-mob in witness protection. We shot the poo poo a fair bit and he knew I hated my minimum wage retail job, and that even though I talked a ton, he had to drag any job complaints out of me, so he offered me a position at one of his stores.

The managers told him about my reliability, RE: tills always counting down perfect, never being late, never calling in, and lack of people complaining their orders were wrong, so I ended up with a buck an hour raise and a new role, on-call fixit dude. Someone quit suddenly? Call Shiite, he'll be there in 20 and cover the shift. Out of beef and cups, Shiite will bring them! He also made sure I always got my 40 hours a week.

That being said, I wanted to chime in on the lexapro/right meds train from a couple of pages back. I've cut my drinking down from 6 nights a week to once a month since I got on my lexapro, and I've started with 10 mg. I think I want to try going up to 20, but I've seen a big difference already in how I feel.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
Chiming in on the drinking, I haven't had a drink in a month, and I don't need to. It's a very liberating feeling. Cutting out liquor for the next 6mos, let myself have a few beers on my Denver trip next week, but the desire to get smashed is just gone, because I could be doing better things.

Seriously dudes, get on brain drugs.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

Chiming in on the drinking, I haven't had a drink in a month, and I don't need to. It's a very liberating feeling. Cutting out liquor for the next 6mos, let myself have a few beers on my Denver trip next week, but the desire to get smashed is just gone, because I could be doing better things.

The Restaurant Industry Thread: Get on brain drugs

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Except for the bottle of tequila you chugged while brain dead.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Hey now. None of us are at our best when suffering a concussion.

Soon your liver will demand it's retribution and get you hungover after a quiet night with three beers if you don't drink enough water. Glorious thing, quitting over-imbibing.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Well, that was the last drink you see. My neurologist told me it'd be a good 6mos to a year before my brain can handle liquor but beer and wine should be fine. Still plan on taking it slowly.

poo poo, my liver demanded retribution after I had some cold brew coffee last night and not enough water before bed. Woke up with a nasty headache.

e: in other news, the interview I did yesterday for exec sous for a restaurant group turned into an interview for exec chef. I'm gonna go check out the current location tomorrow for a few hours, then take a look at the place under construction and go from there.

And I've still got a month of gently caress all to do before this collarbone is healed. I've lost so much weight by not drinking/overeating and spending an hour or two watching Netflix on the exercise bike its not even funny.

e2: I've considered staging at random restaurants I like to eat at just to have something to loving do that isn't beat all the games in my Steam backlog.

Chef De Cuisinart fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Sep 7, 2017

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Well, that was the last drink you see. My neurologist told me it'd be a good 6mos to a year before my brain can handle liquor but beer and wine should be fine. Still plan on taking it slowly.

What? How does that work? Alcohol that reaches your brain is alcohol, no matter what form it takes when you ingest it.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

The Midniter posted:

What? How does that work? Alcohol that reaches your brain is alcohol, no matter what form it takes when you ingest it.

ABV, basically. He said it was a pretty common side effect of multiple concussions. A shot of bourbon is going to hit you harder than drinking a 4-7% beer over 20mins.

cods
Nov 14, 2005

Oh snap-kins!
Cookin' goons, made it from NYC to LA! Signed lease this morning so I'm not homeless, and start job in Malibu tomorrow! The tacos here are primo.

All you little gooners out there take note. Quitting drinking(to excess/chef style) is the best thing I ever did for working in this industry. It actually makes it more tolerable and you better at your job. And then you start noticing how loving reliant people are on booze to get through their day and handle their problems. Also not being hungover ever day feels loving great, and once you remove yourself from. It for as little as a couple of weeks you realize how loving poison alcohol is, and how it really doesn't help you in a hot, firey, and dangerous work atmosphere and just makes poo poo worse.

cods fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Sep 7, 2017

CHUCK WAS TAKEN
Aug 1, 2004
this kid has heart
I think I have some kind of kindling effect from being physically dependent on alcohol at so many different points in my life, because a double scotch will leave me with a gently caress THIS WORLD CAN'T GET OUT OF BED hangover, but at least it makes me drink a whole lot less than almost all of my chef friends!

edit: I say almost all because one of them doesn't drink at all, but man oh man does he puff that bombazee

CHUCK WAS TAKEN fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Sep 8, 2017

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

look at this lil bro lyin to himself

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
I'm currently a bit in trouble with my job because of drinking. Haven't lost any shifts or anything.

But I guess it's fine that everyone else is hosed up on:

Weed, Pills, Marriage issues, child support, drinking, not showing up to work, paying us poo poo wages...

But me trying to have some cold ones after working 12 hour days IS THE PROBLEM. ..

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
Most of us don't have insurance you dick.

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Lol.

Bro, I'd rather die in the streets then bankrupt my family, because of medicinal coast...

Sad. But true.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

A Man and his dog posted:

I'm currently a bit in trouble with my job because of drinking. Haven't lost any shifts or anything.

Weed, Pills, Marriage issues, child support, drinking, not showing up to work, paying us poo poo wages...

But me trying to have some cold ones after working 12 hour days IS THE PROBLEM. ..

You're cans only, right? Were you ringing them up (either paying for or comping them, if allowed)? loving with inventory is a huge no-no.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

PSA for everybody: if you're thinking of quitting alcohol (and good on you!), if you've been a heavy drinker for a while you might want to consult a doctor for advice on quitting alcohol safely. Going cold turkey is a bad idea. Alcohol is one of very few drugs where if you're physically addicted withdrawal can actually be fatal.

Getting off the sauce is a great idea! Please take care to do it safely!

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Where are you drinking that it is causing a problem?

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Where are you drinking that it is causing a problem?

At guests' tables, during service

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

Hyperlynx posted:

PSA for everybody: if you're thinking of quitting alcohol (and good on you!), if you've been a heavy drinker for a while you might want to consult a doctor for advice on quitting alcohol safely. Going cold turkey is a bad idea. Alcohol is one of very few drugs where if you're physically addicted withdrawal can actually be fatal.

Yeah. When I quit drinking heavily, I scaled back. I am now having a drink once every 2-3 weeks, which is good.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Hyperlynx posted:

this is true. a good friend of mine's mother died this way. she got alcoholism shamed, stopped cold turkey out of love for her family and embarrassment, and died in her sleep that night. completely hosed.

El Padrino
Dec 24, 2005

No es nada personal, solo negocios.
Jesus, that's a bad end :smith:

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Drinking off work at my home.

I mostly blame my roommate for this poo poo cause she works with me, and tells management.

Pretty annoying cause I don't and two what I do at home has nothing to do with work.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

I mostly blame my roommate for this poo poo cause she works with me, and tells management.

Pretty annoying cause I don't and two what I do at home has nothing to do with work.

Get a new room mate.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

Are you showing up still drunk to work? If not then that's hosed but I guess your work could take exception to you being brutally hungover once too often since you are FoH. But yeah,

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Get a new room mate.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
I don't understand how any employer would give a poo poo that someone gets drunk on their own time.

odinson
Mar 17, 2009
Was it before or after work?

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
Went to the middle-of-nowhere bar where one of our regulars works for the first time. It's got something like 9 co-owners, mostly farmers who just want a place to drink, and it makes no money whatsoever it's perpetually for sale. Our regular knows it, and doesn't give a gently caress about her job as a result. I ordered a whisky neat. This is what she served me (photo taken after my first sip):

She did not charge us for our drinks. drat good thing I had a DD.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

Oldsrocket_27 posted:

It's got something like 9 co-owners

hell is multiple owners

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

Brain drugs are good and cool. Drinking is fun too, but can easily gently caress your world up.

School started back up, so I'm back in o my lunch service every Friday. Normally I'm at work by 7 for an 11-1 lunch since I'm basically a one-man prep, cook, and serve show. And I have to build my kitchen.

I broke my "don't go out drinking on Thursday night rule" this past week, and rolled in at 9. Still opened on time, but It was by the skin of my teeth.

Plus side, I've got a regular solo bartender shift this semester. Since my earliest class is 11am. Much better tip out than lunch.