Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
By the way, if anyone is interested in reading a bit about Stormlands, the Sawyer profile on US Gamer and the just-released Blood, Sweat and Pixels book from Jason Schreier (a Kotaku reporter) have some info on it. The book has an extract on Amazon, the first few pages, and it touches on the game briefly before it moves on to Pillars of Eternity.

Going from the descriptions, I certainly hope the overall direction gets revisited one day, though hopefully with a clearer and more cohesive vision, because the idea of visiting a bunch of really weird Justin Cherry paintings appeals to me a lot. Pity the guy is not at Obsidian anymore, but I'm sure they still have artists that can come up with compelling and visually out there ideas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Count Uvula posted:

Rogues want literally every stat, so it depends a lot on what the rest of your team is. If you're looking for a basic burst damage assassiny character you want high perception followed by high might. Resolve and dexterity are the next two most important things. You can do a counter-attack based rogue by prioritizing resolve.

I like Path of the Damned and it's doable with pretty much any party comp but it depends a lot on how technically minded you are :shrug:

If it helps any, I'm retarded. I'd like to make a swashbuckler rogue type of dude, that dual wields and ripostes. So not a complete glass cannon or assassin type of character.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

VideoGames posted:

There was a report asking for the thread to be closed, gassed and restarted

lol who is this delicate flower

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Node posted:

If it helps any, I'm retarded. I'd like to make a swashbuckler rogue type of dude, that dual wields and ripostes. So not a complete glass cannon or assassin type of character.

Oh sure. Pump up your might and resolve then, for the damage and increased deflection. Perception and constitution are both more important than dex since you get free attacks. Riposte is your bread and butter and you get it at level 5, and then there's a buckler (Aila Braccia) that lets you reflect projectiles which is wildly overpowered, but dual wielding works out perfectly fine since riposte does an attack with each weapon when counter-attacking.

For party members, wizards and ciphers both provide a lot of utility for your rogue to take advantage of, and a paladin with the +deflection aura and Outworn Buckler will boost the deflection of your whole party.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I'm a Muslim guy and I'd have been very uncomfortable spending money on a game that had material written by a guy who wants to see me dead okay that's my hot take thanks

Chairchucker posted:

I'm keeping this baby

Same. I'm hoping that there's storyline stuff for those of us who decided to do so :)

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

Node posted:

The two best ways to make that character are, not kidding, barbarian and monk.

Rogues aren't front liners. They never will be. Their riposte talent is honestly just not amazing, in part because of stuff like their native low deflection, but also the best way to raise your deflection - use a shield - is also the fastest way to make your rogue talents way, WAY less potent - by removing your full attack. The workaround is to use one of...well, two shields, that have bash (there's a third, but it's not for rogues). And doing that means your non-full attack damage just got halved. They are assassins who stick to the sidelines and flanks and try to maneuver themselves to the back row to start stabbing squishier targets. They're also, uh, not like...amazing at it. But it's what they're best at.

No, you want a barbarian or a monk.

Barbarian: This is kind of a weird one but it also works hilariously well. You're going to be making a tank, uh, kinda. Max dexterity and intelligence, and...that's it. That's all that TRULY matters. I mean, from there, you can tweak your stats around as you see fit, but Dex + Int are your main stats. Now, for awhile, you're going to be Mostly OK. Not terrible! Just Mostly OK. You can use what you want weapon-wise, though you will want weapon and shield style (how can you be a swashbuckler with no buckler?) and weapon focus noble (for your fancy rapier, of course!). Everything changes when you reach the White March, however, and get the rapier of Spelltongue from inside Durgan's Battery.

Spelltongue has a fun effect - every time you hit an enemy, THEY lose attack speed, YOU gain additional duration to all your buffs.

"Cirno, but wait, if I'm a barbarian-" yes. It acts through carnage, too.

Congratulations - any and every buff you put on your barbarian now effectively lasts the entire combat. Potions, frenzy, stalwart defiance, spells, items - everything is effected by Spelltongue. Your fanciful fencer is essentially now immortal, as you can easily weave a web of buffs that cancels out, well, anything. That lasts forever. Best of all, this doesn't require anything beyond, well, just that - Spelltongue, the barbarian class, and sky high attack speed and carnage range, so you can customize everything else to your liking. The reason I say you'll be tanking simply boils down to the fact that you again are essentially immortal, and Spelltongue doesn't have amazing damage. It's not BAD damage, but you're ability to laugh at all your foes mockingly after your priest makes you immune to all afflictions for what may as well be forever is more key.

Monk: There's actually no super fancy way to do this. Monk is just all around good no matter what. Sorry not sorry, monks own.

EDIT: I will loving never stop pushing monk for everything it's such a good class and I am eternally mildly irritated that Cipher has a goddamn trillion dialogue options and monks got jack poo poo.

ProfessorCirno fucked around with this message at 09:47 on Sep 7, 2017

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

My "issue" with monks is how due to their "get hit to do stuff" thing the seemingly best thing to do for them is to ignore deflection and instead strap them in plate for high DR, which doesn't mesh with my idea of what a monk should be thematically. Wounds also clash with my preffered playstyle of heavy cc and enemy lockdown.

Avalerion fucked around with this message at 10:02 on Sep 7, 2017

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

ProfessorCirno posted:

They are assassins who stick to the sidelines and flanks and try to maneuver themselves to the back row to start stabbing squishier targets. They're also, uh, not like...amazing at it. But it's what they're best at.
Nah, they run straight into the middle of a CC'd enemy group and get busy doing 200+% base damage.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

ProfessorCirno posted:

Rogues aren't front liners. They never will be. Their riposte talent is honestly just not amazing, in part because of stuff like their native low deflection, but also the best way to raise your deflection - use a shield - is also the fastest way to make your rogue talents way, WAY less potent - by removing your full attack. The workaround is to use one of...well, two shields, that have bash (there's a third, but it's not for rogues). And doing that means your non-full attack damage just got halved. They are assassins who stick to the sidelines and flanks and try to maneuver themselves to the back row to start stabbing squishier targets. They're also, uh, not like...amazing at it. But it's what they're best at.

Arming a rogue with a pike can be surprisingly effective.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

Avalerion posted:

My "issue" with monks is how due to their "get hit to do stuff" thing the seemingly best thing to do for them is to ignore deflection and instead strap them in plate for high DR, which doesn't mesh with my idea of what a monk should be thematically. Wounds also clash with my preffered playstyle of heavy cc and enemy lockdown.

My friend, let me tell you the good news about this one monk subclass to come in the sequel...

The Lone Badger posted:

Arming a rogue with a pike can be surprisingly effective.

A pike more or less means you are by definition behind the front line ;p

Wizard Styles posted:

Nah, they run straight into the middle of a CC'd enemy group and get busy doing 200+% base damage.

At such sufficient levels of crowd control, お前はもう死んでいる

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Avalerion posted:

The thematic stuff is a hang up from D&D – a Monk in the Pillars universe is a completely different beast. Take the description from the armour He Carries Many Scars, for example:

quote:

This armor was forged in honor of the Readceran monk Rugnfar, who came to believe that as long as no enemy could inflict more pain upon him than he could upon himself, he could never truly be subjugated by anyone. Conscripted by his government to quell the uprisings inspired by St. Waidwen, Rugnfar became a frightful presence on the battlefield – for every injury he sustained at the hands of an enemy, he would inflict one twice as severe, drawing strength from the pain that enabled him to fight through injuries that would've caused anyone else to collapse on the ground. He would charge his enemies covered in blood with tears in his skin from hand to foot, and his foes would shrink at the sight of him, believing as he did that it was not in their power to injure such a man.

Near the end of the rebellion, when the rebels had all but overthrown the government, Rugnfar found himself in a battle defending against St. Waidwen's main forces. Accounts claim that he was the last on his side to remain alive, and he was approached by St. Waidwen himself in the end. As the story goes, the living god looked him over and gave a slight bow, permitting him to fall upon his own blade, that he might remain free.

The armor bears many artificial scars added by the blacksmith to make its wearer as imposing as the figure who inspired it, though it wears its real scars with equal pride.

In terms of Playstyle, I think the only time you're ever not getting wounds in most combats is late game when you're running Defensive Mindweb with a Cipher, which trivialises most end-game content by itself. If you're able to lock a battle down with so much CC that the enemies literally can't damage you, then you probably didn't need the wounds in the first place.

If you find you're lacking on wounds you can always provoke disengagement attacks by moving your character a bit too. It's a shame scaling was never introduced for Mortification of the Soul because I think it's one of the very few genuine trap options in the game, kinda like Grimoire Slam.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

The problem with frontline dual-wielding Rogues isn't really Deflection. Deflection's easy to come by and DR + lots of healing can compensate. The problem is their low Health, meaning you'll have to rest a lot more than with Monks or Fighters. There are ways around that of course (Infuse with Vital Essence, Wound Binding), but it's still something that requires managing. If you're not opposed to semi-frequent resting, you can easily make a swashbuckler Rogue work.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

ProfessorCirno posted:

My friend, let me tell you the good news about this one monk subclass to come in the sequel...

Do tell, haven't been keeping up with sublass news so only know about stoner monk. :allears:

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
Is there any info out there regarding multi-class specific abilities/talents? I mean something like "your fireballs do sneak attack damage", "Spiritshifting triggers Frenzy and vice versa" or "your bear sings along with you".

ProfessorCirno posted:

At such sufficient levels of crowd control, お前はもう死んでいる
Kinda, and you could easily say that Rogues are good because hard CC is overpowered. But unless you have a bunch of level 4+ spells to blow on a fight debuffs wear off eventually, while death doesn't. So having a DPS machine to expedite the latter before the former happens isn't a bad thing.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Wizard Styles posted:

Is there any info out there regarding multi-class specific abilities/talents? I mean something like "your fireballs do sneak attack damage", "Spiritshifting triggers Frenzy and vice versa" or "your bear sings along with you".

Nothing like that as far as I know. Some class features will interact by default (sneak attack + carnage does, so sneak attack + spells might?), but mage fighters don't get any special "channel spell through sword" type abilities.

Pet peeve of mine but I hate how most of this stuff is presented in videos nowadays. Modern kids too lazy to read I guess. And don't get me started on tweets. :argh:

Avalerion fucked around with this message at 12:03 on Sep 7, 2017

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

The human gallbladder is indeed a puzzle!

Avalerion posted:

I got my rear end handed to me so many times when I read about strapping on heavy DR Armor and going hog wild and I feel the same. I tried to keep Zahua in his hobo clothes but in the lategame he just folds over against pretty much anything.

Yes, I understood what Obsidian meant to do here, breathing a fresh air into old staples and I appreciate it for the most cases (lettting you sneak attack on pretty much anything, while feeling a bit game-y, was a brilliant decision for that class) I feel like the half naked dude punching people in the face is still my favorite.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Avalerion posted:

Nothing like that as far as I know. Some class features will interact by default (sneak attack + carnage does, so sneak attack + spells might?), but mage fighters don't get any special "channel spell through sword" type abilities.

Pet peeve of mine but I hate how most of this stuff is presented in videos nowadays. Modern kids too lazy to read I guess. And don't get me started on tweets. :argh:

No you're absolutely right. That's a big part of why I've written so many Steam guides over the past few years, raw old-man frustration, I don't want to watch a goddam video USE YOUR KEYBOARD IT IS RIGHT THERE

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

No you're absolutely right. That's a big part of why I've written so many Steam guides over the past few years, raw old-man frustration, I don't want to watch a goddam video USE YOUR KEYBOARD IT IS RIGHT THERE

Yeah gently caress video guides. It's such a slow way of conveying information to people.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Entropy238 posted:

Yeah gently caress video guides. It's such a slow way of conveying information to people.

Well i dont actually care about the other 45 minutes of mumbled advice, is there at least a timestamp guide so i can get my specific question answered? no ???:thunk::thunk:thunk:???

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Samuel Clemens posted:

The problem with frontline dual-wielding Rogues isn't really Deflection. Deflection's easy to come by and DR + lots of healing can compensate. The problem is their low Health, meaning you'll have to rest a lot more than with Monks or Fighters. There are ways around that of course (Infuse with Vital Essence, Wound Binding), but it's still something that requires managing. If you're not opposed to semi-frequent resting, you can easily make a swashbuckler Rogue work.

Do an 18 con rogue and use the mold box to make two edge of reasons. Then wear full plate too. Then face tank fools while using your party to make them vulnerable to sneak attacks via Interdiction, etc.

.....and still kinda be worse than a similarly specced out Fighter would be. I dunno, I've just never found a great use for rogues in Poe. They can still dominate, they're just a bit on the vulnerable side for my tastes.

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.

Node posted:

I'm looking to play through PoE again as a rogue that is a selfish prick that kidnaps babies. What stats should I min/max? And is Path of the Damned too obnoxious to deal with with its +15 attack/defense bonus for enemies?

Recommended above somewhere, but Might and Resolve are also the best conversation checks for being a dick to people. A lot of bullying and glowering.

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?
The best class to buckle and swash is........ drood.

Turn into a wolf.

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
I'd take a Fighter with a 2-Hander over a Rogue as a single target damage dealer any day of the week.

For one, the Fighter is much less likely to spend half of the fight with his face in the dirt because his survivability is through the roof. Two, the damage between them isn't actually all that far off when you take in to account that the Fighter will always hit faster (all other things being equal) and can pick up some pretty dank damage increasing talents himself like Confident Aim which'll increase the base damage of two handers from 14 – 20 to 17 – 20 (also avoids the aforementioned face in the dirt problem). Third, he requires less babysitting than the Rogue so you can use the resources you would have spent trying to shore up the Rogue's defences with other characters to kill enemies. Finally fighters are a lot less micro, which is always valuable from an efficiency perspective.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Any class can equip a Duelist's Hat and a rapier and pick all the Clever dialogue options, so they all work as swashbucklers.

Ginette Reno posted:

Do an 18 con rogue and use the mold box to make two edge of reasons. Then wear full plate too. Then face tank fools while using your party to make them vulnerable to sneak attacks via Interdiction, etc.

.....and still kinda be worse than a similarly specced out Fighter would be. I dunno, I've just never found a great use for rogues in Poe. They can still dominate, they're just a bit on the vulnerable side for my tastes.

I've had a lot of success with tanky Devil. Between Adept Evasion, a large shield, and her natural immunities, she becomes pretty drat sturdy. That's not something you can do with any Rogue though.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Entropy238 posted:

I'd take a Fighter with a 2-Hander over a Rogue as a single target damage dealer any day of the week.

For one, the Fighter is much less likely to spend half of the fight with his face in the dirt because his survivability is through the roof. Two, the damage between them isn't actually all that far off when you take in to account that the Fighter will always hit faster (all other things being equal) and can pick up some pretty dank damage increasing talents himself like Confident Aim which'll increase the base damage of two handers from 14 – 20 to 17 – 20 (also avoids the aforementioned face in the dirt problem). Third, he requires less babysitting than the Rogue so you can use the resources you would have spent trying to shore up the Rogue's defences with other characters to kill enemies. Finally fighters are a lot less micro, which is always valuable from an efficiency perspective.

Charge is also probably my favorite high level ability in the game.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
I don't remember if this was addressed in the campaign, but will personality choices (honest, benevolent, cruel, etc) be revamped for deadfire?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Samuel Clemens posted:

Any class can equip a Duelist's Hat and a rapier and pick all the Clever dialogue options, so they all work as swashbucklers.

greatest failing of PoE 1: inadequate number of magical duellist hats

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

greatest failing of PoE 1: inadequate number of magical duellist hats

that's a weird way to spell "pointed wizard hats," dude

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Trebuchet King posted:

that's a weird way to spell "pointed wizard hats," dude

I think you mean the Witch's Hat and, while it has charm, it does not have any feather in it at all

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?
The obvious solution is for someone who backed at a tier that lets them make an item needs to make a frilly hat with several feathers names Macaroni

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Avalerion posted:

According to rope kid, Sneak Attack and Carnage is actually one of the combos that won't work in Deadfire.

Kurtofan posted:

I don't remember if this was addressed in the campaign, but will personality choices (honest, benevolent, cruel, etc) be revamped for deadfire?

Deceptive will be renamed into Shady, but I don't believe they announced any other changes to the disposition system.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

ProfessorCirno posted:

The two best ways to make that character are, not kidding, barbarian and monk.

No, you want a barbarian or a monk.

Barbarian: This is kind of a weird one but it also works hilariously well. You're going to be making a tank, uh, kinda. Max dexterity and intelligence, and...that's it. That's all that TRULY matters. I mean, from there, you can tweak your stats around as you see fit, but Dex + Int are your main stats. Now, for awhile, you're going to be Mostly OK. Not terrible! Just Mostly OK. You can use what you want weapon-wise, though you will want weapon and shield style (how can you be a swashbuckler with no buckler?) and weapon focus noble (for your fancy rapier, of course!). Everything changes when you reach the White March, however, and get the rapier of Spelltongue from inside Durgan's Battery.

Spelltongue has a fun effect - every time you hit an enemy, THEY lose attack speed, YOU gain additional duration to all your buffs.

"Cirno, but wait, if I'm a barbarian-" yes. It acts through carnage, too.

Congratulations - any and every buff you put on your barbarian now effectively lasts the entire combat. Potions, frenzy, stalwart defiance, spells, items - everything is effected by Spelltongue. Your fanciful fencer is essentially now immortal, as you can easily weave a web of buffs that cancels out, well, anything. That lasts forever. Best of all, this doesn't require anything beyond, well, just that - Spelltongue, the barbarian class, and sky high attack speed and carnage range, so you can customize everything else to your liking. The reason I say you'll be tanking simply boils down to the fact that you again are essentially immortal, and Spelltongue doesn't have amazing damage. It's not BAD damage, but you're ability to laugh at all your foes mockingly after your priest makes you immune to all afflictions for what may as well be forever is more key.

poo poo, now I want to try this build.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Furism posted:

poo poo, now I want to try this build.

Spelltongue barb is my favorite non-cipher build, it's loads of fun.

It also pairs really well with ciphers because ciphers have a lot of very powerful, short duration single target buffs.

You can get Spelltongue as early as level six but it's in a high difficulty chest so if you find an unlock scroll save it for that.

good thread on the build here:

https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/83388-class-build-the-leech-barbarian-time-bandit-tank/page-1

I still miss the debuffing barb with vile loner's lance though

edit:

oh wow there is a bug to be awrae of though

https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/9...e/#entry1924534

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Sep 7, 2017

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

ProfessorCirno posted:

(Spelltongue barbarian fencer)
This even works thematically because you can just handwave the Carnage effect as a really fast flurry of shallow cuts to nearby targets instead of a cleave, too. I'd already kind of wanted to run a Barbarian Cipher for Deadfire since my Cipher had been using Spelltongue until I switched to Time Parasite+Blade of the Endless paths for stupid, stupid amounts of attack and damage, but I really hope there's a Spelltongue-style weapon so I can do this.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

funmanguy posted:

The obvious solution is for someone who backed at a tier that lets them make an item needs to make a frilly hat with several feathers names Macaroni

Only if the original owner had a peculiar habit of riding tiny hoofed animals.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Avalerion posted:

In Deadfire you will be able to play a Shattered Pillar monk. They gain "Wounds" by dealing damage, though they have a lower Wound cap than other monks.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Well that's just perfect then. :allears: I'll prob turn Xoti into this.

Avalerion fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Sep 7, 2017

Sio
Jan 20, 2007

better red than dead

Entropy238 posted:

The thematic stuff is a hang up from D&D – a Monk in the Pillars universe is a completely different beast. Take the description from the armour He Carries Many Scars, for example:

That description gels with the idea that Pillars Monks should take damage, which I'm totally on board with, but it also runs counter to the concept of putting your monk in heavy armor just so she can survive. He Carries Many Scars was designed in honor of Rugnfar, not something he wore himself, and given his things was terrifying his enemies with his visible, open wounds, he probably wasn't wearing a whole lot into battle. There's also the fact Project Eternity announced itself to the world with that rad concept art featuring Forton/Zahua completely bare-chested, which is a cool aesthetic but something that you kind of have to go out of your way to make work in the game.

I've always thought Iron Wheel should be available much earlier, or even baked into the wounds mechanic somehow.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Samuel Clemens posted:

According to rope kid, Sneak Attack and Carnage is actually one of the combos that won't work in Deadfire.
To be clear, you can inflict Sneak Attack and Carnage simultaneously, but SA doesn't apply to the Carnage targets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
My favorite Barb build is maxing resolve/might/int and using a shield with an on hit property like Dragon's Maw for example. You can dump dex totally and it doesn't matter because Heart of Fury will give you a bunch of hits that proc your shield's on hit effect which will wreck things.

And then you've got the Barb shouts + high deflection to boot so nothing can touch you either.

It takes a little while to get going dps wise because it's not good at that until you get Heart of Fury and one of those shields but once you do it's great

• Locked thread