Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I don't think there's a single comedy podcast whose live eps I can enjoy. There's just something about that dynamic, when you're trying to riff for a crowd that's present.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Punkin Spunkin posted:

I don't think there's a single comedy podcast whose live eps I can enjoy. There's just something about that dynamic, when you're trying to riff for a crowd that's present.

I can't imagine going to a live Podcast. To go and pay $20+ to see two to five people sit at a table and talk into microphones for under an hour (live episodes seem to run shorter) baffles me. Especially when people travel serious distances to attend.

I'm not saying I'd never do it, but it's nothing I feel I'm missing out on.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Jose Oquendo posted:

Man, it's definitely a gotta see it to believe it movie. Track it down.

If you get your TV through an antenna and one of your local stations carries the Comet sub-channel, they show it on occasion. That's how I caught it a few months ago for the first time since it came out on home video.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Iron Crowned posted:

If you get your TV through an antenna and one of your local stations carries the Comet sub-channel, they show it on occasion. That's how I caught it a few months ago for the first time since it came out on home video.

Comet actually has a free live stream on their website. I check it out once in a while.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Indolent Bastard posted:

I can't imagine going to a live Podcast. To go and pay $20+ to see two to five people sit at a table and talk into microphones for under an hour (live episodes seem to run shorter) baffles me. Especially when people travel serious distances to attend.

The only podcast I want to see live is Todd Glass, dude puts off so much energy it's infectious. And like an hour is just getting warmed up for the real show, most podcasts end before his gets started!

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Indolent Bastard posted:

Can Steve Sajdak puke on you while you're listening to the podcast at your desk?

It's a bit baffling to not realize the difference between live vs. listening to a recording. Like, I realize that this isn't a concert or something, but I've gone to live podcasts before (Snap Judgment) and while that show is definitely different, listening to the stories on the podcast vs. live are definitely tangibly different. There's a lot lost when you lose expressions, gestures, etc. Of course Snap Judgment is a storytelling podcast so that's sorta inherently different, but I imagine it's the difference between seeing a comedian live and listening to the act on mp3 afterwards. You lose a lot of the energy of the moment

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I mean, you could make the same arguments for standup comedians. MP3 exists, why bother going to see some guy stand there talking? There's no reason podcasters can't become stand-up (or let's face it) sit-down comics and speakers.

Harmontown, for example, is always live, they interact with the audience a lot and get a lot from it. Not all podcasts are low energy table sessions.

Hell, Andrew is doing physical bits in the latest episode:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BXbw2Otgv9h/?tagged=whmpodcast

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Yeah, haven't been to a podcast but live comedy shows have energy from the crowd that kind of "tricks" you into finding funny stuff much more funny, it's usually a great time. Of course if it's not your thing it's not your thing, don't worry about it.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Only live podcast recording I've been to is Doug Loves Movies, and that was a really good time.

That was before the donut throwing started, though.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

It's okay to like a movielive show.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
I just wanna see Andrew do the Mac and Me walk, okay

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

that's the link i posted up ^

https://www.instagram.com/p/BXbw2Ot...gged=whmpodcast

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Going to see mbmbam this weekend, will be my first live Podcast thing. Hopefully it does not suck

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!
I think live shows is what killed How Did This Get Made for me because every one was just overblown catchphrases and Jason playing to the audience the whole time.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Dr. Clockwork posted:

I think live shows is what killed How Did This Get Made for me because every one was just overblown catchphrases and Jason playing to the audience the whole time.
I agree, but I think that's a different situation than WHM. HDTGM started going bad when they began leaning too hard on their running gags of June not understanding basic things in the movie and Jason doing his gross-out/pervert jokes, but even despite that they never had the "actually discuss the movie from start to finish" structure of WHM.

AlliedBiscuit
Oct 23, 2012

Do you want to know the terrifying truth, or do you want to see me sock a few dingers?!!
WHM Live for Suburban Commando and Batman & Robin was awesome live. Actually seeing their expressions and interactions made it that much funnier. Plus Steve spitting on the audience.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I just went and looked up Stewart Raffill's other works; I'm surprised they didn't call out that he also directed Ice Pirates, Mannequin II: On the Move (stay tuned?), or Tammy and the T-Rex.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Evil Mastermind posted:

I agree, but I think that's a different situation than WHM. HDTGM started going bad when they began leaning too hard on their running gags of June not understanding basic things in the movie and Jason doing his gross-out/pervert jokes, but even despite that they never had the "actually discuss the movie from start to finish" structure of WHM.

Right, because of this, I actually prefer the live episodes of HDTGM to the studio ones. Their episodes are always a mess of half sentences, interrupting each other, and barely discussing the movie, so if you haven't seen the movie, you won't get the jokes. The live episodes at least have some energy pulled from the crowd, and it's still entertaining to me.

The flip side of that is that I can listen to a WHM for a movie I've never even heard of and still get the jokes and enjoy the episode.

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!

Evil Mastermind posted:

OH yeah for the record I've enjoyed WHM's live shows so far.

Lemon
May 22, 2003

I'm not generally a huge fan of the live episodes but the Silver Surfer one might just be the best of the whole ding dong series

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

I've come to like the live shows more now that the sound quality has gotten better. Some of the earlier ones were borderline incomprehensible due to the audio issues present in the recordings.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Evil Mastermind posted:

I just went and looked up Stewart Raffill's other works; I'm surprised they didn't call out that he also directed Ice Pirates, Mannequin II: On the Move (stay tuned?), or Tammy and the T-Rex.

Mannequin II is the one you call out as a possible stay tuned, and not loving Tammy and the T-Rex?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Yeah Mannequin 2 is a pale repeat of the first one, which was pretty bad, but still had a little heart at least. The sequel just has...nothing.

Tammy and the T-Rex on the other hand is just all sorts of fuckin weird. Plus young Paul Walker and Denise Richards.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Jose Oquendo posted:

Tammy and the T-Rex on the other hand is just all sorts of fuckin weird. Plus young Paul Walker and Denise Richards.

This is massively, massively underselling how bonkers Tammy and the T-Rex is.

I was going to write a basic plot summary of the film, but then I realized there is no way I can explain this movie without sounding like I'm loving insane, so here's the Wikipedia plot summary:

quote:

The film opens with Tammy at cheerleader practice, while her boyfriend Michael walks in from football practice to observe. The two of them meet Byron, Tammy's gay friend, who approves of Michael as her new boyfriend. Shortly thereafter, Tammy's violent and jealous ex-boyfriend Billy arrives with his gang and harasses Michael. A violent fight erupts between Billy and Michael, with Billy gaining the upper hand by grabbing Michael by the testicles. Michael retaliates by grabbing Billy by his testicles in the same fashion. The police arrive to break up the fight and get the two boys to release the grip on one another, with Billy clearly in pain, but Michael unfazed due to his wearing a protective cup. The police take Billy into custody, but Tammy, unable to deal with the events, breaks down and runs away in tears.

The scene then cuts to a figure of a T-Rex in a dark warehouse as two people, Dr. Wachenstein and his assistant Helga, walk through the doors. The lights come on and the T-Rex figure begins to move, being controlled by someone in a room. The Dr. is impressed by the robotic dinosaurs strength, and reveals his plan to implant a living human brain into the robot to give it consciousness, mobility and, "immortality".

Later that night, Michael sneaks out to see Tammy. They are soon interrupted by Billy and his thugs, who chase and catch Michael. They throw him into the wild Animal Park where lions and jaguars run loose. A lion mauls Michael and he is left in a comatose state. He is brought to a hospital where his intoxicated uncle watches over him.

Dr. Wachenstein and Helga declare Michael dead so they can use his brain to control their robotic T-Rex. After his brain is installed, Michael escapes and wreaks vengeance on his high school tormentors and is reunited with his sweetheart Tammy.[1] She realizes the dinosaur is Michael and begins a search to find a more suitable body for him. However Dr. Wachenstein is in hot pursuit of his creation. This leads to a chase that ends with Michael killing the doctor. Police officers open fire and destroy the mechanical dinosaur. Tammy manages to recover Michael’s brain. In the end she takes it home with her and hooks his brain up to her computer, speakers and video camera which is temporary until they find a new body for him. Through the set up Michael is able to speak and see, which allows him to view Tammy performing a striptease. This causes the brain hookups to spark.[2]

Every loving word of this actually happens in the movie. This is not the result of a particularly creative Wiki vandal, this is a perfectly accurate summary of the movie.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Tammy and the T-Rex is a movie I thought I saw during a fever dream as a kid. Nope, it's just that batshit crazy.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
How has no bad movie podcast made their way through the Prehysteria trilogy?

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Inkspot posted:

How has no bad movie podcast made their way through the Prehysteria trilogy?

Why would anyone mock those masterpieces. :colbert:

Me irl:

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Jose Oquendo posted:

Yeah Mannequin 2 is a pale repeat of the first one, which was pretty bad, but still had a little heart at least. The sequel just has...nothing.

...except a magnificent line reading of "now we fly away, TO BERMUDAAAAA!". Why I remember this ridiculous line from this idiotic movie I haven't seen in 25 years remains a mystery.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Mannequin II is the one you call out as a possible stay tuned, and not loving Tammy and the T-Rex?
They'd both be great potential episodes.

...when's Viewer Request Month again? I was thinking of calling in Hudson Hawk but those would be good options too.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
Hudson Hawk?! Are you implying you don't love every second of that film when we still haven't gotten a Thirteen Ghosts episode?

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Mannequin II might be a fun episode, but I want to see the guys' utter bafflement at Tammy and the T-Rex. It's borderline Miami Connection levels of "what the actual gently caress how does this movie exist."

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Inkspot posted:

Hudson Hawk?! Are you implying you don't love every second of that film when we still haven't gotten a Thirteen Ghosts episode?
Look, I took that ride in theaters on a loving date. Yeah it's a fun dumb movie but that doesn't mean it wouldn't be a good ep.

They can't all be Ultraviolet, people.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
Bonus points if you/your date/anyone in the theater actively vomited during the screening.

Speaking of... next RLM I'm requesting Return to OZ. :getin:

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Return To Oz owns, it's just horrifying

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.

Evil Mastermind posted:

They'd both be great potential episodes.

...when's Viewer Request Month again? I was thinking of calling in Hudson Hawk but those would be good options too.

Hudson Hawk should be a We Love Movies, because that movie is a loving glorious trainwreck. I love it so much.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
2003's Paycheck, with Ben Affleck, Uma Thurman, Paul Giamatti and Aaron Eckhart.

Directed by John Woo.

It's a real stinker.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yo_wPMW7U48

Gonz fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Sep 7, 2017

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

I appreciate Hudson Hawk in the same way that I appreciate Street Fighter: The Movie, in that despite it being an utter train wreck, it's at least a compelling train wreck to watch. Both movies feel like the people making them felt like they were doing something really important, and that effort goes a long way in making them both more enjoyable viewing experience. If I remember correctly, Hawk was a bit of a passion project for Bruce Willis, which makes its screaming journey into incoherency all the more fascinating.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Fart City posted:

I appreciate Hudson Hawk in the same way that I appreciate Street Fighter: The Movie, in that despite it being an utter train wreck, it's at least a compelling train wreck to watch. Both movies feel like the people making them felt like they were doing something really important, and that effort goes a long way in making them both more enjoyable viewing experience. If I remember correctly, Hawk was a bit of a passion project for Bruce Willis, which makes its screaming journey into incoherency all the more fascinating.

It was supposed to be a launching pad for his "singing" career.

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich

MariusLecter posted:

It was supposed to be a launching pad for his "singing" career.

you could have a podcast episode just on The Return Of Bruno and how awful it was

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Whm is doing Samurai Cop this month, I saw it in theaters with a rifftrax live event thing, it was amazing and should make a great episode.