Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

SwissArmyDruid posted:

I would argue not even, since these are only 35W parts. I mean, what ultra-cheapo-but-not-terribly-poo poo build do you have to have that you can't do with 65W and the commensurate perf bump?

surplus laptop or micro pc parts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

SwissArmyDruid posted:

I would argue not even, since these are only 35W parts. I mean, what ultra-cheapo-but-not-terribly-poo poo build do you have to have that you can't do with 65W and the commensurate perf bump?
The A8-9600 is a 65w part and has enough GPU for screaming kids that want to play rocket league but not have their eyes damaged with low framerate.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

The A8-9600 is a 65w part and has enough GPU for screaming kids that want to play rocket league but not have their eyes damaged with low framerate.

It's also cheap and slams basically anything from Intel even close to it in gaming. Like, you need about an i5 to begin matching it. So in a "get a functioning computer for lowest price for acceptable performance", the A8-9600 is real good. Wasted money on an A12-9800 though, might s well go for cheaper 950 or G4560 (if you can get it at cheaper rpice), and a GT1030/RX550/RX460 instead.

Like, here is a comparison of an i3-6100 vs an A8-7600, the A8-9600 is going to get a more favorable framerate so the gap is even wider.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vHHsadwA4xs

eames
May 9, 2009

The story of Threadripper, who knew...

theinquirer posted:

"So we put together this skunkworks team where we had platform architects, people that deal with core design, business unit, marketing team, to work out how to use what's already here and to go to the boss - Jim Anderson and say we'd like to do this," added Prior.

That was in 2015, when the Zen project was still in its early stages. As Zen developments progressed, the group working on Threadripper - the name they applied to the project, which was adopted by marketing - went with the grain, absorbing and working with the Zen technology, rather than rejecting elements and trying to create their own alternatives.

When AMD Senior Vice President and General Manager Jim Anderson, who joined from Intel, threw weight behind the project once he found out about the idea. [sic]

https://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/3016760/amd-threadripper-was-developed-by-engineers-in-their-spare-time

https://www.forbes.com/sites/antonyleather/2017/09/05/amd-ryzen-threadripper-the-fascinating-story-behind-the-processor-that-beat-intel/

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
So the takeaway here is that AMD almost succeeded in self-sabotaging themselves as usual, and that Threadripper was basically just a bunch of engineers loving around during "compiling!" time.

eames
May 9, 2009

Yeah, the i9 beating Threadripper is basically a happy accident, which may be the reason why it hit Intel by surprise: 20 engineers at AMD surprised the rest of the company. Oh AMD. :allears:

Forbes posted:

In fact, even though it was akin to a pet project up to this point and had no official business plan, the actual feasibility study that took place later concludes it was one of the best-planned products they’d seen in a long time.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I built a really cheap ryzen 1300x with 8GB RAM and an Asrock B350 $65 dollar mobo. Everything was easy peasy, just had to load the Ethernet drivers from the Asrock mobo CD.. the built in Windows drivers wouldn't make the NIC work. The speed is VERY impressive for such a cheap machine. Feels more like an i5 or i7 for sure.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

Even better

John Taylor posted:

Interestingly, some of the original team behind Threadripper joined AMD from the press, with a critical and appreciative eye for PC hardware from years of reviewing a wide range of products. This perspective was core to creating the Threadripper concept and product definition.

Maybe...maybe AMD should be trying to gobble up the same kind of people for the GPU division?

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
I wonder if that kind of influence is part of things like the official feature advertisement of TR getting "best binned dies". Has any chip designer actually gone out and said that to the public before? (not talking about third-party PCB designers like EVGA's Kingpin line)

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

FaustianQ posted:

Even better

Maybe...maybe AMD should be trying to gobble up the same kind of people for the GPU division?

They did. It's why Scott Wasson works for AMD now.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
The good: I just bought a Ryzen 1600, 16gb of Samsung B-die, and an MSI b350m Mortar.

The bad: I live in Miami.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
At least you saved on water cooling?

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Also getting some time away from work

3peat
May 6, 2010

In it's first few days to first week, X399 sold more than X299 in it's first month

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3616WecsCBM

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

Truga posted:

At least you saved on water cooling?

I actually just bought an H80i v2. Imagine my surprise when it didn't come with an AM4 bracket.

Stuff is shipped but not delivered yet. Wont be here before Irma, and who knows when the parts will show up after Irma.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

SpecDB, AMDs official "Ark-like", has had a crazy good update https://specdb.info/#!/

It's obviously not finished but this is pretty nice.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

as an engineering codename fanboy this is the best trend

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
After a decade, I've finally retired my Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 5000+. However score one for AMD's long term socket compatibility; after a bios update I was able to transplant my AMD Athlon II X4 635 from it's rubbish motherboard in to the older-but-superior board vacated by the 64 X2. All it cost me was a tube of thermal paste and a TDP bump...

A SWEATY FATBEARD
Oct 6, 2012

:buddy: GAY 4 ORGANS :buddy:
Ryzen update: I am now extremely happy with the system. New RAM runs great at 3200MHz (even though the sticks are rated for 3600... wtf) and with improved cooling in the case, the 1700X processor has been running number crunching 24/7 at 3700MHz without a single crapout. In fact the CPU is perfectly capable of higher clockspeeds but I just wanted to give it some headroom for when the cooling efficiency drops due to dust accumulation on the heatsink.

I have only one complaint about the Asus prime x370-pro board; it doesn't have enough USB sockets on the backplate - and the backplate itself looks strangely empty and devoid of expansion ports, that's the first thing that struck me when I saw the board in flesh.

Another thing. FX processors could run extremely hot without running into problems - my old FX-8350 was constantly mucking around 85C - while Ryzen cries murder if its temperature goes over 65C.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
"But if we put adequate IO ports on the back how will we fit in the HDMI and DisplayPort connectors!?"

--Asus, probably

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy
It has 7 type-a connectors, this seems to be an adequate number?

ufarn
May 30, 2009
So at which of these do we think Intel will show CL for desktop?

ufarn fucked around with this message at 11:05 on Sep 11, 2017

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
I bet Microsoft Ignite. The Gartner events are too corporate IT for a consumer-targeted chip launch, and EGX is too small.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

A SWEATY FATBEARD posted:

Ryzen update: I am now extremely happy with the system. New RAM runs great at 3200MHz (even though the sticks are rated for 3600... wtf) and with improved cooling in the case, the 1700X processor has been running number crunching 24/7 at 3700MHz without a single crapout. In fact the CPU is perfectly capable of higher clockspeeds but I just wanted to give it some headroom for when the cooling efficiency drops due to dust accumulation on the heatsink.

I have only one complaint about the Asus prime x370-pro board; it doesn't have enough USB sockets on the backplate - and the backplate itself looks strangely empty and devoid of expansion ports, that's the first thing that struck me when I saw the board in flesh.

Another thing. FX processors could run extremely hot without running into problems - my old FX-8350 was constantly mucking around 85C - while Ryzen cries murder if its temperature goes over 65C.

I believe the 1700X and 1800X have a temperature offset of 20C, so your 65C CPU is actually running at 85C. As far as the memory speeds go, at above 3200MHz you can start running into issues with the memory controller, so you might just have a CPU with a memory controller that is unstable past 3200MHz, the motherboard can also be a factor but that tends to come into play at higher speeds than 3200MHz, like 3600-4000MHz+. This is due to trace length between the DIMM slots and the CPU socket and is why you see some extreme memory OCing boards opt for only two DIMM slots and place them very close to the socket.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The temperature offset for the 1700X and 1800X is in the opposite direction, a 65°C reading means 45°C.

A SWEATY FATBEARD
Oct 6, 2012

FaustianQ posted:

The temperature offset for the 1700X and 1800X is in the opposite direction, a 65°C reading means 45°C.

Right now the CPU is overclocked and under full load and it reports 60C. Which is pretty spankin' great.

Oh, and about the USB ports - I am one of those people who have a poo poo-ton of peripherals attached and I just hate unplugging something so I could plug in something else. I even got a quite pricey USB-C cable for the printer so I'd free up one normal USB-A port for other peripherals.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Oh, and about the USB ports - I am one of those people who have a poo poo-ton of peripherals attached and I just hate unplugging something so I could plug in something else. I even got a quite pricey USB-C cable for the printer so I'd free up one normal USB-A port for other peripherals.

Why not just use a hub? Get one with an auxiliary power adapter if power draw is a concern.

A SWEATY FATBEARD
Oct 6, 2012

isndl posted:

Why not just use a hub? Get one with an auxiliary power adapter if power draw is a concern.

Nah, I don't like hubs because I'm a cable nazi. I now have one precious USB-A 3.0 socket free for my external backup HDD, and should a need arise, I'll just get an internal USB header cable which is much neater than an external hub. I tossed my old POS tv tuner, it's not like I've been actually watching television on the drat thing - and it doesn't work properly on win10 anyway so welp, a free socket.

A SWEATY FATBEARD fucked around with this message at 12:41 on Sep 11, 2017

Lolcano Eruption
Oct 29, 2007
Volcano of LOL.

Nah, I don't like hubs because I'm a cable nazi. I now have one precious USB-A 3.0 socket free for my external backup HDD, and should a need arise, I'll just get an internal USB header cable which is much neater than an external hub. I tossed my old POS tv tuner, it's not like I've been actually watching television on the drat thing - and it doesn't work properly on win10 anyway so welp, a free socket.

Isn't a hub neater and easier for cable management? Keep the wires managed out of sight instead of coming out the back of your PC.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

i too consider opening up the side of my computer case every time I plug something in to be the picture of elegance

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Generic Monk posted:

i too consider opening up the side of my computer case every time I plug something in to be the picture of elegance

He meant the expansion bracket that has 3-4 USB ports externally and connects via a USB pin header internally...

Edit - USB 2.0 brackets used to come with pretty much every motherboard in the mid-2000s. I probably have a half dozen in a bin somewhere...

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

AMD going a little ham on the retail packaging lately

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

FaustianQ posted:

AMD going a little ham on the retail packaging lately

How will Jay gently caress up this unboxing?

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

How will Jay gently caress up this unboxing?

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
Hello, I just wanted to ask a quick question. I put a PC together earlier this month and was able to get it working after some hassle. I just wanted to know if people think it would be worth getting an aftermarket CPU fan? I have a Ryzen 5 1600 and just installed the stock cooler that came with it. Earlier today I was playing Doom on Ultra settings and I got a nasty crash. It took a while for my computer to recover and I was wondering if a better cooler would help it a bit.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

Are you overclocking that 1600 at all? If yes, how significant is the overclock?

Ryzen doesn't generally crash at stock speeds. Have you considered that it could be a driver problem or other faulty hardware?

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

SoftNum posted:

Yeah OK I spoke too soon. I can't get the CPU config into a state that it performs. the GPU is great (DX10, DX11) but anything that ends up CPU bound runs like dog doodoo. I don't think it's the NPT bug because the CPU itself is fine, it seems like it's a memory bandwidth issue, at least partially. I'm going to try a streamlined config tomorrow (pulling out all the bullshit virt-manager sets up. Who the gently caress needs an IDE controller?)

So trip report on this as I've had like 2 free days to work on it so far.

My setup: Ryzen 1700X; AsRock Taichi X370; MSI "Duke" 1080; 16 Meg memory.

The npt bug is still a thing. The trick is that it doesn't manifest itself in all games or 3D engines. Some benchmarks barely notice (notably Heaven) and others seriously chug. I ended up using Total War: Warhammer as my test bed. This got 30 frames npt=1, and around 70 npt=0. I also tried hugepages, force-enabling MSI, disabling passthrough/nested virtualization extensions, CPU pegging. KVM is seriously broken when it comes to AMD hardware though. It flat refuses to allow HyperThreading capabilities to pass through, so CPU pinning can actually make things worse. When you turn off npt, it refuses to enable more than one vCPU until you explicitly tell it a processor, and the "best" processor you can tell it is the Opteron G3. With specifying the Opteron G3, and setting up 8 vCPUs, the system runs OK (though still somewhat worse than npt=1), and games run great.

Unfortunately now kvm refuses to post for some dumb reason. I may just blow the whole install away and try Xen if I can figure out a sane nvidia workaround.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

KVM has known bugs that only manifest on AMD that they refuse to fix for some inane reason. This has been a thing for years, yet people still try to use KVM on AMD.

Just install Xen.

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
I just bought a 1600, I ordered 2133 ram before looking at performance impact, someone tell me how screwed I am and if so what I should get instead.

MSI B350 GAMING PRO motherboard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

3200mhz is the best achievable goal. Most Samsung b-die will hit 3200, but 16gb costs about $165 at the moment.

Look for any G.Skill RAM that is advertised at 3200mhz and CL 14. That's guaranteed b-die. YMMV with 3200mhz RAM that is CL 15 or 16.