Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

rope kid posted:

To be clear, you can inflict Sneak Attack and Carnage simultaneously, but SA doesn't apply to the Carnage targets.
Does this also apply to Carnage and Soul Whip?

e: vvvv Wait, is she she always in the Five Suns even if you ended with her becoming a Kind Wayfarer?

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Sep 7, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Avalerion posted:

Well that's just perfect then. :allears: I'll prob turn Xoti into this.
If companions have a subclass for one of their base classes, that subclass can't be changed (e.g. Pallegina is always a paladin of the Brotherhood of the Five Suns). Xoti's monk subclass is Sister of the Reaping Moon.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
With all this talk of subclassing, are the there items available only to certain subclasses/multiclass combinations? Sorry if this was answered- if it was, I must've missed it.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

You can get Spelltongue as early as level six but it's in a high difficulty chest so if you find an unlock scroll save it for that.

Man I play on PotD with perma-death, I can't get Spelltongue at level 6 :)

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Varam posted:

That description gels with the idea that Pillars Monks should take damage, which I'm totally on board with, but it also runs counter to the concept of putting your monk in heavy armor just so she can survive. He Carries Many Scars was designed in honor of Rugnfar, not something he wore himself, and given his things was terrifying his enemies with his visible, open wounds, he probably wasn't wearing a whole lot into battle. There's also the fact Project Eternity announced itself to the world with that rad concept art featuring Forton/Zahua completely bare-chested, which is a cool aesthetic but something that you kind of have to go out of your way to make work in the game.

I've always thought Iron Wheel should be available much earlier, or even baked into the wounds mechanic somehow.

That's fair enough actually.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Mind sharing what that the sister one does? And I thought Pallegina's order would depend on her ending, or is that just a cosmetic change for her?

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
I kinda wonder how many people had Pallegina remain with her order. I'd suspect she ended up a Kind Wayfarer for most.

Entropy238 posted:

Third, he requires less babysitting than the Rogue so you can use the resources you would have spent trying to shore up the Rogue's defences with other characters to kill enemies.
I've never seen the need to buff a Rogue's defenses.
Rogues do just fine if they go after debuffed targets (that will do less damage anyway) and maybe equip a draining weapon.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

funmanguy posted:

The best class to buckle and swash is........ drood.

Turn into a wolf.

kill the parrot of the captain whose shio your trying to steal

turn yourself into a parrot

become the captains new parrot

turn back into a person to assassinate the captain right as your ship boards his

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Mine did, but the roundabout way of siding with Galawain.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

ropekid why isn't Hiravias in as a companion I'm literally shaking

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Wizard Styles posted:

I've never seen the need to buff a Rogue's defenses.
Rogues do just fine if they go after debuffed targets (that will do less damage anyway) and maybe equip a draining weapon.

I've had the opposite experience but each to their own I guess. I find things generally get much better for the class from around levels 11/13 onward when the amount of CC that your Wizards, Ciphers and Druids can throw out is enough to lock down everything, but the low health (which draining doesn't help with) and endurance combined with low deflection makes for a rough early/mid game. A rogue getting stunned/paralysed is pretty much a death sentence and they're too high maintenance for my tastes.

cgfreak
Jan 2, 2013

Wizard Styles posted:

I kinda wonder how many people had Pallegina remain with her order. I'd suspect she ended up a Kind Wayfarer for most.

This can only happen if you side with Galawain, right? (if you tell her to obey her orders you suck :colbert: )

Btw, can you poison Simoc AND steal the baby? I want to get that baby out of that horrible situation but bluffing that rear end in a top hat into poisoning himself is so very satisfying.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

CommissarMega posted:

With all this talk of subclassing, are the there items available only to certain subclasses/multiclass combinations? Sorry if this was answered- if it was, I must've missed it.
Given the sheer number of combos I'd expect not. The item I submitted was meant for monk / paladin characters, though.

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
I'm going to make sure Pallagina ends up as a Kind Wayfarer for Deadfire. Would rather not side with the Vaillian equivalent of the East India Company in my playthrough.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

Dick Burglar posted:

Is there ever a mechanical benefit to having a character that uses both melee and ranged weapons? I know in PoE2 we'll be able to club people with pistols, but is it ever worthwhile to have a character that uses a ranged and melee weapon in any meaningful way? The only thing I can think of is a cipher, and that's typically a ranged opener (classically a blunderbuss) and then swap to melee. Is there anything else?

Is it even advantageous to have your ranged characters have a backup melee weapon? I feel like it's probably better to just run and eat the disengage attack than burn action time switching and then poorly fighting with a melee weapon.

in PoE 1 I gave Kana a gun and a great sword or Estoc. His job was to stand back and do a bunch of chants that powered up my ranged characters. If an enemy made it past my melee team, or came from another direction, switch to the sword and hold them in place. The deal was that Kana was really about the chants and light tanking. Any DPS he could put out was just a bonus.

Sometimes in an emergency, Sagani would switch too. I was running with a glass canon mage main, so having melee back up to keep her safe was real useful.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Entropy238 posted:

I'm going to make sure Pallagina ends up as a Kind Wayfarer for Deadfire. Would rather not side with the Vaillian equivalent of the East India Company in my playthrough.

Idk dude. There's no guarantee that Palleginas altruistic streak goes anywhere if, for example, you did the altruistic thing but then sided with Galawain.

In that scenario she sticks to her principles and remains in her Order.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

It's important to remember that in Twin Elms Pallegina is not choosing between her country and some other cause, but between different ways to help her country. In the endings where she becomes a Kind Wayfarer, she didn't leave the order. The order left her.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

rope kid posted:

It's important to remember that in Twin Elms Pallegina is not choosing between her country and some other cause, but between different ways to help her country. In the endings where she becomes a Kind Wayfarer, she didn't leave the order. The order left her.
So in other words, she'll have the title and the abilities regardless of her in-narrative standing?

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
It's either me or the republics.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Basic Chunnel posted:

So in other words, she'll have the title and the abilities regardless of her in-narrative standing?

Think of it like Leliana in Dragon Age; even if you chopped her head off she'll still come back to life in the sequels because God (the author) loves her the way she was.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

No, if Pallegina is dead, she's dead. If you never recruited her, she's not in the Deadfire. Whether you encounter her as a Kind Wayfarer or a "brother" of the Five Suns, she's still a patriot.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

rope kid posted:

No, if Pallegina is dead, she's dead. If you never recruited her, she's not in the Deadfire. Whether you encounter her as a Kind Wayfarer or a "brother" of the Five Suns, she's still a patriot.

I forget if this was covered in the updates, but are we still able to create merc companions in Poe2 if we want to do something gimmick like a 5 Ranger bear party?

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

rope kid posted:

But would her subclass change to reflect her narrative status or is she a Five Suns paladin regardless because that's what her training/skills/soul says she is regardless of what the order specifically says?

Basically, will she always be able to be so righteously angry at someone that she glares actual fireballs at them, regardless of the narrative at the end of PoE1?

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Ginette Reno posted:

I forget if this was covered in the updates, but are we still able to create merc companions in Poe2 if we want to do something gimmick like a 5 Ranger bear party?
Yes.

Ravenfood posted:

But would her subclass change to reflect her narrative status or is she a Five Suns paladin regardless because that's what her training/skills/soul says she is regardless of what the order specifically says?

Basically, will she always be able to be so righteously angry at someone that she glares actual fireballs at them, regardless of the narrative at the end of PoE1?
I can't answer that without getting into specifics of the story, which I am not going to do. Sorry.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Nice. I won't be doing that on my first run but gimmick playthroughs are always fun.

Speaking of which it might be time to load up Poe and do a gimmick run soon.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I for one hope we can help the Republics take over, and that we get a Sneering Imperialist cheevo that's just Josh doing this face or this face but in a shako.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
Has anything related to party automation/scripting been covered for Deadfire?

If I want to customize and automate AI behaviors for each member of my party so I can concentrate exclusively on microing my PC, how close can I get to being able to do that?

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Sep 7, 2017

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

GreatGreen posted:

Has anything related to party automation/scripting been covered for Deadfire?

If I want to customize and automate AI behaviors for each member of my party so I can concentrate exclusively on microing my PC, how close can I get to being able to do that?

Contextual AI customization options (akin to FFXII or Dragon Age: Origins) were included as a stretch goal and met. Please look forwards to it.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Vermain posted:

Contextual AI customization options (akin to FFXII or Dragon Age: Origins) were included as a stretch goal and met. Please look forwards to it.

Awesome.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

rope kid posted:

I can't answer that without getting into specifics of the story, which I am not going to do. Sorry.
Oh, fair enough! I was just really curious about how mechanics and narrative tied together. I thought it was really interesting that (and how) Durance kept his priest powers, for instance.

Enigmatic Cakelord
Jun 16, 2006

ASARI EYEBROWS

Ravenfood posted:

Oh, fair enough! I was just really curious about how mechanics and narrative tied together. I thought it was really interesting that (and how) Durance kept his priest powers, for instance.

At the end of the day paladins are zealots and are empowered by their belief, not by a deity or an order itself. Pallegina could be slumming with the Kind Wayfarers, but it doesn't mean she couldn't still believe she is acting in Vailian interest and still have the abilities of the Brotherhood. Though I do believe it was stated her breastplate would change depending on her end state at least.

She may also have only spent the between games as a Wayfarer. Two of the four new companions each represent a faction, the one they haven't talked about will probably be in the corner of the native aumaua. So that leaves someone for the VTC and it isn't going to be Xoti, Eder or Aloth.

Enigmatic Cakelord fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Sep 8, 2017

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?

rope kid posted:

Please dont stop making games. I dont care how much money you get, no retiring.

Entropy238 posted:

It's either me or the republics.

Also this.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

rope kid posted:

Yes.

What's happening with Rogues?

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Airfoil
Sep 10, 2013

I'm a rocket man
They're all going to culinary school?

Yummy.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

knives are not a great tool for weight lifting exercise but I guess it's better than nothing

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
To be fair, if you had Pallegina disobey orders and then side with Galawain, all you've really done is help convince her that the best future for the Valian Republics is one where it doesn't exploit it's weaker neighbors, it works together with them.

I guess what I'm getting at is, by the end, I expect to have Comrade Pallegina.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

We are getting a Dragon Keep-lite to look at our decisions/change them if you want right

Grimoire
Jul 9, 2003
Speaking of riposte rogue, WM1 is your friend. Bittercut, Garrodh's chorus, and wanderer's hide are all available early on in the expansion. But it gets better, I give you the deathblow spellshield rogue.

There is a bash shield, Badgradr Barricade, that procs a single target crush spell on crit -- couple this with riposte and max accuracy through high per, and crits are common on the bash. Deathblows applies to the riposte main and offhand as well as the spell proc. Take the shield combat feat, pump resolve and deflection, wade to the frontline and spam your per encounter full attacks like crippling strike while riposting like mad. Open with the weakening interdiction from a priest and/or phantom foes from a cipher to guarantee that sweet deathblow goodness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
Badgradr Barricade isn't just good for a riposte rogue, it's more or less the only thing that allows them to actually function. Any non-bash shield, your full attack damage is going to plummet. A bash-shield, your non-full attack damage is going to plummet even harder. Badgradr's spell proc is the only thing that works, because rogues don't get the dragon maw shield.

• Locked thread