Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Nothing can withstand our fixed bayonets! :black101: :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

that would be why i don't like inferno. it is no fun to die if you mess up once.

Playing through Inferno on EDF 2017 with a friend was one hell of an achievement, though.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

I_Socom posted:

I'll be honest - cheat engine made this game much more playable for me. After the second full playthrough, kiting round the last enemy in a level to laboriously pick up armour and weapon drops gets incredibly tedious and not-fun. I'm much happier being able to play the "shoot the bugs in the face" game rather than the "walk to all the green dots" game.

Edit: ofc I don't mean cheat engine-ing 20k armour on a wing diver - if you're going to do that then you might as well just turn on invincibilty. I am quite looking forward to an unlimited-energy wing diver playthrough though, flying the battlefield and emptying Ixion rounds into every non-flying fucker on the map

i checked what the max armor was on hardest for the final mission and cheat engined all my dudes to that level

it was pretty much the single best decision i made that month. it was unspeakably liberating to focus on shooting bugs.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Coolguye posted:

i checked what the max armor was on hardest for the final mission and cheat engined all my dudes to that level

it was pretty much the single best decision i made that month. it was unspeakably liberating to focus on shooting bugs.

Grinding up that much armor in EDF 2017 was not an achievement. It was a time wasting mess. I used rubber bands FFS. Feel no shame in cheating armor, everyone.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Light Gun Man posted:

Nothing can withstand our fixed bayonets! :black101: :smith:

Stop that depressing crap.

A legendary hero will soon lead us to Glory,
8 years ago they sunk the mothership says hi-Story,
Tomorrow we'll follow this brave soul to victory!

THE EDF DEPLOYS

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Die Sexmonster! posted:

Grinding up that much armor in EDF 2017 was not an achievement. It was a time wasting mess. I used rubber bands FFS. Feel no shame in cheating armor, everyone.

If they made armor boxes give 1+difficulty rank (up to 6 each or so) it would be much more tolerable. I cheated everyone to 12k or so and never looked back.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Allow a setting for max allowed armor for a mission.

limited
Dec 10, 2005
Limited Sanity

Inzombiac posted:

If they made armor boxes give 1+difficulty rank (up to 6 each or so) it would be much more tolerable. I cheated everyone to 12k or so and never looked back.
That's the worst thing about playing on console. No cheat engine. :negative: They've made the same mistake for every single game so I don't think it's likely to change any time soon.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
man, could you imagine edf with built-in cheats?

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

This type of arcade shooter is a perfect fit. At least make a big head mode!

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*

I joined the only online lobby I saw last night, hosted by a Japanese player with "cheat" in the room description. Played a few rounds and had a good time killing dragons. Someone named Sinister Edge joined, reported our Steam profiles for cheating (even though I wasn't) and left. I haven't cheated yet in EDF but now I want to just to spite that guy. Anyone have a table for infinite wing diver energy? I wanna fly forever.

edit: Not sure why I quoted you. I guess I agree and want built-in cheats...?

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

limited posted:

That's the worst thing about playing on console. No cheat engine. :negative: They've made the same mistake for every single game so I don't think it's likely to change any time soon.

It's a shame, because the way EDF handles armor and weapon drops is pretty much the only horrible thing about it but it's unfortunately a pretty major part. Hell, keeping the current system but making it so you auto-grab every box on the map when the mission ends would already be an ENORMOUS step forward.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

I was crazy and ground up my Ranger through all the guns but the ones that only show up at the very end of Hardest and up. With Early to mid Hardest levels of health cap.

I still finally installed cheat engine for the first time to polish off the collection, and give me a leg up with other classes. Though I never went full bore hog wild on the health injections and unlocking with the rest, as much because I'm a boring idiot who really likes Ranger between wishing I was better at Wing Diver :v:

Kanos posted:

It's a shame, because the way EDF handles armor and weapon drops is pretty much the only horrible thing about it but it's unfortunately a pretty major part. Hell, keeping the current system but making it so you auto-grab every box on the map when the mission ends would already be an ENORMOUS step forward.
The duplicate drops issues is the real most painful aspect of it, though grinding up for higher difficulty amounts of health (especially on Wing Diver) are a close second.

Honestly part of the reason I didn't want to kill myself with my inclinations towards "Hard" difficulty is because in 2014, that's the scale of equipment that's the most unique but not poo poo. I could play through with "expected" amounts of health but with "Enough to punch above my own weight" guns. Hard guns on Normal, Hardest guns on Hard, etc. Which feel like a good sweet spot of useful but not overkill (All the interesting stuff/not awkward prototype versions don't start till you get past Normal tier guns anyways).

However for loving inferno? On top of it expecting you to have the best of the best, it also has the widest loving drop ranges. I ended up having to convince some "We're farming Inferno weapoons!" pubbies constantly dying in early level Inferno to just loving come with me to a late game hardest level several times. One sweep through a loading warf full of Deeroys later and not only did I happen to get one gun I was missing, they all got more good gear than they had seen all loving day throwing themselves at "Inferno grinds" in a single mission.

I'm double checking a weapons checklist that was very handy to me when I was playing this more often. If you are playing Hard? You'll never see anything that sucks compared to what you want. Normal difficulty drops stop showing up as early as level 10. That's part of what kept playing through Hard with dips into the Hardest weaponry satisfying.

Playing Hardest in 2025? Garbage weapons from Normal difficulty don't stop padding out your drop table until about mission 40. Inferno? You see level 3 weapons until 50, and don't stop seeing Normal difficulty weapons until mission loving 70.

Even with cheats turned on (I was using 'declare you actually picked up 2,000 boxes because you said so' rather than 100% auto unlock style). There was no getting around the fact duplicate drops, and Inferno's mile wide drop scale were a thing. So while I was mostly okay with the scaling for Hard difficulty (stops giving you the last difficulty's guns very fast), and was okay with the transition into Hardest (Over half the hardest guns are at the later half of hard)? It's pretty telling when even cheating is a slog for Inferno, and the second half of hardest.

Again, that's coming from a guy who was perfectly happy to farm up his ranger the old fashioned way for the most part. Pure RNG Bullshit widening in scope in the end, whether you dive rolled across the map to pick up 300 boxes, or told cheat engine you picked up 3,000. That won't save you when not only can you pick up the same weapon you already own dozens of times, it will still be selecting from a pool of "Level 1 through- X"

Section Z fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Jun 14, 2017

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Do you have a good CE table I can use? I kinda want to unlock all the Fencer stuff just to mess around.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_Hijf5W2JKMM01sRXcyNERGVkU/view?usp=sharing

unfortunately most of the ce options and trainers were broken with patches, so this is all i'm aware of.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

This is currently $30 on steam with the start of the summer sale. I am hoping it goes cheaper on a special so I have chance of annoying my friends into buying it. It has been entirely too expensive for too long.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

$30 is so very worth it, though.
Just don't pick up the DLC weapons. Absolute crap.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."
The extra mission packs are great, but you've got to play them with other people. I've went through them solo with my Ranger with Inferno grade equipment on Normal and the game sometimes still managed to tear my guts out.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Filthy Monkey posted:

This is currently $30 on steam with the start of the summer sale. I am hoping it goes cheaper on a special so I have chance of annoying my friends into buying it. It has been entirely too expensive for too long.

Have Steam mega sales started doing daily deals again? I thought they stopped doing that in favor of lump sum static discounts the whole way through.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Section Z posted:

Have Steam mega sales started doing daily deals again? I thought they stopped doing that in favor of lump sum static discounts the whole way through.

Daily deals are dead.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."
A quick look over at Steamspy says that 4.1 sold over 100 thousand copies. If that isn't going to motivate them to port EDF 5 to PC, then I don't know what will.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
I dunno, Japanese game companies are weird. Gundam Breaker 3 Break Edition has English subtitles, menus, even the case is in English but they absolutely refuse to officially release it in NA for some reason. I had to import the Singapore version.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

I think that has a lot to do with licensing in the US and Canada being a bitch for those games for whatever reason.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I think it involved the music. I remember looking up something regarding streaming the game from the PS4 (because it's blocked) and the general consensus was the licensing for the music was why they blocked native streaming.

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jb055Kd-Tko
So much blood

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Motherfuckin Frog Dragons

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Dismember your foes. See them crawl away from you in fear.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

One thing I noticed in the air raider segment is it looks like Whale is now a regular weapon with time-based reloads instead of point-based.

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
Fencer looks 10% faster now. I don't remember a single handed NC cannon shooting that fast between shots.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I much prefer flying frogs than those rear end in a top hat dragons. Those are some wonderful giblets.

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

Hesitate, and you will be lost.
Wow, loving the locational damage. Also nice how the ants' skin change color when damaged. Just watched some of the battle with Fencer around 28 minutes into the video.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I was expecting the 80s anime amount of blood founts to paint the buildings.

Storm One
Jan 12, 2011
http://gematsu.com/2017/09/earth-defense-force-4-1-wing-diver-shooter-shoot-em-announced-ps4

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
The low frame rate will be perfect for a shooter.

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg
There's a sale going on for 2 weeks
https://www.humblebundle.com/store/earth-defense-force-41-the-shadow-of-new-despair

Zed Di Dragon
Feb 16, 2011
Another EDF spinoff? Coming out around the same time as EDF5? Made by some company that mostly makes wrestling games?

https://www.d3p.co.jp/edfir/en/

Okay.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
They figured out pants for the Wing Diver! :woop:

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i'm all for different takes on the timeless concept of killing giant insects with a variety of weapons, but i also remember insect armageddon.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Uh yeah and it was rad? Get out if you don't think the mantises and daddy longlegs owned. And like, everyone on the radio.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

The next edf isn't conning out for pc, is it?