Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

The Ninth Layer posted:

This is a really quiet game. Where's Magnus?

Watching twin peaks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Why are you voting stickup?

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
I have. Managed to survive and escape Florida. Expect some real bombshell reads tomorrow

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

honk honk whats for lunch...
smh i cant believe all these players are jujst not posting

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

honk honk whats for lunch...
i ##vote flamander

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
So quiet. Do I need to make another effortpost questioning Mafia strategy just to get people to post again?

Of the two posters with significant bandwagons, I like the case against Flamander more than the one against stickup; for a guy who makes a point of withholding a vote because he wants to have a good reason behind it, he immediately turns around and advances some pretty shaky reasoning about stickup to justify his vote.

##vote Flamander

(yes I am aware that basically every charge that can be leveled against Flamander besides his general air of resignation and "oh well I guess I'll die I'm just not very good at this" can be leveled against me as well; c'est la guerre)

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

You've expressed suspicion of more than one person today so you are already doing way better than him.

To put things into perspective, if you ignore the 2 posts Flamander made to sign up and confirm his PM, he's got as many posts as the vote counting robot.

2 penny bottle imp
Jun 11, 2008

I KNOW WHAT YOU DID LAST SCUMMER
I would take my vote off of yronic to reconsider the 2 main options forming right now, but he has been conspicuoualy absent since he had 2 votes on his head. Really feels like scum trying to be ignored out of suspicion.

Flamander
May 4, 2009

The Ninth Layer posted:

You've expressed suspicion of more than one person today so you are already doing way better than him.

To put things into perspective, if you ignore the 2 posts Flamander made to sign up and confirm his PM, he's got as many posts as the vote counting robot.

I was suspicious of chores earlier?

chores + stickup = 2 people.

Does suspecting someone of being scum means that you have to vote for them, or something? Because I've played a few games now and I've never heard of this new rule.

Flamander
May 4, 2009
also, because i'm gonna get lynched anyways

##vote Flamander

derp
Jan 21, 2010

when i get up all i want to do is go to bed again

Lipstick Apathy
and here above you can see the classic 'scum under pressure'. perceiving all as against him (they are) he lashes out at mafia itself instead of any one player who may be scum (because he knows they are town), then curls in on himself in angst and self pity, blaming all of mafialand for his failures, instead of his own scummy postings.

flerp
Feb 25, 2014
also voting self is like the biggest scum thing in the universe. ##vote Flamander

-1 btw

Flamander
May 4, 2009
Well, thanks for the votes.

It's been a fun game.

2 penny bottle imp
Jun 11, 2008

Flamander posted:

Well, thanks for the votes.

It's been a fun game.

Any last thoughts on who you think is scummiest for pushing this bandwagon on you?

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Flamander posted:

also, because i'm gonna get lynched anyways

##vote Flamander

Don't self vote even if you are scum. Especially if you're not.

Flamander
May 4, 2009

2 penny bottle imp posted:

Any last thoughts on who you think is scummiest for pushing this bandwagon on you?

chores, probably???? He hasn't provided any reasoning and that makes me skeptical of his vote.

2 penny bottle imp
Jun 11, 2008

Flamander posted:

chores, probably???? He hasn't provided any reasoning and that makes me skeptical of his vote.

Would you mind unvoting yourself then? Because there's no deadline, so there's no need to rush this.

I mean if youre scum then just say so and I'll put you out of your misery.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Would you mind unvoting yourself then? Because there's no deadline, so there's no need to rush this.

Well, I mean, there is, it's in a bit under 6 hours as I type this

Flamander
May 4, 2009

I mean if youre scum then just say so and I'll put you out of your misery.

Alright. I'll unvote.

##unvote

votefinder
Jul 6, 2010

scoop scoop
Votecount for Day 2

Flamander (5): The Ninth Layer, derp, got some chores tonight, DivineCoffeeBinge, Flamander, flerp, Flamander
this is a stickup (3): yronic heroism, Mr. F!, Tobbs Gnawed, Flamander, Flamander
yronic heroism (2): this is a stickup, 2 penny bottle imp
Tobbs Gnawed (1): flerp, derp, Kashuno, The Ninth Layer, The Ninth Layer, got some chores tonight, this is a stickup, this is a stickup, flerp, derp, got some chores tonight
The Ninth Layer (0): Tobbs Gnawed, DivineCoffeeBinge, DivineCoffeeBinge, Tobbs Gnawed
got some chores tonight (0): flerp, DivineCoffeeBinge, DivineCoffeeBinge, flerp

Not Voting (1): Flamander

With 12 alive, it's 7 votes to execute. The current deadline is September 07th, 2017 at 8 p.m. CDT -- that's in about 5 hours, 19 minutes.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Flamander posted:

that guy people were voting earlier before it INEXPLICABLY changed to me and i'm so bitter about it???? He hasn't provided any reasoning and that makes me skeptical of his vote.

Flamander
May 4, 2009
##vote stickup

Going back to my older vote for now.

2 penny bottle imp
Jun 11, 2008

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Well, I mean, there is, it's in a bit under 6 hours as I type this

Oh poo poo, my b. I was looking at an old votefinder post before the new deadline was set, I guess.

Still, not great to vote yourself (unless you are scum in which case here have this rope).

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy

Flamander posted:

I was thinking the same thing. He's posted in bursts early D1, and so far he's done the same early D2. As you said, it looks like he's trying to get the needed amount of posts for the game out. It's not voteworthy, because for all I know chores could post more later on in D2, but it looks suspicious.

Read Flamander and this is really all that stuck out. Holding off on voting someone just in case they post later is really weird. We'll, there was this earlier.

Flamander posted:

Jokevotes vs no votes as a measure of scumminess is a useless debate imo; because you're using meaningless criteria to define whether a person is scum or town D1, when a lot of people either jokevote or don't vote early on.

##unvote

Nervously defending a jokevote also seems odd. Self-voting is never a good idea, and although momentum built up quickly, there wasn't so much indignance as instant defeatism. Also weird to self-vote before claiming. Even if it's a VT claim, why put yourself at -1 without saying anything?

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
because he's scum

sentimental snail
Nov 22, 2007

DID YOU SEE MY
PEYOTE QUEEN?
catching up in a few~

2 penny bottle imp
Jun 11, 2008

derp posted:

because he's scum

I mean ya, that seems pretty likely, but not definate.

Honestly I think Flerp is scummy in the way he just added another vote and announced that Flamander was at -1, basically asking someone to hammer immediately.

I don't think it's pro-town to end discussion early like that without solid evidence.

Flamander
May 4, 2009

Tobbs Gnawed posted:

Read Flamander and this is really all that stuck out. Holding off on voting someone just in case they post later is really weird. We'll, there was this earlier.

Nervously defending a jokevote also seems odd. Self-voting is never a good idea, and although momentum built up quickly, there wasn't so much indignance as instant defeatism. Also weird to self-vote before claiming. Even if it's a VT claim, why put yourself at -1 without saying anything?

The holding off on the chores vote was because I wanted to give him a chance to post. If he didn't, then yeah; I would have voted him if there was no one scummier.

The selfvote is because I've been lynched early on the past few games I was in, mainly because I try not to vote without a reason (and also because I'm not a very good jokeposter); so I figured that if the same thing's happening for, like, the 5th game in a row; I should vote for myself. Make D2 go a bit faster and then you dudes can actually get some flips on D3. Though, it sounds like an bad idea, now that I've said it. :shobon:

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
what would you consider solid evidence in this game of implications and innuendos we call mafia?

sentimental snail
Nov 22, 2007

DID YOU SEE MY
PEYOTE QUEEN?
wall of quotes inc. putting it out there now that I would vote flam though. probably only one of these two today.

sentimental snail
Nov 22, 2007

DID YOU SEE MY
PEYOTE QUEEN?

yronic heroism posted:

Hmm, no real response to this other than misdirection.

lmao you haven't responded to a single point against you, and your only real original though this game was a trap post I put out there to find scum. surprise!

this is a stickup posted:

long live georgia binnes

I forgot who I am

name dropped my last somber character, then specifically use the words who I am, rather than alignment. I put dumb posts out there early in games because scum are looking for easy votes early game so they don't get called out later on for not voting. (hi opop)

yronic heroism posted:

Lol, no town would say this

##vote stickup

unsurprisingly, yronic jumps on. even though you're just trying to put content down on paper here, you're still wrong. town scum claim sometimes. claiming that you forgot your role, character, or alignment isn't very farfetched, especially as there are those that sometimes don't even read their pm right away so they can look at D1 with completely neutral eyes. but the thing that really sold it was him doubling down on it.

yronic heroism posted:

town always remembers they're town, scum always remember they're scum

"i don't remember what i am" means scum trying to think of something natural to say but failing to think it through

yronic heroism posted:

What I'm saying is I don't believe this is a joke town would make.

I've been sitting on this for a while, but you can see me do the same thing in kashuno's finally finished game, video games: the mafia

hot take: video games, are bad

decided not to quote a bunch of what I was going to because 1) 2% battery and I can't charge for 30m, 2) Game Good No Spoilers imo, you should all read it. in the immediate, just read d1 + d2 flips, or click these links for the most relevant parts

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3830504&pagenumber=15&perpage=40#post475772800
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3830504&userid=190650#post475860861

as soon as I have something more on that person, I pounced. same thing here with all the weirdness going on in yronic's posts. the difference is, in that game I didn't have any incentive to push. I do here.

sentimental snail
Nov 22, 2007

DID YOU SEE MY
PEYOTE QUEEN?
I'll be back within an hour

sentimental snail
Nov 22, 2007

DID YOU SEE MY
PEYOTE QUEEN?
phone ate some. good thing I saved this in a text editor

yronic heroism posted:

Agreed

##vote Saith

the first vote on lurker 30m before deadline. reason: because that lurker isn't using their vote appropriately.

yronic heroism posted:

Yeah. Of a no-kill D1.

I would be far safer not changing my vote.

for some reason believes helping us no lynch would be "safer" for him. if would actually be safer for you to not change if you are scum and knew rf would flip town.

yronic heroism posted:

You are proving all my instincts from before correct.

never states what any of these are

yronic heroism posted:

Now this:

Immediately after this:

##vote stickup

I have a clearly viewable history in previous games of being against lynching replacements with one exception: if it is possible to turbo them before they've even opened the thread. nothing I said in either of these posts is false or wrong. again, tobbs knows this. tobbs always thinks I am scum and he is never right.

votefinder
Jul 6, 2010

scoop scoop
Votecount for Day 2

Flamander (5): The Ninth Layer, derp, got some chores tonight, DivineCoffeeBinge, Flamander, flerp, Flamander
this is a stickup (4): yronic heroism, Mr. F!, Tobbs Gnawed, Flamander, Flamander, Flamander
yronic heroism (2): this is a stickup, 2 penny bottle imp
Tobbs Gnawed (1): flerp, derp, Kashuno, The Ninth Layer, The Ninth Layer, got some chores tonight, this is a stickup, this is a stickup, flerp, derp, got some chores tonight
The Ninth Layer (0): Tobbs Gnawed, DivineCoffeeBinge, DivineCoffeeBinge, Tobbs Gnawed
got some chores tonight (0): flerp, DivineCoffeeBinge, DivineCoffeeBinge, flerp

Not Voting (0):

With 12 alive, it's 7 votes to execute. The current deadline is September 07th, 2017 at 8 p.m. CDT -- that's in about 1 hour, 56 minutes.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

I have a clearly viewable history in previous games of being against lynching replacements with one exception: if it is possible to turbo them before they've even opened the thread. nothing I said in either of these posts is false or wrong. again, tobbs knows this. tobbs always thinks I am scum and he is never right.

Anyone feel like verifying this? I'm certainly willing to believe it but I'm going to have to bow before the knowledge of other people who've played Mafia with stickup, because while I enjoy the game and all I'm not looking to do homework. Anyway if it turns out to be 100% true and verifiable and trustworthy, the second part of this post can probably be disregarded:

I'm honestly not a huge fan of lengthy effortposts that are devoted to making a case about someone but spend half the time talking about the posting player's strategies and tendencies; they strike me as scummy (as much as I hate this term) virtue signalling.

2 penny bottle imp
Jun 11, 2008

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Anyone feel like verifying this? I'm certainly willing to believe it but I'm going to have to bow before the knowledge of other people who've played Mafia with stickup, because while I enjoy the game and all I'm not looking to do homework. Anyway if it turns out to be 100% true and verifiable and trustworthy, the second part of this post can probably be disregarded:

I'm honestly not a huge fan of lengthy effortposts that are devoted to making a case about someone but spend half the time talking about the posting player's strategies and tendencies; they strike me as scummy (as much as I hate this term) virtue signalling.

I won't bother verifying because of the second bolding there; going game to game for meta arguments, to me, is weak. But I agree with a lot of stickup's post and it expresses more eloquently how I feel about Yronic. Again, I don't like how silent he went after he had 2 votes on him. The case against Flamander may be cleverly/conveniently timed.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
yeah i guess i'd vote for yronic but i feel better about falamander right now

sentimental snail
Nov 22, 2007

DID YOU SEE MY
PEYOTE QUEEN?
against killing a player that was due to replace out, and advocate not killing the replacement without giving them time. eventually I vote to kill since no replacement comes. quotes combined, first one here
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3803834&userid=127770&pagenumber=2#post468354658

quote:

well that sure is some stuff. ecco is asking for a replacement now so I am not interested in voting pera
-
letting a town player that is not playing be replaced by someone who will is objectively better than killing said town player
-
I think we should at least give a potential replacement some time. if there is still no replacement when the day is coming to a close tonight, deaderize him then
-
and since bird seemingly has no replacement coming
##for the birds
-
I do think you should reconsider on bird, as if no replacement is coming, the absent player could become a negative

replaced into gateway to greed d2, deal with anti-replacement sentiment all game. choice quote:

quote:

bk's entire argument against me was that I replaced into this game. there rest of his argument was against rarity.

entertainment is the only valid reason to push a replacement just for being a replacement

from snes mafia in this series:

wow some very rude posters in this thread. yes hello I am not the scum please don't allow them to drive a turbo on me before I can even check in

hi moat yes, I did actually agree that killing me before I was free to post was hilarious

and to whoever wondered at the time, I defended flam as I was hoping he'd get to survive longer as scum this time :v:

starting from here, peg scum D1 for the same type of posts yronic makes here https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3809832&userid=127770#post469705176

here's a big post where I am town and posting like this, plus catching scum (infinitum) D1 based entirely on his posting strats and tendencies. archived so no quote:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3813789&pagenumber=9&perpage=40#post470629501

sentimental snail
Nov 22, 2007

DID YOU SEE MY
PEYOTE QUEEN?

I won't bother verifying because of the second bolding there; going game to game for meta arguments, to me, is weak. But I agree with a lot of stickup's post and it expresses more eloquently how I feel about Yronic. Again, I don't like how silent he went after he had 2 votes on him. The case against Flamander may be cleverly/conveniently timed.

the case against flamander is reasonable and good though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

lmao you haven't responded to a single point against you

Not true. You yourself are quoting my responses. You are scummy as hell with your back to the wall though at this point I actually think 2 penny bottle imp may be more scummy for trying to bandwagon and pulling a "me-too" on your posts.

• Locked thread