Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Eiba posted:

Yeah, I think the Expanse avoids that cynical extreme. The books especially show pretty idyllic attitudes towards sex/gender/non-standard relationships, for instance. All of that stuff is explored and fine in the future. But people are still people and capitalism is still capitalism (even if it's a given that everyone's in a union, and no one on Earth has to pay for housing and healthcare), and there are still deep divides between people and individual greed that leads to horrible tragedies.

It's not the anti-Star Trek. It's not exploring a pessimistic extreme in contrast to an optimistic ideal. It's just kind of grinding along, with some things improving but people continuing to be people. I think it's going to ultimately be optimistic- it's about people trying to make a difference in a lovely world- but the books are pretty drat dark so far.

I crossed off the stuff that is not in the TV show. It looks a lot bleaker, doesn't it? Books don't count.

There is pretty much 0 evidence of the common people enjoying anything. Even on Mars, where many people are well off (arguably we saw mostly rich people tho), is a straight up military dictatorship. One of the main events in the series is genocide for which nobody gets punished!

e: last edit, Expanse has one of the best spaceship fights to ever exist. It rules.

Anyway this is really off topic. Orville is gonna be the opposite of this for sure.

3 DONG HORSE fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Sep 7, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
I'm hesitant to call The Expanse an anti-Star Trek because a lot of the show is about a small group of people or individuals trying to their best to fight or stop or at least improve that nasty rear end poo poo that makes the world they live in so crappy for most people. Something like Lexx, which was just a bunch of horny fuckers trying to get laid while casually blowing up planets is probably more of an anti-Star Trek.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

"Game of Thrones is a show about hope and optimism because Jon Snow fights evil" is your argument

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
I don't watch GoT so I can't speak to your comparison but I didn't say The Expanse was explicitly about hope and optimism, I just tried to point out that it isn't really an anti-Trek.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

My whole point is that it doesn't fill the Star Trek niche. Grim or optimistic, it's just a different subgenre.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Lexx is absolutely the anti-trek. No one is trying to do the right thing or save anything, the universe ends up being destroyed, , the male lead can never get laid and is a pathetic coward no one likes, they leave a trail misery behind them. Expanse is just a "GRITTY" "REALISTIC" cyberpunk future of mega-corps and government conspiracies and a brave little crew of the player characters go around doing missions. Expanse is basically just someone's space D&D brought to film.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
Anti-Trek would be pointedly dystopian. Lexx's themes were sex and decay. It seems a little off-mark.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

Let's settle this. The Anti-Trek is STD because it's gonna be so bad we will wish for WW3

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
Is there any stuff that gets into the Eugenics War or is it just left at "a war related to eugenics happened."

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Is there any stuff that gets into the Eugenics War or is it just left at "a war related to eugenics happened."

It's really just talked about and never shown, which is a shame cause it sounds like really exciting stuff. The closest I think they ever come is the first episode with Q's trial and First Contact, but both those happen long after the Eugenics Wars themselves.

There's a couple novels that delve into different ideas about it, but you know, novels.

You can make up your own events though. For instance, you can choose to believe that Mad Max takes place in the Star Trek universe.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Al Borland Corp. posted:

From various write ups I had read on Arstechnica I just got the impression it was about mining labor disputes.

Its good you should watch it.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Pretty sure after early TNG they forget it ever happened, especially with Voyager 90s time travel.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Phi230 posted:

Its good you should watch it.

Nah I don't got cable

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Nah I don't got cable

you got internet right

there are things called streaming and other ways

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

socialsecurity posted:

Pretty sure after early TNG they forget it ever happened, especially with Voyager 90s time travel.

Iirc, they didn't forget about it as much as retconned it into a war that happened under the surface of most people. Not really sure how that works, but whatever.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Phi230 posted:

you got internet right

there are things called streaming and other ways

Nah I don't do dat. If it's on Netflix or Amazon I'll check it out

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

MisterBibs posted:

Iirc, they didn't forget about it as much as retconned it into a war that happened under the surface of most people. Not really sure how that works, but whatever.

There was a nuclear holocaust, but only online.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Al Borland Corp. posted:

I believe Amazon has the US rights.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

Eugenics War / WW3 would be a loving amazing TV series. I feel like there's potential to treat it like DS9 (versus like TOS or TNG). Correct me if I'm wrong but humans are still actively researching spaceflight despite all this so that would be a cool way to center it on technology and hope without making it the most depressing series ever.

Al Borland Corp. posted:

It's on Prime, that's how I watched it!

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

3 DONG HORSE posted:

Eugenics War / WW3 would be a loving amazing TV series. I feel like there's potential to treat it like DS9 (versus like TOS or TNG). Correct me if I'm wrong but humans are still actively researching spaceflight despite all this so that would be a cool way to center it on technology and hope without making it the most depressing series ever.

IMHO, I feel like that's territory best left as nebulous, unfilmed backstory. That way no matter what the specific horrors of the next century actually are, Star Trek can still play as a fantasy future for it all.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Jeb! Repetition posted:

We know Khan was involved in it. And we also know that bringing Khan back into modern Trek is a bad idea.

VivaLa Eeveelution
Apr 3, 2011

socialsecurity posted:

That's an alternate timeline where some dick succeeded where Rasmussen failed. Entirely possible that the injection of 'innovation' into society detracted from the perceived need to breed/genetically tinker a better human.

Kinda sad how Relativity made hobo!Braxton the fortunate version for not being Minority Report'd to time prison.

oh my god what have i done with my life

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
I'd want new Trek to pick up post-DS9. It'd be about dry rot and internal/external discontent.

If the Federation is globalization/liberalism, you could map oligarchy onto military rule and you could map resistance to globalization onto resentment of Federation bigotry.*

Science fiction succeeds best when it puts today's problems into tomorrow's context. I think they could do this again and again by drawing inspirado from, specifically, the failures of neoliberalism and neoconservatism.

I'd watch that!

Edit: * It's a human-vulcan society for the advancement of space communism. This isn't everyone's dream.

War sans End
Feb 3, 2006
enter text here
I'm getting the impression that the problem that reviewers have with The Orville is that it's not Family Guy in Space. I wonder if they were upset that Neil deGrasse Tyson didn't relay a story about the discovery of the Cleveland Steamer on Cosmos.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Accretionist posted:

I'd want new Trek to pick up post-DS9. It'd be about dry rot and internal/external discontent.

If the Federation is globalization/liberalism, you could map oligarchy onto military rule and you could map resistance to globalization onto resentment of Federation bigotry.*

Science fiction succeeds best when it puts today's problems into tomorrow's context. I think they could do this again and again by drawing inspirado from, specifically, the failures of neoliberalism and neoconservatism.

I'd watch that!

Edit: * It's a human-vulcan society for the advancement of space communism. This isn't everyone's dream.

I tried finding a screen that could display the appropriately sized :jerkbag: for this tired deconstructionist cynicism but they kept kicking me out of the IMAX projection booth.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
The Eugenics War happened in the 90's. There are no aliens, no starships, no phasers, basically nothing tying it to Star Trek other than Khan. That'd be pretty difficult to make and market.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

War sans End posted:

I wonder if they were upset that Neil deGrasse Tyson didn't relay a story about the discovery of the Cleveland Steamer on Cosmos.

Well, now I'm upset about it anyway.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
The most worrying review is the one from the AV Club because they completely get what Seth MacFarlane's going for and even agrees that it's desirable but still don't think it works, and in pretty much exactly the ways I feared.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

vermin posted:

It's really just talked about and never shown, which is a shame cause it sounds like really exciting stuff.

I wish this was done more often, myself. Sometimes less is more, and whenever shows do flashbacks to show you something that get referred to in the past, it's always underwhelming and just retroactively ruins the things that referred to it.
Case in point: The Star Wars prequels.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Beat me to it, I was about to say look how filling in the backstory for the clone wars turned out. (Not talking about the animated one)

Jeb! Repetition posted:

The most worrying review is the one from the AV Club because they completely get what Seth MacFarlane's going for and even agrees that it's desirable but still don't think it works, and in pretty much exactly the ways I feared.

Yeah, I read this too and it seems closest to an honest assessment of the show. Then again, it wouldn't be a TNG-or-later Trek if it didn't start out wildly uneven...

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Or star wars rebels, which is awful

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Pakled posted:

The Eugenics War happened in the 90's. There are no aliens, no starships, no phasers, basically nothing tying it to Star Trek other than Khan. That'd be pretty difficult to make and market.

They tried to do a Gary Seven spinoff back during TOS, which wouldn't have had much of anything to do with Star Trek either. But that kind of proves your point, since the network/studio/etc showed no interest in it.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I don't understand why anything has ever been written since the first time a bad writer wrote a bad thing. How could a story possibly be good after that? :iiam:

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Al Borland Corp. posted:

it is indeed on amazon

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Tanks bub

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
New tv spot with decent joke at the end!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rv9E7RzTAiU

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

The_Doctor posted:

Well, you're half right: it is a new TV spot

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up
Bob's Burgers > American Dad > Cleveland Show > Family Guy

Come on Macfarlane...come on Macfarlane pull a victory out of your rear end and don't be bad...turn it around by episode 6...

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe

The_Doctor posted:

I'm going to need Scott Grimes to do his Steve Smith voice sometime during the series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
At least let him bust out some hip hop.