Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MisterBear
Aug 16, 2013
Footman from Widows Watch to Moat Cailin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl
Ship from Sunset Sea to Bay of Ice

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

2 ships from Shipbreaker Bay to East Summer Sea.

Dancer
May 23, 2011
Map update

Tyrell to play.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Harrenhall into Stone Sept. Tyrell Str 2, Lanny Str 3.

Dancer
May 23, 2011
Tyrell plays:
[3] Ser Loras Tyrell: If you are attacking and win this combat, move the March Order token used into the conquered area to resolve again later this round.
Lannister plays:
[2] The Hound: 2 Fortifications
Final combat strength: 5 vs. 5. Tyrell victory. Lannister must retreat, and the Tyrell march order is moved into Stoney Sept.

Baratheon has no more march orders, so Lannister to play.

blackmongoose
Mar 31, 2011

DARK INFERNO ROOK!
Retreat to searoad marches. Move footman from Riverrun to Harrenhall, footman from Riverrun to Stoney Sept, and knight from Riverrun to Lannisport. Do not leave PT

MisterBear
Aug 16, 2013
Footman from The Fingers to The Twins

Dancer
May 23, 2011
Hey let's be patient for a bit there's a fight happening :P. Lannister marched one Footman into Stoney Sept, triggering a battle against Tyrell.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Cersei, meet Randyl

Nice defense and card rotation, by the way.

Dancer
May 23, 2011
So the Lannister Footman is destroyed, and Stark made their move.

Martell to play.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

Move Knight from Dragonstone to Starfall.
Siege from Dragonstone to Storm's End.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Just so I make sure I don't miss anything: Battle->Greyjoy->Tyrell->Tyrell, right?

Dancer
May 23, 2011
That's correct.

Dancer
May 23, 2011
Martell attack against Baratheon at Storm's End. 4 vs. 2.
Martell plays:
[2] Darkstar: 1 Sword
Baratheon plays:
[3] Renly Baratheon: If you win this combat, you may upgrade one of your participating Footmen (or one supporting Baratheon Footman) to a Knight.
Final strength: 6 vs. 5. Martell victory. Both Baratheon units are destroyed.

Greyjoy to play.

Dancer fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Sep 7, 2017

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

March Flint's Finger. Knight to Winterfell, Footman to Riverrun. Leave power.

Strength is 2v3, blade available.

EDIT: Didn't see Rverrun opening

gutterdaughter fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Sep 7, 2017

Dancer
May 23, 2011
How very thematic :v: .

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Lannister retreated to Searoad, not to Lannisport.

Dancer
May 23, 2011
Fixed.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

Dancer posted:

Martell attack against Baratheon at Storm's End. 4 vs. 2.
Martell plays:
Baratheon plays:
[3] Renly Baratheon: If you win this combat, you may upgrade one of your participating Footmen (or one supporting Baratheon Footman) to a Knight.
Final strength: 6 vs. 5. Martell victory. Both Baratheon units are destroyed.

Greyjoy to play.

If I'm reading the rules correctly, I don't think both of my units should be destroyed. Siege engines are destroyed if they're forced to retreat, but sword/fortification calculations happen before retreat. So the sword kills the seige engine, then the knight retreats.

Dancer
May 23, 2011
Okay, first glance at the rules seems to not be entirely on my side. The game explicitly says that routed units (which, just like siege engines, cannot retreat) cannot be sacrificed to resolve sword icons. I was sure I also read somewhere that the same applies to siege engines. I'll try to figure this out asap.

Dancer
May 23, 2011
Found it, page 3 of the FAQ:
Q: Can Siege Engines be chosen to satisfy the necessary number of casualties suffered as the loser in a combat?
A: No. Siege Engines are destroyed automatically as a result of losing combat in addition to all other casualties suffered.

E: sorry for the confusion, I get that it can be frustrating. I did mention this in my rules summary, but I get that if you know the game you won't be particularly inclined to go through that monster.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

Oh well, the game was already lost for me either way.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Move into Harrenhall from Stoney Sept.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

We've always played it with sacrificing siege towers as well, drat.

Dancer
May 23, 2011
Before I started this thing I didn't even know siege engines can't retreat :v: This game has many rules that are easy to overlook (and some that are not even mentioned in the rulebook).

Dancer
May 23, 2011
On phone so not as elaborate: played cards are Euron with the sword, Eddard, Tywin, and a 2-card. Greyjoy victory, and Lannister victory, gaining 2PT. Stark must retreat, and Tyrell to perform the final march.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

Unless I missed something, the Stark unit is dead from Euron's sword. The only place it's retreating to is hell.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Could I see a list of available cards? I'm on a cellphone and the app is not cooperating.

Dancer
May 23, 2011

Gutter Owl posted:

Unless I missed something, the Stark unit is dead from Euron's sword. The only place it's retreating to is hell.

What sword? Euron doesn't have a sword. I dunno what you're talking about. The totally living Stark unit in Winterfell is free to retreat.

Fat Samurai posted:

Could I see a list of available cards? I'm on a cellphone and the app is not cooperating.

So help me the Lord of Light, I hope I haven't screwed this up somehow. This should be the list.
House Stark:
[4] Eddard Stark: 2 Swords
[3] Robb Stark: If you win this combat, you may choose the area to which your opponent retreats. You must choose a legal area where your opponent loses the fewest units.
[2] Roose Bolton: If you lose this combat, return your entire House card discard pile into your hand (including this card).
[2] Greatjon Umber: 1 Sword
[1] Ser Rodrik Cassel: 2 Fortifications
[1] The Blackfish: You do not take casualties in this combat from House card abilities, Combat icons, or Tides of Battle cards.
[0] Catelyn Stark: If you have a Defense Order token in the embattled area, its value is doubled.

House Lannister:
[4] Tywin Lannister: If you win this combat, gain two Power tokens.
[3] Ser Gregor Clegane: 3 Swords
[2] The Hound: 2 Fortifications
[2] Ser Jaime Lannister: 1 Sword
[1] Tyrion Lannister: You may cancel your opponent's chosen House card and return it to his hand. He must choose a different House card to reveal. If he has no other House cards in his hand, he cannot use a House card this combat.
[1] Ser Kevan Lannister: If you are attacking, all of your participating Footman (including supporting Lannister footmen) add +2 combat strength instead of +1.
[0] Cersei Lannister: If you win this combat, you may remove one of your opponent's Order tokens from anywhere on the board.

House Baratheon:
[4] Stannis Baratheon: If your opponent has a higher position on the Iron Throne Influence track than you this card gains +1 combat strength.
[2] Ser Davos Seaworth: If “Stannis Baratheon” is in your discard pile, this card gains +1 combat strength and a sword icon
[2] Brienne of Tarth: 1 Sword, 1 Fortification
[1] Melisandre: 1 Sword
[1] Salladhor Saan: If you are being supported in this combat, the combat strength of all non-Baratheon Ships is reduced to 0.
[0] Patchface: After combat, you may look at your opponent's hand and discard one card of your choice.

House Greyjoy:
[4] Euron Crow's Eye: 1 Sword
[3] Victarion Greyjoy: If you are attacking, all of your participating Ships (including supporting Greyjoy Ships) add +2 to combat strength instead of +1.
[2] Theon Greyjoy: If you are defending an area that contains either a Stronghold or a Castle, this card gains +1 combat strength and a sword icon.
[2] Balon Greyjoy: The printed combat strength of your opponent's House card is reduced to 0.
[1] Asha Greyjoy: If you are not being supported in this combat, this card gains two Sword icons and one Fortification icon.
[1] Dagmar Cleftjaw: 1 Sword, 1 Fortification
[0] Aeron Damphair: You may immediately discard two Power tokens to discard Aeron Damphair and choose a different House Card from your hand (if able).

House Tyrell:
[4] Mace Tyrell: Immediately destroy one of your opponent's attacking or defending Footmen units.
[3] Ser Loras Tyrell: If you are attacking and win this combat, move the March Order token used into the conquered area to resolve again later this round.
[2] Ser Garlan Tyrell: 2 Swords
[2] Randyll Tarly: 1 Sword
[1] Alester Florent: 1 Fortification
[1] Margaery Tyrell: 1 Fortification
[0] Queen of Thorns: Immediately remove one of your opponent's Order tokens in any area adjacent to the embattled area other than the March Order token used to start this combat.

House Martell:
[4] The Red Viper: 2 Swords, 1 Fortification
[3] Areo Hotah: 1 Fortification
[2] Obara Sand: 1 Sword
[1] Nymeria Sand: If you are defending, this card gains a fortification icon. If you are attacking, this card gains a sword icon.
[1] Arianne Martell: If you are defending and lose this combat, your opponent may not move his units into the embattled area. They return to the area from which they marched. Your own units must still retreat.
[0] Doran Martell: Immediately move your opponent to the bottom of one Influence track of your choice.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

I have no idea what just happened. How does move into harrenhal from stony sept result in a 3way battle with 4 cards played? What? I think I'm just missing something, hard. :munch:

Dancer
May 23, 2011
Tyrell was impatient and moved in against Lannister while a Greyjoy-Stark battle was still happening in Winterfell. These people are just too bloodthirsty.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

Dancer posted:

What sword? Euron doesn't have a sword. I dunno what you're talking about. The totally living Stark unit in Winterfell is free to retreat.

House Greyjoy:
[4] Euron Crow's Eye: 1 Sword

...okay, I honestly can't tell if this is :thejoke:, or if I'm missing something and the Stark unit got saved somehow.

gutterdaughter fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Sep 8, 2017

Dancer
May 23, 2011
Sorry, that was me being "snarky". In my head no-one would use the word "totally" in that situation un-ironically, but I get that maybe not everyone agrees :v:.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

Okay, I thought that was the case. But when you said the unit was "free to retreat," I took that as an actual game instruction to the Stark player, and got confused.

MisterBear
Aug 16, 2013

Dancer posted:

On phone so not as elaborate: played cards are Euron with the sword, Eddard, Tywin, and a 2-card. Greyjoy victory, and Lannister victory, gaining 2PT. Stark must retreat, and Tyrell to perform the final march.

Wait - how does it figure that Greyjoy won against Stark? 2 (greyjoy) vs 3 (stark), +4 on each side. 1 Sword for Greyjoy, 2 Swords for Stark. That's a Stark victory, no?

Dancer
May 23, 2011
Okay, this kinda sucks, and maybe I should've been clearer in differentiating the things, but you're confusing two game systems there. The sword icons on the house cards do not affect combat strength at all. They simply mean you can destroy enemy units instead of routing them, if you win the fight. The "Valyrian Steel Blade token" (that we interchangeably call blade/sword, because it's shaped like a very normal sword in the usual game) is a thing that the player at the top of the Fiefdoms track has that they may activate once each turn to get a +1 to combat strength. GutterOwl did just that (and then broke the tie by being higher on the Fiefdoms track). I'm sorry for the confusion.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

The top of each politics track gets a special bonus.
  • Highest on the Iron Throne track (currently Baratheon) gets the Iron Throne, which decides all noncombat ties.
  • Highest on the King's Court track (currently Lannister) gets the Messenger Raven, which lets him redact an order or mess with the wildlings each Action Phase.
  • Highest on the Fiefdoms track (currently Greyjoy) gets the Valyrian Steel Blade, which I can spend once per Action Phase to add +1 to a combat result after card reveal.

What Dancer needed to clarify:
Greyjoy sends 2 strength versus Stark's 3 strength. We each reveal our house cards (4s), for 6v7. Greyjoy spends the Valyrian Steel Blade for the round, making it 7v7. Greyjoy is higher on the Fiefdoms track and thus wins the tie.

I've used the Blade several times in various combats thusfar, but they were against Lannister, and you might not have noticed. And we've been sort of lax on making the terminology distinction between Sword Icons (on house cards, which determine casualties) and the Blade (the +1 combat bonus), referring to the latter as "the sword" a couple times.

I didn't realize that you weren't aware of the blade, and should've made certain you were fully aware of my combat capabilities this round. I'm sorry about that, that's my bad.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

March from Oldtown into Starfall

(sorry, nimby)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dancer
May 23, 2011
Tyrell attack against Martell at Starfall. Strength 0 vs. 4.
Tyrell plays:
[1] Alester Florent: 1 Fortification
Martell plays:
[2] Obara Sand: 1 Sword
Final strength 1 vs. 6. Martell victory. The Tyrell Footman retreats to Oldtown.

Resolving Consolidate Power orders:
Baratheon may gain 3 PT or muster at King's Landing
Stark +2 PT
Greyjoy +3 PT
Tyrell +4 PT

• Locked thread