Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Owers
Nov 13, 2004

I want to be lean and mean.

Dr. Fetus posted:

Good grief! :stare:

quote:

Salmon Run:
Sting Ray, Splashdown – same changes as in battles (above)

Hoo boy, Stingers are about to get a whole lot more obnoxious to deal with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Owers posted:

i'm pretty sure that's just going to apply to the player and not the boss

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Several kits with the Sting Ray just got a whole lot better! Sloshing Machine is definitely gonna see a significant rise in usage.

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

Boy, it sure is nice to be able to hit people using inket now, and not be spawn camped by two of them using it with impunity. Even better, smacking them down when they try to use it as a get out of jail free card like it was before.

Boy, it sure is nice to not instantly die the second a tri-slosher sees you.

Boy, it sure is nice that the hamster ball isn't swatted away like a household fly anymore.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Tri-Slosher status: Still good.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Sep 8, 2017

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Did the update just drop at 10pm eastern?

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

The new Sting Ray is terrifying. It is actually a miniature Killer Wail now. :stonk:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Owers posted:

There's no way they are applying that change to stingers. Stingers were already way more lethal than an inkling with the stingray.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
At last I can use Sloshing Machine and mayyyyybee the Clash Blaster if it gets more buffs in that October patch

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I will learn the Slosh Machine, and add it's knowledge to my repertoire. Now that the Stinger is cool and good.

Bucket supremacy.

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."
I loved the Sloshing machine before the patch and now that it's super is usable I'm digging it even more.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

The specials are so much more fun to use now. :swoon:

RIP Tentatek Splattershot though, holy poo poo. I think that kit is the biggest loser of the patch. Tri-Slosher got enough small hits to make it not completely ridiculous (maybe), but Tentatek got straight up dumpstered.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
https://twitter.com/NintendoEurope/status/906079684785557509
Custom Splattershot Jr coming tomorrow.

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My defenses are impregnable
My arms are tired
It's gonna have autobombs and an inkstorm.
Probably the most fun variation of the weapon.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

The Gorp posted:

It's gonna have autobombs and an inkstorm.
Probably the most fun variation of the weapon.

Oh, that's beautiful. Especially after the Ink Storm buff. :getin:

Tri-Slosher trip report: It's still a good weapon. It's just not a crutch bad players can rely on now. Anyone who was actually good with the weapon will probably still be good with it. Though I encountered some really bad Tri-Slosher players up here. Some people really did not adjust to the nerfs well at all. :laffo:

throw to first DAMN IT
Apr 10, 2007
This whole thread has been raging at the people who don't want Saracen invasion to their homes

Perhaps you too should be more accepting of their cultures
https://twitter.com/vsamidarexple2v/status/905728390048579584/video/1
Is this the new meta?

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
Ahhh gently caress I hope that person does the entirety of Bee Movie in inkopolis.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
Rolling Stones magazine interviewed the sole gaijin in the Splatoon dev team, Jordan Amaro. Copy pasting from GoNintendo because I'm a lazy hack.

Rolling Stones posted:

RS: You once said that when you went to work for Kojima at Konami, you possessed “westerner’s knowledge” that was a hindrance rather than a help.

JA: “Hindrance” is probably not the word. It is a hindrance if you persist in that way of thinking while the team is going in a different direction.

It’s not just language. It’s a way to perceive games, and the user. I see it on Splatoon right now. You look at Splatoon, and then people look at Overwatch. These are two totally different games. Overwatch is a self-service game. You boot the game and say, “Hey, I like this mode. I like this character. And I’m only ever going to play this mode, this character, and this map.” You’re like, “I’m going to get what I want.”

But in Japan, everything is tailored. You’ve probably heard Sheena Iyengar’s TED talk, in which she went to a restaurant in Japan and tried to order sugar in her green tea. The people at the cafe said, “One does not put sugar in green tea,” and then, “We don’t have sugar.” But when she ordered coffee instead, it did come with sugar! In Japan, there’s a sense of, “We’re making this thing for you, and this is how we think this thing is better enjoyed.” This is why, in Splatoon, the maps rotate every couple of hours. And the modes change. “I bought this game. Why can’t I just enjoy this game the way I want?” That’s not how we think here. Yes, you did buy the game. But we made this game. And we’re pretty confident about how this game should be enjoyed. If you stick with us, and if you get past your initial resistance, you’re going to have the time of your life with this game. You’re really going to love it.

RS: You think you know what we want better than we know what we want?

JA: We think we know what you don’t know you want.

You think you know what you want. But we know what you will want once you understand it. There has to be some effort from the player to play ball with the developer, just like in a restaurant where there is a course menu. You enter the restaurant, and this is the course today. It’s displayed outside the restaurant. When you enter the restaurant, you know what you’re going to eat. Once you’re inside, if you want to eat something different, that’s not how it works.

RS: With Splatoon 2, there definitely are people who want to know why they can’t play the Salmon Run mode all the time.

JA: I’m not allowed to speak on it, because I’m not the game director. What I can say, and what I think can be said, is that there are lots of reasons. You have to trust us that if you could play Salmon Run online anytime, that would result in a worse experience for you and everybody.
So there you have it. Asking to play Salmon Run with friends anytime online is like asking for ketchup mayonnaise at a haute cuisine restaurant. You either like it as is or get out. you uncivilized barbarian. :wotwot:

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
I'm going to use the custom jr. until the nzap 89 comes out. Love those autobombs

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Cross-posting for reminder that the Splatoon 2 switch bundle, which includes the case the green/purple joycons, is out today, exclusive to Walmart.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Rexroom posted:

Rolling Stones magazine interviewed the sole gaijin in the Splatoon dev team, Jordan Amaro. Copy pasting from GoNintendo because I'm a lazy hack.

So there you have it. Asking to play Salmon Run with friends anytime online is like asking for ketchup mayonnaise at a haute cuisine restaurant. You either like it as is or get out. you uncivilized barbarian. :wotwot:

I mean this does mean you don't get the equivalent of 24/7 2fort ctf servers, so...

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Dr. Fetus posted:

Good grief! :stare:

HELL YES

Roll Fizzlebeef
Sep 9, 2003

raditts posted:

Cross-posting for reminder that the Splatoon 2 switch bundle, which includes the case the green/purple joycons, is out today, exclusive to Walmart.

I got one at midnight. The joycons are extremely fresh.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Didn't see it upthread, but they also made some changes with matchmaking.

quote:

Along with this update, additional adjustments have been made to refine matchmaking criteria in Ranked Battles so players with much closer Power Rating will get matched up even in the same rank. How much ranks rise or fall will be adjusted based on this criteria. The tendency for rank above S+ will not change with this update.

The next update is scheduled in mid-October and will target performance improvement of some main weapons.

Also the official English patch notes.

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT

LethalGeek posted:

never who's fault? It was Nintendo's fault they over tweaked it originally.

I read that like ten times trying to figure out if he's thinks people are blaming players for the weapon being overpowered

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

whaley posted:

I read that like ten times trying to figure out if he's thinks people are blaming players for the weapon being overpowered

I gathered it was some smug bullshit of ok you big babies we fixed the broken weapon but you still suck so you'll just blame something else :qq:

Somehow ignoring all of us who plainly don't suck at this game saying the same thing (and plenty using it cause it was OP shhhhh)

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."
Got the Splatoon 2 bundle for my significant other, it's really really nice. Walmart also had about 20 of them, if anyone is on the fence I highly recommend it.

Polish Avenger
Feb 13, 2007
has an invalid opinion.
Vanilla splattershot kit is ok. Burst bombs are handy and versatile. Splashdown is better now but I'm still not sure how to get good value from it. I kinda like it as a way to deny a kill or refill my ink when I'm in trouble, but that kinda leads into holding it which is never ideal. Inkjet is still pretty good at that too plus it inks more and has more killing potential.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Polish Avenger posted:

Vanilla splattershot kit is ok. Burst bombs are handy and versatile. Splashdown is better now but I'm still not sure how to get good value from it. I kinda like it as a way to deny a kill or refill my ink when I'm in trouble, but that kinda leads into holding it which is never ideal. Inkjet is still pretty good at that too plus it inks more and has more killing potential.

Value from splashdown is highly map/comp based. You will almost never be able to just walk into a group and use it - it gets you out of a jam when you see ink heading in your direction and know you will be dead before you can face your opponent. It also lets you completely clear the tower/splat zone, especially when you drop in from above. It also puts the entire enemy team on notice that camping super jump zones is a bad idea.

ZeButler
Oct 2, 2013

An example of Neph's last point is that goons that play with me regularly have stopped camping Super Jump landings (I'm a Splat Roller/Hero Roller main).

EDIT: To actually add to the conversation, another thing about Splashdown is that there are two damage zones outside of the lethal zone, one for 70 damage and one for 55. You can use those ranges, and the brief invincibility you get when you land, to splat people that escape from the lethal area, or soften someone up first and use Splashdown to guarantee the splat. Splashdown can be devastating on The Reef Splat Zones, due to the zone being right below the bridge. A well positioned Splashdown can break, or take, the point in one action.

ZeButler fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Sep 8, 2017

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Dr Cheeto posted:

Didn't see it upthread, but they also made some changes with matchmaking.

Also the official English patch notes.

Did they lower the amount of damage the Ink armor can absorb? Or did they change it so that any attack that does 80+ damage instantly destroys it?

Ink Armor was good but I didn't think it was so good that it needed nerfing. Dang!

ZeButler
Oct 2, 2013

They made it so that, if single hit does over 100 damage, the damage past 100, up to a Max of 80 damage, bleeds through to the person you're hitting, bypassing the armor, as well as breaking it.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

how to use splashdown:

1) fill special
2) open map
3a) jump to someone who looks like they're in a bad position
3b) if it's splatzones or tower control, jump into the point
4) while mid air check to see if any enemies are where you're jumping
5) if 4=true, :getin:

like a poster above mentioned, one of my friends i regularly play with has been making a note to read player names in super jump markers and if she sees mine she just leaves instead of camping

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

it's extremely good in singular splatzones since people tend to be bunched up on it, i regularly get triple kills that way

also if you're in front of the path the tower is taking but not on the tower, popping splashdown will jump you up high enough that you will land on the tower. it's better to splashdown mid super jump because it comes out quicker that way (note: this may not be true but it feels like it) but splashdowning into a tower from below is sudden enough that it can get some people

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

I want more umbrellas. I want an umbrella with splash down or roller

Polish Avenger
Feb 13, 2007
has an invalid opinion.
Also, PSA, if you have a 1st gen Pixel, the Nintendo Switch app on Android fucks your volume control and bluetooth audio while it's open. You can close it to fix the issue or deny the mic permissions to be able to leave it open and not get the problem. . Obviously you can't use the voicechat if you deny the mic permissions.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

These are great changes and I can't wait to try that custom Splattershot Jr. tonight.

gently caress you, Tri-Sloshers.:lol:

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Tri Sloshers are still fine, all the false slosher noobs have just been removed from the player pool

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

In Training posted:

Tri Sloshers are still fine, all the false slosher noobs have just been removed from the player pool

The sheer amount of Tri-Slosher posers I've been running into on S+ disappoints me. Us real Tri-Sloshers should show everyone the true meaning of fear. :unsmigghh:

I've been trying out the Luna Blaster, and I've really been loving it. Any tips you all have for making use of it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Dr. Fetus posted:

The sheer amount of Tri-Slosher posers I've been running into on S+ disappoints me. Us real Tri-Sloshers should show everyone the true meaning of fear. :unsmigghh:

I've been trying out the Luna Blaster, and I've really been loving it. Any tips you all have for making use of it?

Play like you're using a carbon roller basically. Walls & corners are your friend, open space is death.