Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nawledgelambo
Nov 8, 2016

Immersion chariot
I just invested in a double steak chipotle burrito that I will not be selling to my friends

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

runsamok posted:

You betcha. I've got a pair of them (see avatar).

EDIT - Got the pic to work.
I have 3 wegies, they are great cats.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Lladre posted:

LoL if you believe they managed this. Just look at the games con demo.

I have my doubts, but I can't assume they didn't because they don't seem capable of it. Until proven wrong, I need to assume it's true. :shrug:

Just like with PCGamer, I had to assume the article was true right up until CIG proved it wrong. I know CIG likes to lie, a lot, about drat near everything; but I still got to give them the benefit of the doubt here. :)

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away
edit: nevermind

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer

That is my second spirit animal.

My first being

My Patron Saint of Hotdog Power Diets

Experimental Skin
Apr 16, 2016

This warms the rock nicely. Just remember to dispose of the toxic MRE waste safely before eating the rock.

Propagandist
Oct 23, 2007

excellent

runsamok
Jan 12, 2011

biglads posted:

EDIT - Got the pic to work.
I have 3 wegies, they are great cats.

I absolutely adore my two big fuzzy ladies. Super sweet & friendly.

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

doingitwrong posted:

This is glorious. I watched it through. Here's a summary of the whole story:

- The system is this place with a star like ours but only two uninhabitable planets.
- For a long time, the UEE controlled the system but no one knew why. Lots of conspiracy theories come up.
- In the end it turns out that the UEE is trying to build a 3rd planet FROM SCRATCH.
- This is a kind of moonshot program to engender good will with other species and show humanity can do great things.
- Once the project is revealed, humanity gets behind it in a big way.
- But it drags on and on, costing billions of credits.
- The main proponent of the project dies.
- It is discovered that one of the main contractors on the project that was meant to be siphoning gas of a nearby planet simply never built the refineries and stole all the money.
- The press gets wind of this and now the public opinion is turning against the project.
- Budget fights in space congress to defund the whole thing as the project veers into collapse.

Write what you know, I guess.

That idea is actually pretty loving cool.

You could have the miners of the gas planets just shooting it out into space. Big streams of gas directed out of the planet to navigate around the gravitational fields and orbits of systems, all arriving at one spot in space in a big swirly thingo. Say the project started ten thousand years ago and you have a really cool set piece.

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

You should have backed Transverse!

Latin Pheonix posted:

Am I crazy or is there something off with Sandi's head in the first picture?

https://twitter.com/SandiGardiner/status/905618709821227008

I feel like I'm going crazy, but her head looks like it was photoshopped to be bigger than it should be, is it just me? :psyduck:
Pretty sure Sandi has just finished feeding in this picture and her lower jaw is still unhinged.

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

You should have backed Transverse!

This time... This time it totally for realz!

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

G0RF posted:

ON THE SUBJECT OF CHRIS ROBERTS' WEALTH PRIOR TO STAR CITIZEN...

The much debated subject of whether Chris was independently wealthy prior to Star Citizen (fat with Wing Commander and film producer spoils) or whether he was down on his luck and on his way to desperation has already been answered and by a witness few would likely dismiss.

His "friend" (later revealed to be wife) described the time leading up to the Star Citizen crowdfunding campaign in some detail. Here is Sandi's summation, from the wonderful Sunny's Diner interview:

That isn't the kind of conversation that an independently wealthy man and his wife would have. It's been said before and repeatedly that Sandi has her own money, from family or whatever else, and Chris was the one growing increasingly desperate. Sandi's summation of that time period captures exactly that dynamic. It sounds like the pre-cursor to a "hit the road, Jack" conversation from a woman who don't want No Scrubs.

"I'm sure SOMEBODY is going to give you a job" is very like "The Backers (fans) will never know" - a perfect shorthand summary.

There is no logical reason Chris ever should've ended up in dire straits, not after the fat bank he made off the Wing Commander franchise, just as there is no reason Star Citizen should ever be at risk of running out of cash. But the illogical reason both appear to be true is Chris Roberts is a fool, and whenever he comes into money, he's parted from it in the proverbial tradition...

It might have something to do with spending it all on fancy cars, clothes and vacations on yachts as soon as some money comes in.

They are paying themselves fuckloads, but it is not that kind of money. I hope.

Rabelais D
Dec 11, 2012

ts'u nnu k'u k'o t'khye:
A demon doth defecate at thy door
Chris Roberts' career trajectory:

millionaire spacegame man ---> sleeping on a couch ---> millionaire spacegame man ---> ?????

I wonder what the next step in the cycle is?

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

ManofManyAliases posted:

I am a perfectly normal and sane individual who purchased 8k worth of digital media, sold off half to friends, and retained approx 3k of original investment so that I can have fun in the future, in spite of everything I've read or said in this thread for more than a year.

BTW, did the ELE happen yet? I'm getting anxious.

You have been in a comical "I'm really a backer guys!" backspin for a while now. Does it hurt your feelings nobody actually believes you are a backer for some reason? It's not like being a backer gives you any more or less credibility than you ever had.

You didn't spend 8k, and you don't still have 3k in it.

But do keep reminding us that you're a real backer in every post now because it's kind of cute. :allears:

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Whoa! :lol:

Maldoror
Oct 5, 2003

by R. Guyovich
Nap Ghost

Maldoror fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Sep 8, 2017

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

If it is the same company that did Hellblade, why is Hellblade faces so much better than CIG faces?

Dogeh
Aug 30, 2017

ShitMeter: -------------|- 99%

Latin Pheonix posted:

Am I crazy or is there something off with Sandi's head in the first picture?

https://twitter.com/SandiGardiner/status/905618709821227008

I feel like I'm going crazy, but her head looks like it was photoshopped to be bigger than it should be, is it just me? :psyduck:

Yeah I thought it was a bit big so I fixed it.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
:eyepop:

Maldoror
Oct 5, 2003

by R. Guyovich
Nap Ghost

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

Codezombie posted:

(a synthesis system for internal combustion engines )

A what?

EightAce
May 10, 2015

Watch it all come crashing down on his head and wonder why any of us gave him money in the first place.
Whatever happened to batgirl ?

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

big nipples big life posted:

nice one

now lets see who bites

It really was. He hit all the points too.

He's a backer.

People are mean to him and won't talk.

He's taking his toys and going home now.

Legal stuff yay!

Oh and of course sick jab at Derek.

I know MoMA is out of ammunition because CIG can't stop loving everything up, but he's really reverted back to original MoMA when he was trying to pull people's heartstrings to let him in the sandbox.

I'm braced for pages of MoMA bullshit now. :)

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

ManofManyAliases posted:

I'm not trolling anybody. I'm here to offer a differing opinion than one of group think over a person legitimately trying to make a game of his dreams. You guys libelously pile on, making up poo poo about Roberts being a used car salesman, getting a divorce, or leading people on in a fraudulent venture that anyone offering said dissent is driven down to talk about his/her recipes or digital ship ownership. This is the reason I've gone from talking less about CR's legal rights to do what he does, accounting for a crowd funded project, etc. to just toiling about as a goon on a forum about gay poo poo. So now I just go about my daily job, pop in ever so often and ask if the ELE happened (it appears as though it hasn't even though an ELE is a sudden and mass event and it was "called" a year ago).

It's not, you imbecile.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

EightAce posted:

Whatever happened to batgirl ?

Still asking those tough questions of CIG

https://twitter.com/discolando/status/904490923429691392

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Yikes. That's some seriously broken-brained poo poo, right there.

Chin
Dec 12, 2005

GET LOST 2013
-RALPH

Combat Theory posted:

But dont go at the end and tell me "no one could have seen it coming"
They'll say that no matter what because they're stupid people who think they're intelligent. If they couldn't see it coming then no one could have. Everyone who said SC was impossible and doomed from the outset were just trolls who lucked into being correct.

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

Sabreseven posted:

Lol, there's some weird people in the world. :D

I can actually understand markets marking up emergency supplies though, that's just good business when an act of nature happens. Supply and demand and all that good stuff. :)

As an aside though, global warming and global cooling are just natural processes that the planet goes through, solar activity has more to do with it than anything humans could possibly do, I laugh at the 'save the planet' types who think they make a difference to a planetary cycle that's billions of years old. It happens, nothing we can do to stop it or change it.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Combat Theory posted:

Gentlemen, Ladies and Boatsexuals, i will attempt an Effortpost.

But first, put one some fitting music to set the atmosphere

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2LE0KpcP05I

For MoMa,

Hello MoMa. I have to say i enjoy how you rattle the Cage once in a while in here, although your older self i liked more.

You have mentioned something a few replies back that actually triggered my senses after all.

My Moment is here finally. YES i do have skin in this game. technically just because CIGs refund department is as bad with numbers as the rest of the company, but i DO have skin in this game so here we go.

MoMa. I hate to post this under a lame Forum Name. it would be a million times more epic, if you were actually who your signature suggest you are, to post this under my actual Username and credentials, but that time is still to come.

MoMa. with all the credibility that comes with an Account for a dead gay comedy forum that i didnt even pay for... This Game is doomed. The Project is doomed on every level. I say that as a person who knows more about the Limitations of the Desings, the Implementations, the Creativity, The Numbers, The Solution finding processes and the Management of Critical Key Gameplay Components and features than almsot everyone inside or outside CIG.

I am a Backer, even if i am not emotionally anymore. And i took my role in all this very, very serious. I learned about every critical aspect of this Game from what is on my hard drive, i learned listening to the Devs, listening to their thinking Process, watching their solutions and tracking their Implementations in every patch that was ever released for Star Citizen. I learned what makes the ships fly, i learned how the networking functions. I learned how Controllers are utilized, learned what plays into the hands of certain design aproaches. It got to the point where i could overcome the Designs, the calculations and the Solutions done within Months of Back and forth at CIG in a few Hours. Granted only to what i perceive is the core gameplay experience. Not Art, not Worlds or Levels.

I learned that the People who are paid with my money to design, code and build a space sim have not the knowledge, not the cohesion, not the talent and not the guidance or management to ever, ever produce a product that could remotely satisfy my desires for a good space sim. And when you wash away all the Fluff around the Core Experience of what is Star Citizen... and what it always was set out to be... that is the only logical conclusion. I hold no grudge against CIG. They banned my friends for bad mouthing bad decisions, they wronged their customers and changed every Agreement to their favor over time. But i dont care for that. I was never interrested in being friends with people at CIG. and i wasnt dissapointed nor suprised that they enforce those business practices. i didnt pay for friendship or special treatment. i paid for a product. And all i ever did was watching - closer than almost everyone else - and learning where that product goes in every aspect of Spaceflight, Spacecombat, Multiplayer and Performance. because those are the only important ingredients to work on in any kind of Alpha of Online Space Sim.

CIG failed to provide and conserve ANYTHING significant or outstanding in this regard. and every Inch they gained in the earlier years they undid by treating the literal heart of a spacesim as a lazy afterthought - "fix it in beta" -

I have digged deep in my time. I have seen and understood how the very core of this game works. What numbers go in it, what Functions keep it together. And the core is rotten. And nobody cares enough to fix it. worse. People. Key personnel in CIG to this day defends every bad decision, every wrong calculation, every mismanagement in this regard and its result as "Gameplay that our Backers love and we must preserve"

This shows not only the ultimate disconnect. This shows the Flaw in the core of the company. CIG, with its 400+ employees doesnt have a single person who understands the needs of a good space sim. or the needs of a good multiplayer title in that regard.

Its easy to blame it all on Roberts looking how this shapes up to be a repeation of his history and im not gonna blame Developers for lacking critical knowlegde and understanding for their position and area of ressponsibility, because its not their job to make sure they fulfill those requirements. But i have also not seen the Devs working towards imrpoving their knowledge in this regard.

Indeed whenever there was a moment of Clarity, a moment where a single guy in a place of responsiblity, came out after Weeks and Weeks or even Months of being hammered about whats wrong with the game, and asked about it in a public place, he was cared for, comforted and ignored the little bit of people who legitimately tried to present him with the core of the problem.

Go to Spectrum, look at the Dev comments. Look what happens to critical thinking.

There is no Knowledge. There is no understanding of the Problems. There is no desire to improve. The community will wank this thing into the ground together with CIG and roberts at the wheel. I hate that it is so. I lost years of my online Life to this. But thats the reality.

If it takes a Backer with Skin in this game to tell you so be it. i dont have 8000+ on my account. But im a Backer.

This Game is a death march. its sickened by literally every design fallacy possible at this point and it will continue to be.

I dont care personally if you wanna go down with the ship.

But dont go at the end and tell me "no one could have seen it coming"

:perfect:
:five::five::five:

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Sandi is to acting what Chris is to game development.

:vince:

See? This is why Sandi excommunicated you from the cult.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

ManofManyAliases posted:

I'm not trolling anybody. I'm here to offer a differing opinion than one of group think over a person legitimately trying to make a game of his dreams. You guys libelously pile on, making up poo poo about Roberts being a used car salesman, getting a divorce, or leading people on in a fraudulent venture that anyone offering said dissent is driven down to talk about his/her recipes or digital ship ownership. This is the reason I've gone from talking less about CR's legal rights to do what he does, accounting for a crowd funded project, etc. to just toiling about as a goon on a forum about gay poo poo. So now I just go about my daily job, pop in ever so often and ask if the ELE happened (it appears as though it hasn't even though an ELE is a sudden and mass event and it was "called" a year ago).

I don't think you are wrong to point at that this forum really tends to amplify stuff that has nothing to do directly with Star Citizen. Whether or not Chris was a car salesman or getting a divorce or whatever really doesn't matter at all when it comes to the state of the project. You could make an argument that if he previous was not in the games industry (for several years) and now is in charge of a $150m~ project, maybe that's a little weird, but that almost doesn't really matter because the results will speak for themselves. Plenty of people in the industry do a really bad job at managing projects, and many people who've never been in the industry have done fantastic jobs on their first project. Regardless, the way this forum talks about CR's personal life is often times downright embarrassing and on par with the way reddit talks about people and ideas in an echo chamber (Dear SA: Stop being like reddit. Talk about things like not idiots tia.)

My point is that despite the narrative of how dumb Chris is here, or how amazing Chris is on /r/starcitizen, the results should speak for themselves, and I feel like they do. Gamescom was bad, and I feel like you agree with that. 3.0 has been delayed for drat near a year and I think you know as well as I do that a release on Oct 9th is not happening.

I still hope you eventually get a refund, friend!

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Oh my gosh it's for real this time!

I seem to recall last hurricane Derek did the same thing, and released something because it was almost upon him?

That was kind of weird. I hope he is evacuating this time instead of posting about Star Citizen ELEs.

Be safe, Derek! Be smart! :)

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Taintrunner posted:

I like the six different cartoon versions of himself being a really cool guy

He's just jealous he can't catch up to me yet with the thousands of cartoons I white star in.

Here's me taking my cartoon cat for a walk for example:

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

You clearly don't understand joke development :justpost:
Derek don't end up like Jose, I'm serious, get the gently caress out of there if you're in range of this beast of a hurricane

Gravity_Storm
Mar 1, 2016

Rabelais D posted:

Chris Roberts' career trajectory:

millionaire spacegame man ---> sleeping on a couch ---> millionaire spacegame man ---> ?????

I wonder what the next step in the cycle is?

It involves keeping your soap on a rope

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

I don't think you are wrong to point at that this forum really tends to amplify stuff that has nothing to do directly with Star Citizen. Whether or not Chris was a car salesman or getting a divorce or whatever really doesn't matter at all when it comes to the state of the project. You could make an argument that if he previous was not in the games industry (for several years) and now is in charge of a $150m~ project, maybe that's a little weird, but that almost doesn't really matter because the results will speak for themselves. Plenty of people in the industry do a really bad job at managing projects, and many people who've never been in the industry have done fantastic jobs on their first project. Regardless, the way this forum talks about CR's personal life is often times downright embarrassing and on par with the way reddit talks about people and ideas in an echo chamber (Dear SA: Stop being like reddit. Talk about things like not idiots tia.)

My point is that despite the narrative of how dumb Chris is here, or how amazing Chris is on /r/starcitizen, the results should speak for themselves, and I feel like they do. Gamescom was bad, and I feel like you agree with that. 3.0 has been delayed for drat near a year and I think you know as well as I do that a release on Oct 9th is not happening.

I still hope you eventually get a refund, friend!

This was the most reasonable and poignant response in many pages of this thread, which is why I chose to respond to it.

I'm not getting a refund. I'll ride this out to the end and if I lose my money, so be it. I'll be honest - I don't check-in to the project as often as some of you will believe. My primary day job and personal life take a good chunk of my time and I enjoy doing things away from the computer. That said, my initial claim of "disposable income" obviously hit some bleeding hearts in this thread direct-center (oh well). I threw money in I could afford to lose. But, the fact that you have nut jobs like Derek who, as a middle-aged man is not absolutely resolute in his being to let something like a quasi, poorly-manged project flail about to find footing without interjecting his own lovely opinions speaks volumes. He still doesn't get that he's a target of poking-fun, which is all cool and good. But no one here is going to be vindicated until we see the project through.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Can someone tell them you first need to release a game before you can be considered a classic game?

Nobody anywhere is posting classic screenshots of "Into The Shadows" anywhere. (https://youtu.be/kSRGLapSx3w)

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

You clearly don't understand joke development :justpost:
News just in: whale refuses to leave seaworld, audience relieved

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

VideoGames posted:

Because poor Beet is busy dealing with the very real effects of Hurricanes, I just wanted to step in and remind posters that climate change has 0 to do with Star Citizen. Perpetrating pages long slapfights on 'weather' it is real is far better suited to an entirely different sub forum.

FactsAreUseless posted:

Hey, maybe don't have a big fight about climate science just because one of your mods is busy.

Thank you both. Seriously.