Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
I loved B5 when it aired, because it was one of the only shows I'd ever seen where Earth of the future wasn't some giant space awesome place full of badass people. We were literally about to get genocided by the Minbari in a fight we started.

I felt bad when I learned the lead actor from Season 1 literally went crazy and lost his mind. I think that was part of the reason he got written out of the show in the way he did, because he just sort of vanished and showed up in season 2 I think for an episode or two, and then they gave his character a hell of a send off. Micheal O'Hare was a hell of an actor but dude had some problems.

Like 3/4 of the cast of that show has died :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
I mean if we're talking poo poo that didn't age well in the Simpsons, Homer choking Bart definitely doesn't sit right with me when I rewatch older episodes. It just seems kinda hosed up that was a running gag.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Old Simpsons has aged pretty poorly in that it was super transgressive for the time but now it mostly comes off as a bunch of smug Ivy Leaguers making the most bland mockery of suburban families possible. The fact that they go to church especially, I remember hearing that when the episode where Lisa is afraid that Homer is going to hell for stealing cable aired internationally a lot of people were puzzled by the idea of anybody still thinking that Hell was a real thing.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Guy Mann posted:

Old Simpsons has aged pretty poorly in that it was super transgressive for the time but now it mostly comes off as a bunch of smug Ivy Leaguers making the most bland mockery of suburban families possible. The fact that they go to church especially, I remember hearing that when the episode where Lisa is afraid that Homer is going to hell for stealing cable aired internationally a lot of people were puzzled by the idea of anybody still thinking that Hell was a real thing.

Is that really weird though? Kids are easily intimidated by that, especially given how many posts on the internet will rant how they were traumatized for life by stories of Hell in Sunday school. Early episodes of the Simpsons tried to play up Lisa as a smart kid but still a kid, she only became an unrealistic genius as the Flanders effect kicked in.

It does comes off as super weird knowing she becomes a Buddhist later though.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Guy Mann posted:

I'd like to see a citation on that one. It's hardly like the US is the only country with a large religious population.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

muscles like this! posted:

I believe Groening eventually talked about the black Smithers thing and it was just a coloring error. They had quite a few problems with the studio they originally went with including having to basically redo the entire episode about the babysitter who robs people because everything was completely off model and out of style for the show.

He did. And I'm not one to question the guy who made the show. But I always wondered why the coloring error was localized to Smithers only. He's the same shade as everyone else is, why didn't anyone else get discolored?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Detective No. 27 posted:

He did. And I'm not one to question the guy who made the show. But I always wondered why the coloring error was localized to Smithers only. He's the same shade as everyone else is, why didn't anyone else get discolored?

I think Smithers was supposed to be 'tanned' and the animators misunderstood.

That can happen on occasion; the Venture Bros has wanted to insert deliberate animation errors in homage to old cartoons, but the studio animates them correctly.

lifg posted:

Karate has not aged well. Being a black belt in karate was the most badass thing you could be in the 80s, and if you were a kid back then you probably lied being one at least once. Now every time I see or read Karate mentioned as a shortcut for "he was hardcore," I laugh a little and think about that joke on Archer.

Except for Karate Kid. That movie holds up, and it's 100% because it's just a good movie.

I wonder if this trend will to swing back around in the future? Like, will our current distaste of karate be seen as missing the point of a positive, friendly sport that provides good benefits?

Star Vs The Forces Of Evil has an odd comedic take on this; supporting protagonist Marco is a regular human who attends a mall dojo managed by a loser who still lives with his mother and learned karate from 80s instructional videos, but it works well enough for Marco to beat up monsters and gradually become near-superhuman. (Though it doesn't help that a lot of the monsters are portrayed as idiots who don't really know how to fight well) While the strip-mall sensei in another episode admits he only gives the rich brat student any recognition because his parents pretty much single-handedly keep him in business.

I think the rise of Mixed Martial Arts kinda destroyed a lot of the mystique of martial arts overnight, where it started as real life Street Fighter and now it's apparent the best hand-to-hand fighters aren't honourable warriors but angry roid ragers who punch each other in the dick for 10 minutes.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Davros1 posted:

Also shows that haven't age well, what about Hogan's Heroes? A comedy set in a Nazi POW camp?

Robert Clary - Corporal LeBeau on Hogan's Heroes - is a concentration camp survivor.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

The Skeleton King posted:

This thread got me thinking: what will people think of the current societal trends in media 20 years from now. A lot of things right now are caught up in the current push for acceptance of different sexuality, gender, culture, and race. This isn't a bad thing (I am not against it), but in the future when these things are finally normalized to society and people become far more relaxed to these things, will people see today's media as silly and trying too hard?

For example Steven Universe is heavily focused on "irregular" relationships and gender stuff, and it does a good job of not being too on the nose with it most of he time, but would people in the future give it points for that or just not care and find it too pushy?

I remember the aids episode of Captain Planet and how hilarious it is because of how on the nose it is and how ridiculous it seems now. It was probably ridiculous back then too, I'm sure. It's captain loving planet.

In fact, I find that many people now just laugh at how unenlightened people were in the past. Gay panic becomes funny to some people because it some would now consider it comical that a person would panic over someone being homosexual ( I understand that this is not always the case and many people may disagree with me very strongly and I understand why you would disagree and I respect your opinion, please do not take this the wrong way).

Please know that I probably have no idea what I am talking about and I don't feel strongly about this stuff either way. Sorry if I am backpedaling a lot. I get scared when talking about current social hot button stuff because people tend to overreact like crazy to this stuff.

It's just a post on a forum my friend you don't have to be so scared of everything

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012

RC and Moon Pie posted:

Robert Clary - Corporal LeBeau on Hogan's Heroes - is a concentration camp survivor.

Also most of the Nazi characters were played by Jews in the Mel Brooks style of comedic revenge.

If anything Hogan's Heroes is more relevant today. The central premise is that Nazis are pathetic because only the pathetic would become Nazis which holds up pretty well.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Inescapable Duck posted:

I think the rise of Mixed Martial Arts kinda destroyed a lot of the mystique of martial arts overnight, where it started as real life Street Fighter and now it's apparent the best hand-to-hand fighters aren't honourable warriors but angry roid ragers who punch each other in the dick for 10 minutes.

I mean you're not wrong if you're posting from like 1996 or so but MMA has basically not been that since around 1999 or so

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

54 40 or gently caress posted:

I mean if we're talking poo poo that didn't age well in the Simpsons, Homer choking Bart definitely doesn't sit right with me when I rewatch older episodes. It just seems kinda hosed up that was a running gag.

I feel like that was the intent. Homer overreacting to Bart's antics and nearly killing him was supposed to be bizarre and over the top. I'm not sure it had anything to do with the times.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Guy Mann posted:

There's about two billion Christians and one billion Muslims in the world and I'm pretty sure most of them believe in Hell. :confused:

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

I feel like that was the intent. Homer overreacting to Bart's antics and nearly killing him was supposed to be bizarre and over the top. I'm not sure it had anything to do with the times.

I liked the one episode with the home-movie clip of Homer chasing Bart with a flail yelling "I'LL MACE YOU GOOD!" It was over the top enough to sell the joke IMO.

Turpitude II
Nov 10, 2014

JediTalentAgent posted:

On the subject of Capt. Planet, I've said before that a lot of that show would be seen as pretty problematic by today's standards no matter how you cut it. Either in how they present non-US characters/settings, how they try to bring up certain things, etc. even with the best of intentions. I didn't even realize how weird some of them were until about 10 years after they aired and I was watching a few early one morning.

So you get something like the message at the end of the episode is literally this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNrxq9DubQ8
That I'm sure would be super controversial from just about every direction today with that message.

Boy, speaking of things which didn't age well (though it was stupid at the time too).

Yep, absolutely no coastal cities in Texas underwater now. :ironicat:

TenCentFang
Sep 5, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

Inescapable Duck posted:

That can happen on occasion; the Venture Bros has wanted to insert deliberate animation errors in homage to old cartoons, but the studio animates them correctly.

When shooting the pilot for Star Trek, the girl they painted green kept coming out flesh toned before they realized someone was unknowingly "fixing" it.

Well, yeah, obviously it was a joke and not a completely normal thing for the era, but understanding of child abuse has gotten to the point where it's a kind of joke that would seldom be made these days.

Aesop Poprock posted:

I mean you're not wrong if you're posting from like 1996 or so but MMA has basically not been that since around 1999 or so

My favorite media that hasn't aged well is the X-Men comic that came out right after Ronda Rousey lost where someone is like "woah, you're just like Ronda Rousey".

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Davros1 posted:

Also shows that haven't age well, what about Hogan's Heroes? A comedy set in a Nazi POW camp?

I'm not sure if it's really aged badly. It's not like Nazi's were considered 'better' when the show first aired. A lot of the audience were people who fought in WW2 and more than a few probably spent time in a German POW camp. Also as lousy as White nationalists are now, they're lame compared to what our grandparents dealt with.

Now I kind of want to watch Richard Dawson.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Aesop Poprock posted:

I freely admit I haven't been paying attention.

Even Iron Fist's most recent version heavily plays up the mystic/magic parts of martial arts-derived superpowers. (also probably because they cheaped out on the choreography)

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Bar Crow posted:

If anything Hogan's Heroes is more relevant today. The central premise is that Nazis are pathetic because only the pathetic would become Nazis which holds up pretty well.

Werner Klemperer was amazing and Hogan's Heroes is still great. :allears:

I don't know if Black Sheep Squadron held up though. I haven't seen that in ages.

Toasticle
Jul 18, 2003

Hay guys, out this Rape

lifg posted:

Except for Karate Kid. That movie holds up, and it's 100% because it's just a good movie.

There's a 10 episode series being made called "Cobra Kai" based on the Johnny character re-opening the dojo 30 years later.

From Ralph Machio:

"There's a tremendous amount of heart and kick-rear end action sequences and martial arts, but the inherent humor comes from the fact that these are two guys who are in their 50s and still have an ax to grind. It goes back to those places where you just can't let go and you're still a teenager at heart and yet balancing your adult life — it's like the rise of the Cobra Kai. It's the worst nightmare for someone like Daniel LaRusso."

Youtube Red outbid Netflix to show it.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Inescapable Duck posted:

The Spanikopita episode had a great one that's more of a translation error than anything: at one point the Greek villagers are supposed to be eating spanikopita in the background, and apparently someone explained spanikopita to them as "spinach pie" because the thing they're eating is drawn as a big ol classic apple pie but with green filling.

Telemaze
Apr 22, 2008

What you expected hasn't happened.
Fun Shoe

JediTalentAgent posted:

On the subject of Capt. Planet, I've said before that a lot of that show would be seen as pretty problematic by today's standards no matter how you cut it. Either in how they present non-US characters/settings, how they try to bring up certain things, etc. even with the best of intentions. I didn't even realize how weird some of them were until about 10 years after they aired and I was watching a few early one morning.

So you get something like the message at the end of the episode is literally this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNrxq9DubQ8
That I'm sure would be super controversial from just about every direction today with that message.

Ha ha holy poo poo, it's this! I saw it when it originally aired, and even at age 11 I was like what the gently caress. Also I am the youngest of a big family, so it made me slightly uncomfortable in a way I couldn't articulate at that age.

Absurd Alhazred posted:

It breaks my heart to say this, but I'm not sure how easy it would be for someone with today's sensibilities to enjoy Babylon 5. The quality of acting and production values you would expect from a multi-season epic, much less a science fiction one, are not really there. I'd say Battlestar Galactica is what I'd tell people to watch now. But B5 will always be special for me.

I'm watching Babylon 5 for the first time ever and it's pretty great. I did skip most of season 1 though.

Toasticle
Jul 18, 2003

Hay guys, out this Rape

Telemaze posted:

I'm watching Babylon 5 for the first time ever and it's pretty great. I did skip most of season 1 though.

While the overall arc of the show was good, G'Kar and Londo's interaction as the show went on were my favorite parts, the evolving arc between them was just awesome. Jerry Doyle (Garibaldi) was complete poo poo, should have killed him off in season one. That he went on a whining spree that hollywood wouldn't hire him because he was republican afterwords will always amuse me.

Andreas Katsulas was perfect as G'Kar, apparently when he was dying from lung cancer he made Straczynski tell him all the secrets of the B5 storyline that didn't get to be aired, the planned story arc was 2-3 years longer so he had to cut it short to finish it all in before the show ended. He told Straczynski "Who am I going to tell"?

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Detective No. 27 posted:

They're all just animated by a million Korean dudes who, back then, didn't probably know or really care what the Simpsons were. A new guy was in charge of Smithers maybe and didn't know he was supposed to be yellow? That's my guess.

I remember reading Groening or someone saying before how the Korean animation studios just didn't get it at first. They drew what they expected American cartoons to be like, the sort of unstable, unrealistic wonky eyes and stuff, when he had always wanted "realistic" movement to the characters from the start.You can see it for sure in the first season.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
To circle it around, the Clerks Animated Series dvd's commentary track has a lot of anecdotes about headaches from the Korean Animation Department. One in particular that comes to mind is as a running gag, each episode would start with Dante being called in to work early/on his day off/etc. One episode had him answer the phone from his bed, then zoom out while he goes "AH HAH!" to reveal he set up a cot under the store counter and was there already because he knew they'd call him in...only to be told they were going to give him the day off, but since he's already there... The thing is, apparently the Korean studio absolutely could not wrap their brains around there being a bed under the store counter and were completely baffled by their instructions. Like it took weeks just to make that one gag.

Of course, they also got meta with it, and had the courtroom episode end with the claim that the original footage was lost and the Korean animators made their own ending, where it's a bunch of zany gags (oh no bear is driving, how can this be?!) with cheap, blocky animation, culminating in the characters freeing the Korean animation sweatshop from their giant rat slavemaster.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Choco1980 posted:

culminating in the characters freeing the Korean animation sweatshop from their giant rat slavemaster.

Which was supposed to be Mickey Mouse since they were on ABC, but I think the network did not approve, so it had to be changed up

King of Foolians
Mar 16, 2006
Long live the King!
I was re-watching the pilot episode of Glee yesterday (which aired in 2009) and thought of this thread because one of the characters talks about how all the kids have MySpace pages nowadays.
Also later in the episode Sue Sylvester brags about using her iPhone to do a phone interview back when iPhones were status symbols and not something that everyone has.

With such rapidly evolving technology I'm sure many tv shows and movies to come will date themselves based on which apps and social media the characters are using, like seeing people using flip phones in media from the mid-2000s.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

They do still sell flip phones, albeit as budget options for stubborn old people and people who need cheap or rugged phones and don't care about bells and whistles. I think you see them today as shorthand for 'out of date' and/or 'cheap'.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Inescapable Duck posted:

They do still sell flip phones, albeit as budget options for stubborn old people and people who need cheap or rugged phones and don't care about bells and whistles. I think you see them today as shorthand for 'out of date' and/or 'cheap'.

Also drug dealers.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

RagnarokAngel posted:

Also drug dealers.

Fun fact, my last drug dealer used to send me snapchats of random stupid poo poo. I wish he had the professional courtesy of using a simple burner flip phone.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

The new Scrooge McDuck has a flip-phone while everyone else has smart-phones.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Inspector Gesicht posted:

The new Scrooge McDuck has a flip-phone while everyone else has smart-phones.

I need to start watching that.

I don't watch too many animes, but one of my favorites is Cromartie High School. It's basically if Fist of the North Star as a Looney Toons-esque comedy at a high school.

The first episode has a hard usage of "fags." It doesn't match the tone of the show at all. It just comes out of nowhere, kinda like it does in Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure. One of the characters is even Freddie Mercury, so you'd think they'd try not to be homophobic. Thankfully, it doesn't show up anywhere else to my knowledge.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

RagnarokAngel posted:

Also drug dealers.

I thought Drug Dealers just used those apps that give you a new phone number? poo poo like this:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.adhoclabs.burner

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Detective No. 27 posted:

The first episode has a hard usage of "fags." It doesn't match the tone of the show at all. It just comes out of nowhere, kinda like it does in Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure. One of the characters is even Freddie Mercury, so you'd think they'd try not to be homophobic. Thankfully, it doesn't show up anywhere else to my knowledge.

The word "human being" is hilarious when it comes from the mouths of over-masculine teenage boys:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=paUk6o012Rk

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

DrBouvenstein posted:

I thought Drug Dealers just used those apps that give you a new phone number? poo poo like this:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.adhoclabs.burner

Whatever the reality is I was more comnenting on them being hollywood shorthand for drug dealers.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Inescapable Duck posted:

I'd jump at a flip phone if it had LTE (for tethering). That way I could spend less time on my phone, but still have mobile options for my laptop or iPad.

And yes the actual solution to that is a flip/feature phone + LTE tablet. Next time I'll plan better.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Krispy Kareem posted:

I'd jump at a flip phone if it had LTE (for tethering). That way I could spend less time on my phone, but still have mobile options for my laptop or iPad.

And yes the actual solution to that is a flip/feature phone + LTE tablet. Next time I'll plan better.

Get an LTE tablet and a phone that doubles as a power bank for it just to be extra prepared.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

RagnarokAngel posted:

Is that really weird though? Kids are easily intimidated by that, especially given how many posts on the internet will rant how they were traumatized for life by stories of Hell in Sunday school. Early episodes of the Simpsons tried to play up Lisa as a smart kid but still a kid, she only became an unrealistic genius as the Flanders effect kicked in.

It does comes off as super weird knowing she becomes a Buddhist later though.

Coming from a very secular country, I thought as kid that the Simpsons was really strange because everyone seemed to go to church on a Sunday. I think growing up we only knew one religious family.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Bart Simpson caused a bit of a moral panic among evangelicals when the Simpsons first came out, due to his disrespect for his parents. I wasn't even allowed to watch it growing up. It's crazy when you compare it to what's on TV now, but Bart Simpson saying "Eat My Shorts" in 1990 was seriously controversial. Beavis and Butthead was a full blown crisis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

It's even stranger when you remember that S1 of the Simpsons was such overly-sentimental drivel, and that every episode ended with someone learning a valuable lesson. It says a lot about how bad late 80s TV must have been if a cartoon boy occasionally saying "don't have a cow man" was considered so outrageous.