Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

glassyalabolas posted:

Overcooked patch is now out. Maybe I can finally beat the DLC stages.

https://www.team17.com/overcooked-special-edition-updated-nintendo-switch/

Someone tell Nick Robinson!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrownieVK
Nov 10, 2009

Eat my ass
Is it lazy or smart to buy a second dock (overpriced they may be) to have the convenience of dropping my switch on my other TV? Is there an alternative to the Nintendo dock?

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Mario + Rabbids has no rights being as good as it is. :swoon:

BrownieVK posted:

Is it lazy or smart to buy a second dock (overpriced they may be) to have the convenience of dropping my switch on my other TV? Is there an alternative to the Nintendo dock?

I would potentially wait for Nyko's $45~ minidock due out Soonish™ (Est launch was this month)

But if you have the money you have the money.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

There's cheaper alternative coming out in a month or two

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Infinitum posted:

not_sure_if.gif

Nah I'm being completely honest. Granted I only have a couple hours a day where I can play videogames (after the kiddo goes to bed) and I've been exhausted the past few days so being able to mindlessly explore caves made of Legos in the evenings has actually been pretty fun.

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006
I want to bowl with the gangsters...

Infinitum posted:

Mario + Rabbids has no rights being as good as it is. :swoon:

I would potentially wait for Nyko's $45 minidock due out Soonish™ (Est launch was this month)

I believe it's $50 now.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

SelenicMartian posted:

The ending could have been redeemed by the game giving you a flamethrower to replay regular cases with.

lol

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Lego Worlds seemed to be a bit of a technical mess on the more powerful consoles, I can't imagine how it runs on a Switch.

BrownieVK
Nov 10, 2009

Eat my ass

Infinitum posted:

I would potentially wait for Nyko's $45~ minidock due out Soonish™ (Est launch was this month)

Credit cards count as money right? Thanks I'll probably just wait for the cheaper one. I'm a die hard Xboner and I cannot put Zelda down, and every other night my wife wants to play snipperclips in bed, it's a shame you can't just use a cheap 3rd party USB C to HDMI brick.

Olivil
Jul 15, 2010

Wow I'd like to be as smart as a computer
Is the Cave Story coop update out yet?

jetpackhewy
Mar 30, 2010

Not as far as I know. They have submitted the patch to Nintendo, so it should be out soon.

https://twitter.com/nicalis/status/900431719811104768

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

TF2 HAT MINING RIG posted:

Lego Worlds seemed to be a bit of a technical mess on the more powerful consoles, I can't imagine how it runs on a Switch.

smooth as butter my man, sweet and smooth

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

BrownieVK posted:

Buying a second dock for me is going to be essential. The entire point is to just stick it in and play but in a multistory house you lose that. I wouldn't feel bad about it at all. Then again I don't really feel a need for a second set of joycons since I got he pro controller anyway, so that's 70 saved for me I can spend elsewhere.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

TF2 HAT MINING RIG posted:

There is occasional stuttering and handheld is sub-720p (even the menus). Not gonna lie, though, after like 10 minutes of playing handheld I stop noticing. There's no AA, and AI-controlled characters and shadow pop in can be pretty bad. There are occasional lighting bugs, too (interior lighting in general seems to be pretty terrible).

Docked is better. Seems to be full 1080p (though I could be wrong) and pop in is much more reasonable. Still no AA. From what I've heard and seen docked performance seems to be roughly on par with the Xbone and PS4 versions, which is actually pretty impressive. Traveler's Tales seems to have optimization issues across all the consoles--I got stuttering all over the place in the PS4 version of Lego Star Wars: The Force Awakens, which surprised me.'

I like TT's games and I'll keep buying them, performance issues aside. It would be nice if they fixed their engine, though.

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Sep 8, 2017

StabMasterArson
May 31, 2011

Sooo, Lego Worlds or Minecraft?

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

You've probably played the poo poo out of Minecraft. But, even if you haven't, you might as well spend the extra coin for a game that has waaaaay more features, like Lego Worlds.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Does anyone have a link to some kind of overview of the game?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

So is Overcooked much better with this new patch? I never played it, but it looks like it would rule for our Saturday nerd nights.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

StabMasterArson posted:

Sooo, Lego Worlds or Minecraft?

They're actually not as comparable as you'd think. Lego Worlds is arguably closer to No Man's Sky than Minecraft.

In Lego Worlds, you're given a small, limited size world. On the world, there are things to do. Some citizens want barns built, or cows hearded into a pen for them, or want to be defended from enemies. Completing a task for a citizen will give you a gold brick. Collecting bricks unlocks things you can use in game, such as a Lantern (handy for underground exploration) or a grappling hook (almost completely useless, since if you want to get somewhere quickly you can just spawn a helicopter and fly it across the map). Collecting bricks also unlocks larger world sizes. If you decide that you're tired of the current world you're on, you can create a new world for a change of scenery. Depending on the size of the world, there may be more than one "biome" on it. Early on, the worlds that were generated were single biomes such as a desert planet, a swamp planet, and a... hellscape planet, I guess (it was all black with lava and volcanos, pretty neat TBH). Yesterday I unlocked larger size worlds; the first one started me off in an arctic area, that then transitioned into desert, followed by a "candy" zone.

Another things you can do is explore caves, houses, and dungeons for chests. Chests can hold studs, gold bricks, items like pickaxes or shovels, or plans to build large-scale models. Which is a good transition to another things you can do in the game: build things.

Building is different--and harder--than in Minecraft. You start off with a small selection of standard Lego bricks (2x4s, 1x2s) that you can use to build structures with. As you play the game, little green Creeper-looking things pop up from the ground carrying a new type of brick; if you chase them down and tackle them to the ground, you can then use that brick in builds. You can also get plans to "build" large preset structures, such as houses or clock towers. The build tools are a little finicky, but I was able to build a basic house for a character without too much effort (I cheated with the roof, though, using the "copy" tool to copy the roof off a nearby house and paste it onto my new one).

So if you want to do creative things in Lego Worlds, it's totally possible, but there's no farming of resources that you need to do first. It's more or less Creative Mode. That said, there are things to do in Lego Worlds beyond resource farming and building, which is why it's holding my attention better than Minecraft ever did.

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Sep 8, 2017

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I would like Ori and the Blind Forest & Ori 2 on the Switch please

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Macaluso posted:

I would like Ori and the Blind Forest & Ori 2 on the Switch please

They're Microsoft Studios games.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Phantasium posted:

They're Microsoft Studios games.

I KNOW OKAY

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Detective No. 27 posted:

So is Overcooked much better with this new patch? I never played it, but it looks like it would rule for our Saturday nerd nights.

Going to get some time in with the new patch this weekend, we lost a few 3* runs to control/framerate loving us up on an order here and there but it was definitely already playable. It is a great local multiplayer game, but I don't think a "cooperative" game has ever had me yelling at people so much.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

BrownieVK posted:

I got a second dock months ago and it's kept me from having to drag the dock to the other TV upstairs. How worth it is depending on how often you do this. I got it quickly as I was already dragging the wii U between floors which was a bit of a pain in the rear end.

Overcooked is also way harder than it looks.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

LethalGeek posted:

Overcooked is also way harder than it looks.

So very true. By world 3 you have some pretty serious obstacles to contend with while getting orders in. I ended up playing it with 2 players the other day as well and some maps were much, much easier to contend with without the extra bodies around and just doing the lower 3* requirements more efficiently.

Highly recommend trying to get 3* before moving on to the next level for at least the first two worlds. Also, very useful tip for hamburger levels is that you can place a cooked burger on a bun to save counter space if you're out of plates. We wasted a ton of time just taking the frying pans off the burners before realizing we could have buns prepped at every pan.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

smooth as butter my man, sweet and smooth

Are they making Lego Dimensions for the Switch? Would be nice to use my existing Wii U hardware for that.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Anyone finding those Splatoon themed Switches in Walmart today? Looking for one for a friend.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

BrownieVK posted:

Credit cards count as money right? Thanks I'll probably just wait for the cheaper one. I'm a die hard Xboner and I cannot put Zelda down, and every other night my wife wants to play snipperclips in bed, it's a shame you can't just use a cheap 3rd party USB C to HDMI brick.
Well there's adapter things starting to come out like this, but you still need proper power and HDMI cable (which the Nyko one includes), so that's another $20-30 on top of the cheap ones anyway.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Infinitum posted:

YYYYYYYYYYYeeeeeeeeeeeeessssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mGj8lPwOeKg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UpjTBP3BM74

:geno:

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
Stardew? No need, lego worlds may be goty

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

Stardew? No need, lego worlds may be goty

That’s an interesting way of spelling Mario x Rabbids, but I agree.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

ASK ME ABOUT BEING A GROWNUP WHO FUCKS A REAL DOLL
I wish Dr. Tim wasnt a troll so I could actually know if Lego Worlds is good.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

GoldfishStew posted:

Not sure I’ve honestly trolled in a while. I’m sincere about Stardew, rabbids and LEGO world.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

Golf story when

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

GoldfishStew posted:

Yea on the one hand I want to give people the benefit of the doubt and on the other hand it has horrible scores everywhere and no scores yet on Switch edition, perhaps because no one wants go bother

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

ASK ME ABOUT BEING A GROWNUP WHO FUCKS A REAL DOLL
Dr. Tim can you unpack why you think Lego Worlds is GOTY? Even if that is hyperbole; at least why you think it's dope?

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

GoldfishStew posted:

I think I'm the only other person in the thread that's bought it. I'm having fun playing it, but it's hard to call it "good". It's missing the final layer of polish most games get, and while there are plenty of things to do in the game, none of them are particularly complicated or engaging. If you like the Lego games, and enjoy wandering through randomly generated environments, you'll probably enjoy Lego Worlds.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

The problem with Tim is he can't decide whether he wants to troll or post sincerely, this no one takes any of his sincere post seriously and his troll game is usually weak because he's only half committed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

I have Lego Worlds on PC, it's pretty nice gameplay wise if you're into "making your own fun" and just building and exploring for no reason. Can't tell you how it runs on Switch, but if people who actually have it say it runs smooth, no reason to doubt that I guess.

SeANMcBAY posted:

Anyone finding those Splatoon themed Switches in Walmart today? Looking for one for a friend.

raditts posted:

For those of you who wanted to get the Splatoon 2 Switch bundle, just picked one up at the local Walmart, I guess there wasn't a lot of hype about this one as I was the only one there and they had at least 6-7 of them in the case. The guy in the electronics section didn't even seem to be aware that they had them when I called to ask yesterday. Wouldn't expect there to be any left by the end of the day, though.

raditts fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Sep 8, 2017

• Locked thread