Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

MilesK posted:

Wasn't the ELE just a 2 week long April fools prank that turned out to be a https://libraryofbabel.info/ page?

Why do people still think it's a real thing?

I dunno, maybe because in April 2016, I wrote a whole blog about it called, *gasp*, Star Citizen - Extinction Level Event, and which served as my ground zero?

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

SomethingJones posted:

ATV Sep 7 2017

@ 08:30

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdS8q2_d76o

Eric Kieron Davis:
At the time of filming this, we've reduced our 'must fix' issues by 18 which brings us to 76 issues stopping this first release. At the same time we've checked in a total of 773 new updates to the 3.0 branch. And also this week we've also made some more important decisions on what we'd like our first round of non-CIG testers to help us evaluate, as well as provide feedback on, and keep polishing and fixing.

We're really going through this release with a fine tooth comb making sure all of the new features and tech work harmoniously together. So while we're all passionately working to knock out the mountain of blockers as well as what Matt said; uncovering one thread may unravel and reveal a whole myriad of issues, and we always HOPE we'll knock out more than one big issue at a time, but putting my personal dreams aside, as we're completing and polishing features, those numbers are going to change. Sometimes dramatically. Sometimes higher, sometimes lower.

So come back next week to see how we're doing, here on BURNDOWN.

Good work SJ :hfive: be careful that your brain doesn't turn to mush again :ohdear:

"as we're completing and polishing features, those numbers are going to change. Sometimes dramatically. Sometimes higher, sometimes lower" = months of bug-fixing to go.

"what we'd like our first round of non-CIG testers to help us evaluate" = Evocati will test the Gamescom moon-only demo.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3
The gist of the ELE blog is that CIG will move the whole thing behind closed doors, and backers will be left with BURNDOWN and a selection of loving graphs and charts and in-editor videos to inform them of progress.

lmao if they do that

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

This is surprisingly cute.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

The one on the left won't shut up about the ele

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

Quavers posted:

Good work SJ :hfive: be careful that your brain doesn't turn to mush again :ohdear:

"as we're completing and polishing features, those numbers are going to change. Sometimes dramatically. Sometimes higher, sometimes lower" = months of bug-fixing to go.

"what we'd like our first round of non-CIG testers to help us evaluate" = Evocati will test the Gamescom moon-only demo.

Too late! It's already mush.

We're going to need a bigger boat.

ModernSociety
Jul 12, 2017

Derek, I honestly don't think using '2 weeks' seriously is going to give your statements any more gravitas.

ModernSociety
Jul 12, 2017

BNBL, wolf posts best posts.

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

ModernSociety posted:

Derek, I honestly don't think using '2 weeks' seriously is going to give your statements any more gravitas.

It's me, I'm the gravitas.

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3
Will next week's BURNDOWN bug count be HIGHER or LOWER than the preceding one, this is to win the car

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

SomethingJones posted:

CIG email copied from Derek's ELE blog

"The goal of this group is to get a limited set of external players onto early builds of a version so we can get it stabilized and ready for normal PTU playtesting and iteration while keeping our operational costs down. The reality is we do not need thousands of players to download a build that isn’t ready for primetime!"

“Game Support has also continued to refine how we utilize the Public Test Universe (PTU). We’ve gotten a heck of a lot of value out of PTU, and it’s now essential to the development of Star Citizen. In addition, we’ll be updating our PTU list of players for 2.4.0, so make sure you’re staying active in PTU and on the Issue Council as that’s how we invite our players!“

So they're going to close the PU except for a group of handpicked backers with 3.0?

e - so it looks like they're going to close the PU off to backers, and Eric Kieron Davis saying so in this ATV is the first time CIG have mentioned this outside of private emails to their select group?

Nah. The Evocati are the handpicked backers, and were first used for 2.4.

What I can see happening is the Evocati testing period for "3.0" (it's gonna be the Gamescom moon-only demo) being extended to months, instead of a couple of weeks like with previous updates. Evocati are under NDA, so barring leaks - which the Zealots will dismiss as FUD - CIG can effectively hide the true barebones-feature-state of "3.0" from the backers for months.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

SomethingJones posted:

The gist of the ELE blog is that CIG will move the whole thing behind closed doors, and backers will be left with BURNDOWN and a selection of loving graphs and charts and in-editor videos to inform them of progress.

lmao if they do that

Its happening. Not that the ELE is actually happening, but CIG is incompetent enough to actually treat it like something they need to buckle down and close the hatches for. A loving mostly harmless internet warlord and a bunch of idiots in a loving dead rear end comedy forum dictate CIGs actions.

In CIGs eyes, we are patient zero for a plague that will end up destroying their funding. A cancer that will spread bringing about widespread refunds and slowed down funding if not treated quick enough. They know actually releasing content thats not broken in a timely manner is the most effective means to dispel it, but are not capable of producing it. So they go into defcon 5 and hope that the particular brand of zealot can hold the fort regurgitating the same tired lines without applying a single ounce of critical thinking.

Its not enough. I've started to see a concrete shift in opinion now thats a lot like what happened in these forums. The faithful are starting to doubt, the haters are getting bolder and the zealots cant shout them down anymore with the same tired narratives.

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

Potato Salad posted:

...he's already set for retirement, has paid off all significant debts, and is clearly not wasting $3,000 that has objectively far more beneficial uses.

Is there something wrong with that? I donate to charity, I invest in my retirement funds and market, and I live a my life as a single simpleton bachelor enjoying the Cali sun.

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

D_Smart posted:

You're a moron. The fact that you can't make a single post in response to something that doesn't even mention me, without dragging me into it, is evidence that you - like your CIG colleagues and Shitizens - really do fear the fact that, in time, I may be proven to be right about the project.

I am right. There is no getting around that. All we have to do now is wait out the E.L.E.

What comes next, and which is currently playing out, is going to be loving amazing. Guaranteed. Two Weeks.

:siren:Derek Smart was right :siren: :siren:Derek Smart was right :siren: :siren: Derek Smart was right :siren:

2/3rd of my posts don't mention you. You mention you and you find a way to make everything about you and your quest against the great CIG Windmill. Go board up a house or something - you have bigger demons to fight this week.

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

Quavers posted:

Nah. The Evocati are the handpicked backers, and were first used for 2.4.

What I can see happening is the Evocati testing period for "3.0" (it's gonna be the Gamescom moon-only demo) being extended to months, instead of a couple of weeks like with previous updates. Evocati are under NDA, so barring leaks - which the Zealots will dismiss as FUD - CIG can effectively hide the true barebones-feature-state of "3.0" from the backers for months.

But Derek is saying this is another layer on top of the evocati?

Have you ever seen anything more convoluted, confusing and messy as this, everyone else manages to have something they can roll out as early access without all this nonsense and hiding behind NDAs.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Bro I know the guy that dumped 10k on Mighty #9 and although at the time he thought it was mostly nothing given his paycheck he probably looks back on it and thinks "drat, that 10k would have gone to better places" . And Mighty #9 exists, even though its mediocre, which is in an exponentially better place than SC right now.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
the evocati is just bullshit lip service to keep backers snug and warm. lol if you don't think their 'feedback' goes straight into a spam folder. They have had precisely zero affect on what is released

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

You should have backed Transverse!
I think it goes something like internal QA > Evocati > Subscribers > 1st Wave of 10,000ish backers > 2 to 4 more waves of backers with progressively larger numbers > Public release

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
it goes

Chris's brain > Waves Hands > Tumbleweeds

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

SomethingJones posted:

CIG email copied from Derek's ELE blog

"The goal of this group is to get a limited set of external players onto early builds of a version so we can get it stabilized and ready for normal PTU playtesting and iteration while keeping our operational costs down. The reality is we do not need thousands of players to download a build that isn’t ready for primetime!"

“Game Support has also continued to refine how we utilize the Public Test Universe (PTU). We’ve gotten a heck of a lot of value out of PTU, and it’s now essential to the development of Star Citizen. In addition, we’ll be updating our PTU list of players for 2.4.0, so make sure you’re staying active in PTU and on the Issue Council as that’s how we invite our players!“

So they're going to close the PU except for a group of handpicked backers with 3.0?

e - so it looks like they're going to close the PU off to backers, and Eric Kieron Davis saying so in this ATV is the first time CIG have mentioned this outside of private emails to their select group?

So, are we thinking of yet another elite-er level of tester ? Like some kind of Ultra-Fancy avocadoes ? Centurions where above evocati so we can call them Cendurian (for the durian fruit)

Cendurian -> Avocadoes->Backers->PTU->Pu ?

How many levels of unpaid QA do you need before you strike diminishing returns ?

Also : "while keeping our operational costs down" if by that you mean bandwith cost for pushing patches, then better toughen up your sphincters, since your going to have to patch this beauty once a week if not more if it ever get in the hand of the general public someday.

aleksendr fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Sep 8, 2017

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

SomethingJones posted:

[b]ATV Sep 7 2017

"we'd like our first round of non-CIG testers to help us evaluate,"

Evaluate = assign value to

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

HycoCam posted:

I think it goes something like internal QA > Evocati > Subscribers > 1st Wave of 10,000ish backers > 2 to 4 more waves of backers with progressively larger numbers > Public release

It was only staggered because bandwidth costs for CIG were astronomically high and their constant patching didn't help the large overall file size.

So they came up with evocati that was really more of a "Find the large whales and rope them in" scheme, also pay us a subscription fee and we'll consider your involvement in the evocati testing.

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

aleksendr posted:

So, are we thinking of yet another elite-er level of tester ? Like some kind of Ultra-Fancy avocadoes ? Centurions where above evocati so we can call them Cendurian (for the durian fruit)

Cendurian -> Avocadoes->Backers->PTU->Pu ?

How many levels of unpaid QA do you need before you strike diminishing returns ?

I have no loving idea any more, like I am desperately trying to understand the rationale behind funding it when the tech is demonstrably hosed, and now here's a whole other structure of bullshit that they are trying to hide behind that I didn't know about before.

The only thing I can glean from Derek's ELE blog is that they are going to switch off PU access to everyone apart from a small group, but Derek is yet another layer of madness.

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

From the Irma thread:

quote:

deletebeepbeepbeep posted:

I feel like all of this was predicted in the Busta Rhymes album Extinction Level Event and everyone was foolish not to heed its message.

Busta Rhymes called it.

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

Golli posted:

Evaluate = assign value to

You see, that makes sense to me.

ZenMaster
Jan 24, 2006

I Saved PC Gaming

peter gabriel posted:

it goes

Chris's brain > Waves Hands > Tumbleweeds

Yo all crobberts had to do on the gamescom stage was this and 3.0 could have been successfully delayed by years AND blamed on derek smart:

MilesK
Nov 5, 2015

SomethingJones posted:

I have no loving idea any more, like I am desperately trying to understand the rationale behind funding it when the tech is demonstrably hosed, and now here's a whole other structure of bullshit that they are trying to hide behind that I didn't know about before.

The only thing I can glean from Derek's ELE blog is that they are going to switch off PU access to everyone apart from a small group, but Derek is yet another layer of madness.

You do understand Derek's ELE blog is over a year old and most of the predictions in it didn't come true, right?

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

pubic void nullo posted:

never thought I'd drag this out again but time works in mysterious ways

always gets his

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

I'm no developer, but I manage contractors who do develop custom (business) software - and if I think the contractors are full of it, then I have the option to call in an independent party to review their code to see what's really up. This tends to keep them in line, because they do not want to lose the contract.

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

drat Dirty Ape posted:

Who archives the archivers?

uhh mirificus duh

edit: tax

Rad Russian
Aug 15, 2007

Soviet Power Supreme!

ManofManyAliases posted:

Is there something wrong with that? I donate to charity, I invest in my retirement funds and market, and I live a my life as a single simpleton bachelor enjoying the Cali sun.

Don't think we give a collective gently caress about you specifically. There were dozens of posts linked here of people donating their monthly disability checks to Croberts which is hosed up. The objective is to expose the scam and stop people from sending their money to him. No one really gives a poo poo about a small % people with lots of spare money that want to throw it in the fire. This is not the point. Him buying multiple $150K+ cars by scamming the mentally handicapped and also siphoning tax money off people who are not involved in the scam is not OK.

Exposing scams and people associated with them is a net good for society, and that's what Derek and some others here are doing. It's not a personal crusade against you, or your space dream.

Rad Russian fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Sep 8, 2017

Strangler 42
Jan 8, 2007

SHAVE IT ALL OFF
ALL OF IT

peter gabriel posted:

the evocati is just bullshit lip service to keep backers snug and warm. lol if you don't think their 'feedback' goes straight into a spam folder. They have had precisely zero affect on what is released

Filed to: Trash bin, lol

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

SomethingJones posted:

A solid strategy. As you make progress toward releaseing your game you should gradually restrict the numbers of person that can access to it.

Thats why they call it "Open Betas". You open the door and shove the betas tester out so only the stronger, "Alphas" tester remain to help you figure out the last few remaining bugs.

aleksendr fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Sep 8, 2017

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

MilesK posted:

You do understand Derek's ELE blog is over a year old and most of the predictions in it didn't come true, right?

Derek has re-tweeted it to "give context to what's coming next" so I'm getting myself some context for 'what's coming next' and discussing it to get some more context, and then Derek tweets the latest ATV and says "look here" so I looked there and that Eric guy says something about "non-CIG testers" so hey, there's the context, the context is a year old.

Also, Derek quotes a CIG rep "giving some more context" in the form of an email.

None of that is a prediction so far.

Then he goes into some more historical stuff and posts a chart, along with some rumours and unconfirmed reports. I know they are rumours and unconfirmed reports because Derek Smart calls them 'rumours and unconfirmed reports'. He doesn't call them 'predictions'. Then he talks about various lies and then we get a big history lesson.

I can't find a single prediction in there, but it might be because my eyes are glazing over at the sheer amount of text. Which predictions in there turned out to be wrong?

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

Pull up SomethingJones - you survived transcribing Chris. Reading Derek's blog is too much to ask of you.

zcrow
May 6, 2014

Ah.. yeah... um... tup tup tup tup tup.. this is something we'll add down the line

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

All wolves are cute, all of the time.

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

Golli posted:

Pull up SomethingJones - you survived transcribing Chris. Reading Derek's blog is too much to ask of you.

I can't find my way out

send help

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zcrow
May 6, 2014

Ah.. yeah... um... tup tup tup tup tup.. this is something we'll add down the line
Post more wolves