Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LostRook
Jun 7, 2013
The kid aesthetic is great because it lets you make your rider look just like the kid version of Guts, giant sword and all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MRQuB_zW914

Monster Hunter looking pretty good in HD.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

Theta Zero posted:

Why didn't I spend my youth doing something like this instead of doing drugs and committing petty vandalism?

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Theta Zero posted:

How far we've come since the PSP days

https://i.imgur.com/B6eH4Xl.mp4

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

Your Computer posted:

How far we've come since the PSP days

https://i.imgur.com/B6eH4Xl.mp4

How many animes have a parody of monster hunter

It's gotta be like double digits now right

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

:sbahj:

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
I'm gonna buy and play that awful monster hunter stories game and none of you can stop me

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Social Dissonance posted:

Here's another viewpoint of the hunt I posted earlier, this time with gunlance from another hunter:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qho8f2lMu3Q
Thanks for this! I really wanted to see it from the melee side. Unsurprisingly it looks a lot rougher from that perspective :v:

Let this be in the full game and not just a demo thing :pray:

Unrelated MHXX trip report: I finally fought Barroth for the first time and he's not at all like I thought he'd be. I figured he'd be an enormous jerk kinda like Gravios but he's just a weird puppy. He likes rolling in the mud! :3:

so then I killed him like 8 times and made all his stuff. Monster Hunter!

Your Computer fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Sep 8, 2017

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Your Computer posted:

Thanks for this! I really wanted to see it from the melee side. Unsurprisingly it looks a lot rougher from that perspective :v:

Let this be in the full game and not just a demo thing :pray:

Unrelated MHXX trip report: I finally fought Barroth for the first time and he's not at all like I thought he'd be. I figured he'd be an enormous jerk kinda like Gravios but he's just a weird puppy. He likes rolling in the mud! :3:

so then I killed him like 8 times and made all his stuff. Monster Hunter!

He eats Altaroths and defends herbivores from predators. He's the best.

pulp rag
Feb 25, 2013

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
Barroth is big and strong and my friend.

And I enjoy wearing his skin.

But, yeah, Barroth way back when was the first monster I went "You're an awesome design, and I need to make your armor, no matter what the skills are." I'm incredibly happy it's apparently back for MHW.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
I hope his armor is based off the Aliens Power Loader this time.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
His armor is kinda ridiculous... but in a good way! Also the gunner helmet has cat ears :3: I remember using his set early in 4U back when I first tried it, so this is kinda nostalgic even if I've never actually fought him. I'm also getting atk up medium, def up and guard+1 with solid defence so this is a great early high rank set.

In other news I found someone selling a Circle Pad Pro XL and 3U dirt cheap. I can't imagine there's much of any online going on in 3U so how's the game from a pure solo perspective? Never played any 3rd gen so I feel like I want to at least try it since I got it basically for free :v: Of course, between MHXX and MHStories and now this.... I have so much Monster Hunter to play that I'm not sure where to even start. Hopefully enough to get my MH fix until MHW? :getin:

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009

Your Computer posted:

In other news I found someone selling a Circle Pad Pro XL and 3U dirt cheap. I can't imagine there's much of any online going on in 3U so how's the game from a pure solo perspective? Never played any 3rd gen so I feel like I want to at least try it since I got it basically for free :v: Of course, between MHXX and MHStories and now this.... I have so much Monster Hunter to play that I'm not sure where to even start. Hopefully enough to get my MH fix until MHW? :getin:

I solo'ed all of 3U. It wasn't really that bad tbh. Though I did it with dual blades and those things were pretty beastly in that game. GRank quests usually took 10-20 minutes.

Goldbeard Ceadeus is the gate to G-rank. He can be a challenge to kill by yourself. I'd use Lance, or even better HBG for that. Actually use those for all underwater fights.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
But seriously....

Has anyone, like ever, run out of whetstones
how is that exciting

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

HenryEx posted:

But seriously....

how is that exciting

It's exciting because it may as well have always been a thing. Sharpening is mostly there to train players to back off and recover early and to exist as a weapon balancing factor later but there are very few cases where Whetstones were an actual valuable resource and the few situations they were are COMPLETELY INSUFFERABLE due to, well, situations needing you to actually use 20+ Whetstones.

It's a good updating of this old design and a sign they're actually looking at old poo poo that doesn't work the way it was originally designed and updating it.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

HenryEx posted:

But seriously....

how is that exciting
I saw a post on reddit saying that making whetstones infinite removes the cost/benefit decision of using a whetstone during a fight. I don't think I've ever had to think about using a whetstone unless I forgot to restock my inventory for five hunts in a row, at which point I've probably got larger concerns like a lack of potions, flashbangs, and traps. Maybe some of the G-rank quests in special areas that didn't have whetstone spots you could conceivably run out and I'm forgetting about it.

e: That said I like this change because as has been said there's no real reason to have them be finite because they're boring to gather and trivial to buy

Elysiume fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Sep 8, 2017

Rip_Van_Winkle
Jul 21, 2011

"When life gives you ghosts, you make ghost-robots"

I think this is a philosophy we can all aspire to.

HenryEx posted:

But seriously....

how is that exciting

I ran out of whetstones when I was trying to kill the over-healthed first encounter Gammoth with some trash DB setup. I didn't really care enough to go forage for more for a gimmick quest.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

HenryEx posted:

But seriously....

how is that exciting

For me personally it's just a :spergin: thing because I absolutely hate using consumables in games (hi it's me the person who kept every single full heal potion til the end of the game in every single rpg ever) so this would make it so much more relaxing to keep sharpness up.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Your Computer posted:

(hi it's me the person who kept every single full heal potion til the end of the game in every single rpg ever)

please make consumables self-replenishing after every instance/major dungeon/etc

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

The games have done a better and better job each time of making me not do gathering quests.

And thats a great thing.

Hopefully this is in line with that. I wonder if gunner play will still come with a gather tax.

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009
It's not exciting, but infinite whetstones should already be a thing. And they should automatically be in your inventory if you're using a melee weapon. Kind of similar to all gunner weapons having normal 1 shots with infinite ammo.

Quality of life improvements like these seem small but they have all added up throughout the series to make the game better.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

My knee-jerk reaction is infinite whetstones are bad because its another casualization feature. The reality is that it changes literally nothing, though; you get free whetstones in every LR quest and by HR you have hundreds from mining and if you somehow ever run out you can buy a full stack for an inconsequential amount of zenny anyway.

scaterry
Sep 12, 2012
The whetstone change is great because it means they took whetstones out of the gatherables pool

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

A lot of the gathering and consumable stuff is purely vestigial at this point anyway, with how efficient they've made the farms and equivalents. I think it has its purpose as far as making you feel like you're a part of the world for a real Hunting experience, instead of just on a boss rush mode. But the more open-world and tracking elements of MH World seem to be filling that gap, leaving them room to trim out some of the stuff that's become busy work.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Funkmaster General posted:

My knee-jerk reaction is infinite whetstones are bad because its another casualization feature. The reality is that it changes literally nothing, though; you get free whetstones in every LR quest and by HR you have hundreds from mining and if you somehow ever run out you can buy a full stack for an inconsequential amount of zenny anyway.

Forget whetstones. What are you worried will get 'casualized'?

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

Bombadilillo posted:

Forget whetstones. What are you worried will get 'casualized'?

Well, potion drinking while moving, potions only taking one ingredient to make, being able to pull out more potions from your box mid hunt, lack of village/hub split meaning there won't be any crazy solo challenge quests, and so forth.

Most of my initial fears have been wiped away and I'm confident this will be a very good game, but it's still undeniably true that there are a lot of changes to the formula and that most of them directly make the game easier.

To be clear, I'm not mad over this, just a little wistfull. Every time I start to get upset over a change, some thought reveals that it ultimately doesn't matter much, just like the whetstone example above.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Funkmaster General posted:

Well, potion drinking while moving, potions only taking one ingredient to make, being able to pull out more potions from your box mid hunt, lack of village/hub split meaning there won't be any crazy solo challenge quests, and so forth.

Most of my initial fears have been wiped away and I'm confident this will be a very good game, but it's still undeniably true that there are a lot of changes to the formula and that most of them directly make the game easier.

To be clear, I'm not mad over this, just a little wistfull. Every time I start to get upset over a change, some thought reveals that it ultimately doesn't matter much, just like the whetstone example above.
I'm iffy on potion drinking while moving or being able to pull more potions out of your box midhunt. The low-level items like whetstones and potions being easier to get is definitely an improvement, as they were never hard or interesting to get, it was just boring farming.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Taking a page out of Bloodborne's book and actually making mechanics not bad for the sake of being bad. Sounds good.

The problem will be like Bloodborne's problem where you can never play the other games again because you'll fire them up and be like I HAVE TO STOP TO HEAL FOR LIKE A MINUTE WHY THE gently caress

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

So the punishment for doing poorly is a trip to resupply instead of de facto failing the hunt. Yeah it is easier but its also better for the player. The only time you run low on potions over just getting carted is when its a long slog fight, which is exactly the fight I don't want to have to start over.

As for it being a single ingredient. Forever gently caress gathering, I dont want to do busy work before fighting monsters in my monster fighting game. I personally, do not get any enjoyment in the simulation of gearing up and preparing to fight a monster. I am 100% for any and all streamlines to that. X made it pretty easy to just buy whatever you wanted for the basic items, which was great. Instead of gathering I could just fight a monster a few extra times to make up the zenny if I needed. It was awesome.

The drinking while moving is like the moving gunner, I assume the monsters will be built around that from the ground up. There was also an armor skill to let you drink up to 70% faster so presumably it will still leave you vulnerable, Have to see how the game is balanced on this whole issue.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
The potions being usable while moving but healing over time is more like Dark Souls 2 with its lifegems and everyone loved that ga-

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Centzon Totochtin posted:

I'm gonna buy and play that awful monster hunter stories game and none of you can stop me

I'm holding out for Monster Hunter Stories World on PC.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Saint Freak posted:

Taking a page out of Bloodborne's book and actually making mechanics not bad for the sake of being bad. Sounds good.

The problem will be like Bloodborne's problem where you can never play the other games again because you'll fire them up and be like I HAVE TO STOP TO HEAL FOR LIKE A MINUTE WHY THE gently caress

Monster Hunter has always been a time management slash pattern prediction game dressed up as an action game. Not actually an action brawler. There's a reason the consumable animations are so long and elaborate and you can't dodge cancel out of every attack God of War-style.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

HenryEx posted:

Monster Hunter has always been a time management slash pattern prediction game dressed up as an action game. Not actually an action brawler. There's a reason the consumable animations are so long and elaborate and you can't dodge cancel out of every attack God of War-style.

Okay? Do you think the souls games aren't like that? Or are you quoting the wrong person.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Let's put it like that: Having to stop in place to heal for a minute is bad design in games like Bloodborne where it breaks the flow of combat.
Not having to stop in place to heal is bad design in Monster Hunter where your actions are strategic decision, setup, execution.

Needing to heal in MH means you're supposed to step back and re-evaluate your openings or attack strategy, and the heal delay forces you to remove yourself from the immediate fight to do exactly that.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?
I'm not sure how the slow jaunt your character moves at while drinking a potion is gonna get you hit significantly less by the large monsters in this game than rooting in place would, it seems more to be able to avoid annoying-as-poo poo small monster attacks and to give more player agency, which is a good thing.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

scaterry posted:

The whetstone change is great because it means they took whetstones out of the gatherables pool

Were they ever? Or was that something Generation changed?

MatteusTheCorrupt
Nov 1, 2010
My only issue with the whetstone change is that whetfishes will no longer be a thing.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

HenryEx posted:

Needing to heal in MH means you're supposed to step back and re-evaluate your openings or attack strategy, and the heal delay forces you to remove yourself from the immediate fight to do exactly that.

So exactly like in Souls games?

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

MatteusTheCorrupt posted:

My only issue with the whetstone change is that whetfishes will no longer be a thing.
Something I read indicated that they are still a thing, and provide more sharpness more quickly than a whetstone but are limited in use. Take that with a grain of salt since it's basically third hand information at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
having played with both now it seems pretty weird that switch axes and charge blades are both a thing

they're both weapon types that change back and forth between an axe form and a sword form where one form charges power for the other form to deal big damage in, except charge blades are kinda better both in terms of how good they are and also design wise because the weapon forms are more meaningfully different, the weapon type in general has more depth, and the charges being one per attack means it's not ambiguous how many attacks you have left with your current amount of charge

• Locked thread