Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fart barterer
Aug 24, 2006

David Byrne - Like Humans Do (Radio Edit).mp3
New National Album is like a personal fuckin holiday.

Listened to the first 2/3rds on way to work, aside from Turtleneck I'm enjoying it. Didn't listen to any singles leading up to release.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I listened to it once last night and thought it was alright. Still love Day I Die and Dark Side of the Gym ruled. It's no Trouble Will Find Me, though. I listened to that whole album over and over again after it came out. I couldn't get enough of it.

Here's them performing Day I Die on Colbert last night:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WAOC_g_CHM8

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Turtleneck is good what is wrong with y'all

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I'm listening to Turtleneck again now and it very much reminds me of a Franz Ferdinand song

Chamberk
Jan 11, 2004

when there is nothing left to burn you have to set yourself on fire
Turtleneck fuckin' rules but I had to listen to the album about 10 times to come to love it

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Listened to the album this afternoon, it's as great as the rest of their discography, definitely on par with my favorites. How these people manage to do soul-crushing somberness so well, I'll never know. Liked it a lot!

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

CJacobs posted:

How these people manage to do soul-crushing somberness so well, I'll never know

Same way most musicians do it - years of drug addictions and failed relationships! See also: Spiritualized (greatest band of all time).

TheAbortionator
Mar 4, 2005

Empire line/I'll still destroy you just made this album jump from a 7 to a 9 for me.

androo posted:

New National Album is like a personal fuckin holiday.

No kidding maeng. The only other band that gets a similar treatment from me is Radiohead.

But God drat this was a long day waiting to be done driving/farrying/flying so i can balls deep in a bottle of gin and celebrate "new national album day.
God drat satalite radio kept advertising the album would be played in new york and streamed live an hour after I had to turn the car in.

TheAbortionator fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Sep 9, 2017

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I gave it a proper 2nd listen at home loudly on my big speakers as opposed to not too loud in my car while driving, which is how I heard it the first time. Liking it more, but still don't think it's as good as Trouble Will Find Me. Nobody Else Will Be There, Day I Die, Guilty Party and Dark Side of the Gym are the highlights for me.

Spotify shuffled to I Should Live In Salt after it was done and that song is just so much more my poo poo than most of this album. It has that signature National morose sadness but it has this weight and energy to it that I feel like the majority of this album lacks.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
After a full listen I think it's a really really good album with only one weak track (Empire Line). That one may grow on me too so who knows.

If I had one complaint it's that it's just kinda... more of the same from The National. Not a big deal and good on them for doing what they do best. But at some point I'd like to see them try something a little different.

I feel like Turtleneck is kind of the seed of that so who knows.

publishko
Feb 16, 2014

BonoMan posted:

After a full listen I think it's a really really good album with only one weak track (Empire Line). That one may grow on me too so who knows.

If I had one complaint it's that it's just kinda... more of the same from The National. Not a big deal and good on them for doing what they do best. But at some point I'd like to see them try something a little different.

I feel like Turtleneck is kind of the seed of that so who knows.

they apparently have a bunch of other more aggressive songs they wrote in the wake of the election that they decided not to put on the record, opting for a more meditative and introspective sound, so you might be right

source: http://www.thedailybeast.com/the-national-learn-to-cope-with-the-trump-era?source=TDB&via=FB_Page

quote:

The National recorded approximately 15 other song sketches for Beast, many of which feature the band playing together in punk-inspired fashion as a visceral reaction to the, er, national mood leading up to election.

“The funny thing is, when Trump won everything changed: the awareness of who we are as a nation, I think, suddenly shifted. A light went on for a lot of people. ‘Oh, we are in bad shape. The soul of our country is very ill,’” Berninger says. “We had no idea how ill we are. In a lot of ways, I felt the record needed to get more sensitive.”

Those outraged songs were put aside as the band gravitated towards more meditative ones. “We had to turn the dial in a different direction,” Berninger says. “I felt there was a need to go inward and go into more of a dreamlike state, and process it from a weird, emotionally internal place first, before I can package an idea of what the gently caress is happening. I can’t do that yet.”

Maybe next time. Aaron Dessner says the band is interested in possibly finishing and releasing those songs when Berninger is ready.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

They should've released that album instead.

DuhSal
Aug 16, 2004

I will, brother. I promise.

Pillbug
I've only listened to it once but I really like it. I think it's better than Trouble Will Find Me, it seems a bit more varied and interesting production wise. I am curious to hear those apparent punk-ish songs after hearing Turtleneck. That could be pretty neat.

fart barterer
Aug 24, 2006

David Byrne - Like Humans Do (Radio Edit).mp3
I'm still not digging it as much as their earlier post-Boxer albums. They all kinda work as a trilogy, with this one.

But god drat Empire Line is fuckin crushing. Might be my favorite song. The lyrics are so sad.

CRINDY
Sep 23, 2010

forget about ur worries and ur strife
I love Sleep Well Beast as a whole. The pieces work well on their own but come alive as a full listen. It's wonderful to hear elements burbling in the background come full circle on Sleep Well Beast, which is just a crushing song for me. The Internet seems to imply it's about a dead marriage that refuses to die, but to me it seems more like a man coming to terms with addiction (there's so much mention of weed and alcohol in the lyrics this time around) but not overcoming it. Then again we tend to apply our own readings to things like these...

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I've been talking about you to myself
Cause there's nobody else
And I want what I want
And I want everything
I want everything

Usually there's at least one total gut-punch of a verse on a National album, and this is it. I don't think I've ever heard a more perfect encapsulation of that pathetic, bargaining-tantrum at the end of a crumbling relationship as Empire Line.

Also, Turtleneck fuckin' rocks.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Bon Iver or rather I assume Justin Vernon played Slow Show with them tonight in Cork. I'm supposed to see them monday night in Dublin but I'm working and we're so understaffed no one can work my shift. It's literally the first monday I've had to work this year and I never thought to ask for it off because I didn't realise the show was so soon. Feeling so good right now.

CRINDY
Sep 23, 2010

Matt made up a story about Donald Trump stealing Joey Ramone's girlfriend and then they covered The KKK Took My Baby Away in New York, it owned fuckin bones.

And they played I'll Still Destroy You so I was a very happy camper

ThatsMyBoye
Nov 21, 2006

I wish that I believed in fate
I wish I didn't sleep so late
I used to be carried in the arms of cheerleaders
I was in the mosh area when he came down into the crowd for that cover, was the dude he touched foreheads with during the bridge of Day I Die, and was the one he scolded for almost letting him fall off the railing during Vanderlyle at the end. It was en eventful night

CRINDY
Sep 23, 2010

You guys in the front were having a hell of a time. The enthusiasm was electric and infectious. I loved hearing the stadium-wide choruses on Conversation 16, Terrible Love and Vanderlyle.

I bought pre-sale tickets in the stands instead of GA since I knew I wouldn't get to the venue early enough to get close, but for some reason we were siloed off in the left corner so I was looking at the stage almost directly parallel. It made the sound weird and a little washed out, you could hear conversations over the music, but we were still able to hear everything. Stellar show.

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...
Just saw the second Montreal show last night. I'll Still Destroy You was one of the songs they skipped that night, so I'm bummed out about that, but otherwise it was a great set.

They are really overdue for doing a live album. Even their songs I'm not a fan of have an amazing energy in concert.

interpunct
Aug 2, 2006

Bad girls think that you're being a boob punch

kuddles posted:

They are really overdue for doing a live album. Even their songs I'm not a fan of have an amazing energy in concert.

Hahah, does "A Lot of Sorrow" count?

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...
I noticed on the long list of songs they have performed this tour, Sorrow isn't in it. Can't blame them for having no interest in performing it ever again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

A bit of thread necromancy and a total long shot here, but are any kiwi goons going to their show at the end of the month?

• Locked thread