Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
If the fight with Jiren takes off on Oct 8th and they're hyping it as the BIG FIGHT I'd imagine the next few weeks people are going to basically be throwing themselves off the ring

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
It would be hilarious if Jiren and Goku's fight continues well past the 8th, and everything continues to do their own thing as they trade blows in the background.

Also I must just be easily impressed cause Jiren flash stepping behind Goku just to tell him to piss off was enough to satisfy me until his big fight.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Looks like there will be a new ending starting with the special. Wonder if that means the ending elim theory will be proven wrong

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Has there been an actual leak to prove that Vegeta is the next to be eliminated or is it just "ending credits point to that, and he's fighting Frost next round"?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

seiferguy posted:

Has there been an actual leak to prove that Vegeta is the next to be eliminated or is it just "ending credits point to that, and he's fighting Frost next round"?
the latter

Zinkraptor
Apr 24, 2012

I feel like Vegeta would at least fight teletubby-girl-whose-name-I-forget before getting eliminated since it's featured so prominently in the opening, and the opening probably has more weight than the ending credits.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
He did, for like half a minute. Then he ran away because she's apparently grosser than Dodoria, Zarbon, 19, and Fat Buu.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
DBZA Bojack movie preview

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Justin_Brett posted:

He did, for like half a minute. Then he ran away because she's apparently grosser than Dodoria, Zarbon, 19, and Fat Buu.

Oh my god now that I look at it her and 19 are almost identical

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.
Jiren himself hasn't been a letdown so much as the entire tournament has been tbh.

Jiren is a symptom of the tournament feeling like it's not allowed to actually be threatening to Universe 7 (and by extension Universe 6)

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Cute

Though we are closing in on Bojack's movie

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Stallion Cabana posted:

Jiren himself hasn't been a letdown so much as the entire tournament has been tbh.

Jiren is a symptom of the tournament feeling like it's not allowed to actually be threatening to Universe 7 (and by extension Universe 6)

I definitely agree with this, especially to the stronger players. Sure, it's great to see that at least the likes of Krillin, Tien, and Roshi can see some difficulty or get knocked out, but until someone on par with Vegeta/Goku/17 sees some sort of danger it's pretty lame. It's fun to watch but you already know what's going to happen.

on the plus side, when 17 gets elim'd I'll be actually interested in the power level of whoever manages that

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

RBX posted:

I didn't even notice, it showed up in my recommendations. He has a good video calling Caulifa a Mary Sue but the rest are just ehhh.

So I watched this one and its uh, really not good at all. Like, he gives Vegeta the benefit of the doubt when it comes to how he obtained SSJ2, but seems to assume Caulifla did nothing at all ever to train herself prior to learning about SSJ. He also kind of ignores the fact that she actually did have a legit non-backtingle reason for going SSJ2 for the first time.

Also he criticizes her enthusiasm when being taught by Goku how to go SSJ2 and of the existence of SSJ3 by saying that it's "fangirling" but like, that's exactly how Goku would react if he were in her shoes.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

It's almost as if accusations of a female character being a "Mary Sue" are thinly veiled sexism more often than not.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Kashuno posted:

I definitely agree with this, especially to the stronger players. Sure, it's great to see that at least the likes of Krillin, Tien, and Roshi can see some difficulty or get knocked out, but until someone on par with Vegeta/Goku/17 sees some sort of danger it's pretty lame. It's fun to watch but you already know what's going to happen.

on the plus side, when 17 gets elim'd I'll be actually interested in the power level of whoever manages that

This is why I kinda hope the speculation that Vegeta is gonna get ringed out next episode is true. At the very least it would up the stakes and give some weight to the whole "fight smart not hard" thing they're trying to push for this tournament, by having a lesser opponent ring-out Vegeta.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

a cartoon duck posted:

This is why I kinda hope the speculation that Vegeta is gonna get ringed out next episode is true. At the very least it would up the stakes and give some weight to the whole "fight smart not hard" thing they're trying to push for this tournament, by having a lesser opponent ring-out Vegeta.

I actually really like the way Frost took out Krillin. Wait for someone to take a little breather and relax after taking out some opponents, then just come behind them and eliminate them. It's more how a tournament like this would go than anything else so far. You can see brief moments of smart fighting break through the brawls going on (Hit and Goku agreeing not to fight at the time, Hit getting Kale and Caulifla to safety so they can recover, Hit..) but overall it's just a non-stop series of fights

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Why can't it be Goku instead, why does Vegeta have to be the one drat it. I know I know, Prince of all jobbers.

I feel like a jerk saying this but by no means am I defelecting the criticism but has Dragonball Z ever been like tense ever when it comes to the tournaments? Like the u6 v.s u7 was basically the Goku and Vegeta show. I mean yeah the hypest part was seeing SSB Kaioken x10 which was great.

So far TOP has been okayish. I was more expecting that it was just gonna be a huge u6/u7/ and the pride troppers show . My biggest disappointment so far are the pride troppers. I figure they would be the bigger threat.

Jiren has been a huge lackluster opponent. The anime opening so far is the only thing that makes him look interesting.

Honestly I sometimes wonder if they are just writing this as it is goes because like what do they do with the likes of Freeza and what not? Dude's just been shown here and there etc. It's just a mess.

Shindragon fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Sep 8, 2017

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
The free for all prelims were never interesting in Dragonball. The format doesn't lend itself well to this kind of storytelling.

Most of the episodes they've done would have fit into a 1v1 tourney system saga practically unchanged.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I like the tournament and can suspend disbelief enough to enjoy it.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Shindragon posted:

Why can't it be Goku instead, why does Vegeta have to be the one drat it. I know I know, Prince of all jobbers.

I feel like a jerk saying this but by no means am I defelecting the criticism but has Dragonball Z ever been like tense ever when it comes to the tournaments? Like the u6 v.s u7 was basically the Goku and Vegeta show. I mean yeah the hypest part was seeing SSB Kaioken x10 which was great.

I'd be legit amazed if Goku gets ringed out before the rest of the team and now everyone else has to pick up the pace, but I don't think anyone's gonna believe that's gonna happen. At least there's a non-zero chance Vegeta's gonna job.

Also yeah, tournaments in Z weren't great, all one-and-a-half it had, but when I watched original flavour Dragon Ball the World Martial Arts Tournaments were my favorite bits. The structure was always fairly simple, but having Goku deal with some colorful opponents and last year's big shots on one side of the bracket while the new antagonist cleans house and defeats all of Goku's pals on the other side of the bracket did a nice enough job increasing tension for the coming finale. Super's been trying to recapture that tournament arc spirit, but to middling success at best. U6 vs U7 was the Goku and Vegeta show as you said, and the structure of that tournament meant Hit's just been sitting on his butt all that time doing nothing, so there wasn't a lot of excitement there either. The ToP's kinda trying to rectify that with a free-for-all structure but it all gets muddled by Jiren just doing gently caress-all and everyone just half-heartedly assuring us that no, really, he is totally powerful. By the same time in Dragon Ball Tien or Piccolo would've whupped asses all the way to the finals, so we'd at least be interested in their showdown with Goku.

There's also the problem that tournaments in Dragon Ball used to be the place where the characters revealed all the cool new poo poo they came up with, whereas in Super it's mostly just going "hey, remember all that cool new poo poo characters came up with previously? Here it is, again!". While it's nice to have old characters do things again and I've enjoyed the ToP for the most part, it does feel like retreading ground more than trying new things.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

IcePhoenix posted:

can suspend disbelief enough to enjoy it.

I do this with the cheap rotgut whiskey I'm drinking.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

To me the problem is that with other tournaments, you would get fights that don't have Goku, and let other people appear strong.

The TOP being a Battle Royale means we don't get that.

We don't get to see the Pride Troopers destroying Universe 3 or whatever; where Toppo and Jiren are like 'we don't even have to fight' and the other 8 destroy a universe. We don't get Jiren or Toppo or Dypso fighting Universe 9 by themselves and winning or something; universes assigned as being weak or wimps and not having a chance and letting the pride troopers show up.

Instead every Fight has to involve a Universe 6 or 7 person, and that Universe 6 or 7 person has to win. It's not always Goku; and not all of the fights are bad, 17's Warrior of Darkness routine was amazing, and I'm not denying that. But it doesn't make the tournament feel big, and it doesn't make the world feel strong, that every fight involves Universe 6 and 7, and that they're so strong compared to everyone else that it's basically a joke.

In a more structured Tournament, we might still be seeing only 3 people of Universe 11 up after a bad encounter with a strong universe, but it wouldn't have been Goku and friends wiping everyone out in 20 minutes, and there'd have been Universe 11 actually having won some things to get where they are.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Tbh this tournament would be so much better as 10v10 bouts between universes in a tournament format

e; a buddy sent me this link and today I learned there is a figure line called Dragonball Gals and uh..yikes. kinda nws?

https://i.redd.it/wht2aukglpkz.jpg

Kashuno fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Sep 8, 2017

Caros
May 14, 2008

Kashuno posted:

Tbh this tournament would be so much better as 10v10 bouts between universes in a tournament format

e; a buddy sent me this link and today I learned there is a figure line called Dragonball Gals and uh..yikes. kinda nws?

https://i.redd.it/wht2aukglpkz.jpg

Lol if you think that is bad. My local comic shop has these and there is one that, I kid you not, is called "Chi Chi childhood ver"

I felt like I should be on a list just for going near the loving thing.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Yeah Toei has licensed out both One Piece and Dragonball to a company that makes horrifically exaggerated sexual parodies of women from both series

and I know what you're thinking with the One Piece part of that

it's worse

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

No wonder 18 wanted to kill Gero.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Blockhouse posted:

Yeah Toei has licensed out both One Piece and Dragonball to a company that makes horrifically exaggerated sexual parodies of women from both series

and I know what you're thinking with the One Piece part of that

it's worse

As someone who doesn't know a thing about One Piece, do I dare want to know?

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

seiferguy posted:

As someone who doesn't know a thing about One Piece, do I dare want to know?

Oda (The creator and artist) is pretty bad about constantly increasing the bust and hip size of his female characters over time, as the women characters have gone from realistically sort of proportioned to insanely stylized sex pieces with giant tits, wrist thin waists and thick hips.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Stallion Cabana posted:

Oda (The creator and artist) is pretty bad about constantly increasing the bust and hip size of his female characters over time, as the women characters have gone from realistically sort of proportioned to insanely stylized sex pieces with giant tits, wrist thin waists and thick hips.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

I'm genuinely unsure if this is fake or not

Black_Oni 165
Mar 11, 2015

Is this for real? Hot drat by the end it looks like a bloody play dough experiment gone wrong rather than something that should resemble a woman.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

Episode 900 is fake- there's only been 804 episodes- I think but everything else is 100% for real.

Black_Oni 165
Mar 11, 2015
Your art has problems when a gigantic saiyan gorilla has a more humanoid appearance than a main female character. Like, what the heck.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Stallion Cabana posted:

It's also been a couple years since I read it, but almost all his woman looked pretty much the same too. It's weird how someone so imaginative can be so incredibly boring when it comes to that.

TenCentFang
Sep 5, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

But can they dodge bullets?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Momomo posted:

It's also been a couple years since I read it, but almost all his woman looked pretty much the same too. It's weird how someone so imaginative can be so incredibly boring when it comes to that.

No Dragonball characters look alike that's for sure.

just bob
Sep 6, 2017

by Reene

sassassin posted:

No Dragonball characters look alike that's for sure.

....except the women

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Stallion Cabana posted:

Oda addressed this recently in one of the Q&A sections that I think satisfies any concerns.

SBS posted:

(I only draw this kind of body, so I get a lot of complaint postcards from my female audience. Let's all stay strong and keep on living life.)

also this

quote:

Oda: I keep saying this, but I'm just bringing the young boys' dreams to life! All of humanity on earth! I command your breasts to grow~!

mabels big day fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Sep 9, 2017

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Stallion Cabana posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

mabels big day posted:

Oda addressed this recently in one of the Q&A sections that I think satisfies any concerns.

also this

A Life and Hometown man, I can respect that