Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Enchanted Hat
Aug 18, 2013

Defeated in Diplomacy under suspicious circumstances

ModernSociety posted:

But it's whether it's intentional by CIG, is it an elaborate set-up, specifically designed to generate this cult mentality, with Derek and Goons as the clear 'villains'? If that's the case, It's clearly a scam and everyone has been taken for a ride (including goons to a degree). It also means that there's someone in that company who is far, far smarter than they are letting on.

It cant be Cribblets
Sandi is clearly not the marketer she claims to be, so I can't see that either.

...Creepy Ortwin?

Of course it's all set up. You think anyone posts in this thread for free? lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

Ash1138 posted:

i remember some blog post or tweet or whatever about someone being convinced to stay with a fat sack of cash

was a name ever dropped? i think erin was the rumored party, but i could see lando earning that cash with his blatant "no fucks given" mode

It was that Forrest dude that is on the show with Sandi usually.

runsamok
Jan 12, 2011

Enchanted Hat posted:

Of course it's all set up. You think anyone posts in this thread for free? lol

My cat pictures are actually invoices for my reverse-anti-shilling, cunningly hidden using stenography.

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

ModernSociety posted:

But it's whether it's intentional by CIG, is it an elaborate set-up, specifically designed to generate this cult mentality, with Derek and Goons as the clear 'villains'? If that's the case, It's clearly a scam and everyone has been taken for a ride (including goons to a degree). It also means that there's someone in that company who is far, far smarter than they are letting on.

It cant be Cribblets

...Creepy Ortwin?

The only thing CIG is competent at is a) Generating Hype, b) Taking your money.

Cribblets hands are clearly visible in the "dealership" approach to cars ships with sales, luxury models, option packages and etc.

According to recent info the current CIG marketing director is a woman (not Sandy) who has wisely made herself as silent and invisible as possible, never appearing on any promotional materials.

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

runsamok posted:

My cat pictures are actually invoices for my reverse-anti-shilling, cunningly hidden using stenography.

Can stenography be Archered?

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/SC_Facts/status/906250819124781060

MilesK
Nov 5, 2015

Where's the Twin Towers?

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

The continued push to pretend that Star Citizen is an established and widely beloved IP.

The actual reaction of 99.99999% of the population when you mention Chris Roberts' name:

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

Scruffpuff posted:

The continued push to pretend that Star Citizen is an established and widely beloved IP.

The actual reaction of 99.99999% of the population when you mention Chris Roberts' name:

Lol - it's an ad for a gray-market ship reseller from the looks of it.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
"In the future, New York will be an important city with many tall buildings and a big central park" - what passes for an "interesting" fact in the astonishing next-level futuristic sc-fi vision of Chris Roberts.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
#interstingbollocks

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

Why does Central park need to be domed to protect it? It's a freaking park.

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

Thoatse posted:

Nah, you made a decent effort post that summed up the way I saw sc go off the rails and where it left me in relation to the project, the win is yours friend.

Let's rub then

Combat Theory fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Sep 8, 2017

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Lladre posted:

Why does Central park need to be domed to protect it? It's a freaking park.

Duh it is the future!

PrimeNerd
Dec 17, 2016
Wow, I didn't realize using a fictional representation of an American city helps promote UK culture! I bet HRM and her tax auditors didn't know that either.

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

Hmm - interesting lore. Tell me more.

<clicks link>

Someone wants to unload some inventory.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Wasn't there a AtV showing some guy creating this city?
And that each building was like a kerbillion polys.
Could be shrooming this though, not sure.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

MilesK posted:

Where's the Twin Towers?

9/11/2942 Never forget.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

happyhippy posted:

Wasn't there a AtV showing some guy creating this city?
And that each building was like a kerbillion polys.
Could be shrooming this though, not sure.

Just like most of their development. It is touched on briefly to fill air time and then never mentioned again

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Rabelais D posted:

The cake that reads "Robert need more gold" should get some more love, as the Chinese either side is a qiyan (seven syllable per line) rhyming couplet:

人间自有真情在,能骗一快是一块

which goes something like this:

"As true devotion exists in the world of man, [Chris Roberts] will scam every dollar that he can."

Of course, "Robert need more gold" is a more effective and accurate translation in a lot of ways.

hi from 100 pages back this post is really good

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017
wait, people actually read derek's blogs?

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/RobertsSpaceInd/status/906262122342092800

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

80% of the replies are critical of the 3.0 release

Good I say

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

D1E posted:

Pretty sure Beet Wagon is going to probate or try to ban me for saying this, but Derek is just as full of poo poo as Croberts, just in a different insane way.

You guys can pick on MoMA all you want for being a giant nerd who believes against all evidence to the contrary that Star Citizen will be the game he has always dreamed of, but honestly that describes Beer and most of us back in the early days of this shitshow.

MoMA and the other true believers are just sad, but Derek is utterly pathetic.

lol

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
I love Star Citizen, and all it's craziness
GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA
College Slice
I made a thing. :shobon:

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

ModernSociety posted:

It cant be Cribblets

...Creepy Ortwin?

Derek & Crobberts are working together on this campaign. One has a Tesla, the other a Porsche, both bought by backer funds. The feud is just an elaborate ploy to garner more loyalty and funding from the backers.

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat
That future NYC is so terrible, Manhattan is too skinny, the Hudson and the East river are too wide, none of the small islands are there. It's poo poo.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

You clearly don't understand joke development :justpost:

Hobold posted:

:prepop:

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Roberts.... Gay ?

Toblakai
Jul 11, 2017

Hobold posted:

:vince: :perfect: :five::five::five::five::five::five:

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard
Eurogamer: Chris Roberts "a bit too ambitious"

Wing Commander designer talks about his departure from Digital Anvil as the company is bought out by Microsoft posted:

In the wake of the collapse of Digital Anvil, co-founder and soon-to-be-former CEO Chris Roberts has spoken about his decision to leave the company he founded just four years ago. As we suspected, the company's troubles were down to "wanting to develop not only hugely ambitious games, but too many hugely ambitious games", leaving the company's finances stretched after four years without a single game being released - the sole title to emerge with the Digital Anvil name on it was actually mostly developed by a small British company.

Having left the monolithic corporate world that is Electronic Arts almost five years ago to found Digital Anvil in the first place, it is somewhat ironic that his dream development studio is now being taken over by the monolithic corporate world that is Microsoft, and Roberts has confirmed that his decision to leave the company is simply because he has no desire to find himself in the same situation again.

We also have confirmation on the status of Digital Anvil's various games, with Chris Roberts apparently "spending a fair amount of time talking to other publishers" at the moment, trying to find a home for real-time strategy game "Conquest", which was dropped by Microsoft a few weeks ago, triggering the crisis that has lead to the company's demise. "Loose Cannon" will also be looking for a new publisher, with project lead Tony Zurovec leaving the company to complete the game elsewhere. Erin Roberts will be staying on at Digital Anvil though, continuing his work on an as-yet unannounced Xbox title.

But what next for Chris Roberts, the man who brought us the groundbreaking Wing Commander series? "I just want to see Freelancer out the door, and then I want to take some time to reassess everything. Taking three and a half to four years to build a massive title just seems like a huge amount of effort. There needs to be a better way to do it."

Rather worryingly though, according to GameSpot "he has expressed his interest to work in film and exploit broadband technology to us recently". Oh please god, no! Anybody who has had the misfortune to see the truly appalling Wing Commander movie will be praying that Chris has a sudden change of heart. Although he has produced some impressive games in his time, his debut movie was something of an unmitigated disaster, flopping at the box office and featuring some hilariously bad acting and dialogue which would be perfectly at home in a computer game cutscene, but just looks plain ridiculous on the big screen. We can but hope...
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/article_29857

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
"Taking three and a half to four years to build a massive title just seems like a huge amount of effort. There needs to be a better way to do it."
"Taking three and a half to four years to build a massive title just seems like a huge amount of effort. There needs to be a better way to do it."

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Hobold posted:

*phone ringing*

Hobold: "Hello?"

Caller: "WOOF! WOOF! WOOF! WOOF! WOOF! WOOF! WOOF! WOOF! WOOF! WOOF! WOOF! WOOF! WOOF! WOOF! WOOF! "

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Hobold posted:

Lmao that owns.

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

You clearly don't understand joke development :justpost:
*Chris turns on the tv*

An image of a drone who labours over code in an office flashes into being on screen and a voice over asks, "Are you tired of deadlines being missed or ignored?" The drone nods sadly. Chris raises an eyebrow and looks around to see if anyone is watching. He draws a little closer.

"Sick of your impressive ambition never gaining traction?" the bodiless narrator asks shrilly, and the drone nods further and gives out a sorrowful, "Sure am." Chris leans further towards to the glow of the television. His eyes widen as hope flutters in his heart.

"Don't you wish there was a better way to ensure your dreams reach the market?" the television blares as Chris crawls towards the television and grasps the set within his hands. The drone on screen nods sadly.

"Yes! Yes!" Chris says excitedly, all fear of those who might overhear him lost at the prospect of salvation.

"Tired of your project making no progress despite all your good ideas and staff?" the narrator cuts back in, "Well, lucky for you, there's a better way!"

"Tell me, tell me! Please!" Chris bellows and shakes the television.

"Well, your answer is here, with our help from the EA studios! With a powerful publisher on your side you can get that game off the ground and away from development hell! Here at EA we are here to help struggling developers just like you reach their potential!"

Chris howls and curls into the fetal position, his spirit finally as broken as his game.

cupitor
Oct 13, 2016

Hobold posted:

:discourse: :five: :five::five::five::five::five:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
I love Star Citizen, and all it's craziness
GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA
College Slice

big nipples big life posted:

*phone ringing*

Hobold: "Hello?"

Caller: "WOOF! WOOF! WOOF! WOOF! WOOF! WOOF! WOOF! WOOF! WOOF! WOOF! WOOF! WOOF! WOOF! WOOF! WOOF! "

I'd just put it on speaker so my corgi, an Air Force Col., can handle the for me. Corgi Carter is ready to help.