Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
sometimes a fighting manga where the main conflict is explicitly not tournament-related is still entirely about a tournament, for no particular reason. actually i think that's just anzai nobuyuki, who is a hack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
The main benefit of a tournament is that guys other than the main guy + Z fighters can win a fight sometimes.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

sometimes a fighting manga where the main conflict is explicitly not tournament-related is still entirely about a tournament, for no particular reason. actually i think that's just anzai nobuyuki, who is a hack.
Most battle shonen ends up in a series of 1-on-1 fights sooner or later, whether it's framed as a tournament or not. Hell, Anzai's done it both well AND poorly depending on which series you're reading. (MAR is the bad one, for the record.)

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Man, I loved MAR.

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

YOU CAN NOT BUST THE KRUST
Hate-Senpai, what is the text from your custom title referencing? Lyrics from a song? I wanna know why you're transcending. tia

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Jedah posted:

Hate-Senpai, what is the text from your custom title referencing? Lyrics from a song? I wanna know why you're transcending. tia

It's the reference to a fan comic.

https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/rin_x_sachiko_is_pretty_good_huh

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Transcending cause Sachiko is the cutest.

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

YOU CAN NOT BUST THE KRUST
Ahhh, okay, thanks. yeah it's a pretty cute av, I like it.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

ZeroCount posted:

yeah like from a storytelling perspective or whatever obviously this is pretty garbage (esp that chapter that was literally just introducing the fighters and nothing else) but Kengan Ashura has decided to be this and be this so hard that its actually good. You will never read a manga that is more invested in a tournament arc.

I can't really think that KA is poorly written. Stuff like setting up fighters outside of fights is important because this isn't the kind of series where fighters only need to exist for one match. Heck, characters like Jerry stick around to give color commentary and there are a number of relationships and friendships between fighters that get shown between matches. So instead of just diving into each fight and having blows, the fighters are fairly consistently getting fleshed out between, and in a fight to make them more than just [guy with fighting technique]

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

Hate-Senpai posted:

Man, I loved MAR.

:same:

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Kengan-Ashua/Vol-010-Ch-078?id=383102

New Chapter!

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
This is pretty much the best match so far.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Mango Polo posted:

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

Kazuo screaming "YEAAAAH" is me every chapter of this match

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Pro Wrestling is great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kENvZOCTCKs

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
what a fight

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

Mango Polo posted:

Uncle Khasim
Dec 20, 2009

I can't stop rereading this fight even though I've reread the raws a million times.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Uncle Khasim posted:

I can't stop rereading this fight even though I've reread the raws a million times.

It's so good. It's a level beyond all the other previous fights.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Jun's greatest weakness (disregarding the whole taking every attack that comes his way) seems to be attacks that he doesn't expect.

Since he has a self-enforced rule of taking every blow that comes his way, he's aware that they're coming and is mentally prepared to take them on, which helps him steel himself mentally for every strike.

But two times he's been caught off guard.

The first time was when Ouma pinched him, and the second time was when Koizan kicked him this fight.

Like, while he recovered pretty quick against Ouma, and did have his whole pro wrestlers are good actors talk, I do think his initial reaction was purely reflexive.

And of course nobody really expects kicking in sumo, which is why Jun got temporarily knocked out by the kick whereas before he's been talking Koizan's barrage of slaps with a grin on his face.

Also, looking back on his first fight with Ouma and the current scans, Jun's design has changed quite a bit, I think. Could be the artstyle evolving but I think it's also because he's drawn somewhat older, to draw the contrast between his status as a grizzled veteran to Koizan's (relative) youth.

I feel like the way his eyes are drawn have also changed a bit?

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Hate-Senpai posted:

Jun's greatest weakness (disregarding the whole taking every attack that comes his way) seems to be attacks that he doesn't expect.

Since he has a self-enforced rule of taking every blow that comes his way, he's aware that they're coming and is mentally prepared to take them on, which helps him steel himself mentally for every strike.

But two times he's been caught off guard.

The first time was when Ouma pinched him, and the second time was when Koizan kicked him this fight.

Like, while he recovered pretty quick against Ouma, and did have his whole pro wrestlers are good actors talk, I do think his initial reaction was purely reflexive.

This has got me real worried how his next fight is gonna play out. Mutaba seems like the worst opponent he could have.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Electric Phantasm posted:

This has got me real worried how his next fight is gonna play out. Mutaba seems like the worst opponent he could have.

A policy of taking every blow for the sake of putting on a show is a really bad policy to have when your opponent is a guerilla warfare assassin who specializes in permanently killing/maiming people.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

To be fair to the psycho arms-merchant & assassin duo, I don't think they would go out of their way to kill an opponent if it wasn't necessary to win. In Meguro's case it was probably necessary, and if that isn't strictly true, well... both the actual readers and their analogues in the stands are willing to overlook it because he was bugfuck crazy. (In particular, he's too crazy to score those entertaining character beats outside the ring.) Sekibayashi is tenacious but not a mad dog--a Muteba win might cripple him for life but I don't think he'd kill him unless he was paid to do it. By the same token, Tomari probably wouldn't tell him to kill someone who couldn't fight back unless she had a specific grudge.

(She'd absolutely tell him to kill Rino's fighter, tho'. Not that I think he'll make it far enough to try.)

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
sekibayashi has had a long career in kengan matches. i'm sure he's had to deal with people trying to cripple or kill him in the past.

Bushmeister
Nov 27, 2007
Son Of Northern Frostbitten Wintermoon

Kanos posted:

A policy of taking every blow for the sake of putting on a show is a really bad policy to have when your opponent is a guerilla warfare assassin who specializes in permanently killing/maiming people.

lol if you think Sekibayashi just can't grin and will a new eyeball into existence by sheer guts alone

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Good news everyone, turns out that our favorite muscular professor is still alive.

Three new chapters of Danberu!

http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Danberu-nan-kiro-moteru/Ch-026?id=383414

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Hate-Senpai posted:

Good news everyone, turns out that our favorite muscular professor is still alive.

I'm pretty sure this story takes place before Kengan Asura. It's pretty hard to justify this guy surviving his head being rotated several hundred degrees, even with all the crazy stuff being present.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Brought To You By posted:

I'm pretty sure this story takes place before Kengan Asura. It's pretty hard to justify this guy surviving his head being rotated several hundred degrees, even with all the crazy stuff being present.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
I'm sitting here grinning at this.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
The Intelligent Barbarian isn't so easily taken out.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
You probably shouldn't question how unrealistic some of the injuries(and healing from them) in Kengan Asura are.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Which of the remaining matches are you guys hyped the most for?

Personally I can't wait for the doctor deathmatch. I can see a match between two medical experts getting even more vicious than Muteba's match, and I really like both the fighters. One's a polite ex-medical student who was arrested because he liked raiding yakuza offices in his spare time for whatever reason, and the other's the batshit dissection-obsessed doctor who's ironically done nothing but run the medical center extremely competently so far, even saving Mokichi's life from that broken neck.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Raian vs Ouma, if only because we might get some clue on what Ouma's transformation thing is. It looks a lot like the Kure's technique but Kazu says it's different and I believe in Kazu.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Honestly when compared to the side characters, I don't really like the anime power up protagonists and antagonists. Even the Himalayan otaku jobber had a cooler power up move where The Strongest Man in the Himalayas reawakened in combat after being suppressed from overindulgence in his vices after travelling to the modern world.

It's Kaio-Ken 100% vs probably a lifespan shortening superpower judging by what the doctor said after watching Ohma, which seems kinda lame when you compare it to the other gimmicks.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Yeah I wasn't too big a fan of Ouma busting that out in his fight against Jun, but he's the MC so I'll hafta let it go.

I do agree that Ouma doesn't interest me as much as the side characters.

Jun too good.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Ohma's actual martial arts are pretty cool. What with them being all about redirecting force, to the extreme of his teacher being introduced redirecting a bullet with his fist.

But the super mode is definitely pretty boring. Hopefully it gets canceled out during the Raian fight by his bullshit super mode and they have to have a real fight :v:

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
This is probably one of my favorite panels in that you really get this sense of how fast Gozo is running here, like way his arms are moving.

Gozo's also a character I love, for a dude who gets even less focus than most. I just dig that smile he's constantly sporting, and how he takes a loss as a motivator for new heights to reach to. Takes guts to smile when your guts are literally all hosed up.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
New chapter - https://bato.to/reader#a1fde634738b9d26

"Talking is an integral part of pro-wrestling." :hellyeah:

JosephWongKS fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Sep 14, 2017

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Hate-Senpai posted:

This is probably one of my favorite panels in that you really get this sense of how fast Gozo is running here, like way his arms are moving.

its like a panel from gash bell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

JosephWongKS posted:

New chapter - https://bato.to/reader#a1fde634738b9d26

"Talking is an integral part of pro-wrestling." :hellyeah:

well, that was a very anticlimactic end to that fight