Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

I'm interested in seeing if its going to copy miniseries basically, with the kids fighting IT in the sewers as the clown, after which it escapes down a pipe, and as adults they'll go further until they get to caves and the door and see the spider.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

curiosity hosed me up posted:

That happened in my theater as well. I guess i just severely overestimate how many people watched the original

Really they will have to write a lot of new material for the sequel because even the book doesn't have a lot happening for the adults. It's mainly them all returning to Derry and getting their memories back intertwined with the children's sections.

After they grew up and left Derry, Pennywise started making their memories fade. Only Mike remembered because he stayed in Derry to watch for his return.

Raccooon fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Sep 9, 2017

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Things I did not like:

- Bev being kidnapped was bad, I get that they needed something to reunite them but I didn't like the fracturing of the group much to begin with and damsel-in-distress stuff is eye rolly as poo poo
- Too many winks. Small ones are fine like the trucking company shirt or the Freese's shirt but like, why show me the standpipe or the Paul Bunyan statue and then do nothing with them? Similar criticism for having Patrick Hockstetter in the movie, giving him nothing from the book, and killing him. Why not just have him be Victor Criss who has like maybe one line?
- All of the bullies were wasted opportunities. They crammed in a lot of stuff without earning it. Why is Henry Bowers trying to carve his name into Ben when it has been established that Ben is the new kid at school? We don't even see them interact once before that.
- Lack of the fear/belief/imagination stuff, there was a bit of it but I still would have liked some Voices/battery acid/silver/etc. especially since the finale was just "hit Pennywise with bricks and poo poo"
- They basically stripped Mike's character down to nothing, felt like he was barely in the group

That said I still thought this was really good, a solid 8/10. The Georgie opening, Neibolt Street stuff with Bill/Richie/Eddie, and the slide projector scenes were all very tense and great. Definitely going to see it again.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
I thought casting Adam Driver as a teenage bully was an interesting choice.

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

I think this was originally written as just the children's story with them killing Pennywise at the end.

After the trailer exploded and they saw they had a major hit on their hands, they the decided to do a sequel with the adults.

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

This movie only had a budget of 35 mil god drat. This thing may become one of the most profitable movies of all time.

the popular kids
Dec 27, 2010

Time for some thrilling heroics.
I really enjoyed IT. I thought the casting was spot on and the comedy/horror jumping back and forth so quickly was awesome. I was laughing my rear end off one second then recoiling the next.

The bad: I live in a small city with a theatre hurting for money so my show was half 8 to 14 year olds in the audience because they would definitely not turn down that cash. Lots of giggling and high pitched screaming from a group of about eight 14 year old girls. Seriously I think half the audience under 14.

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

It was great seeing it with a large audience. Some of the scenes were so unsettling you could hear nervous laughter after they were over.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

I loving loved it. Only complaint was the not great CGI but with that budget, I get it.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
Holy poo poo this was a blast.

I wasn't super sold on Pennywise until him coming out of the fridge and attacking Eddie. Then I was sold. His little strut as he gleefully proclaims "Time to Float" was just perfect

The Losers were all perfect casting, although I feel Stan and Mike got the short end of the stick when it came to material as they had very little to do. Finn Wolfhard steals the goddamn show though as Richie. "Now I have to kill this loving clown" was straight up my favorite part and kind of makes up for the lack of "This is Battery Acid, Fucknuts"

I am going to give it a second view after Irma calms her poo poo and I can go outside again.

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

Holy poo poo this was a blast.

I wasn't super sold on Pennywise until him coming out of the fridge and attacking Eddie. Then I was sold. His little strut as he gleefully proclaims "Time to Float" was just perfect

The Losers were all perfect casting, although I feel Stan and Mike got the short end of the stick when it came to material as they had very little to do. Finn Wolfhard steals the goddamn show though as Richie. "Now I have to kill this loving clown" was straight up my favorite part and kind of makes up for the lack of "This is Battery Acid, Fucknuts"

I am going to give it a second view after Irma calms her poo poo and I can go outside again.

They really screwed Mike. They gave his content as the historian to Ben. It felt like they just wanted the white child actors but knew they would get crucified for cutting the black character. So they ended up with Mike just being there and his only contribution was killing Bowers.

The end result was taking the wind out of Mike's and Bowers's characters.

Yeah Richie was the best part of the movie. Him being the one to say nah gently caress that deal was amazing.

Raccooon fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Sep 9, 2017

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

The Berzerker posted:

- All of the bullies were wasted opportunities. They crammed in a lot of stuff without earning it. Why is Henry Bowers trying to carve his name into Ben when it has been established that Ben is the new kid at school? We don't even see them interact once before that.

He was quickly working his way up in felonies.

Serf
May 5, 2011

I think the biggest laughs our theater had was either the scene in Ben's room where he explains the history of the town and then Bev closes the door with a slow creak to reveal the huge New Kids on the Block poster or "Now I have to kill this loving clown."

Overall I quite liked how in the end they beat Pennywise to death with improvised weapons. It has the feeling of a low-level D&D adventure where the PCs have to just surround the enemy and chip away at it until they win through sheer numbers and determination.

ARMBAR A COP
Nov 24, 2007

No one has mentioned my personal creepiest moment:

When Ben is reading about the Egg Hunt explosion, the librarian is in the background just standing there and smiling and doesn't move until he sees the balloon.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
There were a lot of good moments in this and overall it was really entertaining but man, it totally feels like a longer, more detailed film that got snipped down to almost nothing.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

The Berzerker posted:

Things I did not like:

He's not really a new kid, he'd been around for at least a chunk of the school year. It's just that no one bothered to learn his name because he was a dorky fat kid. I'm his first scene Bev mentions that the entire school knows Henry has been hunting for him and that Ben should take off while Henry is occupied on the other side of the achool.

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

PUNKS DIET SODA posted:

No one has mentioned my personal creepiest moment:

When Ben is reading about the Egg Hunt explosion, the librarian is in the background just standing there and smiling and doesn't move until he sees the balloon.

Yeah, Jesus, this, she's out of focus as well but you can tell there's something really wrong with her face, like the smile is too wide and it's kind of scrunched up

n4
Jul 26, 2001

Poor Chu-Chu : (
I loved it. We all float down here.

Really loved how IT's eyes changed color depending on the scene.

I also liked when IT danced.

I worry about you Bevy, I worry a lot.

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011
9/10, this is not a masterpiece by any definition but it's still going to be a classic. Some of the scares are a little generic, others are inventive. I liked the Bev plotline a lot of people here hated, but I think if you don't come in here with a TvTropes checklist, you'd understand what they were actually going for. The problems were with cut down Mike content, the bullies, and Pennywise not having enough dialogue. Everyone said eveyrthing about the first two but Bill Skarsgard was so loving good and they erred on the normally strong route of less is more a little too much. One of the things that make the 'break the group' up scene suck so loving much, was the fact they've could have done that with Pennywise offering them a deal after Bev shoved a pipe in his eye: Leave me the gently caress alone, and you'll not only get out of Derry, but be rich and live long enough to die of old age like at the very end. They could have extended it and made the deal seem both more genuine and define how loving cowardly this eldtric god actually was.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Welp, I saw it. I now know the goon standard for great is "R-rated Goonies."

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Clown dad had these vertical seams where Pennywise's lip paint extends up his eyes, it was a nice touch. But I'm surprised Pennywise bothered- at that point she wasn't afraid of her real dad, so what can clown dad do? Guess he was just desperate.

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

NutritiousSnack posted:

9/10, this is not a masterpiece by any definition but it's still going to be a classic. Some of the scares are a little generic, others are inventive. I liked the Bev plotline a lot of people here hated, but I think if you don't come in here with a TvTropes checklist, you'd understand what they were actually going for. The problems were with cut down Mike content, the bullies, and Pennywise not having enough dialogue. Everyone said eveyrthing about the first two but Bill Skarsgard was so loving good and they erred on the normally strong route of less is more a little too much. One of the things that make the 'break the group' up scene suck so loving much, was the fact they've could have done that with Pennywise offering them a deal after Bev shoved a pipe in his eye: Leave me the gently caress alone, and you'll not only get out of Derry, but be rich and live long enough to die of old age like at the very end. They could have extended it and made the deal seem both more genuine and define how loving cowardly this eldtric god actually was.

I agree on the deal stuff because any moron should know if Pennywise is making a deal at that moment it's because he is scared of losing.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Panfilo posted:

Clown dad had these vertical seams where Pennywise's lip paint extends up his eyes, it was a nice touch. But I'm surprised Pennywise bothered- at that point she wasn't afraid of her real dad, so what can clown dad do? Guess he was just desperate.

It's the classic solution to fighting a monster based on your greatest fear - overwhelm it with people so it can't stay in a fear form for very long. It lessens the impact and makes the creature less effective - the entire final scene was it bouncing between forms trying to have fear take root and failing miserably.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

NutritiousSnack posted:

and Pennywise not having enough dialogue.

yeah my big complaint other than the unnecessary and often lovely cgi is pennywise talks way more/taunts them way more in the book. the only reason anyone remembers the miniseries is how great tim curry is in it due to that stuff.

I am eternal, child. I am the eater of worlds...and of children. AND. YOU. ARE. NEXT.

(i also think stanley's painting lady woulda looked scarier with a void for a mouth rather than pennywise's teeth but that's just me)

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 12:41 on Sep 9, 2017

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

As I remember the majority of his taunting was really as adults. As kids it was some one liners sort of, but mostly he just went after them to kill them like it did with any other childern. It was as adults where he was really laying into them, so thats not really a complaint I have, though it will be after part 2 rolls around if hes not teasing them and telling them to get out of town and stuff. The losers are still losing, but Stan Uris is finally ahead!

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

they cut one of the best bits of taunting when they did the projection scene (which was a book in the book).

BlackJosh
Sep 25, 2007
Pennywise was really really good in this though, even if it feels like we don't really get a whole lot of him as a character till like half way through the movie. That scene in the Neibolt St house kitchen or whatever with Eddie was fantastic. He was such a gleeful child eating monster, it was perfect

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

They should have got whoever did the first ten minutes of this movie to do the rest of the 2.5 hours because I don't know wtf happened.

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??

BlackJosh posted:

Pennywise was really really good in this though, even if it feels like we don't really get a whole lot of him as a character till like half way through the movie. That scene in the Neibolt St house kitchen or whatever with Eddie was fantastic. He was such a gleeful child eating monster, it was perfect

I think that for this half of the story less Pennywise was a good thing as the losers club story was so good it deserved to be the the centre of the film, hopefully part two goes to town on Pennywise and he really fucks with the adults.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
One of the little jokes I really appreciate was the "jump scare" joke where Pennywise appears and jumps out of the little coffin after we were already done with it.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Hey is the painting Stan was terrified of real?

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Jonas Albrecht posted:

As real as you want it to be

Disgusting Coward
Feb 17, 2014

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I thought the physical body language of It was incredibly well done though, so I never got particularly tired of watching him chase people

Although I was beyond done with LOUDMUSICLOUDMUSIC scarymonster BLARGHLEELEAHAHAHAHCLOWNRUN by the end, I agree that Pennywise's physicality and movement were really well done. I especially liked how it always left the scene by kinda...retracting. Like, eyes blanked, body inert, sliding away backwards. Put me in mind of a fisherman's lure being reeled in.

Nroo
Dec 31, 2007

Jonas Albrecht posted:

It's kind of an exaggerated Amedeo Modigliani painting, whose works were also the inspiration for the character design in Mama.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
Overall I liked it. It could've spent a bit more time establishing Mike and Ben into the club, and Bowers was underutilized. That said, everything involving Pennywise was awesome.

One thing: Did anyone else think that the dead kids in the Hocksetter death scene looked straight out of Night of the Demons?

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Disgusting Coward posted:

Although I was beyond done with LOUDMUSICLOUDMUSIC scarymonster BLARGHLEELEAHAHAHAHCLOWNRUN by the end, I agree that Pennywise's physicality and movement were really well done. I especially liked how it always left the scene by kinda...retracting. Like, eyes blanked, body inert, sliding away backwards. Put me in mind of a fisherman's lure being reeled in.

That's possibly the best description for the clown and all IT's glamours.

This is even more explicit in the basement scene with Georgie, Bill, and Pennywise--it almost looks like Pennywise is holding Georgie up like a puppet.

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

:cry:

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

I gotta say I loved how they did his teeth in the movie. That might seem like a small thing, but the description in the book of a clown with a mouth full of teeth like "Gillette blue blades at odd angles" always really stuck with me, and the effect in the old mini series was so corny.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Literally every complaint about this film is exactly the same as in Mama - the monster as such is as much a character as any of the people in it, there's no clear demarcation as to what is real and what isn't (the film is too blatantly surreal), the kids are TOO likeable, etc. Bodes well for part 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eshettar
May 9, 2013

*whispers*

yospos, bithc
Been there, see it, bought the t-shirt. Well...not so much that last part but if they were selling shirts, I definitely would have picked one up. Despite my reservations upon hearing that Beverly gets kidnapped and used as bait for the other Losers, I am soooo ready for Chapter Two to come out! Ohhhh yeeeeah, this rocked!

Quick question: did Pennywise's larder consist of levitating corpses in the book? Admittedly, it's been a while since I read the book but I could have sworn that the whole "They all float down here!" line which keeps popping up is a reference to how the left-over remains of his victims are left floating in the abandoned sewer tunnels.

Eshettar fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Sep 9, 2017

• Locked thread