Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

BlackMK4 posted:

If the second issue had not existed I would have bought it. I'm thinking it is the ABS sensors, but I am not positive. BRAKE light was on.

That's the one that would give me pause, and the possible coilover noise. Was the brake fluid topped up? Usually that's the cause for just the brake light if there's no ABS light on (sensor or wiring issue).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

https://dallas.craigslist.org/sdf/cto/d/1990-mazda-rx7/6288937989.html

2 of the other 3 pictures are also pictures of a picture on a fuckerd up phone. The fourth picture is a picture of a Harley with the RX-7 in the background.
"It's worth the drive to the country." But apparently not worth taking a few new pictures or figuring out how to use your phone.
Bonus points for being in the Dallas-Ft. Worth section of Craigslist, while being 90 miles away.

Somewhat on the opposite end of the scale, a $14,000 '88 RX-7:

https://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/cto/d/1988-mazda-rx-7-turbo-ii/6266223251.html

Clean, and low miles, but $14K?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Larrymer posted:

That's the one that would give me pause, and the possible coilover noise. Was the brake fluid topped up? Usually that's the cause for just the brake light if there's no ABS light on (sensor or wiring issue).
Apparently, on the IS300, the BRAKE light means the ebrake is pulled, the ebrake wiring has a short, the brake fluid is low, or the brake fluid level sensor is broken. I looked at the brake fluid at some point and it was full.

I guess the TRAC and ABS light signal ABS faults in the IS300... and they didn't come on when the ABS engaged (so it's not some known fault?). It happened at half pedal travel every brake application. Normal feeling brake pedal.... little bit of a drop and right into ABS. I imagine it's the ABS module, a toner ring, or a wheel speed sensor. We shall see, there are many IS300s in the sea, just not many sportcross, and I'm not really in any rush, though track season has arrived for the S2000.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Sep 6, 2017

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
It's high but that's a beautiful RX-7.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
https://phoenix.craigslist.org/cph/cto/d/2006-acura-tl-cold-ac-drives/6295716783.html
Something must be wrong with it.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Flood damaged car from Huston maybe

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Darchangel posted:

https://dallas.craigslist.org/sdf/cto/d/1990-mazda-rx7/6288937989.html

2 of the other 3 pictures are also pictures of a picture on a fuckerd up phone. The fourth picture is a picture of a Harley with the RX-7 in the background.
"It's worth the drive to the country." But apparently not worth taking a few new pictures or figuring out how to use your phone.
Bonus points for being in the Dallas-Ft. Worth section of Craigslist, while being 90 miles away.

Somewhat on the opposite end of the scale, a $14,000 '88 RX-7:

https://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/cto/d/1988-mazda-rx-7-turbo-ii/6266223251.html

Clean, and low miles, but $14K?

Are you looking for a FC? Pretty sure Spyder is getting ready to sell that black turbo he had. That's a ways from Dallas tho.

driguy
Feb 16, 2009

In The Pit!

It's a Honda v6 auto with 179k miles. My aunt had one, same year, great car, automatic transmission started going out at less than 100k miles. Drain and refill prolonged the tranny's life until she wrecked it like ~10k later. They're great cars, but the v6 paired with an auto doesn't work great. That would be my issue with it.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
So....

Is this a BAD idea, or a _________ idea? :ohdear: Did some cursory searching for how to re-title a car in Minnesota and it's surprisingly not difficult or expensive.

https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/hnp/cto/d/1982-vw-van/6256697863.html

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

scuz posted:

So....

Is this a BAD idea, or a _________ idea? :ohdear: Did some cursory searching for how to re-title a car in Minnesota and it's surprisingly not difficult or expensive.

https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/hnp/cto/d/1982-vw-van/6256697863.html

It has to have had a legal title on file recently in order to be registered and get plates. If the missing title just means he lost it somewhere and doesn't want to bother getting a new one, it's probably OK from that standpoint.

If getting a new one is not hard or expensive, then why won't the current owner get one? The title issue makes me nervous. I guess if you're gonzo to own one of these, you can take the chance. The worst outcome is that you're out $1500.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

Deteriorata posted:

It has to have had a legal title on file recently in order to be registered and get plates. If the missing title just means he lost it somewhere and doesn't want to bother getting a new one, it's probably OK from that standpoint.

If getting a new one is not hard or expensive, then why won't the current owner get one? The title issue makes me nervous. I guess if you're gonzo to own one of these, you can take the chance. The worst outcome is that you're out $1500.
I am similarly nervous about the title thing and I had similar "why didn't he get one" thoughts. I might call the jamoke and see what is the deal is.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Are you looking for a FC? Pretty sure Spyder is getting ready to sell that black turbo he had. That's a ways from Dallas tho.

Not really. I'm looking to see if there's anything insanely cheap, or to use as parts for my SA22C. It needs an engine.
I'm actually going to be selling my '90 GXL to fund the first gen, if I can get off my butt.
A Turbo II would be nice though. I wish I lived nearer to Spyder just so I could bask in the glow of his knowledge and experience.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

scuz posted:

I am similarly nervous about the title thing and I had similar "why didn't he get one" thoughts. I might call the jamoke and see what is the deal is.
Him selling it as a parts car despite it supposedly running well also screams "there is no way you will ever get a title on this".

Slack3r
Feb 20, 2004

Slugworth posted:

Him selling it as a parts car despite it supposedly running well also screams "there is no way you will ever get a title on this".

Been there done that. Picked up a cheap 50CC scooter a few years ago for $100. Guy I bought it from told me he filed for lost title. After a few weeks of that BS, I called the state. Seems that the guy HE bought it from never transferred the title. So, now we have TWO previous owners who didn't transfer a title. The state wouldn't let ME (3rd buyer) do jack squat until the first clownshoe transferred the title into HIS name, then the second doofus do the same.

The whole shebang turned into a idiotic mess of government and weedlords so I just parted it out. Shame as it was in fantastic shape and ran great. I will NEVER purchase another vehicle with no title. period.

Slack3r fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Sep 7, 2017

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

We don't do titles here. You can go in with just a bill of sale and as long as the car has been registered in alberta before and isn't reported stolen or salvage, they'll give you a registration for it.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe
Are titles a matter of public record? Like if I got the van's VIN and called up the DMV would they be able to tell me whether a title is on file?

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Texas will do a bonded title that's not too terribly expensive. It's not even very difficult to do, but it does involve a registered letter to the owner of record and some paperwork.
There are also companies that do title washing via states that only require a bill of sale. The catch is that they become the owner of record at a point in the process, and of course the service costs a bit. They exist mainly for old cars, and therefore advertise in publications like Hemmings Motor News a lot.

Mr-Spain
Aug 27, 2003

Bullshit... you can be mine.
You also have to put up for the bond but it's not that bad. I'm going to go through the process for a boat we found on his property (tiny aluminum boat but needs a title) soon.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe
:thunk:

I'm gonna look into this for sure. Maybe over lunch tomorrow. Thanks, friends.

FuzzyBuddha
Dec 7, 2003

https://fairbanks.craigslist.org/cto/d/1956-jeep-cj6/6295841836.html

Is it a Jeep? Heck, yeah. With a snow plow? Yeppers. AND a forklift? ALSO YES!

FuzzyBuddha fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Sep 7, 2017

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I think my 20 years as hurricane chaser might be a little relevant ive been through more hurricanws than moat shiitty newscasters
I had a car that needed a bond texas I knew about it but tried anyways without it and they didnt say poo poo at the dmv lol. I dunno its crapshoot i guess but how good is the dmv's training anyways? They seem just as likely to reject your correct paperwork as they are to not give a poo poo or be completely oblivious how they should handle it.

Autoexec.bat
Dec 29, 2012

Just one more level
Here in Georgia anything 1963-1985 just needs a bill of sale, a title bond, and have the police inspect it to make sure it's not stolen and you can get a title for cases like that.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

Autoexec.bat posted:

Here in Georgia anything 1963-1985 just needs a bill of sale, a title bond, and have the police inspect it to make sure it's not stolen and you can get a title for cases like that.

Do you see this poo poo, Ohio?

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I think my 20 years as hurricane chaser might be a little relevant ive been through more hurricanws than moat shiitty newscasters

Autoexec.bat posted:

Actually that may be why, it was a 75. It came with an affidavit that it wasnt stolen instead of a title because Connecticut does something weird like that instead of issuing new titles if they are lost. So heads up about Connecticut cars, it can be a bitch if your state is picky. Most of the old cars there are rust buckets though so it shouldnt come up much lol.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
https://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/cto/d/06-shinka-rx8-ls-swapped/6262920244.html
:lol:

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

What's lol about it? Honest Q.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
It's too bad about the paint. The :lol: is referring to the amount of fun it'd be.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

My mazda is a very similar paint color, its very pretty when clean, but hard to keep it that way. I really like it tbh, but I still would have preferred white.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

BlackMK4 posted:

Apparently, on the IS300,

This showed up today on jalopnik

http://jalopnik.com/for-6-999-could-this-2002-lexus-is300-sportcross-be-y-1801814241

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
Man I love the IS300 gauges.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

I'd pay $6k for that. I think they are a really good daily beater, 85% of an E46 with 30% of the maintenance. Came with a LSD option, and putting one in a non-optioned car is like $300 total. Gas mileage sucks, but that's to be expected.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

CornHolio posted:

Man I love the IS300 gauges.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

BlackMK4 posted:

I'd pay $6k for that. I think they are a really good daily beater, 85% of an E46 with 30% of the maintenance. Came with a LSD option, and putting one in a non-optioned car is like $300 total. Gas mileage sucks, but that's to be expected.

Sucks that they're all autos (IIRC on the wagons), but yeah. You could do a lot worse.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
In my quest for a fun roomy car I looked at those. They are super cool but yeah, all autos, and hard to find. I think last I looked a few years ago I couldn't find more than two for sale in the country at any one time.

There is an article out there somewhere where somebody 2JZ swapped one with a manual, as one is wont to do.

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
buy this please

https://stlouis.craigslist.org/cto/d/1992-toyota-previa-all-trac/6296081077.html

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

All Trac AND manual?

Good Lord.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Jesus christ that is like 5 min away from me. I wish I didn't have my car so I could buy that one.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

My god, I had no idea such a beast existed. A manual minivan + awd. I just soiled myself.

Network42
Oct 23, 2002
It could also come with a supercharged engine, but IIRC you couldn't the get 5 speed AWD supercharged trifecta.

Unless someone buys that and swaps it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Network42 posted:

It could also come with a supercharged engine, but IIRC you couldn't the get 5 speed AWD supercharged trifecta.

Unless someone buys that and swaps it.

Throatwarbler posted:

Jesus christ that is like 5 min away from me. I wish I didn't have my car so I could buy that one.

Now you know your true purpose in life.