Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll

Laserface posted:

Add another step "oh man, they only play Gemini off Dead Roots Stirring and then it's all new stuff" :(

Pls don't be rude. He work very hard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spaced ninja
Apr 10, 2009

Toilet Rascal
Oh poo poo. I was meaning to buy tickets to that but looks like they added a Houston date as well. Score!

Bonus. It's a two day festival.

http://www.endhipendit.com

spaced ninja fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Aug 30, 2017

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.
Primitive Man and Bell Witch are heading out together in October/November and it's gonna be good.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Detective Thompson posted:

Primitive Man and Bell Witch are heading out together in October/November and it's gonna be good.

I was really hoping they'd add a Cleveland show. I guess I'm driving to Columbus.

Parachute
May 18, 2003
man i would love to see wovenhand as a full band instead of just david eugene edwards solo which was still awesome. he even played a couple 16hp songs

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Parachute posted:

man i would love to see wovenhand as a full band instead of just david eugene edwards solo which was still awesome. he even played a couple 16hp songs

Dude, im so jealous. Ive seen them as a band 3 times and id pay a lot to see him solo

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

I won two tickets to Earthless tomorrow and have nobody to go with me.

flirty dental hygienist
Jul 24, 2007

All aboard the knuckle train to FIST PLANET!!

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

I won two tickets to Earthless tomorrow and have nobody to go with me.

I won two tickets to the Melvins in Orlando and have no way of getting there. It's a ~2 hour drive from where I'm at. Feels bad

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

flirty dental hygienist posted:

I won two tickets to the Melvins in Orlando and have no way of getting there. It's a ~2 hour drive from where I'm at. Feels bad

You should make the drive because they are putting on some really loving good shows right now.

flirty dental hygienist
Jul 24, 2007

All aboard the knuckle train to FIST PLANET!!

butros posted:

You should make the drive because they are putting on some really loving good shows right now.

I'm for sure gonna go to the Sept. 16th show in Tampa (like a 45 min drive). I missed them the last time they came through with Jeff Pinkus on bass, I don't want to miss seeing them with Steven McDonald. It just sucks that I can't do both.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

I guess this is more heavy rock than metal, but I think it works fine here.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63YFWtwaFN0

OpaqueEcho
Feb 8, 2003

oh no no bro oh no

Detective Thompson posted:

I guess this is more heavy rock than metal, but I think it works fine here.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63YFWtwaFN0

this is good as gently caress

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Y'all might like Cloud Catcher.

Long shot, but I still got an extra ticket and Earthless hasn't gone on yet if you're in the Fort Collins area.

im_sorry
Jan 15, 2006

(9999)
Ultra Carp

OpaqueEcho posted:

this is good as gently caress

I agree with you - I had to go to Bandcamp and give them my money after the first song.

Also, if anyone bought Demon Head's "Thunder on the Field", and finds it missing from their Bandcamp collection, E-mail the band about it - this happened to me, and it turned out that they had accidentally deleted it from their catalog and readded it, and they were really nice about getting me a code to readd it to my collection.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...
I told my friend that there oughta be a First World War themed doom band, and she told me to check out 1914:

https://x1914x.bandcamp.com/album/eschatology-of-war

Their tunes are a nice mix of doom and black metal, and I really like their use of samples.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
I dig that old timey radio sample opening in Frozen in Trenches

HeavingGirth
Oct 6, 2014

I was looking for bands similar to EHG, The Disease Concept, and Fistula to scratch a sludgy itch and came across this: https://argentorecords.bandcamp.com/track/decay-in-hades and I found it to be rather rad.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Do you hate owls?
https://owlcrusher.bandcamp.com/

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
Stumbled across these guys on Spotify. "CRANIAL"

The loving drop in the track Towers is so loving gnarly. Pretty straight forward stuff but super crushing riffage.

https://momentofcollapserecords.bandcamp.com/album/dark-towers-bright-lights

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Wormwood is putting out their first full-length and here's a track from it.
http://thesludgelord.blogspot.com/2017/09/track-premiere-forfeit-life-to-wormwood.html

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Electric Wizard announced a new album and here is a song from it.

https://open.spotify.com/album/5M0f3Rs2UxEYXm5C6EaHvG

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

New Wiz is always worth a spin or two when it comes out, but most of my hype is for another US tour.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

The riffs are solid but it sounds so weirdly clean for an Electric Wizard song.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Digging the new Electric Wizard tune. Pretty straightforward stuff. I dig the album title.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Wizard has had the frontman of Satan's Satyrs playing bass for a few years now, and I really don't understand how that works as the Satyrs are from the greater DC area and play shows around here somewhat frequently. Also I think I read that Liz is an illegal immigrant to UK. Basically I don't understand how they manage to get in the same room and function to the extent that they do.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
They don't tour much and you can do a whole lot over the Internet these days.

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

There was a time when I fed from golden chalices,
but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.

Ingmar terdman posted:

Also I think I read that Liz is an illegal immigrant to UK.

Jus Oborn is Electric Wizard. Besides, didn't he and Liz get married too?

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Yeah I think so, didn't think about that. I vaguely remember him mentioning that being a hassle for them in an old interview.

xiansi
Jan 26, 2012

im judjing all goons cause they have bad leader, so a noral member is associated whith thoose crasy one

Personaly i would quit the goons if i was in cause of thoose crasy ppl
Clapping Larry
How the hell have I only just heard of Usnea? I am a poo poo doom fan. Relapse Records too, no excuse really.

Anyway:

http://www.relapse.com/usnea-portals-into-futility/

“Floydian vastness that both balances and amplifies the overwhelming, crushing heaviness"

Sounds about right.

And gently caress me if they're not playing London next month. With UFOmammut no less. That's £15 I ain't going to regret.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Elder did all their demos and song writing with Nick in Berlin and the rest of the band in the US.

In the same interview he also trashed stoner metal and is trying everything he can to move the band away from that and wants to tour with tool as a goal.

Weird priorities given that DSR was probably the gateway to elder for most of their fans and while I appreciate the new style of the band it's significantly less good and dumping on your audience for liking "derivative 70s rock" is a bit dickish.

I only buy the new records to support them for making DSR which as you can probably tell is my favourite album of all time.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Ingmar terdman posted:

Wizard has had the frontman of Satan's Satyrs playing bass for a few years now, and I really don't understand how that works as the Satyrs are from the greater DC area and play shows around here somewhat frequently. Also I think I read that Liz is an illegal immigrant to UK. Basically I don't understand how they manage to get in the same room and function to the extent that they do.

Some bands do a lot without living close, there's at least a couple of bands round here where one member lives in Australia and another in New Zealand and they manage to play shows and so on.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Laserface posted:

In the same interview he also trashed stoner metal and is trying everything he can to move the band away from that and wants to tour with tool as a goal.

Weird priorities given that DSR was probably the gateway to elder for most of their fans and while I appreciate the new style of the band it's significantly less good and dumping on your audience for liking "derivative 70s rock" is a bit dickish.

on one hand, would they have ever made it without a strong scene to support them from the start? being abled to play around the world to a crowd who still go to shows, buys albums and merch and generally supports their favourite bands is definitely not something most bands can do without major label support.

then on the other hand stoner metal is a genre that doesn't exactly reward originality and innovation. on the contrary, people will accept even the most buttheaded rip off bands if they've got the right sound and looks.

i'm not an elder fan and am not sure if i've even heard them, but from what i've read here they're pretty ambitious and accomplished songwriters. can't blame them if they're feeling trapped in the stoner scene and wanting to get out.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I can't blame Elder guy at all. These genres are so dogmatic. If you organically formed a connection to the scene without wanting to be involved in the very nature of it I have to think it's going to wear on you heavily.

Laserface posted:

Electric Wizard announced a new album and here is a song from it.

https://open.spotify.com/album/5M0f3Rs2UxEYXm5C6EaHvG

This is good. Different but I think they needed that. It's still Electric Wizard and the riffs are killer.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Kilometers Davis posted:

I can't blame Elder guy at all. These genres are so dogmatic. If you organically formed a connection to the scene without wanting to be involved in the very nature of it I have to think it's going to wear on you heavily.

Their first album is sludge metal, and the second is a heavy psych rock album with more of the proggy style they're known for now. I would assume they wanted to be a part of it at some stage.

I get that they've probably grown up and found their sound, but it's pretty savage to complain about the genre when it's what got them where they are because they were extremely good at it.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Laserface posted:

Their first album is sludge metal, and the second is a heavy psych rock album with more of the proggy style they're known for now. I would assume they wanted to be a part of it at some stage.

I get that they've probably grown up and found their sound, but it's pretty savage to complain about the genre when it's what got them where they are because they were extremely good at it.

yeah it's kinda dumb, considering how good stoner metal fans have been to them. talk about alienating your fanbase, hah. still, i get what they're saying. maybe they should hold off saying stuff like that in interviews until they've actually left the stoner scene behind, though. cos honestly come next summer i'm betting they're playing on every single desert fest & similar, again.

Dyna Soar fucked around with this message at 09:44 on Sep 9, 2017

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
If you've got some time to waste, I could use help putting together a playlist loosely inspired by Sabbath's "Planet Caravan" and could use some help. I've got stuff like:

Black Sabbath - Planet Caravan, Zeitgeist
Cathedral - Astral Queen
Down - Jail
Kyuss - A Day Early and A Dollar Extra, Space Cadet
Monster Magnet - Black Balloon, Zodiac Lung

but I'm open to suggestions!

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

Melvins - Shevil

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Orchid - Strange Winds
Orchid - Albatross

They have a few others given they are big Sabbath fans.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Those are fantastic suggestions, just what I was thinking of -- thank you!

Also, kinda embarrassed to have spaced on possibly the most Sabbath-worshiping band in Orchid. I have 3 of their releases too :downs:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...
I guess you could toss in Sleep - Some Grass if you're doing a mix of quiet interlude songs.

I just remembered how much I like Bog Oak's version of Planet Caravan: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Evhjq-WEleo